Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
Rainbow Dash
Bat Boy

St. Louis Cardinals pick up Paul Goldschmidt

Today, the Arizona Diamondbacks decided to throw away Paul Goldschmidt to St. Louis. In return, they got right-handed pitcher Luke Weaver, catcher Carson Kelly and infielder Andy Young.

The Brewers and Cubs better watch out, because here comes the Cardinals.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...ouis-cardinals
Old 12-05-2018, 09:59 PM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

I am shocked that they moved Weaver.
I have been waiting for them to move Kelly.

If they sign Machado it will be a good offseason.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:33 PM   #3
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

The Cardinals get one of the best players in baseball. The Diamondbacks get some depth pieces. What a deal for the Cardinals!
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 06:35 AM   #4
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
The Cardinals get one of the best players in baseball. The Diamondbacks get some depth pieces. What a deal for the Cardinals!
To be fair to Arizona, Goldschmidt is a free agent after this upcoming season. I'm guessing the D-backs figure that they wouldn't be able to resign him, so they might as well try to convert that to resources rather than a compensation pick. But any team trading for him may only have him for one season, so the haul was never going to be rich.

Also, he's basically the same age as Pujols was when he went to the Angels. So caveat emptor if you're a team looking to sign him to a big contract.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:11 AM   #5
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

I hate that the MLB consists of 10 parent clubs and 20 AAAA franchises.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Are the Cardinals one of the "parent clubs"? That's been in doubt for the past few years and remains in doubt today.
Old 12-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #7
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

To the Cardinals and Cardinals fans, I have but one thing to say to you.....

*ahem*...You can cram it with walnuts!

Great signing! St. Louis had GOT to be buzzing about this!
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:40 PM   #8
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
I hate that the MLB consists of 10 parent clubs and 20 AAAA franchises.
Except that when done smartly, the ‘AAAA’ clubs have have shown that they can win when they spend their money smartly.

The Diamondbacks drafted smartly and got the best years out of Goldschmidt for his best value per $
He will still be productive but will never again equal that dollar per value. His next team whether it is St. Louis or whomever will have to overpay on what history has shown will most likely be a declining player.

Arizona did pretty much what all smart teams aim to do. Control a player for his best value years when they are underpaid and then dump them.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:07 AM   #9
rink23
Hall Of Famer

Great trade. Didn't give up much at all and the Birds have their best middle of the order bat since Matt Holliday, circa 2014.
Had a number of other thoughts I typed up, but I got kicked off the server while I was writing it.
So when I pressed submit, they just disappeared into the ether.
It's been doing that a lot lately.
rink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
Except that when done smartly, the ‘AAAA’ clubs have have shown that they can win when they spend their money smartly.

The Diamondbacks drafted smartly and got the best years out of Goldschmidt for his best value per $
He will still be productive but will never again equal that dollar per value. His next team whether it is St. Louis or whomever will have to overpay on what history has shown will most likely be a declining player.

Arizona did pretty much what all smart teams aim to do. Control a player for his best value years when they are underpaid and then dump them.
For my taste, the AAAA haven't been as concerned w/being smart as much as being profitable. Only a third of the teams look to FA to boost their teams. The rest just want to wait on their prospects. & if they don't produce a title before everyone turns 28, they are too quick to sell off & start over. The best teams do a balance of both the farm system & added pieces. Not just one or the other.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:14 AM   #11
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He will still be productive but will never again equal that dollar per value.
Of course not. No player ever produces a lower WAR/dollar value than they do during their first six years of control. Even late bloomers don't do that.

Quote:
His next team whether it is St. Louis or whomever will have to overpay on what history has shown will most likely be a declining player.
That may or may not be true compared to what other teams are paying declining comparable star players. The situation must be judged by comparing Goldie's next deal to other 31 y/o's signing 5-7 year contracts as the marquee player on a franchise. Of course David Peralta is probably a better deal on performance right now, but he is not the face of the franchise and doesn't put butts in the seats around the league (yet).

We will need to see the contract and the entirety of the performance under the contract to know for certain. You may turn out to be right if the situation is like Pujols. But Goldie is healthier right now than Pujols was at the same age.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #12
Elendil
Hall Of Famer

As an Astros fan, this one hurts! We need a big bat, any big bat. We're not in the hunt for Harper or Machado, and I'm not sure there's another pure hitter of Goldschmidt's quality in the hot stove talk.

Makes sense for the Cards to make their move now. Cubs going in the wrong direction, and Brewers can't compete with payroll.

Heaven is kicking back with a double Talisker and a churchwarden stuffed with latakia.
Elendil is offline   Reply With Quote