Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
BrewCrew1025
Minors (Single A)

Feeder League Question

I'm currently running an online historical league. I'm at the first year player draft and most of us are annoyed at the scouting system being the only way to evaluate the draft pool.

Would creating a feeder league(s) change this in the future? Would players from now on come through the first year player draft from the feeder leagues, and would they be real historical players?
BrewCrew1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
BrewCrew1025
Minors (Single A)

Answer

If anyone is wondering about this, I found that the feeder leagues only create fictional players in historical leagues. Just an FYI!
Old 07-25-2011, 12:22 AM   #3
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewCrew1025 View Post
If anyone is wondering about this, I found that the feeder leagues only create fictional players in historical leagues. Just an FYI!
A time consuming option would be to import historical players as teenagers and manually assign them to feeder teams. I personally enjoy it so the extra time doesn't bother me.
GiantYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #4
BrewCrew1025
Minors (Single A)

That's interesting, I hadn't thought of that. How do you handle that exactly? If you can give me more detail, that would be great. Feel free to PM me or reply to the thread.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
That's interesting, I hadn't thought of that. How do you handle that exactly? If you can give me more detail, that would be great. Feel free to PM me or reply to the thread.
Do you know how to import historical players? I would import Jackie Robinson for example. He will immediately go into the free agent pool. I click on his player card and assign him to one of the feeders. Don't forget to adjust the players age so that they are high school or college age. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Jackie Robinson Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com
Old 07-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #6
BrewCrew1025
Minors (Single A)

I'm aware of how to import a historical player, but it wouldn't just make the player whatever age he was at that point in history?

Last edited by BrewCrew1025; 07-25-2011 at 12:54 AM. Reason: typing error
Old 07-25-2011, 12:48 AM   #7
BrewCrew1025
Minors (Single A)

Also, would the pool have any double players? Or extra for that matter? My league uses the ootp development engine. What effects might that have?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:52 AM   #8
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
I'm aware of how to import a historical player, but it wouldn't just make the player whatever age he was at that point un history?
Yes. If I import JR in 1937 (18 years old) I can put him into a college feeder. If I import him in 1934 (15 years old) I can place him in a HS feeder. You could also edit player age instead of importing them as a teenager.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:58 AM   #9
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
Also, would the pool have any double players? Or extra for that matter? My league uses the ootp development engine. What effects might that have?
The pool would have double players if you import historical rookies. I don't import historical rookies so I can have my guys play in feeders. Don't think this will work for you if you use that option. Also the years that your league runs will have an impact. Let's say I begin a fictional league in 2000 and import historical rookies. I will get historical rookies from season 2000-2010 (or 2009).
I could import any player from the 1800s-1999 without feer of duplication.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
BrewCrew1025
Minors (Single A)

By import historical rookies, you mean the option instead of holding an amateur draft?
Old 07-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #11
BrewCrew1025
Minors (Single A)

Another question I have is do the feeder leagues aid in development? Could they possibly hamper a player's development?
Old 07-25-2011, 03:48 PM   #12
BrewCrew1025
Minors (Single A)

Basically, what I want to know is how to find a sure-fire way to prevent fictional players from entering my draft and having real historical players play in feeder leagues. Any suggestions?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #13
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
By import historical rookies, you mean the option instead of holding an amateur draft?
Importing historical players is not related to the draft unless you place the imported player in a feeder league first. The player than will show up when he reaches the age max of the feeder league.

Quote:
Another question I have is do the feeder leagues aid in development? Could they possibly hamper a player's development?
I honestly don't know. I haven't read anything that confirms that statement. People like me love it b/c you can use stats to help evaluate a player.

Quote:
Basically, what I want to know is how to find a sure-fire way to prevent fictional players from entering my draft and having real historical players play in feeder leagues. Any suggestions?
I'm not completely sure. If you are playing modern day leagues your league will become fictional based on fictional players being created for your league.
(i.e. drafts in 2012, 13, etc). The only way to prevent fictional players is to run a historical league (80% sure about that).
Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 PM   #14
BrewCrew1025
Minors (Single A)

I am running a historical league and I want to import rookies into feeder leagues to add stats to our evaluating tools. When you import those players, how accurate are the ratings? And in turn their stats?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 PM   #15
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
I am running a historical league and I want to import rookies into feeder leagues to add stats to our evaluating tools. When you import those players, how accurate are the ratings? And in turn their stats?
I'm not going to get into the accuracy of the ratings b/c that's a huge topic that I don't know much about. Please refer to the link, post 4.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ame-scout.html

So with running that historical league you need to be careful that you import historical players that played before the time of your league. Also are you planning to clear MLB history and create your own? Another issue would be importing historical players like Babe Ruth and not erasing previous league history. Is this a historical mlb or historical fictional (real players, fictional teams)?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #16
BrewCrew1025
Minors (Single A)

Essentially, what I'm looking to do is replace the regular draft we hold with actual historical rookies that have not played yet. So, rather than just having 1966 rookies in my 1965 amateur pool, I'm looking to place those players, and others that will debut later in "history" to the feeder leagues. So, if Tom Seaver debuted in 1967, I want him to be playing in a feeder league during the 1966 season of my simulation. Does that clarify?

Also, I'm not sure where to import historical rookies from. I get to the import historical rookies option and I'm not sure where to go from there. Any chance you can help? I'm using default historical rosters for my league. I appreciate all the help!

Last edited by BrewCrew1025; 07-25-2011 at 08:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #17
GiantYankee
All Star Starter

Quote:
Essentially, what I'm looking to do is replace the regular draft we hold with actual historical rookies that have not played yet. So, rather than just having 1966 rookies in my 1965 amateur pool, I'm looking to place those players, and others that will debut later in "history" to the feeder leagues. So, if Tom Seaver debuted in 1967, I want him to be playing in a feeder league during the 1966 season of my simulation. Does that clarify?

Also, I'm not sure where to import historical rookies from. I get to the import historical rookies option and I'm not sure where to go from there. Any chance you can help? I'm using default historical rosters for my league. I appreciate all the help!
Definitely clarifies. I don't think there is a way to mass import historical players so that they appear in the draft that is void of fictional players.
Click on league transactions at the bottom of your league screen.
Click on import historical player
Choose historical database in the data/stats folder.
Enter historical ID
Enter season year.
Choose either real stats or neutralized stats
click import player and you should be good.

You can get the historical player I.D. from baseball reference.
I.E. Tom Seaver's player I.D. is seaveto01

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...eaveto01.shtml

Last edited by GiantYankee; 07-25-2011 at 08:48 PM. Reason: additional info