Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #1
thehef
Hall Of Famer

historical transactions file problem

Seems that something has been introduced into the OOTP versions 13 & 14 historical transactions files that doesn't make sense, at least to me:

For at least some (perhaps all) players who miss a season (or more) due to, for example, spending entire years in the minors, the transaction file now releases them, often resulting in their retirement. This can result in the depletion of your reserve or minor-league rosters. In addition, the 13 & 14 txn files release players when their real-life career has ended.

These issues are discussed in detail here - http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3610903 - and here - http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3610902.

The problem, as I see it, is that these additions to the historical transactions file are not only unnecessary due to the ability to check/uncheck the Retire According to History and Miss Seasons According to History options, but that the changes in fact nullify the effect of these options... So here's hoping this can be addressed in v15.

(Not sure if this belonged in the bug, suggestions, or some other sub-forum, so I'm starting here.)

If anyone has any clarification on this and/or workarounds, please chime in. Thanks
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Seems that something has been introduced into the OOTP versions 13 & 14 historical transactions files that doesn't make sense, at least to me:

For at least some (perhaps all) players who miss a season (or more) due to, for example, spending entire years in the minors, the transaction file now releases them, often resulting in their retirement. This can result in the depletion of your reserve or minor-league rosters. In addition, the 13 & 14 txn files release players when their real-life career has ended.

These issues are discussed in detail here - http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3610903 - and here - http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3610902.

The problem, as I see it, is that these additions to the historical transactions file are not only unnecessary due to the ability to check/uncheck the Retire According to History and Miss Seasons According to History options, but that the changes in fact nullify the effect of these options... So here's hoping this can be addressed in v15.

(Not sure if this belonged in the bug, suggestions, or some other sub-forum, so I'm starting here.)

If anyone has any clarification on this and/or workarounds, please chime in. Thanks
Sorry I read your post wrong. My question was stupid.

Last edited by David Watts; 12-18-2013 at 07:22 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Assuming that most agree that this is a legitimate problem (or, at least, nobody seems to disagree...), should it be reported as a Bug or requested as a Suggestion for OOTP 15? I would think it's a bug, as the logic is clearly flawed and it didn't used to be that way, but not sure.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Bumping. Any thoughts or comments?
Old 01-12-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Bumping again. I find it a bit surprising that either nobody has noticed this issue, or that few people play the way I do - using historical txns and playing with both RAH and missed-seasons off... At any rate, I'm thinking it should be reported as a bug, rather than as a suggestion. Any thoughts on that before I do so?

Thanks
Old 01-12-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Bumping again. I find it a bit surprising that either nobody has noticed this issue, or that few people play the way I do - using historical txns and playing with both RAH and missed-seasons off... At any rate, I'm thinking it should be reported as a bug, rather than as a suggestion. Any thoughts on that before I do so?

Thanks
Hmmm. Going by your description it does seem like there's something quirky going on here. I'll gladly mention this over in beta and see what kind of responses I get there.

Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Thanks
I just ran across this thread today. I do play historical ... but I still use 12 for historical leagues, so I'm not having this problem. I also don't need any of the bells or whistles in 13 or 14 to enhance my historical replay which I think 12 does very well playing exactly the way you do (which is how I play).

Although this doesn't solve the problem that you have identified, you may want to try 12 (or go back to 12) for historical. I love it.
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #8
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
Although this doesn't solve the problem that you have identified, you may want to try 12 (or go back to 12) for historical. I love it.
I hear ya. Although since the problem is with the v14 transactions odb file and not with v14, I just use the v12 transactions file in 14 and I'm good for now. And I do like the postseason summary screen in 14. Plus I *think* 14 has some bug fixes (to pinch-hitting & stuff, for example) that are important.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:04 AM   #9
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

I tried this once

The trick is to have other leagues in your game as well...International, American Association, Texas League, Western League

and check the transaction log...most will have errors since I am not sure about the historical ID for the Minneapolis Millers or Kansas City Blues et al

So click the player and manually assign them to the team
Cheap workaround

It was a pain and not worth the hassle. Creating a mostly historical sim in OOTP is not possible, it is geared towards modern day baseball.

For the one who said go back to 12...seriously the best version for historical sims was OOTP 5, after that it started getting more complex in order to immerse oneself in modern day baseball (drafts,international,scouting,finances,pbp) and it got buggy and took up a lot more space

I've had the game crash 5 times trying to simulate history, all at different times and the backup restore skewed some reports making it a do over.

However, for online modern/fictional leagues, I love the newer versions of OOTP, but maybe I should go back and do my historical sim in OOTP 5, where I got 80 years of history over 2 years while finding old player photos and uniforms

Sorry, just wanted to rant as the angry old man

"I am at that stage of my life where I keep myself out of arguments. I am 100% self sufficient spiritually, emotionally & financially. Even if you say 1+1=5, you are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. Enjoy!"
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

For the one who said go back to 5, yeah 5 is good too. Or 12.
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote