Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #41
Cras
Hall Of Famer

There are a few things about the new UI that I am so far not very fond of.

One, get rid of the days on the top that say "No Game", or if left in, grey it out somehow.
I liked in v12 that week ribbon, had important dates highlighted, and now with all those No Game tags, those important days sort of get lost in the shuffle.

Two, and this is a big one, the standings screen. Nice and clean yes, but way too much has been removed. In the high resolutions, the standings, the playoff tree (which never was displayed in the best way imho anyway), and the league leaders all fit nicely. Now, I lost the league leaders. I sim one day at a time. I essentially mash the play one day button and watch things unfold. Having the standings and league leaders on one screen make good sense to me. And what is "By Subleague"? It does not display anything differently for me compared to the "Standings" tab.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #42
blazertaz13
Minors (Double A)

As a person who I would consider a newbie to the game, I am happy that there has been some streamlining of the UI. It has helped me find things easier and not feel so lost. I realized that during the first few seasons in my newly set up fictional league I will probably be sacked a few times as I learn my way around a the game, but I finally feel that I can stick with it. So thank you Marcus, I finally feel like I have found a great experience.

Now if I can only figure out how to keep my pitchers to stop giving up leads late in the game. :-)
blazertaz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #43
texasmame
All Star Starter

Good: I like having more info on some of the pages. Ticker looks cool.
Bad: Icon bar needs to have a top and bottom option as well.
Ugly: Need more skins - these are tough on the eyes. Maybe it's me, tho.

As the defending NL West Champions, the SALMON fall to the wildcard Dakota Rushmores in the first round in seven games.
texasmame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #44
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cras View Post

Two, and this is a big one, the standings screen. Nice and clean yes, but way too much has been removed. In the high resolutions, the standings, the playoff tree (which never was displayed in the best way imho anyway), and the league leaders all fit nicely. Now, I lost the league leaders. I sim one day at a time. I essentially mash the play one day button and watch things unfold. Having the standings and league leaders on one screen make good sense to me. And what is "By Subleague"? It does not display anything differently for me compared to the "Standings" tab.
I don't have much to gripe about, but I'm not sure why the leaders and such were removed from the standings screen, I like all that information on one screen.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #45
BKL
All Star Reserve

Overall, I think the game is great, but I did like having the stats and standings all in one screen. It was a nice summary.
BKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #46
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Haven't had time to do much more than look over things since I worked all day.
Imported league from v12 and everything looks great. All of my settings seem to have come in as they were in v12.

Game looks great, player history with tabs to sort is awesome. Whole gui is very well done. I really liked the gui in v12 and before and didn't think it could be improved all that much. I was wrong, v13 is just plain slick. Congrats to those involved in it's design.

Didn't think I'd be thrilled with facegens with transparent backgrounds as I liked my many ballpark backgrounds. I may miss those "ballpark pics" a bit but the larger facegens really do look great and I'm glad they are there. I guess size does matter.

Skins:
Classic is very nice though I preferred it with the green background in the stats area Markus showed in the first screenshot. Hopefully it will be brought back in a patch, but even if not this will be my preferred skin.

The blue is a bit bright for continuous use for my eyes though I also think it looks great. I may use it from time to time.

Dark skin reminds me of the old "black light billboards" the bowling alley used to have in the '70s. Kind of a weird glow about it. It looks cool but not sure it is something I will use. Who knows, it may grow on me.

My only complaint, as Cras and MizzouRah already mentioned, is the removal of league leaders on the standings page. I play one game at a time, check newspaper and standings, and then move onto my next game. I play with the Cubs and checking the standings page is where I am able to keep an eye on how things are progressing not only in my league but especially the American League. Without leaders on standings page I will either miss out on the information or have to take the time to go to other screens to keep up. Adding steps to get information, that was easily accessible in earlier versions, due to removal of a working feature is a step backwards. It's not a gamebreaker but it is a situation that makes me shake my head I am very disappointed with this decision and hope it can be "fixed" in a patch.

Overall though v13 is a huge step forward. Markus, Andreas, and all of OOTP developments should be proud of their accomplishment. Their work ethic and dedication to the game is what brings me back year after year.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:49 PM   #47
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

I like it, except for one thing. My scout is set to highly favor tools, yet he still isn't big on Alex Rodriguez or Manny Ramirez.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 PM   #48
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I've settled on the dark skin for now, I like that neon glow to it.

Game is FANTASTIC though and playing games is great - I REALLY REALLY REALLY LOVE THE RTS SCOREBOARD ONCE YOU EXPAND IT. I love how it shows scoring and injury updates in one easy to read area!!! Makes the playoffs that much more exciting!

I will be up all night, time to put a pot of coffee on.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #49
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Dark skin here as well. When staring at a computer screen, playing text based stuff like this, I find dark screen is better on the eye balls. And the blue for the text is such a lovely colour.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #50
jmount78
Major Leagues

Well, after five hours of play, my only complaints are that the AI manager will change my player's positions for no reason and leave my middle relief to four total pitchers at times and the injuries even when set on low are incredibly high. I had a total of 7 players injured during the season, with three of them for more than a month.

Still trying to learn things, but I do think it is a major upgrade from 12.
jmount78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:07 AM   #51
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazertaz13 View Post
Now if I can only figure out how to keep my pitchers to stop giving up leads late in the game. :-)

When you figure that out, please let me know!
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #52
DaddyO
Minors (Triple A)

OK, finally got a chance to post this.

I am probably not among the majority of commenters in that, having purchased a few of the previous versions, 2006, I think, 2008 and 2009, and then 2011. Every time I hoped that I would get "into" it like I read from so many others. And every time I didn't.

Reasons? Primarily twofold. First, the interface was too complex, and too difficult for me to navigate. Frankly, it was so much work to set up, and some of the interfaces seemed counterintuitive or inconsistent. Second, my primary enjoyment of baseball sims has been playing out the games, with all the attendant drama, immersion, and the familiarity with your players that such an approach brings. In all my previous OOTP experiences the game has suffered from unrealistic game action, most expecially on the bases, but other things as well.

Because of these issues, I have until now stuck with my tried and true baseball text sim, Diamond Mind Baseball. It's quite dated, but the emphasis is on playing out games, and it does that so very well that I continued with it.

So it was with great reluctance that I pre-ordered OOTP 13. My reluctance was overcome with the prospect of a complete overhaul of the screens and interface. I hoped that if that impediment was removed, I might be able to enjoy the state of the art benefits that OOTP brings, and I might be able to approach it differently as a GM sim primarily and not one where playing out the games was primary.

I have had little time to work with OOTP today, but I can definitely say that I have quickly picked up navigating the program in a way I was unable to do previously. I like the look. And I can figure things out, I think.

So THUMBS UP to Markus and all who helped for overcoming one of my two major hurdles, at least in my preliminary use of the program.

I'll be sure and post more, especially about in-game play, once I get more time.

I am well-known on the DMB boards, and I posted before today that I was looking again at OOTP this year. I will also post my impressions of it on the DMB boards also, since that game is not being further developed.

Each person's mileage may vary, but my impressions so far are very positive.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:37 AM   #53
DaddyO
Minors (Triple A)

To further underscore what I just posted, let me share the post I made to start a thread on the DMB forums immediately after pre-ordering.

I titled the thread:
"Get Out Your Tar and Feathers, Pitchforks, Nooses and Shotguns..."

Quote:
I did it. Again.

The more news that came out about the upcoming realease of the latest OOTP version, the more I paid attention. I can't help myself. What truly got my attention was the completely revamped interface. The bewildering interface, trying to familiarize myself with where the screen was that I needed, or the complexity of navigation required for what should be simple tasks, this was one of two prime issues that caused me to skip buying OOTP every other year, and to never sustain my interest even when I did by it. It was too much work and frustration. The other prime issue was the in-game action frequently deviated from what I would expect in a real MLB game.

But I'm going to give them another chance. I've pre-ordered OOTP 13 as my one and only birthday present this year. If things go as in the past, I will regret this decision and end up putting it aside within a month or less. That may well end up the case again. I hope not. It could just be another instance of Spring Fever getting the best of me.

Anway, whatever devices of punishment and torture are your preference, have at me. I'm expecting it.

I halfway feel like doing it to myself. You see, I am a Seattle Mariners fan. We're kinda of like Chicago Cubs wannabes. The only thing we lack to get there is more time. Actually, the whole thing is an apt metaphor for the Seattle Mariners, because this spring we begin to see signs of hope for a team turnaround just around the horizon if not this year. But like with OOTP, I won't be surprised if it turns out to be an illusion and I'm disappointed again.

And here's what I posted a few minutes ago in the same thread:

Quote:
It's ironic that the long-awaited DMB patch becomes public knowledge on the same day OOTP13 is released to those who pre-ordered.

I did not ge much chance to fool with it today, but what time I did spend left me impressed with how much more intuitive the revamped interface has become. I find that where in previous editions I was hopelessly tangled in how to do what I wanted to do, and even figuring out what I needed to do. Not only that, but the screens seemed so inconsistent that figuring everything out was just a chore. Well, no more it seems. I found myself picking things up quickly, and things felt intuitive. I didn't need to do detailed research on every little thing.

The other major impediment for me to for getting into OOTP was the frequent lack of realistic play in-game. That I have not yet had a chance to examine, but I will next week. I will post further impressions then.

Everyone's mileage will vary, and this is just the opinion of one guy on the DMB forum, but I am hopeful that finally, on my fifth try since 2006, I will find OOTP taking root in my baseball simming. This is not a repudiation of DMB, since OOTP is really a GM sim rather than an in-game sim.
Old 04-07-2012, 01:53 AM   #54
Stinson
Minors (Triple A)

I really love the FaceGen for real players. If I heard beforehand that you were going to attempt to get the FaceGen to create believable real players, I would have laughed, and "wished you luck"... air-quote, un-air-quote But wow, I can't believe how well it actually works.

Other than that, I'm thoroughly loving the game as a whole. Coming off of my first and only OOTP, OOTP 10, there's just so much here to enjoy. For the first time in a long time, I can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning and get back to playing a video game.

Stinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 05:22 AM   #55
omniart
Major Leagues

So far I am VERY impressed with OOTP 13. I like the new interface. In particular, the new drop-down team menu which does a great job of organizing a lot of information. Same about the team home page. Reports look much better now that they are translated through HTTP.

omniart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #56
amitadi2
Bat Boy

missing feature

The game is great so far- really enjoying random input of historical players, the new skin and the real-life simulation features. I did notice that one great functionality from OOTP 12 is missing- in that version, one could access from the boxscore and gamelog all of the other reports of the game. In this version, once you are actually playing a game, it seems that you cannot access reports outside of it- that is a real disadvantage in my view. Am I missing something?
amitadi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #57
DCG12
All Star Starter

Location: Traveling through another dimension-not one of only sight and sound,but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundries are those of imagination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Didn't think I'd be thrilled with facegens with transparent backgrounds as I liked my many ballpark backgrounds. I may miss those "ballpark pics" a bit but the larger facegens really do look great and I'm glad they are there. I guess size does matter.

You can still use backgrounds. It is an option under game set-up. Player and picture options tab then on the right side under fictional picture options. You might need to do a universal picture update to get them to show after turning the option on. Backgrounds show up in game and on pages like the stats page etc. The player page still uses the transparent background.

Edit: There are two update buttons "update/generate" and "force update/generate" be sure to use the force update as this will make the game look for the backgrounds which by the way need to be in your facegen folder.

Last edited by DCG12; 04-07-2012 at 08:29 AM.
DCG12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #58
Hoiles
All Star Reserve

I think the new interface is a HUGE improvement. There's a bit less info but it looks a lot less cluttered too which makes the game more pleasant for me. The screens have a more videogame feel than webpage, but I think that's a plus for me in terms of presentation too.
Hoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #59
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG12 View Post
You can still use backgrounds. It is an option under game set-up. Player and picture options tab then on the right side under fictional picture options. You might need to do a universal picture update to get them to show after turning the option on. Backgrounds show up in game and on pages like the stats page etc. The player page still uses the transparent background.

Edit: There are two update buttons "update/generate" and "force update/generate" be sure to use the force update as this will make the game look for the backgrounds which by the way need to be in your facegen folder.

It would be great to have player backgrounds with the players' team's transparent logo...I wonder if that is possible some how????
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #60
iowagrad2003
Bat Boy

WOW! RTS is awesome!
iowagrad2003 is offline   Reply With Quote