Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #41
tfong
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPain View Post
This is the first time I've bought a game, and I've been told that it might become playable after few versions. Imagine if a big company like rockstar did this with a new GTA? They released GTA 6 and told you to wait an year and promise the next version will be better?

"We promise that GTA 7 will be better, sorry that GTA 6 was unplayable, but thanks for supporting us. Just wait an year and pay another 60 bucks for a playable version, kkthxbye"

I expect my games to be playable when I buy them, just sayin'. Even if it's the "first version"
FHM is a niche game and as such many niche games progress like this. You weren't around for EHM evidently but it was the same, some would even argue worse. There just isn't that much funding for EHM/FHM type games, even the original FM ran through lots of issues but now they are one of the most popular sim games on the net.

Would I like more progress on the game? Yes
But none of this complaining is really going to help currently except discourage the community.

The difference between WarZ and this game? I think the developers are actually truly looking to put out a good NHL sim game, unlike WarZ where I saw it was a straight on cash grab from the beginning.
tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:30 AM   #42
PromisedPain
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
FHM is a niche game and as such many niche games progress like this. You weren't around for EHM evidently but it was the same, some would even argue worse. There just isn't that much funding for EHM/FHM type games, even the original FM ran through lots of issues but now they are one of the most popular sim games on the net.

Would I like more progress on the game? Yes
But none of this complaining is really going to help currently except discourage the community.

The difference between WarZ and this game? I think the developers are actually truly looking to put out a good NHL sim game, unlike WarZ where I saw it was a straight on cash grab from the beginning.
Hah, Talking about WarZ. I actually got refunded twice instead of once, and I didn't have to pay the other half back because it was their fault. That's the only good memory I have of that game....

I did play EHM, but yeah. I started from 2007 version and I never really played the freeware.
PromisedPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #43
thepete
Minors (Double A)

So...how's this going?
thepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #44
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepete View Post
So...how's this going?
I'm doing quite well, thanks for asking
Old 09-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #45
Särås
Minors (Single A)

Can´t we please get the new patch, or at least test it a bit!?
Just like to play the game but not as it is right now...

So a small status update of the list of things in the new update and a date for it?!? Please....

Car maniac and hockey enthusiast...
Särås is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #46
Garethw87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Särås View Post
Can´t we please get the new patch, or at least test it a bit!?
Just like to play the game but not as it is right now...

So a small status update of the list of things in the new update and a date for it?!? Please....
It's coming!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #47
Särås
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garethw87 View Post
It's coming!
Hopping so....

Car maniac and hockey enthusiast...
Särås is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 05:17 PM   #48
Crombeen
Minors (Triple A)

Thats the entire problem, the update that's coming in the next few days should've been FHM 1.0 because nobody is playing this game at this moment because the need something to get fixed.
Compare this to the periods when they released Beta's versions, back than we all did play this game even when we knew it wasn't perfect because it was Beta code.

This game should never have been release early september but they should've pushed the release-date to 1st of october - same date the NHL season starts, that's a nice date that makes sense for releasing a hockey game.

Just think about how much code they could've done right, cleaned up and Beta testing in one full month (extra) development time.
It would've saved them lots of trash-talk and people asking for refunds over the last few weeks.

I never understood why it had to be released on sept. the 2nd and why that date was set in stone to be final date. It was there first hockey game - first version, everybody would've understood if the release date got pushed ahead because the game wasn't ready yet, it's always better than releasing a 70% finished game and label that Final version.
This game went from a total unplayable Beta to a playable Beta (total AI-/trade rewrite) to a Final version in what ??? less than 14 days ?

No, not happy about how they released this game maybe they could release new games like this in 1998 but this is def. not the way to do it in 2013.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:25 PM   #49
gmerger
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crombeen View Post
Thats the entire problem, the update that's coming in the next few days should've been FHM 1.0 because nobody is playing this game at this moment because the need something to get fixed.
Compare this to the periods when they released Beta's versions, back than we all did play this game even when we knew it wasn't perfect because it was Beta code.

This game should never have been release early september but they should've pushed the release-date to 1st of october - same date the NHL season starts, that's a nice date that makes sense for releasing a hockey game.

Just think about how much code they could've done right, cleaned up and Beta testing in one full month (extra) development time.
It would've saved them lots of trash-talk and people asking for refunds over the last few weeks.

I never understood why it had to be released on sept. the 2nd and why that date was set in stone to be final date. It was there first hockey game - first version, everybody would've understood if the release date got pushed ahead because the game wasn't ready yet, it's always better than releasing a 70% finished game and label that Final version.
This game went from a total unplayable Beta to a playable Beta (total AI-/trade rewrite) to a Final version in what ??? less than 14 days ?

