Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
sreem
All Star Reserve

Market Size Increase!?

OMG, finished my first season in fictional MLB, with my expansion Missoula Osprey finishing in 5th in the NL Central, 4 games out of a wild card spot.

At the end of the year I got a message from my owner saying that our Market Size increased (from Small to Below Average)!

I didn't even know this could happen!!!! How Cool!!! Is there anything this game CAN'T do?!
Old 08-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreem View Post
I didn't even know this could happen!!!! How Cool!!! Is there anything this game CAN'T do?!
Yes, but they're working on it!

Seriously, watch the market size changes. AFAIK, these are random and not related to your team's performance, like fan interest and loyalty.

Depending on your financial settings, market sizes can get skewed and adversely affect your results. You may want to take on commissioner powers and periodically tweak them here and there.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
thbroman
All Star Reserve

From time to time Le Grande Orange (perhaps others too) has voiced his desire to see market size tied more realistically to the size of the city where a team is located, but I agree that the way the game handles market size now is not completely satisfactory.
thbroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
sreem
All Star Reserve

I thought it was tied to the fact that my Fan Interest was so high and we outperformed expectations in our first year.

The revelation that market size isn't tied to anything is a bit of a downer.

It would be really cool if at the very start of the game it was tied to the home city of the team, and then as time went on fluctuated (very slowly) as interest in the team spread or contracted to/from the surrounding areas.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

Deja Bru was talking about storyline related market increases. Those are tied to storylines that may or may not have anything to do with your team's success but in this case, take heart sreem, your change was tied to your fan interest being so high and your success. I know because this has been a part of the game for 3 or 4 years and I have seen it happen before I ever put storyline -based market size increases/decreases in the game (I am the one who wrote/screwed up/then tried to fix the market size storylines).
Old 08-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200 View Post
Deja Bru was talking about storyline related market increases. Those are tied to storylines that may or may not have anything to do with your team's success but in this case, take heart sreem, your change was tied to your fan interest being so high and your success. I know because this has been a part of the game for 3 or 4 years and I have seen it happen before I ever put storyline -based market size increases/decreases in the game (I am the one who wrote/screwed up/then tried to fix the market size storylines).
Heh, thanks for the "mea culpa"! Which wasn't necessary anyway.

But no, I was talking about the random changes in market sizes that are built into the game. Until a few versions ago, they could be frequent but have been since toned down. They still occur, however. This is more basic than the changes that you describe as storylines but I could stand corrected in that the ones that I am talking about might be related to strong movements in fan interest over time, as you imply. That would make sense.

- Bru

Old 08-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbroman View Post
From time to time Le Grande Orange (perhaps others too) has voiced his desire to see market size tied more realistically to the size of the city where a team is located ...
Someday I'll hammer out a satisfactory system. I've gotten close, but some aspects of it I still can't quite resolve to my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbroman View Post
... but I agree that the way the game handles market size now is not completely satisfactory.
It does have the advantage of allowing the user to put a major league-level club in pretty much any location they want, regardless of its population size. I'm sure some would find it fun to put an ML team in their small home town.

That aspect should be retained, I think.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
thbroman
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
Someday I'll hammer out a satisfactory system. I've gotten close, but some aspects of it I still can't quite resolve to my liking.

It does have the advantage of allowing the user to put a major league-level club in pretty much any location they want, regardless of its population size. I'm sure some would find it fun to put an ML team in their small home town.

That aspect should be retained, I think.
For sure. Without it you wouldn't have the option of parking "major league" teams virtually anywhere.
thbroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
sreem
All Star Reserve

Thanks guys. I love the indepthness (is that a word?) of this game. I wanted to have similar jerseys and logos compared to the MLB Quickstart, since I use the real universe and then do an expansion.

The fact that I was able to put my team in Missoula (not sure why, Montana's nice I hear) and then have the team/market evolve over time just blows my doors off!

I am dangerously close to being completely addicted to this game, and having it take over my every waking moment. (I could quit anytime I want right now, I just don't want to!)
Old 08-09-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreem View Post
Thanks guys. I love the indepthness (is that a word?)
It is now! Watch it go viral.

- Bru