Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-11-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Have you ever regretted simming a game?

Here's the scenario:

I have a team that I didn't expect much from. After a little more than 1/4 of the season they are 2 games over .500. Several rookies in the starting line-up so they have me pretty interested. I have played out every single inning of every single game.

In the past few games the team has slumped woefully on offense. At 22-22 my 5th starter is set to pitch. He has been a huge disappointment. He allows a lead-off single followed by a walk and another single that loaded the bases with nobody out in the top of the 1st inning. I visit the mound hoping to calm him down.

The very next pitch is a grand slam.

That's it. I simmed the rest. The 1st time I have simmed all season too. Damn don't ya know it, this happens:

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 332
Size:  56.2 KB

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:07 PM   #2
Trebro
All Star Reserve

You are doing better with the Legends than I did (I was fired in '63 playing stats only).
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:15 PM   #3
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Philadelphia is definitely a challenge. Tight budget, tough owner, no superstars, and a highly over-rated minor league system. I didn't want to start with my push yet. I wanted to draft high for a couple of seasons. But this owner is too impatient. I was worried after 1960 that I would be fired soon. I've made 3 big moves in 2 seasons.

First, I signed free-agent LF Jaime Schrieber to a long-term deal in 1960. Next, I traded SP Jayden Bartee and 2 prospects for 1B Jimmy Paulsen from Dallas in 1961. Lastly, I signed 35-yr old free-agent SP Ed Stovall to a 4-yr deal. He's a workhorse. I'm in budget-hell and I'm really hoping Cy Becker retires soon so I'll have a little wiggle room this offseason.

I think with one more good starting pitcher and one more big bat in the OF/DH I can compete for a division title. I just don't think the owner will ante up the extra money. Without it, I'll probably have a decent 1962 and 1963. I'll probably get fired then. I don't care, though. I'd rather be in New York or Los Angeles anyway.

All-in-all, I'm afraid that I pulled the trigger too soon and added a couple of veterans to the the youth movement and will not be able to sustain a long-term play-off drive.

Last edited by Honorable_Pawn; 02-12-2015 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:26 PM   #4
Trebro
All Star Reserve

My problem was the Philly seemed to be where actual home run hitters went to die. My pitching actually ended up pretty well (top half of league) but could never get the b bats to wake up.

I actually did a little dance at my computer when Becker hit free agency.

I should load that one again before I go to '16, see if maybe I can do better with another of the 4 teams.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:32 PM   #5
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Since I'm so excited that someone posted their experience with the quick start here's where I'm at:

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  251.7 KB
Name:  Untitled2.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  246.2 KB
Name:  Untitled3.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  250.9 KB
Name:  Untitled4.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  492.1 KB

And when Jaime Schreiber (he got reinjured on a injury rehab assignment) comes back I think I'll be in pretty good shape. It won't be enough to catch New Jersey though. Hopefully, a strong finish will entice the owner to open the purse strings. We'll see.

Name:  Untitled5.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  486.9 KB

Old 02-12-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebro View Post
My problem was the Philly seemed to be where actual home run hitters went to die. My pitching actually ended up pretty well (top half of league) but could never get the b bats to wake up.

I actually did a little dance at my computer when Becker hit free agency.

I should load that one again before I go to '16, see if maybe I can do better with another of the 4 teams.
I actually resigned him (totally stupid) so that he could retire a Legend. He does own all the Philly records so I role-played that signing. I'm regretting the choice.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:59 PM   #7
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebro View Post
My problem was the Philly seemed to be where actual home run hitters went to die.
I'm not sure if you know but I have made some tweaks to ball park factors when I created field diagrams here.

I don't have all the teams done. I'm making them as I face a team on the road. I think next year I'm going to play that interleague schedule so I should get all the west teams done.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #8
Trebro
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
I actually resigned him (totally stupid) so that he could retire a Legend. He does own all the Philly records so I role-played that signing. I'm regretting the choice.
I can totally understand that. When I did my "Fixing the Pirates" dynasty, I coaxed Bob Walk to win #100 (in a year I wasn't going anywhere), even though it was not to my team's betterment.

Your screen shots bring back memories--not all of them good! (Evans frustrated me no end, being maddeningly hot and cold.)

In my future games, I've tried to be ruthless. (Except if he's available. Then I like to have Ruth.)
Old 02-12-2015, 07:45 PM   #9
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

lol...

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 218
Size:  9.4 KB

Old 02-13-2015, 12:06 AM   #10
Trebro
All Star Reserve

By the way, I *really* appreciate that quick start, because it was just what I needed when I was a bit lost in the weeds.

"hey, there's this thing set in 1960 with everything done. Add feeds, turn off stats, and go!" --and I did!
Old 02-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #11
smiller
Major Leagues

Where is this Quick Start available? Sounds interesting.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #12
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I sim a season at a time. All the time.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #13
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Congratulations on having such a good time with your league. I envy you. With regard to your question about simulating play, my regret is often how I let it get away from me. That is, like you, my style is play every inning, and I watch as the GM, but occasionally I've become impatient and sim a day or two, then it's a week, or a month, and suddenly I've impulsively auto-played to the end of the regular season and I feel like, in the rush, I've deprived myself of the small steps it takes to get there. Next league, like some sort of New Year's resolution, I'm vowing not to let that happen, but to enjoy all those moments, even it means I only get one or two seasons in before the next release. I generally regret sudden impatience.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #14
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

There was a poster here, I forget who, that plays out every pitch until he is either 10 games out or 10 games up. That's probably what I will do. I'm only going to sim one game at a time in that situation.

I definitely prefer to keep it slow but I have no trouble slowly speeding it up from time to time.

Old 02-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #15
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Where is this Quick Start available? Sounds interesting.
See the link in my sig line.