Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:06 PM   #1
TheBrewCrew
Minors (Double A)

Benefits / Tips for Selecting Multiple Leagues?

Hello everyone!

I have been playing OOTP for a few years now and typically do Opening Day starts for the current MLB season. I have only ever selected MLB as the league choice.

What kind of benefits / perks are there for selecting leagues from other countries? I would still most likely run it as a GM of a MLB organization.

If I do add other leagues, anything you have to do differently or focus on over the course of the season?

Thanks for your recommendations and tips in advance!
TheBrewCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:09 PM   #2
BigCountryBumgarner
Minors (Rookie Ball)

They can serve as basically more talented feeder leagues for the MLB. International players who want to join the MLB will get posted like Ohtani and these players can be talented free agent players you can bid for.
BigCountryBumgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 02:11 AM   #3
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Well running all the leagues eliminates the need for any random created established free agents which is usually turned on by default. And you can often get players that break the league. Someone coming from Cuba with all max ratings who crushes everything but is 28.

This way they are all real ootp players and less likely to have some kind of insane monster randomly created. Now if you have that feature turned off then its another story.

Another good thing about turning on all the international leagues and independent leagues is you can setup milb to be more like real life with service time and roster limits.

Meaning if you don't touch your roster the entire year you still have to cut 40 minor leaguers every year after the draft since you draft about 40 guys.

All those extra leagues gives guys places to play. If you have unlimited minor league rosters and no settings to limit it then all those extra leagues mean less in my opinion. You don't need indy/int leagues when you can have 120 players in your dominican team. And AI teams will certainly have that many players after 5 years. Watch how many minor leaguers yankees, cubs, sox start to have hundreds and hundreds.

Foreign leagues very rarely post players maybe 1 player a decade. But a lot become free agents. Plus anyone those leagues cut is an automatic free agent. They might cut a young guy who doesn't have any potential but he still might be better then a scouting discovery or 39th draft pick. So you can sign him to a minor league deal.

Even the Indy leagues might sign a foreign player or discarded draft pick, cut guy, injury prone guy that all sudden catches fire or a 2nd life. Then you can buy their contract out. Since MLB can buy any USA indy contract.

It tends to happen each year in real MLB where Indy guys come back around maybe 5 years after they were drafted or they spent 3 seasons over seas.

The other thing is the Mexican League is actually a fully MLB AAA minor league. It just isn't associated like milb teams. Any mlb team can negotiate with a mexican team to buy their players. Again its things that happen every year in the mlb. Nothing for the most part comes of it. But it's all about looking for talent everywhere. Because you never know who is going to pop to a super star or who will fizzle out.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
TheBrewCrew
Minors (Double A)

Thank you both very much!
Old 03-31-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
TheBrewCrew
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Well running all the leagues eliminates the need for any random created established free agents which is usually turned on by default. And you can often get players that break the league. Someone coming from Cuba with all max ratings who crushes everything but is 28.

This way they are all real ootp players and less likely to have some kind of insane monster randomly created. Now if you have that feature turned off then its another story.

Another good thing about turning on all the international leagues and independent leagues is you can setup milb to be more like real life with service time and roster limits.

Meaning if you don't touch your roster the entire year you still have to cut 40 minor leaguers every year after the draft since you draft about 40 guys.

All those extra leagues gives guys places to play. If you have unlimited minor league rosters and no settings to limit it then all those extra leagues mean less in my opinion. You don't need indy/int leagues when you can have 120 players in your dominican team. And AI teams will certainly have that many players after 5 years. Watch how many minor leaguers yankees, cubs, sox start to have hundreds and hundreds.

Foreign leagues very rarely post players maybe 1 player a decade. But a lot become free agents. Plus anyone those leagues cut is an automatic free agent. They might cut a young guy who doesn't have any potential but he still might be better then a scouting discovery or 39th draft pick. So you can sign him to a minor league deal.

Even the Indy leagues might sign a foreign player or discarded draft pick, cut guy, injury prone guy that all sudden catches fire or a 2nd life. Then you can buy their contract out. Since MLB can buy any USA indy contract.

It tends to happen each year in real MLB where Indy guys come back around maybe 5 years after they were drafted or they spent 3 seasons over seas.

The other thing is the Mexican League is actually a fully MLB AAA minor league. It just isn't associated like milb teams. Any mlb team can negotiate with a mexican team to buy their players. Again its things that happen every year in the mlb. Nothing for the most part comes of it. But it's all about looking for talent everywhere. Because you never know who is going to pop to a super star or who will fizzle out.

I'm defintely going to have to try this out now! I do run OOTP on an older MacBook Pro...any leagues that you would include over others? In case my laptop can't handle it.
Old 03-31-2020, 01:46 PM   #6
crowhop
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
This is a key point. If running all the leagues, one needs to set the roster limits on all of them. At the very least, all of the Minor Leagues.
crowhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:51 PM   #7
andyhdz
All Star Starter

If you want those other leagues to add/support your mlb then definitely Indy and ***. Korean, Mexican, Cuban, and Chinese are borderline at best help. The Euro and Aussie leagues are trash..
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:13 PM   #8
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
If you want those other leagues to add/support your mlb then definitely Indy and ***. Korean, Mexican, Cuban, and Chinese are borderline at best help. The Euro and Aussie leagues are trash..
Mexican league I've used their resources often during a rebuilding phase or if I don't want to waste an option on a temp bench player. I'll buy 1 from the Mexican league.
Old 03-31-2020, 06:20 PM   #9
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewCrew View Post
I'm defintely going to have to try this out now! I do run OOTP on an older MacBook Pro...any leagues that you would include over others? In case my laptop can't handle it.
If you are concerned about computer performance and storage it is absolutely vital that you change the following settings:

PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> Player Pictures -> Major League Players Only
PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> Create Player Pictures -> On Demand
PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> Update / Generate Player Pictures -> On Jan 1st
PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> Coach Pictures for -> No fictional pictures
PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> FaceGen background mode -> No backgrounds on pictures
PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> Enable baseball cards -> No
PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> RETIRING PLAYERS SETTINGS -> Delete those who never reached Majors - > click yes
PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> STATS SETTINGS -> personal preference here but if you are concerned about space and performance change to "Keep None"

GLOBAL SETTINGS -> Scouting Report History -> Keep No Reports
GLOBAL SETTINGS -> OSA Report History -> Keep No Reports
GLOBAL SETTINGS -> Reports of Retired Players -> Delete
Old 03-31-2020, 06:35 PM   #10
TheBrewCrew
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgjocki View Post
If you are concerned about computer performance and storage it is absolutely vital that you change the following settings:

PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> Player Pictures -> Major League Players Only
PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> Create Player Pictures -> On Demand
PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> Update / Generate Player Pictures -> On Jan 1st
PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> Coach Pictures for -> No fictional pictures
PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> FaceGen background mode -> No backgrounds on pictures
PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> Enable baseball cards -> No
PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> RETIRING PLAYERS SETTINGS -> Delete those who never reached Majors - > click yes
PLAYERS & FACEGEN -> STATS SETTINGS -> personal preference here but if you are concerned about space and performance change to "Keep None"

GLOBAL SETTINGS -> Scouting Report History -> Keep No Reports
GLOBAL SETTINGS -> OSA Report History -> Keep No Reports
GLOBAL SETTINGS -> Reports of Retired Players -> Delete

Thank you so much! I just started one with all of the leagues selected....I figured there was something I would have to do.

Any other recommendations?
Old 03-31-2020, 06:37 PM   #11
TheBrewCrew
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowhop View Post
This is a key point. If running all the leagues, one needs to set the roster limits on all of them. At the very least, all of the Minor Leagues.

How would I go about doing this? I just started one up with all leagues selected. I appreciate all of the help and tips. I want to try and get the problems out before I start.
Old 03-31-2020, 07:44 PM   #12
TheBrewCrew
Minors (Double A)

Quick question. Should I enable the World Cup of Baseball? I decided to do half the leagues (left side, non euro / aussie)...do I need to select all of the leagues for the World Cup to run correctly?

Thanks for all the responses fellas.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:08 PM   #13
Beechnut
Minors (Double A)

To your original post, I enjoy setting up a global league and starting unemployed. I’ll work my way up through the ranks to more and more established leagues before MLB will even give me sniff. It’s a great way to learn more about the teams/players overseas and I feel like a more worldly fan as a result!
Beechnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:17 PM   #14
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Regarding the Mexican League....don't they have a posting agreement with MLB? Same for CPBL.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 08:18 PM   #15
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
regarding the Cuban League...how do players ever get to the MLB?
Old 03-31-2020, 08:21 PM   #16
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Mexican League doesn't post in OOTP they just can be bought out right since its and unaffiliated AAA MLB minor league system.

Cuba you have to turn on finances and allow free agency and posting. There was rules past year regarding MLB and Cuba but I believe US Congress said it violated sanctions so they stopped it.

I tried to mirror that arrangement which allows free agents and posting.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:01 PM   #17
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Mexican League doesn't post in OOTP they just can be bought out right since its and unaffiliated AAA MLB minor league system.

Cuba you have to turn on finances and allow free agency and posting. There was rules past year regarding MLB and Cuba but I believe US Congress said it violated sanctions so they stopped it.

I tried to mirror that arrangement which allows free agents and posting.
yes, but the Mexican League does have posting with the MLB...not sure why this isn't at least being mirrored as best as possible in OOTP.

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/ml...ayer-transfers

Last edited by PSUColonel; 03-31-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-31-2020, 10:53 PM   #18
TheBrewCrew
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
yes, but the Mexican League does have posting with the MLB...not sure why this isn't at least being mirrored as best as possible in OOTP.

https://www.mlb.com/press-release/ml...ayer-transfers

What do you mean by posting with the MLB? What can I do in my league to best replicate it?
Old 04-01-2020, 03:12 AM   #19
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrewCrew View Post
What do you mean by posting with the MLB? What can I do in my league to best replicate it?
Not sure if you can really replicate it. It's pretty weird. Basically MLB can sign any player from the Mexican League but the Mexican Team and the league gets a buyout.

If its some young prospect they think can be a stud I am sure it'll be like millions of bucks. But each player is different. And I'm not sure how well OOTP actually replicates Mexican future young prospects.

I just usually set the buyout for 500k and call it a day. Remember the Mexican league is a pseudo AAA non affiliate its not like the players coming out of Japan and Korea. The Mexican league you are either buying a backup utility guy or some 18 year old who might be decent in 6 years.

The place where you have some settings to change is in Cuba. You have to turn their financials on and setup free agency and posting. But disable buyouts.

MLB and Cuba had an agreement last year I forget the details but I think it was going to be after 6 or 7 years a player would be an international free agent. But a Cuba Team could post or sell their players for the MLB for a huge chunk of change if he was a super stud.

It's much better to set that up in OOTP then leave random established international free agent option on. Then there will be beasts created almost every other year. Its really annoying.

The international free agent options is 1 area OOTP is kind of behind in. Before it was a flat rate now its all about percent on the players signing bonus. If a players get a 40 million signing bonus then the mlb team might have to pay the international team 12 million.

OOTP is trying to simulate the historical flat fee buyout. The fee would actually be unique depending on what contract that player takes in the mlb.

I'm pretty sure even the Japan posting in OOTP is completely incorrect.

The new Japan rule is..............

For players signed to MLB contracts, the posting fee is based on the amount of guaranteed money in the initial contract:

20% of the first $25 million
17.5% of the next $25 million
15% of any amount above $50 million
For players signed to minor-league contracts, the fee is a flat 25% of the contract's value
Old 05-06-2020, 09:19 PM   #20
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not sure if you can really replicate it. It's pretty weird. Basically MLB can sign any player from the Mexican League but the Mexican Team and the league gets a buyout.

If its some young prospect they think can be a stud I am sure it'll be like millions of bucks. But each player is different. And I'm not sure how well OOTP actually replicates Mexican future young prospects.

I just usually set the buyout for 500k and call it a day. Remember the Mexican league is a pseudo AAA non affiliate its not like the players coming out of Japan and Korea. The Mexican league you are either buying a backup utility guy or some 18 year old who might be decent in 6 years.

The place where you have some settings to change is in Cuba. You have to turn their financials on and setup free agency and posting. But disable buyouts.

MLB and Cuba had an agreement last year I forget the details but I think it was going to be after 6 or 7 years a player would be an international free agent. But a Cuba Team could post or sell their players for the MLB for a huge chunk of change if he was a super stud.

It's much better to set that up in OOTP then leave random established international free agent option on. Then there will be beasts created almost every other year. Its really annoying.

The international free agent options is 1 area OOTP is kind of behind in. Before it was a flat rate now its all about percent on the players signing bonus. If a players get a 40 million signing bonus then the mlb team might have to pay the international team 12 million.

OOTP is trying to simulate the historical flat fee buyout. The fee would actually be unique depending on what contract that player takes in the mlb.

I'm pretty sure even the Japan posting in OOTP is completely incorrect.

The new Japan rule is..............

For players signed to MLB contracts, the posting fee is based on the amount of guaranteed money in the initial contract:

20% of the first $25 million
17.5% of the next $25 million
15% of any amount above $50 million
For players signed to minor-league contracts, the fee is a flat 25% of the contract's value

would love to get this stuff done right at some point. Clearly not a priority for the development team however.