Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:47 PM   #1
Jonah Falcon
Minors (Triple A)

Serious problem with pitchers

Okay, this is really irritating me.

It seems like now ratings in pitches is more important than Control/Movement/Stuff.

Because it seems you can have bad Movement and bad control and still have 2 hit, 0 BB, 8 K stuff if you have good Pitches.

I'm sorry, but shouldn't bad Movement, bad Control and mediocre Stuff mean that no matter how good your pitches is, if you can't control it and it can't move, you'd be walking people and giving up hits? Especially if they have a 1 1/2 star rating?

It's hilarious when the Orioles have a 1 1/2 star Asher Wojciechowski dominating good lineups, going 2-0 with a 1.18 ERA and a 0.58 whip in 3 games, then sending him to AAA.

The.
Orioles.

With this new system, they have a great pen, by the way, even though none of them are over 2 stars.

This has completely ruined the game for me. It's just bafflingly unrealistic.

Last edited by Jonah Falcon; 03-22-2020 at 07:53 PM.
Jonah Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:01 AM   #2
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Stuff is an aggregate of the pitch values. For a starter you do generally need at least 3 and usually more good pitches so sometimes if you see a guy with, say, a good fastball and change but a 25/80 “show me” curve, they won’t do well. Also, velocity has an effect on everything: a guy with an average fastball might have a good Stuff rating, and conversely a pitcher might have really good ratings on 4 pitches but still be pretty pitch to contact (low Stuff) if they throw 85 mph.

As for the specific example... sample size. Bad pitchers can string together 3 good games, Juan Nieves once threw a no hitter.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:31 AM   #3
Jonah Falcon
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Stuff is an aggregate of the pitch values. For a starter you do generally need at least 3 and usually more good pitches so sometimes if you see a guy with, say, a good fastball and change but a 25/80 “show me” curve, they won’t do well. Also, velocity has an effect on everything: a guy with an average fastball might have a good Stuff rating, and conversely a pitcher might have really good ratings on 4 pitches but still be pretty pitch to contact (low Stuff) if they throw 85 mph.

As for the specific example... sample size. Bad pitchers can string together 3 good games, Juan Nieves once threw a no hitter.
That's nice, but it's not a small sample size in the game. The Orioles have one of the best pens in the majors despite having no reliever over 2 stars after a few months.

And again, why the f would the Orioles send down a pitcher who has a 0.58 WHIP after 3 games? A team desperate for pitching would let that pitcher pitch til he proves he can't.

(And side note: that pitcher did start 17 games last year for the Orioles. And this year he is destined for the rotation.)

Again, sorry, but the game has prioritized pitches over rating and Control/Stuff/Movement.
Jonah Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:51 AM   #4
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

3 games played by one pitcher is a tiny sample size.

If you want the game to assess players by stats more than ratings, I’d suggest going into the game settings and setting ratings to a low number. Many people use zero (which even then won’t completely eliminate ratings as a criterion when the game has little to no other statistical record to use).

If you think the game has “prioritized pitch ratings over Stuff”, then you didn’t read or don’t understand my previous comment. Stuff *is* pitching ratings plus velocity. That’s all. There isn’t a separate under the hood rating. You can open up the player editor and see this for yourself. It’s an aggregated rating, much like Contact for hitters (which is an aggregate of Avoid Ks and the hidden rating of BABIP with a touch of Power thrown in).
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not

Last edited by Syd Thrift; 03-23-2020 at 07:55 AM.
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
Juan Nieves once threw a no hitter.
Against the Orioles. Little did we know it then, but that was just foreshadowing the 1998-2011 and 2017-202? periods.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
CBL-Commish
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah Falcon View Post
And again, why the f would the Orioles send down a pitcher who has a 0.58 WHIP after 3 games? A team desperate for pitching would let that pitcher pitch til he proves he can't.
You tell me. What was the state of the rest of their roster? Did they need to send someone down, and this pitcher had an option? Do they have a prospect in AAA who has similar stuff and it's plausible that several weeks into the year the AI now has him more highly rated?

Would you expect a MLB team to more highly weight three early season games with a 1.18 ERA over a career as a mostly AAA pitcher with a 5.67 MLB ERA?

I'm sure you know that last year, in real life, Asher Wojciechowski had a game where he went into the 8th inning with a 1-hitter with 10 Ks against the Red Sox, and he allowed four earned in his last three starts including games against the Mariners and Red Sox. In the same year where he was purchased from the Indians for a pittance, the same guy who has been released or let go as a minor league free agent six times. I think I'd wait until I'd simmed out a few months before completely dismissing the game based on a microscopic sampling of somewhat unexpected results.

Last edited by CBL-Commish; 03-23-2020 at 10:23 AM.
CBL-Commish is offline   Reply With Quote