Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
belt
Bat Boy

Can't get a job!

Whenever I start a MLB game, nobody will offer me a job. When I start a custom game with pretty much all the leagues in it, the Appalachian League and a bunch of other foreign teams will offer me jobs.

I'm not sure why the Appalachian League will offer me a job in custom but not in MLB. Do I need to turn on commish mode and just force a job?
belt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Mortimer
Minors (Double A)

yes, I have never been offered a MLB job, you just need to go into commissioner and you can join any team.
Mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

or you can sim a few years and then you might get a MLB job thats what I usally do with my custom leagues.

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
24Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:29 AM   #4
shinino
Bat Boy

The question is, why doesn't it let you get hired on a minor league team?
shinino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
hopeful1212
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinino View Post
Probably because there's no positions open (ie all the minor league teams start with managers). In previous versions, I've only been offered a job if there's an opening from someone getting fired or their contract being up.

They should probably change the quickstart so that there are a few teams without managers at the start.
hopeful1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
Electric
Bat Boy

I just got this game... no job in MLB yet. Do most people start themselves on a team? I'd rather be assigned to a random team and work my way up.
Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Stinson
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinino View Post
It does, you just have to wait for an opening. Keep an eye on the bad teams, and wait for them to fire their manager.

I'm not sure how likely you are to get hired at each level, but I know Rookie League teams will pounce on you as soon as they have an opening. Just stick with it, and jobs will start opening up.
Stinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #8
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Try going to community college for retraining.

Oh! Oops, wrong forum.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
ProfessorT
Bat Boy

I've been trying in vain to get hired. I even built a juggernaut minor league squad (using the Commissioner Mode, of course) just to see how long it would take me to receive a job offer. Over seven seasons, my teams played .840 baseball and won six championships. (I was runner-up in the seventh.)

I haven't received a single offer from a major league team. Worse yet, consider this: after I won my third title, my reputation was increased to "Very Good GM"; after I won my fifth, I was downgraded to "Good GM." After the sixth win, I remain just a "Good GM" without a job offer.
ProfessorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #10
awick
Major Leagues

ProfT -- If you have a job, then no one will offer you a new one. You're already working! However, you should eventually get promoted within your organization, but that depends on vacancies coming open at higher levels.

If you have several years experience, then quit your current job. When vacancies at other clubs arise, someone will offer you a job. That offer, though, may again be in the minors.

In one of my OOTP careers, I started at the rookie level and worked my way to AAA in the same organization over about 5-6 seasons, advancing level by level. I quit that career before I ever got promoted to the show.
awick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
The Game
Hall Of Famer

In one recent league it took me 12 seasons to become manager of a MLB team. That lasted for 41 games for the 2013 San Diego Padres (fictional) I took over for the manager at the ASG at was fired in late Sertember 3 games under .500. I took (was offered no MLB jobs) no offers after the 2002 season coming of a NY-Penn League Championship with the Brooklyn Cyclones nor after the 2007 season after winning the International League Championship with the Iowa Cubs. Right now I am the Bench Coach for the 2014 Charlotte Knights.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
ProfessorT
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by awick View Post
ProfT -- If you have a job, then no one will offer you a new one. You're already working! If you have several years experience, then quit your current job. When vacancies at other clubs arise, someone will offer you a job.
Thanks for the tip, awick. I did what you recommended -- quit my minor league job -- and received a major league offer after a full season had passed. Actually, I received four major league offers at that time.

I guess I figured that if I was doing so great as a minor league GM, a major league club would try to recruit me in the off-season.
ProfessorT is offline   Reply With Quote