Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 09-29-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
acclaim99
Major Leagues

Hows this team for Perfect League?

I just got promoted to Diamond last season, and was 1 game out from going to perfect... any recommendations on the team?

Rotation
Charlie Morton
Walker Buehler
Bob Gibson
Wilcy Moore
Roy Halladay

Pen
David Price
Clayton Kershaw
Jordan Hicks
Shohei Ohtani
Patrick Corbin
Dellin Betances
Felipe Vazquez
Aroldis Chapman

Lineup
C - Mike Piazza / JT Realmuto
1B - Pete Alonso / Realmuto
2B - Gleyber Torres / Ohtani
3B - Anthony Rendon / Vlad Jr
SS - Carlos Correa / Gleyber
LF - Jose Altuve / Ronald Acuna Jr
CF - Lenny Dykstra SE / Acuna
RF: Bryce Harper / JD Martinez
DH - Guerrero Jr / JD / Ohtani

Gold + Reserves
Tim Anderson - Hitter Of Month
Lance McCullers Jr
Josh Bell
Jon Duplantier - Future Legend
Elroy Jiminez
Jameson Taillon

also have like 3000 silvers and below

So, for PL, what changes should I make to the team?

acclaim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 07:41 PM   #2
Mammoth_Mayhem
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acclaim99 View Post
I just got promoted to Diamond last season, and was 1 game out from going to perfect... any recommendations on the team?

So, for PL, what changes should I make to the team?
Live players do not tend to play exceptionally well in perfect leagues. As a result, it may be smartest to start selling some of them in order to slowly make upgrades at positions with better historical cards. Defense also tends to be immensely important in perfect leagues as well, though it obviously depends on the various teams, their themes, and their ballpark factors.

For my team, I only have lefty batters (plus a couple of switch hitters) and I have maxed all lefty factors while minimizing righty factors. This allows me to consistently have a .650+ record at home. I also have an all lefty starting rotation in an attempt to minimize opponents' batting when I am playing at home.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #3
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Seems like the defense is really bad.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:14 PM   #4
Magus978
All Star Starter

As others have echoed, ditch your lives ASAP and fix the defense. As is, I think you're gonna end up going right back down.

Once you get to this level, historicals are 100% the right way to go.

http://twitch.tv/GanbaMagus

Magus978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:22 PM   #5
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Only worthwhile LIVEs are Trout and possibly some relievers. Maybe Bellinger, Yelich, or Rendon, and there are a few other perfects who are bubble candidates. But mostly, LIVEs are garbage. Especially LIVE starters.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:22 PM   #6
acclaim99
Major Leagues

Man, I can't replace all the lives that easily. Why are the lives garbage? With the season ending, their stats are going to be locked in, would that help any?

As far as the defense, as far as I know, I haven't had any issues.

Echoing what I said, last year I got promoted to diamond, this season I was 1 GB from perfect, so at least I know they can hang in diamond.

acclaim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:42 PM   #7
allenciox
All Star Reserve

Live Scherzer (100) can also be ok, as a fourth or fifth starter, but, basically, LIVE players generally get a ratings boost compared to historical players (not sure why). Often a perfect LIVE might be equivalent, depending on position, to maybe a low diamond historical player.

allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:43 PM   #8
Caliking
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
Only worthwhile LIVEs are Trout and possibly some relievers. Maybe Bellinger, Yelich, or Rendon, and there are a few other perfects who are bubble candidates. But mostly, LIVEs are garbage. Especially LIVE starters.
Trout, Yelich, Rendon, and Tatis...hes done really well for me and I have him trained at every position but CF, C, P; Occasionally Bellinger does well.

Caliking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 09:10 AM   #9
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

Yea, if you get promoted, I wouldn't expect more than 65 wins. Between the 2b/ss/c defense and the questionable movement ratings of basically your whole staff, it will be tough. You can hit a little bit so you have a chance to stay up, but I expect your runs allowed numbers to be bottom 5 in the league.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #10
El Jeffe
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I've got 2 no money teams that do well enough to get promoted to Perfect every other week. Each has a couple of perfects and a few diamonds mixed with silvers, golds, and bronze at SS and 2B. Obviously they do not get more than a few dozen wins at best in Perfect, so I use my Perfect week to train up a few utility guys and wait to be demoted. I mess with ballpark configuration and pitching when in Diamond and usually am near contention or in the play offs. Then it's back to Perfect.
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #11
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Beyond "the best players you can find", I'd have trouble articulating what I do.
But...do your thing. Unless you're asking because you'd rather follow some advice.
Sorry, I can't help.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #12
Marleigh
All Star Reserve

Most live hitters have terrible avoid Ks stats especially the sluggers, they also tend to have far lower contact ratings than historicals, that leads to low 200 hitters who strikeout 200+ times a season.

Marleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #13
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth_Mayhem View Post
Live players do not tend to play exceptionally well in perfect leagues. As a result, it may be smartest to start selling some of them in order to slowly make upgrades at positions with better historical cards. Defense also tends to be immensely important in perfect leagues as well, though it obviously depends on the various teams, their themes, and their ballpark factors.

For my team, I only have lefty batters (plus a couple of switch hitters) and I have maxed all lefty factors while minimizing righty factors. This allows me to consistently have a .650+ record at home. I also have an all lefty starting rotation in an attempt to minimize opponents' batting when I am playing at home.

wish everyone would play on level playing field. Ive seen some outrageous ones but yours are asinine IMHO
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:21 PM   #14
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
Live Scherzer (100) can also be ok, as a fourth or fifth starter, but, basically, LIVE players generally get a ratings boost compared to historical players (not sure why). Often a perfect LIVE might be equivalent, depending on position, to maybe a low diamond historical player.

My live 100 Scherzer is great every year for me & playing perfect this year my 89 Giolito T. Widener, J. Duplantis were very good while other Diamond cards were pitifully band. My 97 Cole card in 10th year has never had more than 10 wins in a season....gets cold every other month too. I'll never understand rating even when my infield defense is very good
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #15
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
wish everyone would play on level playing field. Ive seen some outrageous ones but yours are asinine IMHO
Please teach us the "proper" way to play.

OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:30 PM   #16
chazzycat
All Star Starter

The reason "live cards suck at high levels" is because the modern game is tilted towards home runs, away from contact hitting. Homers are being hit at all-time historic levels, and so modern pitchers have bad "movement" ratings. Along with homers always comes strikeouts. So the modern hitters tend to have good power & eye ratings, but not great contact or avoid K.

So when you put the modern guys in a more neutral environment, and keeping in mind that over the course of baseball history, contact has been MUCH more important than power, they tend to struggle a bit. The hitters strike out too much and pitchers give up too many homers.

And this brings me to the other comments in the thread - editing park factors. Why play in a neutral environment with live cards? You can control your environment, so it makes no sense to just accept playing at a disadvantage. Instead, try setting your park factors to something more favorable to the modern playstyle. Set your park factors to favor power over contact, and slug away. Just get some MOV ratings for pitching.

I can verify this approach works at least to some extent. It got my SaberCats to perfect on a $20 budget. My outfielders are all live: Bellinger, Trout, Judge, & Hicks. My catchers are live Grandal & Sanchez. Yes, my batting averages are terrible. But I lead my league in Homers. It doesn't stop me from winning games.

Moral of the story - live cards can work in the right situation.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:47 PM   #17
Mammoth_Mayhem
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunktown Ballers View Post
Why would one play on a level playing field unless it benefits them? Editing ballpark factors and building a team in any way imaginable are two factors that set this game apart from any other. It would be asinine to not adopt some sort of strategy that will lead to max production in a home ballpark.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #18
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mammoth_Mayhem View Post
Why would one play on a level playing field unless it benefits them? Editing ballpark factors and building a team in any way imaginable are two factors that set this game apart from any other. It would be asinine to not adopt some sort of strategy that will lead to max production in a home ballpark.
I don't agree that it is asinine to play in a neutral ballpark. Many successful teams use neutral park factors.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:13 PM   #19
Mammoth_Mayhem
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I don't agree that it is asinine to play in a neutral ballpark. Many successful teams use neutral park factors.
Completely agree; those individuals forgo ballpark strategies and instead focus on developing the best all-around roster possible, regardless of handedness of their players. As a result, they are often able to succeed in all types of ballparks. Osborneman is a great example with their Fargo Buscemis.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:47 PM   #20
daves
Hall Of Famer

I don't understand Ohtani backing up 2b? Have the backup SS backup 2b as well. Ohtani can backup the DH or RF. JD Martinez should not be in the field. He's a good dh against lefties. Vlad Jr can train to be a decent 1b.

The team is decent and should contend in Diamond. I am not sure the how well they will do in Perfect but I lost to worse.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote