Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 05-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
arodtwlv
Bat Boy

Awesome Find! HS players finally go to College!

Mods, if this is the wrong place, sorry and go ahead and delete/move this thread. This is an interesting find that I think others would enjoy to know.

I found something really interesting in my dynasty. I found a way to get non drafted high school players to go to college without me doing it manually. Of course in the World Beta Mod, Dr. P.R. Park III made it so the high school and college leagues were able to act like a feeder to the MLB.

I am playing with the World Beta mod. I deleted all but the Majors + Minors. I kept NCAA I, II and NCJAA. I also kept the National High School League along with the two international HS leagues.

I made a couple of changes with High School leagues. I added about 50-80 teams each for the states of Florida, Michigan, Texas, California and New York. All the teams are regional in each state.

So the really cool find was I was able to get undrafted High School players to join a college team, AUTOMATICALLY. In my universe I have about 9,000 players total in high school. Because of the large amount of these players, alot go undrafted in a 50 round draft. Now what gets interesting is that the HS players, instead of being deleted or retiring, now join a college team to continue their careers.

I have encountered some problems, but it's mostly just some tweaks needed. The major one is for some reason the High School to College thing doesn't happen right away in the dynasty. I've found that it takes around 10-15 in game years for it to start. I have really no clue why this happens, still trying to figure it out. Another thing is that due to a large amount of players, there are more with higher potential. It seems that the game engine determines potential by team, not league. Now it hasn't skewed any stats or anything like that, but the leauge is filled with higher rated (individual ratings) players.

Directions: I'm not entirely sure what exactly is need to make high school players automatically join a college team, but here's how I did it. The first thing is to make sure there are a very large amount of high school players. I would say make it so that (#HS players = # College players). Then the important thing is to make it so there are 50 draft rounds, but make there are 80+ generated rounds of players. There fore around 3,000 players at least go undrafted. Half will be high school on average and so they will join a college team rather than be deleted or retiring. I am basing these directions on that whoever's doing this knows the basics of setting up a college and high school league. I used the World Beta universe, deleted all the non American leagues (Kept NCAA DI, II, NJCAA, High School, Minors and Majors) and added around 250 high school teams (50 per 5 states in my case). This meant I had around 9,000 high school players (9,000 college) total. Age creation for HS: 14 years min, 14 years max. Roster age range was 14-17. College: 18 years min, 18 max. Roster age 18-21. This meant players would be created as "freshman" as progress through their league (hs/college). Eventually players in college were stop being created, and instead high school players joined the college team at age 18 because of roster age limit.

In general, I've found a way to make most (not all) undrafted High School players to join a college team automatically, instead of retiring or being deleted. Currently I have about a quarter (25%) of my college rosters filled with players that played in my high school league. I've had players that have played 4 years in high school, then another 4 in college before making it to the majors. For a stat junkie, this is very cool to me and if you have any questions please ask.

Last edited by arodtwlv; 05-27-2012 at 10:19 AM. Reason: More information
arodtwlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

This has been common knowledge for a while, but thanks for bringing it up again. There's always some who may not know about it.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
arodtwlv
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
This has been common knowledge for a while, but thanks for bringing it up again. There's always some who may not know about it.
Thank you for telling me so in a polite manner. Others might not be so kind, but thank you for being so. I had not known this before, so thank you for telling me.
arodtwlv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
Eephus Swift
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I was one that did not know. Thank you for sharing.
Eephus Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

I was just as excited when I discovered this back in v12. There really isn't anything special you have to do to get it to happen except to have at least one college and one high school feeder league. But with lots and lots of players you are more likely to see it.

I have 3 small feeder leagues, 1 College, 1 Junior College and 1 High school. I have it set so my feeders supply enough players for the 20 round draft plus a couple of rounds.

Of the few High Schoolers not drafted most go onto one of the college leagues. Where it is more noticeable, and cool, is with High Schoolers who are drafted but fail to sign (I use draft pick signing) and go onto college and get redrafted after 2 or 4 seasons (depending on which college league they go on to).

Last edited by byzeil; 05-27-2012 at 01:13 PM.
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arodtwlv View Post
Thank you for telling me so in a polite manner. Others might not be so kind, but thank you for being so. I had not known this before, so thank you for telling me.
I read your initial post and passed on commenting because you were clearly enjoying the thrill of discovery so much that I didn't want to rain on your parade, but since someone else broke it to you - yeah, that's been in since 12.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
The_Offspring187
Major Leagues

Should I make it minimum/maximum age created 14? And max ages allowed 14-17? And for college 18-21?

I currently have my settings like this and I'm seeing a lot of high school players playing for 5 years, from 14-18. I haven't seen any players from high school go on to college yet but I'm only 5 seasons into my league so I don't know yet exactly how it's supposed to work.

By the way should my settings for draft say Feeder leagues + additional players or feeder leagues only? I have it set to feeder leagues only right now. And on the part about "generation players for this number of rounds" for the draft. Should that say the number of rounds? and then a couple more rounds? Or should they say 0 since it's supposed to pull from the feeder leagues? I'm just really confused and I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer. Thanks guys.
The_Offspring187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Jetzons
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I've seen players switch colleges and seen some rare cases of them playing 5 years (Not sure why, I'm thinking the age cut off might have did it).

I'll try posting a pix the next time I see one.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
The_Offspring187
Major Leagues

Anyone have any advice about the age creation minimum/maximum for high school players? I've got mine set at 14 min and 14 max right now and 14-17 for age range for high school. I wonder if this is the best way to go or if this is messing it up. I also have college as age 18-21 minimum age of 18 I believe.
The_Offspring187 is offline   Reply With Quote