Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
RobToxin
Major Leagues

Drops of Jupiter: The Rusty Craine Story

"And quit playing that stupid baseball game! You are thirty years old. Time to grow up!"
The sage words of Russell Darwin Craine III. My father.
Jerk!
Allow me to introudce myself. My name is Russell Darwin Craine IV. Known to my friends as Rusty. A nickname my father despises.
"Every time I hear the name Rusty, I am made full aware of what a freeloading slacker you are!"
Well, yeah, sure, I sit around in dad's huge house and play with my expensive toys.
And why not? CraineCorp is booming and dad is bringing home money even baseball players are jealous of.
And, it is not like dad made his fortune himself. Russell Darwin Craine, Junior, built CraineCorp up from the ground starting in the 1950s. Grandpa is the real workhorse of the Craine family. Dad? CraineCorp was dad's toy given to him by grandpa.
So, I prefer cars and computer games to business suits and meetings.
Does that make me a bad guy?
When I say 'computer games', I should probably rephrase that to mean computer baseball games. And not the X-Box stuff either. If you have excellent hand-eye coordination, you can easily beat the X-Box games without knowing a thing about real baseball strategy. That's not my gig. I like trying to out-think opponents. Not just out-joystick them.
Anyways, it was just after Valentine's Day 2013. The newest downloads of the baseball simulations were out and I was spending the morning just a bid hungover and looking at what games I wanted to get when dad told me we were going to CraineCorp for a very important meeting. Now, being as we were family, my sister and I were both on the CraineCorp board. I'll get to the Ice Queen, that would be my sister Liz, later. I'm sorry. Elizabeth. Don't call her Liz if you wish to leave the room with all of your male parts intact. I was still trying to water down the remnants of a Jim Beam headache while puffing a Marlboro Menthol and it took a few minutes for it to register that he actually expected me to be at this meeting.
"Really, dad, I'm sure the board will be just fine without my input into whatever it is you are doing. Most of them would probably prefer it that way."
"Oh, no. Not this meeting. Your presence, if not your input, is very much required. Now, get dressed and meet us downstairs. The car is waiting."
Then he clapped me on the shoulder and left my room. And me completely freaked out. Was that an actual gesture of affection? Or the equivalent of a mafia don's kiss of death?
The three of us sat in the back of the limo. Russell Number Three. Liz. And myself. Liz's blonde hair was chopped short, I guess to match the suit-thing she was trying to wear. Oh, good grief. Liz. The son my dad never had. She could be attractive enough, when she wanted to be. Never had lacked for attention from men. Daddy's money, or should I say granddaddy's money, probably had a lot to do with that.
But she was not interested.
Except for daddy, I really think Liz despised the entire male gender. Including me.
Especially me.
Even now, the stare of disdain was fixated firmly on her features. I smiled back at her and offered her a drink.
Yes, I was full aware that she abhorred the stuff. With a passion.
That's why I did it.
I can be a jerk, too.
It was the most boringest afternoon of my life. It should be against the law to force anyone to even leave their bed before noon. Especially when it is not baseball season.
"And now, onto our final business of the day...."
Thank God!
"...and the reason I brought my son here today."
Huh?
"Some of you may be aware that this city's Major League Baseball team is in near financial ruin."
The Florida...no, wait....the Miami Marlins. Financial ruin is a euphimism for cheap ownership, now?
"Well, we here at CraineCorp are going to do something about that."
Other than pay some players to play here, I had no idea what he was talking about.
"That's why we have decided to purchase the..."
"Marlins?" I looked at dad as if he had lost his mind. "You purchased the Marlins?"
"No, Ruseell, I didn't purchase the Marlins. I purchased the Hammerheads."
"The who?"
"The Jupiter Hammerheads. The Marlins' rookie development team in Jupiter, Florida. And, as owner of the Jupiter Hammerheads, I am announcing that my son, Russell Darwin Crain, IV, has just been hired as the team's manager. Now, instead of sitting around all day play-pretending manager at home on a computer, you are going to be a real-life baseball manager. For the Hammerheads. Which means you will be moving out of my house real soon and living with the rest of the team in a hotel in Jupiter. And to avoid conflict of interest, you will have to give up your spot on the board here at CraineCorp."
I noticed the smirk coming from the Ice Queen and realized right away. She knew about this. She was probably in on it.
"And Russell, you are also capable of being fired if I am not happy with the team. This meeting is adjourned."

Note: This is my first OOTP story and I have no clue what's going to happen. Just gonna play and see where it goes.
RobToxin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #2
Muskies
Major Leagues

Great Start, I look forward to reading
Muskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Tyke
All Star Starter

Very promising opening - I'll be following
Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

This should be fun!
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobToxin View Post
Note: This is my first OOTP story and I have no clue what's going to happen. Just gonna play and see where it goes.

I have no clue what's going to happen either. But after that first post, I am coming back to find out!
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
RobToxin
Major Leagues

Thanks to all the replies and followers. Now, on with our story.

I packed some clothes, books, accessories, et cetera in a brand new Miami Marlins duffel bag as I prepared to leave Miami for the almost two hour drive to Jupiter to attend the Marlins' spring training. The door to my room came open and the stupid lyrics from that Train song Drops of Jupiter filled my ears while the Ice Queen stood in my doorway with a grin from ear-to-ear.
"Oh, very funny, Liz," I snarled at her.
Amazingly, she took no offense whatsoever to the name Liz. Instead, she just shook her head and waltzed into the room like she owned the place. Which is how she entered any room she had ever been in.
"You just don't get it, Rusty."
Rusty? She has never, ever called me Rusty. Full scale defense alert mechanism radar swinging wide in her direction.
"Oh, what is there to get? You for sure have to be absolutely ecstatic about this. Older brother is out of the way. Now, you can make your climb right on up the CraineCorp ladder."
"Well sure, there is that. I love the business world. The meetings. The schmoozing. The jealous women wishing they could be me. The jealous men wishing they could be with me. It is rather...."
Ewww. I did not need to see that look on my sister's face. Of all people.
She sat down on my bed. "But, Rusty, I am not taking all that away from you. You hate that place. You hate that kind of work. You probably don't think much of my whole attitude about it. But, that's okay. I'm good at that sort of thing. You aren't."
"There you go. Tell me how much better you are than me. That's the Liz I know."
"Ugh! Men can be so dense! Yes, I am better than you. At corporate schmoozing. But this baseball thing. I could never have done what you did. Remember that league you used to be in? That had all fictional players? And you won it three straight years. Swindling even the best of the players in that league into backloaded trades that won them immediate championships but built you a dynasty."
"You remember that?"
"How could I not? You bragged for weeks on end every time you won. And then you gloated that the commissioner ended the league because your team was so stacked that no one could beat you for the next five years."
I laughed at the memory. So did she.
"Yeah, they had no idea how to look to the future and build a dynasty."
"And, they had no idea they were messing with a Craine. Face it, Rusty! You are just as cut throat as the rest of us. Only, you're a conniving baseball gamer. And, now, Pops has you where you can do the same thing in real life!"
"Not really, Liz. I won't be making deals. I won't be able to sign and trade players. I'm a manager of a rookie league team. For the Marlins, of all people. The only franchise in history to never win a divisional championship but to have won the World Series. Twice!"
That went completely over her head.
"I'm about as useful as a mail clerk at CraineCorp."
That she understood.
"Actually, Rusty, mail clerks are very useful. They play a vital role in the running of a corporation. If they don't get us our mail, we could miss out on a very important briefing or offer that could make us millions."
I looked at her. "Isn't that what e-mail is for?"
"Businesses didn't always have e-mail, Rusty. The little people make a difference and someday become big people. So, do what you know how to do. But, take this advice from me, even in the baseball world, you have to schmmoze or lose. Do what the Marlins tell you. When they tell you. And do it with a smile on your face."
"Why are you telling me this?"
"You're my brother, silly. Didn't you know that?"
I nodded.
"And, if you screw this up, it will be a total discredit to the Craine name!"
That's the Ice Queen I knew.
"Okay, Russell. Make us all proud!"
"Right, dad,"
"Your new car is in the driveway. It will be the most sensical car for you to use."
I stared out the front window.
At a blue Prius.
You got to be kidding me!
In just about two hours, I had arrived at Roger Dean Stadium. Roger Dean Stadium is the only stadium to be the home to two different major league teams during spring training. The Marlins. And the St Louis Cardinals. The Hammerheads are one of four minor league teams to call it home. The Palm Beach Cardinals, GCL Cardinals and GCL Marlins are also tennants of Roger Dean Stadium.
Roger Dean Stadium was built in 1998, seats 6,871 fans, and, last September, was home to the qualifying round of the 2013 World Baseball Classic.
"No, Mister Craine, you aren't managing the Hammerheads," I was informed by a security guard/desk clerk. "You've been assigned to the GCL Marlins. It would look bad if the son of the owner was the manager, know what I mean?"
The rookies. The bottom of the bottom of the ladder. Might as well be. Rookies managed by a rookie. Sounds about like the Marlins. And it showed what my dad new about baseball. The Hammerheads were a High-A team. Not a rookie league team.
"They don't even start playing until June!"
He shrugged. "That's what the schedule says. Go on in. Your staff is waiting."
My "staff" as it was consisted of two men. Jeff Schwartz and Bobby Bell.
Schwartz was the GCL Marlins' pitching coach. He was 48 years old from the Lochmoor Waterway Estates. Bobby Bell was the team's 49 year old hitting coach.
Their experience was key. I decided right away that to win these older men over, the best thing to do would be to trust them in their expertise.
Schwartz liked to hold runners and wasn't really fond of guarding lines. But he really disliked pitching around batters and playing the infield in.
Bell liked a fast offense that emphasized base running, stealing and the hit and run but he didn't like the squeeze bunt or bunting for a base hit.
And, neither guy had much faith in the Marlins' organization as a whole.
"The Yankees and Red Sox should be paying our salaries.," Bell said. "That's who we are preparing these rookies to play for, eventually."
"That will be the Marlins' problem," I said. "If one of these guys comes back in five or ten years and makes the Marlins pay for letting him leave, then we've done our job."
Schwartz laughed. "I think you just might be alright, Mister Craine."
"Call me Rusty."
"Rusty Craine. That sounds like a construction accident waiting to happen!"
Or a baseball managing disaster waiting to happen.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
Galeg
Major Leagues

Oh this is gonna be good.
Galeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Tyke
All Star Starter

Yeah!!
Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
elfsutton
All Star Reserve

Awesome start, very interesting. Will be watching where your career goes, should be fun.
elfsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
majesty95
All Star Starter

I'm following. Great start!
majesty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
RobToxin
Major Leagues

