Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #1
BeisbolFan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Depth charts and batting splits

I am relatively new to the game, and am easing into a few more functions after my first season. I want to set the depth charts (not the lineups, still learning strategy for that), and am getting rather confused what is the best way to do it. I am spending a lot of time trying to access vs. right/vs. left batting splits on all my position players. Is there a screen (or a view or filter) that I can set up that will show me the differences in stats vs. R and vs. L? Clicking on 'scope' all the time is driving me a little nuts!

Also, how do you decide who will play vs. RHP and LHP? I'm not sure exactly what I should be paying attention to to make good decisions here.

Much thanks!
BeisbolFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeisbolFan View Post
I am relatively new to the game, and am easing into a few more functions after my first season. I want to set the depth charts (not the lineups, still learning strategy for that), and am getting rather confused what is the best way to do it. I am spending a lot of time trying to access vs. right/vs. left batting splits on all my position players. Is there a screen (or a view or filter) that I can set up that will show me the differences in stats vs. R and vs. L? Clicking on 'scope' all the time is driving me a little nuts!

Also, how do you decide who will play vs. RHP and LHP? I'm not sure exactly what I should be paying attention to to make good decisions here.

Much thanks!
There are some basic rules of thumb for platooning. Keep in mind platooning is rare in the modern game.

Good players rarely get platooned. RHB rarely get platooned. If you need to platoon a RHB you should be looking for a good player to replace him (see below).

Right hand batters platoon much less than left hand batters because LHB often have bigger split differentials than RHB who must hit RHP to make it at all.

LHB who have big split differentials have an easier time making it because they see 70% + RHP. The best platoon partner for a LHB is that rare RHB who has a bigger split differential.

So unless you have weak RHB and LHB that need to be platooned it shouldn't be more than a couple of players.

Edit:

Catcher 1B and LF are the likeliest positions to be platooned. Not so much if you have studs at those positions. It might happen at 3B if you have a rare LHB there.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 01-27-2013 at 08:52 PM.
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I want to set the depth charts (not the lineups, still learning strategy for that), and am getting rather confused what is the best way to do it. I am spending a lot of time trying to access vs. right/vs. left batting splits on all my position players. Is there a screen (or a view or filter) that I can set up that will show me the differences in stats vs. R and vs. L? Clicking on 'scope' all the time is driving me a little nuts!
Go to your roster tab. About 1/4 of the way down on the left you will see the View tab. Click it and select Customize.
This will allow you to build the view with the exact information you are looking for and save it. I am 90% sure you can get all of the split info here. I could be wrong though, I do not pay much attention to split stats. I play with no scout so I have 100% accurate ratings to go by.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
Isryion
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
There are some basic rules of thumb for platooning. Keep in mind platooning is rare in the modern game.

Good players rarely get platooned. RHB rarely get platooned. If you need to platoon a RHB you should be looking for a good player to replace him (see below).

Right hand batters platoon much less than left hand batters because LHB often have bigger split differentials than RHB who must hit RHP to make it at all.

LHB who have big split differentials have an easier time making it because they see 70% + RHP. The best platoon partner for a LHB is that rare RHB who has a bigger split differential.

So unless you have weak RHB and LHB that need to be platooned it shouldn't be more than a couple of players.

Edit:

Catcher 1B and LF are the likeliest positions to be platooned. Not so much if you have studs at those positions. It might happen at 3B if you have a rare LHB there.
Not sure if it is just leagues I'm in but I find myself platooning far more in OOTP 13 than in the previous version. I tend to see more drastic splits.
Isryion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #5
GMLoophole
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
good advice
RchW hit all the high points. Remember that there is a platoon advantage, but don't let that rule your life or your roster especially where players don't show much difference vs. R or vs. L. Willie Mays and Barry Bonds didn't get platooned.

It's a slight statistical edge that's more pronounced for some players, and it allows you to get slightly more value out of limited players. If, for instance, you have a RH centerfielder and an LH one, neither of whom can hit very well, they might each get enough of a boost from platooning to be adequate.

In general, though, you should try to build an every day lineup that has righty and lefty hitters sprinkled through it. You might platoon at one spot where the players are weakest. But running out all rightys against a lefty pitcher works fine until the lefty is replaced by a righty.

Finally, RchW alluded to the problem for the righty half of a platoon. They don't play very much. And platooning in general reduces plate apperances for both players, so it will take longer for them to amass a good sample size from which to conclude whether or not they really are doing better splitting time than if one player was a regular. Keep that in mind even in real life when looking at a player's stats... "he mashes lefties!!!"... but in 50 AB. Not necessarily a great basis to conclude the guy should be in a platoon.
GMLoophole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

I came to OOTP from Strat where platooning is king.

Still finding my feet here (I have played out 3 seasons), but I probably still over-platoon.

I think teams would be better off platooning a little more and carrying less relievers, but hey, that is just me.

Last edited by rpriske; 02-07-2013 at 12:25 PM.
rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post

Still finding my feet here (I have played out 3 seasons), but I probably still over-platoon.

I think teams would be better off platooning a little more and carrying less relievers, but hey, that is just me.
Platooning is situational. If you end up with players that need platooning then you should do it. OOTP does it for the wrong reasons.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpriske View Post

I am in my 3rd version of OOTP. Played 50+ seasons across all eras and I platoon often. C of course I almost always sit my starter vs LHP and let my backup play. My backup will also play every 4th or 5th day vs RHP. Both my leadoff hitters hit great vs either RHP or LHP last year, Lance Johnson RHP .288 .343 .112 .132 vs LHP & Michael Jordan (clone of Michael Tucker) .343 .378 vs RHP .213 .229
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
Go to your roster tab. About 1/4 of the way down on the left you will see the View tab. Click it and select Customize.
This will allow you to build the view with the exact information you are looking for and save it. I am 90% sure you can get all of the split info here. I could be wrong though, I do not pay much attention to split stats. I play with no scout so I have 100% accurate ratings to go by.
Keep in mind that even without customizing, if you go to Batting Stats in the View drop-down on the Roster tap, it will show two Split drop-downs at the top - where you can choose to show any split imaginable. So it's a little bit built in, though of course customizing is great as well.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote