Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-07-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Help with how to lay out my IF

I'm am having trouble deciding how I should line up my IF. Capilla is a stud 2B, great SS, and an ok 3B. Radford is a stud 3B and great 2B/SS. Rodriguez is a below to average SS/2B/3B.

I have been rolling with Cap at 2B, Rad at SS, and srod at 3B, but Rod not been playing very well there. He has done a little better at 2B. The AI coach wants to put Rod at SS, which I am not comfortable with.

What should I do?

Jose Capilla

Sam Radford

Salvy Rodriguez

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
Trebro
All Star Reserve

I would trade the poor fielding Rodriguez. His ZR is all negative. But since he is least ngtive at second, it might be worth seeing if you can get away with him there and move Cap to third.
Trebro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 04:56 PM   #3
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Rodriguez is young, and his IF ratings aren't too bad. His fielding should improve over time. Any trade that brought you a better fielder would doubtless be for a worse hitter. I would leave him at third base, where his lack of fielding skill does the least damage.

For the other positions, Capilla at second and Radford at short is obvious.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:42 AM   #4
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

The issue I see with Rodriguez playing third is his middling Arm Strength. It's kind of an important rating for the hot corner. The fact that you really need a solid defensive player at SS excludes him from that position. So I would personally put Rodriguez at 2B, then Capilla at SS and Radford at 3B.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:26 AM   #5
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
The issue I see with Rodriguez playing third is his middling Arm Strength. It's kind of an important rating for the hot corner. The fact that you really need a solid defensive player at SS excludes him from that position. So I would personally put Rodriguez at 2B, then Capilla at SS and Radford at 3B.
Rodriguez's arm is merely mediocre, not wretched. I think that his fielding will do less damage at third than in the more critical second base position.
Old 02-08-2015, 06:31 AM   #6
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That arm strength is my concern. I am not a big defensive stat buff, but is there a stat that highlights arm strength deficiencies?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

Old 02-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
cmaug
Major Leagues

I'd put Rodriguez at second and leave him there for while - he's got good scores in the 2 categories a I value most there (range and turn dp). I'll put up with a couple errors for that bat.
cmaug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
Rodriguez's arm is merely mediocre, not wretched. I think that his fielding will do less damage at third than in the more critical second base position.
Never said it was wretched; I said "middling," meaning mediocre.

While a 3B generally needs less fielding ability than a 2B, I feel like his 5 Arm Strength would hurt him at 3rd far more than his 7 Range and 7 Turn DP would hurt him at 2nd. Plus, a 6 overall isn't bad for a young guy; I wouldn't be surprised if he could up it to a 7 or even an 8. His Arm Strength likely will forever weaken his overall 3B rating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
That arm strength is my concern. I am not a big defensive stat buff, but is there a stat that highlights arm strength deficiencies?
Not that I'm aware of, but I really don't know much about defensive statistics.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:05 AM   #9
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
While a 3B generally needs less fielding ability than a 2B, I feel like his 5 Arm Strength would hurt him at 3rd far more than his 7 Range and 7 Turn DP would hurt him at 2nd. Plus, a 6 overall isn't bad for a young guy; I wouldn't be surprised if he could up it to a 7 or even an 8. His Arm Strength likely will forever weaken his overall 3B rating.
I see your argument, and you may well be right, but think about it this way: Rodriguez's poor rating at third base appears to be due primarily to his weak arm, perhaps coupled with inexperience at the position. As you note, young guys tend to improve as they learn a position.

If Rodriguez is at third, some balls that should have been outs will instead be infield hits. The question is whether the extra hits that he gives up will outweigh the runners on base that a superb second baseman like Capilla will prevent. Since second basemen get many more fielding chances than third basemen, the answer seems clear to me. (Note that Rodriguez has averaged twice as many chances per game at second as at third (4.00 vs. 1.98) and that Capilla, with his greater range, has even more (4.54).)
Old 02-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #10
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Personally, I'm just wary putting such a low rating at any position. I'd much rather go with a 10, 8, and 6 than a 10, 8, and 4. Even though 2B is more important defensively than 3B, I feel like the dropoff due to ratings will be felt more with that 4 overall.

EDIT: Just checked the player sheets again, and Rodriguez is already up to a 7 at 2B. I'm more firm than ever on keeping him there.

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 02-10-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #11
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

So many differing opinions. That's why I love this game there's hardly ever a clear cut answer.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:50 PM   #12
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

I think you should let Salvador Rodriguez learn 3B. I don't think that 4 rating is his full potential because his IF ratings look pretty decent. He should at least be an average 3B. The other 2 are interchangeable at 2B and SS as they both have great range, arms, and are good at turning double plays.
Tyler87898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #13
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

As I'm thinking about this more, it probably wouldn't matter if Salv Rodriguez played 2B because he looks to be above average there.

As long as he doesn't play SS, everything should work out.

I would put Radford at SS because his stats are looking better over Capilla in previous years.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #14
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
As I'm thinking about this more, it probably wouldn't matter if Salv Rodriguez played 2B because he looks to be above average there.

As long as he doesn't play SS, everything should work out.

I would put Radford at SS because his stats are looking better over Capilla in previous years.
Would would play third? Cap has no experience there. I actually am probably going to have to trade or release Cap. He has been declining and his contract is high for my league. How damaging do you think it would be to put Rod at 3rd, Rad at SS, and Myron Johnstone at 2B?

Old 02-10-2015, 04:33 PM   #15
Tyler87898
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Would would play third? Cap has no experience there. I actually am probably going to have to trade or release Cap. He has been declining and his contract is high for my league. How damaging do you think it would be to put Rod at 3rd, Rad at SS, and Myron Johnstone at 2B?
Cap would be a fantastic 3B once he gains experience and learns the position. If you wanna put him there in spring training to help him learn, that would work. I mean, even if he is a 4 at 3B now that's not completely awful. He will get better.

I think Rad at SS, Johnstone at 2B, and Rod at 3rd would be pretty good but not as good as my combo with Capilla.

Last edited by Tyler87898; 02-10-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:37 AM   #16
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler87898 View Post
I think you should let Salvador Rodriguez learn 3B. I don't think that 4 rating is his full potential because his IF ratings look pretty decent. He should at least be an average 3B. The other 2 are interchangeable at 2B and SS as they both have great range, arms, and are good at turning double plays.
The thing is, Arm Strength is a very important rating for a third baseman, and Rodriguez's is not great, despite his decent Range and Error ratings. He will likely get better at 3rd if left there to develop, but I'd be surprised if it went higher than a 6. Not bad, but I feel he'd be better elsewhere.