No, not happy about how they released this game maybe they could release new games like this in 1998 but this is def. not the way to do it in 2013.
This entire release has become comical at this point. I think everyone here expected a few bumps with a first release, but at this point I am starting to feel like this game has dug itself into a hole it may never be able to get out of.
gmerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:30 PM   #50
BlackIce
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crombeen View Post

I feel like making a sign that says : What he just said! =) Well spoken brother!
BlackIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #51
tfong
Minors (Single A)

Unfortunately there ant many other options out there to play hockey Sims. That being said I fired up ehm2007 again last night and marveled howmuch time I can sink into that game lol.
tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #52
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

So, can I start a game that isn't going to have an invalid database version with the next patch yet? I mean, if they are still making database changes, then this game isn't even halfway done.
magicspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #53
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicspeedo View Post
So, can I start a game that isn't going to have an invalid database version with the next patch yet? I mean, if they are still making database changes, then this game isn't even halfway done.
As we wrote, starting with version 1.0.0 it will be possible to continue save games. Sometimes new additions and/or fixes will work better with new games but we will explicitly note that for relevant fixes.

For the "halfway done" comment: we don't stop working on our games after release, we continue our work until we start with the new version. We will release not only patches but also "contend updates" throughout the year. Save Games will be compatible from patch to patch and even from version to version if the user wants that.

The only exception of course are changes to the database which will only be effective when starting a new game (which is the same with every other text sim game I know).
Old 10-02-2013, 01:33 AM   #54
AngryCoach
Bat Boy

Been lurking here for some time, watching the progress of the game.

Without a doubt, the game was unplayable for awhile, there. Downloaded the new patch today and they've made a ton of important improvements over the last couple of releases.The devs are headed in the right direction. The game is missing some features- hopefully those will be added soon.

However, it seems commissioner mode is still limited. I can't seem to modify team's internal salary caps, and when I edit a players potential and attributes it doesn't seem to work. I hope it's improved soon, it would make the game far more playable.
AngryCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #55
magicspeedo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
For the "halfway done" comment: we don't stop working on our games after release, we continue our work until we start with the new version. We will release not only patches but also "contend updates" throughout the year. Save Games will be compatible from patch to patch and even from version to version if the user wants that.

woah bro, I know this. I've been around your other products for a while. I was just saying that if you guys are still in that phase of development then this game has quite a ways to go. I've paid for my copy and I'm excited about the future, it's just the growing pains suck even if they were to be expected with a new product.
magicspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #56
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicspeedo View Post
woah bro, I know this. I've been around your other products for a while. I was just saying that if you guys are still in that phase of development then this game has quite a ways to go. I've paid for my copy and I'm excited about the future, it's just the growing pains suck even if they were to be expected with a new product.
Maybe you misunderstand me. We have 3 parts now:

1. Bugs
Our main concern at the moment. We already admitted that the 1.0.0 patch version was bad and we were as disappointed as everyone else. Since the release our main work went into fixing as many bugs as possible and yesterdays patch (together with the first one) should make the game much more stable. We now turned our focus to custom games and the in-game editor to squeeze the bugs there.

2. Disabled stuff
We still have a few disabled features in the editor and thats next on our list to enable them. The features are all done, just not tested at all.

3. Missing stuff
As far as I know the only feature missing is Online League Support, which we had to cut before release. As promised, we will add it as soon as we have some time (I guess everyone will understand that 1) and 2) should have priority).

What I mean with "we will continue to work on the game" is just that we don't put the keyboard away once we reach the point we think that the game runs but look and decide what additions would improve the game further. We will base our decisions on user feedback and our preferences.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #57
silvam14
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
3. Missing stuff
As far as I know the only feature missing is Online League Support, which we had to cut before release. As promised, we will add it as soon as we have some time (I guess everyone will understand that 1) and 2) should have priority).
What about facegen? is that coming?
Old 10-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #58
lorreporre
Minors (Double A)

@Sebastian
In another post you talk about
Quote:
improve the overall experience [thats stuff like better filters, a few more tactic options, ...].
where does that fit in, is it coming after the "missing and disabled stuff" ? coz i for sure think the fix of search filter being more important than the editor being enabled !
Old 10-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #59
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorreporre View Post
@Sebastian
In another post you talk about

where does that fit in, is it coming after the "missing and disabled stuff" ? coz i for sure think the fix of search filter being more important than the editor being enabled !
I guess that is personal preference and a lot of people will disagree with you. BUT as with this patch (that made additions to the In_Game screen to improve it) we will of course look around and try to improve the overall game and better filters are very, very high on the list (we already have a design for it ready to be implemented).
Old 10-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #60
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PromisedPain View Post
This is the first time I've bought a game, and I've been told that it might become playable after few versions. Imagine if a big company like rockstar did this with a new GTA? They released GTA 6 and told you to wait an year and promise the next version will be better?

"We promise that GTA 7 will be better, sorry that GTA 6 was unplayable, but thanks for supporting us. Just wait an year and pay another 60 bucks for a playable version, kkthxbye"

I expect my games to be playable when I buy them, just sayin'. Even if it's the "first version"
Rockstar did do that with GTA 5 Online...it didnt release till this week. Oh and it was very buggy and unplayable. Not sure if you saw their website but so many customers are angry over the online play (thats if it even let them play. I got stuck one the loading screen and couldnt even play).

My point is not every game will be bug free even the ones like GTA that sold an insane amount of copies in minutes. FHM will reach OOTPB status but will take some time. Everyone involved in the game has done an incredible job, especially for being a small team.
beezer2434 is offline   Reply With Quote