Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 03-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #41
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Nov 1 1882

Dear Joe,

I am sure you heard about how the season ended. We had an acceptable year, winning 54 games and losing 29, but finished behind the Chicagos for the National League pennant. At least we were ahead of Boston, which is something few other clubs can ever claim. Chicago easily defeated the Cincinnati club in the new World’s Series tournament, so they are the champions of all base ball.

However, the Troys are being disbanded for next season, so I will need to find another place to ply my trade. In better news, I have asked Ida’s father for her hand and he has agreed, so we will marry early next year. Of course I want you standing beside me when I do so.

This means I will need to find a club that will offer real opportunity for next season. There are new clubs starting in New York and Philadelphia, but I am thinking I may try to get on with one of the more established National League clubs. I was given an award as the National League’s best rookie of 1882, so hopefully there will be at least some club in need of a second baseman.

Best of luck in Akron this winter. I heard you managed to get into a game for the Louisvilles last season. Keep at it, my friend, and surely there will be a place for you in the game.

Regards,

Fritz
Old 03-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #42
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

CHADWICK SPORTS NEWSLETTER

LIST OF ALL TIME PROFESSIONAL BASE BALL CHAMPIONS

National Association

1871 – Boston Red Caps
1872 – Boston Red Caps
1873 – Boston Red Caps
1874 – Chicago White Stockings
1875 – Philadelphia Whites

National League

1876 – Boston Red Caps
1877 – Boston Red Caps
1878 – Boston Red Caps
1879 – Boston Red Caps
1880 – Boston Red Caps
1881 – Boston Red Caps
1882 – Chicago White Stockings

American Association

1882 – Cincinnati Reds

World’s Series Tournament

1882 – Chicago White Stockings over Cincinnati Reds, 4 games to 0
Old 03-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #43
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Mar 4 1883

Dear Joe,

It has been too long since we have spoken, but I need to give you the update. Ida and I ended up having a small wedding here in Louisville, as we simply could not wait until next season and I lacked the funds for a proper wedding with the Troy club disbanded.

However, I have found a club for next season. Believe it or not, it is the mighty Boston club! They contacted me and told me they wanted me to prepare to take over for Ross Barnes as the club’s second baseman. I agreed to take the position, as they have said they are trying to bring on some younger players to “revitalize” the club and take back the pennant from Chicago. They will pay me the princely sum of $464 per month this season, so Ida and I will do just fine even in the big city.

I look forward to practicing with the club. They suggested that this season they would try to find a place in the infield for both Mr. Barnes and myself, so we shall see what comes of this. I hope things are well with you, and hope to visit you at some point before the season starts. Best of luck there in Akron!

Regards,

Fritz
Old 03-06-2016, 05:20 PM   #44
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

Apr 23 1883

Dear Joe,

The club here in Boston has been true to its word in one respect: they have brought in some younger players to replace the old guard. Adrian Anson has been released, and John Reilly has been given the first base job. They have also brought in two top players from Worcester, Art Irwin and Harry Stovey, to take over for the club. I think we will be competitive with those boys from Chicago this season.

However, our manager Mr. Ray has informed me that I will begin the season on the bench, as there is no spot in the infield for me. This is frustrating, as I thought I had played well enough to deserve a spot, and it seemed that was why Boston brought me in. Nevertheless, Ida tells me I should just be patient – the club wants me to replace Barnes at some point and he is ten years older, so my time will come. Also, this is how things started last season in Troy and they ended up well.

Still, it is a blow. I will keep you posted on further developments – hopefully I will get some playing time with Boston shortly.

Regards,

Fritz
Old 03-07-2016, 12:25 AM   #45
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

May 19 1883

Dear Joe,

It is worse than I feared. I have not gotten into a single game yet for the Bostons. If we were winning, I could tolerate this as part of my training. However, we are in last place. As of this morning we have three wins and eight losses, and are already five games behind Chicago. I do not understand why I was brought here if I am not to get any games. About the only good thing I can say is that Ida and I have our needs met.

If this keeps up I do not know what I shall do. Barnes is leading the club in hitting so it does not seem fair for him to sit, but something must be done. I shall keep you informed, my friend – I am glad to hear things are going so well in Akron. Perhaps I will join you there if I cannot get a game here in Boston.

Regards,

Fritz
Old 03-07-2016, 10:05 AM   #46
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

May 25 1883

Dearest Ida,

Greetings from Detroit. I finally got into a game for the first time this season yesterday, as Barnes came up lame while running the bases in Wednesday’s game. The team is not certain yet how serious his injury is, so this may be only for one game. However, I made the most of it as I got a single and a double and we won the game 12-2. The team is still struggling, but we have won three in a row, and I hope this may be a sign of things to come.

I shall have more to tell you when we return home next week. I look forward to seeing you.

Yours

Fred
Old 03-07-2016, 11:57 AM   #47
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

June 4 1883

Dear Joe,

For the second season in a row, it looks like I am to benefit from another’s misfortune. This time it is Barnes who has suffered, as he has injured his hand and is to be out until later this month. I have started in six games since his injury, and the team has won four of them. We are still below .500 for the year and remain four games behind the Chicagos, but at least it is some progress. I am batting .280 in the games I have played, so perhaps I will get to keep playing as the season goes on.

I shall keep you updated of course. Ida sends her love and of course let us know if you get called up to the Louisville squad, as she would love to see you. In the meantime, stay well and I shall keep you updated on our season.

Regards,

Fritz
Old 03-07-2016, 02:39 PM   #48
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

June 16 1883

Dear Joe,

Things are continuing to go well for the team. We have played 15 games with me as the starter at second base, and have won 10 of them. This compares with 15 using Barnes, in which the club went 6-9. Can it be that I will retain the starting position even after the mighty Barnes returns? It seems doubtful.

Either way, the club is back into the race. Here are the five National League clubs currently showing a winning record:

Chicago 20-12
Phila. 18-13
Buffalo 16-12
Cleveland 17-13
Boston 16-14

We have one more game scheduled today against the Chicagos, whom we have already beaten twice in a row, then spend the next two weeks hosting the two new clubs – Philadelphia and New York. If things go well, we could be contenders. The second base job is mine for now. I will provide further updates as things happen.

Regards,

Fritz
Old 03-07-2016, 08:13 PM   #49
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

JUNE 27, 1883 – BOSTON DAILY JOURNAL

The Beaneaters won easily over the men from Gotham yesterday, with the final tally 19 to 1. This was the local boys’ tenth win in their last eleven contests, and it has brought them to the brink of first place, with both they and the Chicagos having 23 wins, though Chicago has one fewer defeat.

Yesterday’s player of the game was young second baseman Fred Pfeffer, the first time he has been given that honor as a member of the local club. In five trips to the plate, he had two walks, a single and a three-run home run, and he scored three runs while driving in two. The game snapped a six-game stretch of time when Pfeffer was 1 for 20. With Ross Barnes due to be ready to play soon, it appears young Pfeffer is headed back to the bench, but he had a big game to remind the hometown faithful that he can be a topnotch player someday when the job becomes his.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #50
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

JULY 1, 1883 – BOSTON DAILY JOURNAL

Sunday Base Ball Report

Are The Bostons Starting The Wrong Second Baseman?

The Boston faithful have long been enamored with the talented Ross Barnes. He has been one of the leading lights in professional base ball since before the Association existed, and for all that time he has played faithfully for the club. He is one of the all time leaders in most hits garnered, and four times he has been named the best fielder at second base in all of base ball. He helped lead Boston to the first six National League titles.

However, the club failed to win the title for the first time in 1882, and now there is some question whether Barnes should be the man starting for the Beaneaters. He and young Pfeffer have hit basically the same this season – Barnes is at .257 and Pfeffer at .259. But there is one thing that tells a different story. Barnes has started 17 games this season for the club, and in those games they have won 5 and lost 12. Pfeffer has started 22 games and the team has won 16 and lost 6. (Wee Davy Force has also started two games, both wins for the club.)

