Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
rexrowland
Minors (Single A)

Fictional Player Names and Online Action

Hello, I got this game today because I want to have a customizable fictional 16-team league with just me (in CA) and a friend (in WI) as managers and the remaining 14 teams computer controlled. Because this game is so overwhelming in detail (which is a good thing), I have a few questions.

1) Is it possible to change the names of fictional players? It seems I am able to customize so much else, but I haven't found an option for player names yet.

2) How might we conduct an online draft where the two of us would draft from our respective homes while letting the computer draft the rest?

3) Sorry for this naivete, but I'm new to games played online, so I'm not really sure I understand the concept of how whatever I do on my end regarding gameplay will be updated on his end. How does it work? Is there just some neutral site that we both save things to?

Thank you!

Last edited by rexrowland; 02-06-2013 at 07:34 PM.
rexrowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexrowland View Post
Hello, I got this game today because I want to have a customizable fictional 16-team league with just me (in CA) and a friend (in WI) as managers and the remaining 14 teams computer controlled. Because this game is so overwhelming in detail (which is a good thing), I have a few questions.

1) Is it possible to change the names of fictional players? It seems I am able to customize so much else, but I haven't found an option for player names yet.

2) How might we conduct an online draft where the two of us would draft from our respective homes while letting the computer draft the rest?

3) Sorry for this naivete, but I'm new to games played online, so I'm not really sure I understand the concept of how whatever I do on my end regarding gameplay will be updated on his end. How does it work? Is there just some neutral site that we both save things to?

Thank you!
1. Put yourself in Commissioner mode and then when you click on a player's profile you will see teh edit tab. When changing the players name from say Mike to John hit enter and it will go through.
Sorry can't help you with the other 2. You can do this but I can't tell you exactly how without the possibility of telling you the wrong way. If no one else answers soon. PM a Commish of a online league and they should be able to guide you step by step.
Basically you would update the game on your end and upload it to a server or just to him and and he would download it with the updates.
The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Kaaosaste
Minors (Double A)

Quote:

You could have one person make his changes, zip the entire .lg folder, send it to the other person, who would download it, extract it, make their changes, then progress the game forward however many days as you've agreed upon. And repeat. Extremely bulky and awkward (and time consuming), but at least possible.

By far, the easier method would be to start a league as an online league, add you and your friend as human managers (with the rest set to computer), and do it that way. This method is much easier (all downloading and updating of the game file is done via in-game functionality), but it does require you have some sort of online file hosting.

An OOTP member has put up a series of tutorial on how to set up an online league here.

Quote:
This might be a pain, although it's certainly doable.

One method would be to conduct the draft in-game, and upload a new league file every time the draft gets to a human pick. Very time consuming.

Another would involve using one of the database utilities that have been created by OOTP members, but again, this requires hosting of some sort.

I'm probably throwing a lot at you, I know. Feel free to PM me and I'll try to help you as best I can.
Kaaosaste is offline   Reply With Quote