The GCL Marlins had 22 players assigned to them by the end of spring training. Of course, by June, these players would be moved around and the new draft picks would be on the team. But, for starters, the guys we had assigned to us at the present.
The pitching staff.
Starting pitcher #1: Jorgan Cavanerio. Age 18. From Cagua. Jorgan already seemed destined for a career in the minor leagues. Which seemed odd reading the scouting report. The sort of control scouts drool about. Well above-average breaking stuff. Feisty. Really goes after hitters. Tends to overthrow under pressure.
Starting pitcher #2: Hayden Fox. Age 22. From Mount Clemens, MI. Doesn't have big-league makeup. Combines great stuff with aggressiveness. Filthy movement. Rarely walks people. Need a really quick catcher because the bottom really falls out on some of his stuff. Drafted by the Miami Marlins out of Oakland University in the 21st round of the 2012 June Amateur Draft.
Starting pitchers #3: Jarlin Garcia. Age 20. From Santo Domingo. Might have a big-league career - in the broadcast booth. Combines great stuff with aggressiveness. Rarely walks people. Top-notch movement on all his pitches.
Starting pitcher #4: Ryan Newell. Age 21. From Fairfax, VA. Potential...to throw batting practice for the rest of his career. Feisty. Really goes after hitters. Filthy movement. Need a really quick catcher because the bottom really falls out on some of his stuff. The sort of control scouts drool about. Drafted by the Miami Marlins out of Shorter College in the 7th round of the 2012 June Amateur Draft.
Starting pitcher #5: Beau Wright. Age 22. Los Alamitos, CA. Potential...to throw batting practice for the rest of his career. Feisty. Really goes after hitters. Top-notch movement on all his pitches. The sort of control scouts drool about. Drafted by the Minnesota Twins in the 29th round of the 2009 June Amateur Draft but didn't sign. Drafted by the Florida Marlins in the 48th round of the 2010 June Amateur Draft.
I put away the scouting reports on my five starting pitchers. Sure was a ton of praise for guys whom they thought had no chance to get anywhere beyong the minor leagues. It would have been nice to have a more comprehensive writeup on why Stan Meek, the Marlins scout, thought so little of each man's potential. I'd have Schwartz work with these guys some more while we wait for our season to start. Then next stack of scouting reports I thumbed through was for the bullpen.
Middle Relief #1: Esmerling de la Rosa. Age 21. From Santo Domingo. Projected career minor-league reliever. Feisty. Really goes after hitters. Filthy movement. The sort of control scouts drool about.
Middle Relief #2: Miguel del Pozo. Age 20. From Santo Domingo. Will eat up some innings as a minor leaguer. Not expected to make the big leagues. Combines great stuff with aggressiveness. Filthy movement. The sort of control scouts drool about.
Middle Relief #3: Charlie Lowell. Age 22. Will eat up some innings as a minor leaguer. Not expected to make the big leagues. Could be a top strikeout pitcher. Top-notch movement on all his pitches. Serious control issues. Drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 27th round of the 2008 June Amateur Draft. Drafted by the Florida Marlins in the 6th round of the 2011 June Amateur Draft.
Middle Relief #4: Patrick Merkling. Age 22. From Woodstock, GA. Will eat up some innings as a minor leaguer. Not expected to make the big leagues. Uses his entire repertoire effectively. Filthy movement. The sort of control scouts drool about. Drafted by the Baltimore Orioles out of Chattanooga State Technical Community College in the 44th round of the 2011 June Amateur Draft. Drafted by the Miami Marlins out of Lee University in the 18th round of the 2012 June Amateur Draft.
Middle Relief #5: Matt Milroy. Age 22. From Aurora, IL. Projected career minor-league reliever. Feisty. Really goes after hitters. Filthy movement. Rarely walks people. Drafted by the Boston Red Sox out of Marmion Academy High School in the 35th round of the 2009 June Amateur Draft. Drafted by the Miami Marlins out of University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in the 11th round of the 2012 June Amateur Draft.
Middle Relief #6: Junior Rincon. Age 21. From Santo Domingo. Will eat up some innings as a minor leaguer. Not expected to make the big leagues. Combines great stuff with aggressiveness. Well above-average breaking stuff. Tends to overthrow under pressure. Rarely walks people.
Closer: Domingo German. Age 20. From San Pedor de Macoris. Might make it to the big leagues with right timing and good coaching. Plus-plus stuff. Top notch movement on all his pitches. Enjoys good command. Not outstanding control but definitely above average.
"What do we do with these guys? Except for German, none of them is expected to make it anywhere."
"We keep them ready," Schwartz said. "A guy in AA gets hurt. A high-A moves up to take his spot. Then a low-A guy moves up to take his spot. And, then, our guy moves to low-A to take his spot. And rinse and repeat."
I nodded.
"Simulation games. Give them the equivalent of about six innings of work to keep their arms warm. Kind of what they do with rehab assignments."
"Who will field for them? If they have fielders, who bats for them?"
"We have to get creative. Have our pitchers play positions. Let some of the fielders pitch. Just keep these guys playing and having fun until our season begins."
"That's all we need. Another Jose Canseco moment."
Back to the scouting reports and I began with our injured catcher, Jose Ceballos, who was out with knee soreness.
Catcher: Jose Ceballos. Age 24. From Caracas. Destined to be a career minor leaguer. Projected for a high batting average. Plus raw power. Chance to be a run producer. Patient at the plate. Average fielder. Not a threat to run. Signed as an undrafted free agent by the Florida Marlins in 2006.
Catcher: Jose Behar. Age 23. From Miami, FL. Not much in the way of potential. Amazing vision at the plate. Some extra-base power. Could develop a little home run pop in the future. Patient at the plate. Competent fielder. Well below-average runner. Drafted by the Florida Marlins out of Florida International in the 30th round of the 2011 June Amateur Draft.
Catcher: Felix Castillo. Age 21. From Maracaibo. His future as a batter looks very bleak. Projection for very high contact. Projects to be an elite power hitter. Patient. Could be a solid to above-average defender. Average runner.
Catcher: David Cruz. Age 21. From Miami FL. Career minor leaguer at best. Plus-plus contact potential. No power to develop. Singles hitter. Very patient at the plate. Average fielder. Below average speed. Drafted by the Miami Marlins in the 30th round of the 2012 June Amateur Draft.
First Base: Ron Miller. Age 19. From Los Angeles, CA. Projects as a fringe-average bat at best. Should be an above average contact-hitter in the big leagues. Has all-star power potential. Very patient at the plate. Inconsistent fielder. Speed is a tick below average. Drafted by the Miami Marlins out of Sierra High School in the 10th round of the 2012 June Amateur Draft.
First Base: Felix Munoz. Age 20. From Santo Domingo. Bleak future as a batter. Significant projection for very high contact. Power potential of a prototypical clean-up hitter. Patient at the plate. Capable defender. Poor speed. Signed by the Florida Marlins as a non-drafted free agent in 2008. Played in Marlins DSL in 2009-2010.
Short Stop: Rehiner Cordova. Age 19. From Maracay. A little potential but not much. Amazing vision at the plate. Plus power potential. Patient at the plate. Competent fielder. Solid average to plus baserunner.
Left Field: Austin Dean. Age 19. Might have a future on a big-league bench. Plus-plus contact ability. Projects as a plus-plus power hitter. Patient at the plate. Makes all the routine defensive plays. Average runner. Drafted by the Miami Marlins out of Klein Collins High School in the 4th round of the 2012 Amateur Draft.
Left Field: Edward Sappelt. Age 18. From Graham, NC. Destined to be a career minor leaguer. Above-average contact potential. More of a line-drive hitter. Patient at the plate. Capable defender. Slightly bowlegged running style. Drafted by the Miami Marlins out of Southern Alamance High School in the 37th round in the 2012 June Amateur Draft.
Center Field: Christian "Bubba" Keene. Age 20. From Brookhaven, MS. Career minor leaguer at best. Projects to be a .290 hitter. Could develop a little home run pop in the future. Patient at the plate. Below-average defender. Solid average to plus baserunner.
Right Field: Connor Burke. Age 20. From Whittier, CA. Destined to be a career minor leaguer. Plus-plus contact potential. Projects to be a .310 hitter. Average to plus power potential. Patient at the plate. Average across the board defensively. Average runner.
"We have enough catchers down here," I commented to Bobby Bell.
"Don't expect to see Ceballos stay. He's on the DL for another week and then I am sure he will be moving back up. He had one at bat at AA last year. He'll probably be back with the Hammerheads in a week."
The team I thought I was going to be managing. Figures.
"Craine?"
"Yeah, Bobby."
"Do you fish or play cards? You'll hit it off with the guys if you do."
Why not. I'm sure I could learn how to fish or play cards. How hard could either be?
Old 05-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
Galeg
Major Leagues

If I could make one suggestion, add more blank lines to your posts so the words don't run together so much.
Galeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:24 AM   #13
RobToxin
Major Leagues

"You have to keep you pole still! Oi! You lose you bait again. Patience! Fishing is all about patience! It is good to fish. It helps with baseball!"

Miguel del Pozo and Connor Burke were hauling in fish left and right.

Me?

I hadn't caught a damn thing!

"One time I was fishing," Burke said. "I had a huge bite and reeled it in and the frog I was using for bait was firmly clenched in the fangs of a vicious snake! I grabbed the snake by the neck and made him let go and then poured a shot of whiskey down his throat. The snake went limp and I tossed it back in the water and went back to fishing. A few minutes later, that snake swam back to shore, looked dead right at me. With another frog hooked in its fangs."

After a moment of silence, Miguel fell over laughing.
"Oh I get it. That was good one!"

I still hadn't gotten it. Burke looked at me and laughed. "How about another shot of that whiskey?"
"Damn, boss, you suck at cards!"

The guys laughed and shook their heads as I lost the last stack of my chips and a pack of smokes. Ron Miller dealt the next hand and I sat out. Rehinar Cordova and Victor Castro were still in as the cards went around the table.

"So he threw the potato out into left field. The runner took off for home and then the catcher tagged him out with the ball. The umpire was not amused and called the runner safe and tossed the catcher out of the game. It was, to say the least, a wild moment in minor league history. So, what do you say, Skip? Should we try the great potato pick-off?"

"That might not be a good idea, Ron." I shook my head. "Stick to bluffing in your card games. I think you'll be more successful."
April Fool's?

Nope. It was no joke. And I got to be the guy to tell him.

The guys were going to miss Austin Dean. He was the kind of guy who liked to hang out with his teammates after the game.

"Hope you like it up north, Austin," I told him when I met with him. "They want you to go to Batavia."

"I'm getting promoted?"

"That's right. Glad for you."

We shook hands. "Barely got to know you, Skip."

"That's alright, Austin. And, no offense but I hope I don't see you back here again until spring training next year."
With a promotion comes a demotion. It was a great day for Austin Dean. But not so much for Matt Juengel.

Third Base: Matt Juengel. Age 23. From Houston, Texas. Not much in the way of potential. Expect plus-plus contact. Plus-power potential. Solid, unspectacular eye at the plate. Below average defender. Fairly slow on the bases. Drafted by the Miami Marlins out of Texas A&M in the 24th round of the 2012 June Amateur Draft.
We were out on the boat listening to the game. Domingo German had the boat and several of us had piled in and gone for a ride. And then we stopped and some of the guys fished, some played cards and some listened to the Washington Nationals beat the Miami Marlins 4-1 as Stephen Strassburg struck out 15.

Days went by like that. We would practice some days. Fish some days. Some days go our separate ways.

A miscommunication had me thinking Austin Dean and two other players (Christian Rivera and Luis F. Ortiz) were going to be assigned to my team but a correction was made and the three stayed at Batavia.

About a week after being assigned to us, Matt Juengel was sent back to Batavia. We received three middle relievers in his place.
Middle Reliever: Chipper Smith. Age 23. Projected career minor-league reliever. Really goes after hitters. Filthy movement. The sort of control that scouts and coaches drool about.

Middle Reliever: Justin Jackson. Age 24. From Magnolia, TX. Projected career minor-league reliever. Above-average stuff. Top-notch movement on all his pitches. The sort of control that scouts and coaches drool about.

Middle releiver: Robert Ravago. Age 22. From Tucson, AZ. Projected career minor-league reliever. Really goes after hitters. Well above average breaking stuff. The sort of control that scouts and coaches drool about
Chipper Smith quickly bonded with del Pozo and Burke, the three of them fishing together often. Jackson and Ravago, however, seemed to prefer to be left alone and not socialize with teammates.
"Be ready to hear from the team," Schwartz said.

The A Greensboro Grasshoppers, of the South Atlantic League, had been playing and one of their starting pitchers, Jake Esch, had partially torn his ulnar collateral ligament.

"It looks like he'll be out for like seven months."
On April 9th, the Miami Marlins beat the Atlanta Braves 4-0 thanks to a 4-hitter by Kevin Slowey.

I was just itching for June to get here.
Old 05-13-2013, 07:41 AM   #14
RobToxin
Major Leagues

"I can't figure out why they are bouncing guys back and forth between us and Batavia when neither team starts playing until June."

Another game of cards. Some of the other guys had joined in, just to hang out with their teammates.

"Free air miles?"
The AAA New Orleans Zephyrs were 7-2 while the AA Jacksonville Suns were 2-4.The Hammerheads were 3-3 and Grasshoppers were 3-4.

The Grasshoppers would improve to 4-4 the next day by beating the Lakewood BlueClaws 8-7 despite Lakewood's Aaron Altherr going 5-for-5.

"Not much in the way of potential but the guy has a good work ethic," I was told when I asked Stan Meek about Altherr.

I found Meek to be a great guy to talk to. Organized and efficient, Meek could call up his scouting notes on any player I wanted to know about. A few simple clicks on his Notepad and he had what I needed. I hated to imagine how scouts had worked without computers. Especially the small, portable variety.

It reminded me of the high school English teacher I had my senior year who refused to allow us to use the internet to get information for our research papers. She was still stuck on the card catalog and demanded we use it. Such a shame.She just did not understand what a source of information the internet was becoming. Today, anyone who does not know how to use the internet for research has no chance at all to compete with those who do.

Getting a little off topic there.
On April 13th, I had to say goodbye to three guys. Two made me smile. One killed me. Bubba Keene was sent to Batavia. He happily packed his bags and said goodbye and was off to the airport along with Chipper Smith, who was sent back to Batavia.

Then there was Junior Rincon. The guys liked Junior. He enjoyed hanging out with them after the game.

The Marlins had decided to release him.

I really felt bad for the kid because he had come to the United States to play baseball and now was in Florida and out of work while his family was in the Dominican Republic.

"Don't feel too bad," Schwartz told me. "Kids like him send money back home and you would be amazed how far a grand can go in a place like the Dominican Republic. He'll be better off financially if he never plays again than half of the millionaire athletes in the United States will be five years after they retire."

It didn't make it any easier to do and I downed a bottle of Jim Beam that night in misery.

The first player I had ever cut. And I didn't even cut him. The higher ups did.

Matt Juengel was sent back to us. As was Luis F. Ortiz, one of the guys who was demoted and then remoted on the same day.
Second Base. Luis F. Ortiz. Age 21. Overall, a subpar offensive player. Projects to be a very good contact hitter. Plus power potential. Patient at the plate. Average defensively. Plus speed.
Bryan Petersen of the Zephyrs was named American Conference Player of the Week on April 15th. The Jupiter Hammerheads were #1 in the power rankings in the FSL on the same day.

Every time I heard about the Hammerheads I would get itchy to play a game.
On the 19th, Jose Ceballos returned from the DL but remained with our club. I wasn't sure for how long but I certainly wasn't going to turn down the leadership that Ceballos could bring to the team. He was gone the next day to Greensboro.

Also, I had to tell Charlie Lowell that he was being released. Just as quietly as he did everything else, Charlie packed his bags and left. I'm not sure if anyone noticed.

Meanwhile, they sent us more guys from Batavia. Austin Dean was back. Christian Rivera was sent down to us after all and we also got Michael Vaughn.
Catcher: Michael Vaughn. Age 22. From Peoria, AZ. Destined to be a career minor leaguer. Plus-plus contact ability. Plus-plus power potential. Patient at the plate. Adequate defensively. Below-average runner.

Short Stop: Christian Rivera. Age 19. From Loiza. Bleak future as a batter. Showing contact ability. Plus-plus power potential. Very patient approach at the plate. Average fielder. Above-average runner.
Over in Greensboro, Joshua Adams hit for the cycle and the Grasshoppers beat the Shorebirds 17-6.
It was a good time to go fishing again. I smoked half a pack of Marlboros fishing with the guys. Still didn't catch anything. Was still bummed about having to send young kids home and telling them they had been released. I liked computer baseball so much better. You just checked a box and hit enter and the name disappeared. It was a lot different looking into someone's eyes and seeing the love of their life being taken away from them.

I needed another smoke.

Hell, I needed another drink.
It was almost a week later when Greensboro beat Hickory 7-6, despite Hickory's Nick Williams going 5-for-5.

"Superstar potential," Meek said. "The kind of player you could build a franchise around."

I wondered if I would get one of those kind of guys to work with. Maybe in the June Amateur Draft.
Over in Miami, Giancarlo Stanton had a mild hamstring strain and was listed day-to-day.

Meanwhile, April was coming to an end. I was ready for it to be over with too.

I should not have been so impatient.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #15
RobToxin
Major Leagues

"I've played cards with these guys. We've gone fishing together. And I have to tell them that their dream is over. I feel like such a heel!"

Two things I never thought I would do. Talk on a cell phone. And turn to the Ice Queen for someone to talk to. And here I was doing both. At the same time.

"Of course, Rusty. But that's the way it goes. Sometimes real people, good people as you say, just aren't cut out for what they dream of and have to do something else. My advice to you is to not get so close to these guys. That way it won't hurt so much to let them go."

"But, Bell and Schwartz said....sunuva....Bell and Schwartz! They knew this would happen! Wait until I have a word with them!"
The word had come down from the Marlins' front office. Matt Juengel, Hayden Fox, Beau Wright, Matt Milroy, Patrick Merkling, Miguel del Pozo and Esmerling de la Rosa were all being released. I was beginning to see now what my job entailed from April until the Amateur Draft. I was simply a hatchet man. Tell these kids that the Marlins no longer required their services. Ane I really did not care for that part of the job.

At least I was able to tell Luis F. Ortiz that he was going back to Batavia.
Speaking of Batavia, we received several more of their guys to replace the ones I had to let go. Including Bubba Keene and Chipper Smith.
Middle Reliever: Drew Steckenrider. Age 22. From Atlanta, GA. Doesn't have big-league makeup.

Left Field: Kentrell Dewitt. Age 22. Career minor leaguer at best.

Starting Pitcher: Austin Brice. Age 20. Destined for a career in the minors.
Middle Reliever: Andy Beltre. Age 19. From Moca. Doesn't have big-league makeup.

Middle Releiver: Helpi Reyes. Age 20. Potential. To throw batting practice the rest of his career.

Middle Releiver: Joel Tamares.
"You told me to get close to those guys. You knew this would happen. You two have seen this many times."

"I have," Schwartz said. "One time, I was trying to teach this kid the cutter. He just wasn't getting it. Time and time again he would miss the strike zone, miss the proper grip, arm motion. Finally, after several months, it came together and he had finally learned the cutter. He was so proud of himself. Two days later, he was released. He went from victorious to defeated just like that. And, so did I."

"You can't get too close or attached to the players," Bell added. "Because, especially in the minors, you will be releasing them in the blink of an eye at the big team's whim. And there's nothing you can do stop it.
The big league team got bad news when they learned that Nathan Eovaldi will miss 8-9 months with a ruptured disc. Kyle Jensen for Jacksonville was named Southern League's Batter of the Month for April. The Hammerheads' Adam Conley was named Pitcher of the Month in the Florida State League.
A month and a half to go until our first game. I was ready to go crazy waiting for it.
A couple of days later, I told Steckenrider that he was being sent back to Bativia. The relief on his face after he found out. He was sure he was being released. That same day, Hammerheads' Mark Canha went 1-for-3 in a 3-2 win over the Charlotte Stone Crabs to extend his hitting streak to 20 games. It took a ninth inning single to do it.

I decided that the guys needed some baseball time. Well, maybe myself more than them. The Hammerheads were on the road but the Palm Beach Cardinals were using our stadium so we caught their series against the Bradenton Marauders. We even rooted for the Cardinals. They were kind of sort of the home team and all.

Cause-and-effect came into play on the 8th when Justin Ruggiano tore his labrium. Being how he was the major league Marlins' center fielder and was going to miss eight to nine months, players started moving up from all levels and I got to tell Kentrell Dewitt that he was needed back in Batavia.

"He'll probably be back again," Bell said.

"No wonder the Marlins are so broke. Flying these kids back and forth from here to Batavia and not play any games."

"They get discount rates with airlines," Schwartz said. "All teams do."

"Mark Canha got another hit. That's 25 games in a row," Bell said.

"They are back home tonight, right? We should go watch them."

We did just that and Canha got a hit on Friday before going hitless on Saturday to bring the streak to an end at 26 games.
As May dragged on, the news from the other teams in our organization became tedious. Ed Lucas at New Orleans won Player of the Week honors. A week later, Joe Mahoney took the award. So how was the team 21-30? Only in baseball. One of their relievers was injured. I couldn't pronounce his name if I tried. Another Zephyr, Chris Hatcher, tore the flexor tendon in his elbow.
On May 27, Ricky Nolasco 1-hit Tampa Bay in a 1-0 Marlins win.
On the last day of May, Luis F. Ortiz returned to Jupiter yet again as well as catcher Sharif Othman.

Catcher: Sharif Othman. Age 24. From Riverside, CA. Career minor leaguer at best.

Leaving Jupiter for Batavia would be Helpi Reyes.

Then, June was here!

It was almost time to play some games.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
RobToxin
Major Leagues

"What do you think about this? It's the third straight week a Zephyr has been named Player of the Week in the American Conference. Yet, they are 23-35. And in last place in their division. Deep in last place."

"Pitching," Schwartz replied simply. "They only have one guy below 5 in ERA."

"But they are fifth in ERA but 7th in runs scored," Bell said.
"Hmmm. So. One guy gets hot but the rest of the team fails to help him out."

"That's why you don't throw all your money at one player," Bell replied.
Schwartz nodded. "ARod in Texas. When you look in the dictionary under bad contracts, that one is still being used as the perfect illustration."
To no surprise, Helpi Reyes and Drew Steckinrider were back in Jupiter on the 4th of June. Opening day for us was the 21st and we were starting to get serious workouts in practice going. I left the practices up to Bell and Schwartz. What was I going to teach these guys? They knew more about mechanics than I did. My expertise was in reading scouting reports and conning amateur wannabe general managers out of their best future assets in fictional baseball computer games.

The next day I had to tell David Cruz that he had been released. I hated to see him go. He was a good guy in the clubhouse.

But, that was my job.

I was starting to wonder of any of these guys would still be in the Marlins' organization after the draft.
The next day, as expected, Luis F. Ortiz was sent back to Batavia and in his place, back in Jupiter once again, was Kentrell Dewitt.
"Keep the ball on the ground," Bell said to Dewitt. "Use your speed to get on base."

I had to laugh at the memory of Wesley Snipes popping up and doing pushups in Major League. But, it was true. Dewitt was the fastest baserunner in Jupiter, at least. If not the entire minor league system. If he could get the other tools necessary. Be a shame to see such a talented base runner mired in the minors his entire career.

Then it happened.

The Amateur Draft.

And the news that everyone in Jupiter was being released.

Well, almost everyone.

Felix Castillo and Michael Vaughn were still with us. As was Ron Miller, Christian Rivera, Austin Dean, Austin Brice, and Andy Beltre. It was simply easier to name the guys still on the team than it was to list all the ones we had to release.

Twenty-two men in one day told their services would no longer be needed.

"That's how it works," Schwartz said. "Anyone still in Jupiter on draft day is likely a goner. The road to Batavia is their only salvation."

"They'll end up playing somewhere in South America or maybe Japan. If they want to keep playing, they will find a place to play. Some may move on, though." Bell shrugged. "We now turn out focus to our new players."

"Well," I said. "Let's meet here tomorrow and see what we have."
Old 05-16-2013, 08:49 AM   #17
RobToxin
Major Leagues

So, the new GCL Marlins were as follows:

Starting Pitcher: Jose Betancourt. Age 18. From Commack, NY. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 24, Pick 6, 696th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins out of high school. (West Babylon, West Babylon, NY). No real future in the big leagues. Projected career minor-league releiver.

Starting pitcher: Shane Carle. Age 21. From Santa Cruz, CA. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 12, Pick 6, 336th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. Potential...to throw batting practice for the rest of his career.

Starting Pitcher: Trey Cobb. Aged 18. From Broken Arrow, OK. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 6, Pick 6, 156th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. The raw talent just isn't there. No matter how hard Cobb tries, he won't amount to much.

Starting Pitcher: Hobbs Johnson. Age 22. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 8, Pick 6, 216th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. Might have a big-league career -- in the broadcast booth.

Starting Pitcher: Ben Lively. Age 21. From Gulf Breeze, FL. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 14, Pick 6, 396th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. Potential...to throw batting practice for the rest of his career.

Starting Pitcher: Patrick Murphy. Age 17. From Chandler, AZ. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 20, Pick 6, 576th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. Potential...to throw batting practice for the rest of his career.

Starting Pitcher: Mike Theofanopolous. Age 20. From Pleasanton, CA. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 16, Pick 6, 456th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. The outlook is bleak, doesn't have big-league makeup.

Starting Pitcher: Bobby Wheatley. Age 21. From Villa Park, CA. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 22, Pick 6, 636th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. Might have a big-league career -- in the broadcast booth.

Middle Reliever: Jimmie Sherfy. Age 21. From Camarillo, CA. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 26, Pick 6, 756th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. Not expected to make the big leagues. Will eat up some innings as a minor leaguer.

Middle Reliever: Ryan Strufing. Age 21. From Niwot, CO. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 30, Pick 6, 876th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. No real future in the big leagues. Projected career minor-league releiver.

Middle Reliever: Drew van Orden. Age 21. From Manhattan Beach, CA. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 28, Pick 6, 816th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. No real future in the big leagues. Projected career minor-league releiver.

Catcher: Jonah Heim. Age 17. From New York, NY. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 15, Pick 6, 426th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. Career minor leaguer at best.

First Base: Lonnie Dobson. Age 21. From Selma, TX. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 25, Pick 6, 726th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins out of college (Texas). His future as a batter looks very bleak.

Second Base: L.J. Mazzilli. Age 22. From Greenwich, CT. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 7, Pick 6, 186th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. Career minor leaguer at best.

Second Base: Kevin Williams. Age 21. From Woodland, CA. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 13, Pick 6, 366th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. Destined to be a career minor leaguer.

Third Base: Brandon Glazer. Age 21. From Hagerstown, MD. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 19, Pick 6, 546th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. His future as a batter looks very bleak.

Short Stop: Joe Barber. Age 22. From Anchorage, AK. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 23, Pick 6, 666th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. Not much in the way of potential.

Short Stop: Derek Hamilton. Age 21. From Lake Jackson, TX. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 21, Pick 6, 606th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. No future in the big leagues.

Short Stop: Brett Binning. Age 18. From Danville, CA. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 11, Pick 6, 306th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. Not much in the way of potential.

Short Stop: Brody Weiss. Age 18. From Castle Rock, CO. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 10, Pick 6, 276th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. His future as a batter looks very bleak.

Short Stop: Harry Nelson. Age 19. From Denver, CO. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 29, Pick 6, 846th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. No future in the big leagues.

Left Field: David Armendariz. Age 21. From El Granada, CA. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 18, Pick 6, 516th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. His future as a batter looks very bleak.

Center Field: Ryan Tella. Age 22. From Fremont, CA. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 9, Pick 6, 246th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. Destined to be a career minor leaguer.

Center Field: Will Jamison. Age 21. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 17, Pick 6, 486th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins. Overall, a subpar offensive player. If this guy is in your lineup, you should be scouring the waiver wire constantly looking for an upgrade.

Right Field: Mike "The Incredible Hulk" McGregor. Age 18. From Bellevue, WA. Drafted in the 2013 first-year player draft (Round 27, Pick 6, 786th overall pick) by the Miami Marlins out of high school (Newport, Bellevue, WA).

Oh man, I need a drink!
Old 05-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #18
RobToxin
Major Leagues

"Craine. Craine! It's time for practice!"

"Go away, Schwartz! My head hurts."

"Finished reading the scouting reports?"

"Why are we here, Schwartz? Why are we here? To coach a bunch of guys who will get released next year and replaced by a bunch of guys who will get released the next year and replaced by a bunch of guys....where's my Jim Beam?"

"Welcome to Rookie Ball."

"You and Bell go do your thing. Work with your pitchers and batters and the stuff you do. I'll be along later when the sun isn't so bright."
"Sorry, Ron. For what it's worth, I enjoyed the card games."

And Ron Miller was gone. Leaving just six guys with any minor league experience.

"We're not even helping the Yankees and Red Sox like we joked about. Hell, we're doing these youngsters a favor and getting them out of the Marlins' organization. Bell, what do we do when we are given nothing to work with?"

"Make lemonaide, Craine. We make one guy into somebody that can crack a major league roster, we have hit the jackpot."

"And if we can't?"

"We take solace in the fact that we get paid to sit in a dugout and tell pro baseball players what to do."

"Good call!"
At least I wasn't managing the Hammerheads on June 8th when they got no-hit by St Lucie's Hansel Robles and lost 8-0.
Once again. Andy Beltre went back up to Batavia and Luis F. Ortiz was back in Jupiter. Those guys were making my head spin. I could just imagine what life was like for them.

And I had the lovely task of telling Felix Castillo that he has been released. I really had a feeling that by the time we played our first game, all the hangovers from 2012 would be gone.
Every single head turned and all conversation ceased as she walked into the locker room and tugged my arm. "We need to have a chat."

I grinned back at the team. "My sister. Honestly. She really is, guys."
Heads nodded and the guys went back to their card games, books and whatever else they were doing.

"We've been had," the Ice Queen said once she closed the door to my office.

"Tell me about it! I thought I was going to manage the Hammerheads."

"Actually, Rusty, that was an honest mistake by dad. He looked up the Jupiter Marlins on line and found the Hammerheads and really thought that is what he had purchased. He's not the most internet savvy, you know."

"So, he really owns this team."

"No." She groaned out the next sentence as if it was the most painful thing she had ever said in her life. "I own this team."

"What?"

"Dad decided that we need to have a better relationship. So, he has put us in a position where we depend on each other to succeed."

"Liz! Dad doesn't understand! We have no control over anything here! The Marlins send and take players at their leisure. They assigned every player to the team. Here are all these couting reports. I know you won't read them because you won't understand most of the jargon but the basic summary is....no potential. None. For any of these guys. We have nothing to work with."

"Okay, Rusty. I understand. Well, try to not lose too many more games than you win. I do understand what .500 means and try to get as close to that as you can."

I nodded. Nobody had any expectations for this team. Not even people who didn't even know better.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #19
Hankyu Braves
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobToxin View Post

"Rusty Craine. That sounds like a construction accident waiting to happen!"
That's the kind of humor I like.
Plenty to read to catch up, but I'll be following. It's going to be fun.

Nicely done, RobToxin
Hankyu Braves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:32 AM   #20
RobToxin
Major Leagues

Opening Day was finally here.

We began our season against the team that shared our stadium. The Cardinals. With us cast as the home team.

I had turned the lineups and rotations over to Bell and Schwartz.

Ortiz would lead off and play third. Batting second and DHing was Williams. Then we had Dean in left, first baseman Dobson at the cleanup spot, Mazzilli at second batting fifth, then center fielder Tella, right fielder Armendariz, short stop Weiss batting eighth and the ninth batter was the catcher Heim. The opening day starter was Trey Cobb.

The game would start at noon. I walked around the field as the guys warmed up and looked into the bleachers. Sure enough, Liz was up there, chatting away with who-knows-who. Dad had really pulled the rug out from under her. Yet she was adapting rather well. She always did. The unfazable Ice Queen.

"The Cardinals are about as nervous as we are, tell you the truth," Schwartz said.

"Do any of these guys have any idea that they are just here to fill a roster spot for a year?"

"No. They all hope they can do something special to impress a scout and move up to the next level. They wouldn't be here if they didn't believe they could prove the scouts wrong."

I nodded.

Before the first pitch was thrown out, I gathered the team in the dugout.
"It's your first game as a team. It's my first game managing. Take a deep breath. Enjoy the moment. You are getting paid to play baseball. Go out there and have fun. And maybe even win this thing!"

A few hands clapped and they got ready to take the field.

"Not exactly Win One For The Gipper," Bell said with a chuckle.

"Maybe I should quote Yogi Bera tomorrow?"

"Please don't! You'll just confuse the poor kids."

Pitching was not a strong suit for either team in the opener as the Cardinals won 12-10. We bounced back with a 7-1 win on Saturday to split the opening series with the Cardinals. On Sunday, we beat the Viera Nationals 11-2 to move to 2-1 on the season.
With a day off, the reports came out and we were ranked third in the power rankings in the GCL.

Liz was ecstatic.

"We've only played three games. These things fluctuate all over the place before the season is over."

We were having lunch in her condo rental. She gets a condo. I get a motel room. Thanks, Dad.

"Two months, right?"

"Right. We play until August 28th."

She nodded as she took another bite. She had boiled some shrimp and fish with broccoli, onions and mushrooms. She could cook and enjoyed it sometimes but she was never going to be a housewife for anybody who got the mistaken impression by her culinary enjoyment.

"Well, your team has done great and scoring and, after the opener, done great and not allowing runs."

Yes, it was true. Winning the last two games by a combined score of 18-3 was pretty impressive.

"Baseball is a strange game. A team can score 10 runs one day and go three straight games right after that without reaching 3 runs in any of them. That's why seasons are so long with so many games. The most consistent teams weed out the lesser teams. We will have to see what happens after more than three games."
We played at Viera on Tuesday and the win streak reached three with an 11-9 victory. On Wednesday, we went to Port St Lucie and lost to the Mets 10-4. My mind was not in this game at all as I had recieved the orders to release Austin Brice which I did after the game when we returned to Jupiter. We then proceeded to get clobbered 16-2 at home by those same Mets as Bradley Marquez went 5-for-6 for Port St Lucie.
The losing streak reached three games as we fell to the Cardinals 14-9. On Saturday, the Cardinals won again 9-6 and I showed Michael Vaughn the door as little by little the leftovers from 2012 were departing. We did, however, recieve 19 year old center fielder Kolby Copeland from Batavia. Knowing how things worked, I could already feel that the end was near for Copleand. We ended the month with a 4-3 win over the Nationals. Thank the baseball gods for the Viera Nationals or we would be 1-5. As it was, we were 4-5 to start the season. As close to .500 as we could get without actually reaching it so we were on pace to reach our goal. I guess.