With these numbers, it may be worth considering a change, from Barnes to Pfeffer. This is the reason why the club brought in the 23-year-old Pfeffer this season – he played well for Troy last season and is the heir apparent to Barnes. Perhaps it is time for the heir apparent to take over somewhat sooner than expected. The club sits in third place, narrowly behind Chicago and Cleveland. If they are to defeat those western clubs, it may be necessary to have top players at each position.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:46 PM   #51
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

JULY 8, 1883 – BOSTON DAILY JOURNAL

Sunday Base Ball Report

Disaster In Beantown: Broken Knee For McVey

With the hometown club still locked in a pennant race with Chicago and Cleveland, disaster struck this week as mighty Cal McVey, the best hitter in professional base ball history and the all-time leader in hits with 1,139, has broken his knee and will be lost to the club for at least the remainder of the campaign. While the capable young Pat Deasley can fill in at catcher, he cannot replace the hitting the mighty McVey brought to the club. McVey was leading the National League with a .349 average when he went down, and this has to really hurt the chances for the boys to bring back the pennant.

As of today the standings at the top of the league are:

Chicago 28-18
Cleveland 26-19
Boston 27-20

Other than McVey, this season’s best hitters have been young Harry Stovey, brought over from Worcester at the season’s start, and the venerable Ed Pinkham, who is also nursing a minor injury. It will take much for the club to compensate for this great loss.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #52
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

JULY 15, 1883 – BOSTON DAILY JOURNAL

Sunday Base Ball Report

Local Boys Again Hit By Injuries

While the hometown nine continue to battle with the western clubs for National League supremacy, they are dealing with another injury as third baseman Ed Pinkham has gone down with a wrist injury. Pinkham’s career was thought to be over at age 36 after two seasons without any playing time, but he has batted .302 for the club and has been a very helpful addition. Now it falls to Ezra Sutton, who is hitting only .197, to fill in until Pinkham returns.

Currently only the hitting of Harry Stovey and the pitching of George Knight and Lee Richmond are keeping the Beantowners in the race. They will certainly need someone to come through soon if they are to defeat the Chicagos in this battle.

Meanwhile, in the American Association there is another battle at the top, as New York, St. Louis and Cincinnati are all locked in a close battle. Base ball has not one, but two excellent pennant races taking shape.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:11 PM   #53
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

JULY 22, 1883 – BOSTON DAILY JOURNAL

Sunday Base Ball Report

Beaneaters Take Three of Four From Chicago as Cleveland Moves Into First

The local boys were visiting Chicago this week and managed to win three of four games, helping their cause in the battle for the National League pennant. Furthermore, in an 11-inning battle on Saturday Harry Stovey became the first player ever to get a single, double, triple and home run all in the same game. This cycle of success helped the team to a 7-6 victory in the game.

The club also made a trade with the Philadelphia club from the American Association. Curry Foley, an outfielder who was hitting .248 on the year was sent to Philadelphia in exchange for pitcher Bill Sweeney. Sweeney has yet to play for Boston, while Foley has been doing well in Philadelphia.

As we head into a new week, here are the top teams from each of the two base ball leagues:

National League

Cleveland 34-21
Chicago 33-21
Boston 33-22

American Association

New York 35-18
St. Louis 34-20
Cincinnati 32-21
Old 03-27-2016, 01:52 PM   #54
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

JULY 29, 1883 – BOSTON DAILY JOURNAL

Sunday Base Ball Report

Red Stockings Move Into Tie For First

After a week in which the Bostons won four of five games in Buffalo, they have moved into a tie with Chicago for the top of the National League, with Cleveland just one game behind. During the week, Ed Pinkham returned from injury and continued his hard-hitting ways, Harry Stovey continued to be one of the league’s best hitters, and Bill Sweeney took over the #2 pitcher duties and won both the games he started for the club. They begin to look like real contenders. This week, the club will be playing in Cleveland, which will be an important series for both clubs.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:49 PM   #55
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

AUGUST 5, 1883 – BOSTON DAILY JOURNAL

Sunday Base Ball Report

Beaneaters Drop Three of Four in Cleveland, Fall to Third

This week the hometown Bostons had a difficult journey to Cleveland, and after losing three of four games they now are in third place in the National League behind both Cleveland and the Chicagos. However, the boys are on their way home now and will play last place Providence this week, so there are high hopes for them improving this week. Pinkham and Stovey are still the club’s hitting stars, and Barnes and Arthur Irwin provide good defense at the middle infield positions. The club’s current eight starters and their averages on the season:

C – Pat Deasley, .246
1B – John Reilly, .245
2B – Ross Barnes, .257
SS – Arthur Irwin, .274
3B – Ed Pinkham, .312
LF – Harry Stovey, .290
CF – Pete Hotaling, .240
RF – Orator Shafer, .229
Old 04-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #56
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

AUGUST 12, 1883 – BOSTON DAILY JOURNAL

Sunday Base Ball Report

The Boys Are In First Place!

After defeating the Providence Grays in four consecutive games, the Beaneaters have moved to the top of the National League, and if the season ended today they would win the pennant and do battle with the New York Association club in the World’s Series tournament. The four games were not even close, as the Beaneaters outscored Providence 39-6 over the four games. Now they need only hold onto the top spot and with their schedule for the rest of August putting them against the bottom three clubs in the league, it appears they may be up to the task.

With such an easy schedule and the club in good health other than McVey, things are looking bright in Boston.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:28 PM   #57
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

August 19 1883

Dear Joe,

As I have not heard from you in some time, I write to see how things are in Akron. Here in Boston things are going well, and the club is in first place with a lead of four games over Chicago and Cleveland. It looks like we may retake the pennant this season. I am enclosing a few weeks’ worth of newspaper reports that you might be interested in. I am mentioned in one of them.

However, for the past few weeks my participation for the club has been nonexistent. You were right when you said the club here would never willingly remove Barnes as the second baseman, and they are probably right to keep him. He has been hitting well and is currently at .283 for the season. While we are likely to play in the World’s Series tournament, I am going to have the best seat in the place – the bench.

Would it have been better to sign on with a lesser club in hopes of playing more frequently? I do not know. Barnes is 33 and of course I am just 23, so perhaps I need only be patient. However, whatever the wisdom of my earlier decision, my services have been reserved by the Bostons so I am bound to them now. Did our nation not recently fight a great war about such things?

In any event, hope all is well. Send me news of things there. How are things with the local club? I hope you have not given up on the dream of making the Louisville hometown nine.

Regards

Fritz
Old 04-08-2016, 02:21 PM   #58
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

AUGUST 26, 1883 – BOSTON DAILY JOURNAL

Sunday Base Ball Report

Boston Streak at 13 Wins – Pennant Looks Assured

With a current winning streak of 13 games, the Beaneaters are looking like the dominant club in the National League. They have opened up a four-game lead on Chicago and it looks as though they may recapture the pennant. Key to the club’s rise has been the performance of legendary second baseman Ross Barnes, who is now hitting .312 on the season.

If the season ended today, the New York Metropolitans of the American Association would take on the Beaneaters, though the St. Louis Browns are close behind in the Association standings.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #59
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

SEPTEMBER 2, 1883 – BOSTON DAILY JOURNAL

Sunday Base Ball Report

Unbeatable Beaneaters Have 17-Game Streak

The last time the Boston Beaneaters lost a base ball game was one month ago today. At that point, they were in third place in the National League, just behind Chicago and Cleveland. Now, they lead Cleveland by six games and Chicago by seven and seem like a certain wager to win the pennant for the seventh time in the eight years of the National League.

Both George Knight and trade acquisition Bill Sweeney have been first-rate pitchers for the club, and Barnes and Stovey have been the top hitters, followed closely by Arthur Irwin (.290) and Ed Pinkham (.284). Even Pat Deasley, a catcher pressed into service by a season-ending injury to Cal McVey, is hitting .281 for the club.

At present it appears that either New York or St. Louis will be their opponent in the World’s Series tournament, but they appear to have the stuff to defeat either club, as they still are the supreme club in professional base ball.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:29 PM   #60
Eckstein 4 Prez
Hall Of Famer

SEPTEMBER 9, 1883 – BOSTON DAILY JOURNAL

Sunday Base Ball Report

Boston Streak Reaches 21 Wins

With the Beaneaters not having lost in such a long time, it is fair to wonder whether they will lose again this season. The only remaining question in the National League is the margin by which they will exceed Chicago and Cleveland, as they are nearly certain of winning back the pennant this season. It is completely uncertain who they will face in the World’s Series tournament, as New York and St. Louis continue to engage in a pitched battle in the younger of the two leagues.