Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions

Old 10-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
pens66
Major Leagues

Observations in custom leagues

My little journey with custom leagues in the 1.2.10 beta patch

I did one of these before, focusing on the interface. Now it's time for custom leagues.
I simply wrote down my observations while I tried to set up a custom league in a certain way. It's basically in chronological order and doesn't go very in-depth but here you go:

- I choose to create a Major League in Germany with 12 teams in 2 divisions. The Minor League will play in Bavaria only.

- default "nation" is US&Canada; if you choose another one (i. e. Germany) all the team names should be randomized to be from that other country (i. e. German towns), but they are not...

- instead you have to manually put in German towns for every team -- a pain

- also you have to set every team's home country to your desired one -- more pain. It should switch automatically when you set the league's home country.

- if you change the country of your league, the hometowns you can set in the right column remain from the USA only... OF COURSE, the game (still) doesn't remember the changes you made here. You have to edit every single team in commissioner mode after you created your league -- a pain!!!

- default period length is (still) set to 5 minutes

- it is strange to be able to create a major league in any country and than see this country still have its real big league up and running. If I create a new major German league, the DEL couldn't survive and should be gone from the game. Seeing how FHM is set up I would guess that creates major problems for player creation and distribution, but I can't help it.

- there is no way to select which other leagues you want to run as playable or just in the background (like you can when you start a modern game). That makes custom leagues very slow.

- there is no way to set the rules regarding fighting. There should be the options a) majors b) 2+2+10 c) majors + game misconducts

- you can set a foreigner limit for your league. If you set it to 0, teams still draft and sign foreigners and there are foreign prospects listed as available in upcoming drafts. For the purposes of running the league I set the limit back to 99, not to cause any unwanted crashes.

- some German cities are listed with their English version in the database (e.g. Munich instead of München or Nuremberg instead of Nürnberg), while most others have their German name. Consistency would be nice.

- conlusion: If you can't properly set up a custom league in any other country than US&Canada, then DO NOT allow it. Simply remove the options. It makes the game look absolutely stupid.

- Opening day of the season: CRASH. I don't know why.

- luckily I set my custom league as a quickstart, so I tried it again. Funny thing on first sight: The game somehow recognized some of my teams in the major league and changed their nicknames to match the nicknames of the DEL teams in the same city. For example, my Munich team was renamed EC and Nürnberg was renamed Eiskatzen. Strange.

- funnily, after loading up the quickstart every player is now named Joe Unknown!!

- no crash this time as the first games roll around...

- sorting by GAA lists the highest GAA first, which is simply not right.

- the game doesn't log first goals and game winning goals

- shorthanded assists and powerplay assists are unsortable

- clicking on a player profile and the going back (still) does not remember what you sorted for

- after the first season I quit, because studying player movement is simply a pain if everybody has the same name

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by pens66; 10-02-2013 at 01:07 PM.
pens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Great post, thank you very much you took the time and write it!