Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:42 PM   #1
AMRO
Bat Boy

Good laptop for OOTP 21?

Does anybody have a recommendation for a good laptop to run OOTP21 on? Also, does the game work well with a monitor attached to the laptop? I would like to have a larger monitor for when I’m playing at home.

And is there any case to be made for having a desktop instead? This is the only game I’ll play on it so I’m thinking a laptop will handle it fine, but I’m not the most computer savvy.

Thanks in advance.
AMRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #2
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Why have a laptop? A desktop in the large majority of cases will always be superior. If your only game is ootp it might matter less.

But generally speaking a desktop will always be cheaper then exact specced laptop will be. And laptop is always in danger from mechanical failures not related to computer hardware failure. Cases, hinges, spills, falls etc. The amount of plastic parts that break on cheap or budget laptops is staggering.

But everyone has different tastes. Better off with an easily upgraded small form factor desktop bought refurbished off of business lease.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:01 PM   #3
AMRO
Bat Boy

I’d never heard of small form factor before. I just looked those up and they seem tiny and pretty good. Thanks for the tip!
AMRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 07:04 PM   #4
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Biggest things you want are at minimum a quad core processor, SSD hard disk, and 8gb ram.

Screen minimum 1080p resolution. I would suggest 24 inch.

If you live near a microcenter go there
Old 03-15-2020, 01:34 AM   #5
rworth88
Minors (Double A)

Laptop is good for traveling for me anyway, the game starts to lag when your league gets too big, never had an issue with my desktop, plus you get 2 licenses, one for each comp!
rworth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:01 AM   #6
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Nothing beats a laptop for what is essentially what I call an Excel game like OOTP with minimal-to-low demands on a graphics card.

Also, laptops have the advantage of going "oh, I'll play my game in the other room today", and seven seconds later you're good to go.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 03:18 AM   #7
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Nothing beats a laptop for what is essentially what I call an Excel game like OOTP with minimal-to-low demands on a graphics card.

Also, laptops have the advantage of going "oh, I'll play my game in the other room today", and seven seconds later you're good to go.
I'm in on most of that. Love my 'lil laptop and its been good to me over a lot of years now, almost unexpectedly. Westie's right about the excel-like feel, and when you're constantly reviewing numbers and 'boxes' of info, it gives me a crisp overview.

That being said, I'm finally considering wanting/needing not sure which, eyes are getting a little older, a larger monitor. I've read about guys who are using a larger one just for their laptops. Is that clumsy to work with?

And, unlike Westerman, I can't just pick up and go. Well, I could, but I don't know how long I'd have. The old thing uses Chinese batteries that don't seem to have longevity and they're hardly available anymore that aren't other or off brands.

At any rate, go laptops. I'd love to have the affordability to own a Surface or such and be anywhere with it, but .... I also love my sofa and my place on it.

Thoughts on using a bigger monitor with a laptop? Again, probably out of my current cash flow, but not out of my considerations.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:05 AM   #8
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Monitors are fine for laptops i would recommend getting a wireless keyboard and mouse so you can keep the laptop shut. think of it as a docking station. you dont want to be typing on an open laptop plugged into an external monitor that is extremely clunky.

24 inch 1080p monitors are pretty cheap these days. it will cost you between 80 to 100 bucks for a 60hz screen and about 150-175 for a 120hz screen

i highly recommend 120hz screen its just so much smoother.
Old 03-15-2020, 07:52 AM   #9
ThePride87
Minors (Double A)

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Why have a laptop? A desktop in the large majority of cases will always be superior. If your only game is ootp it might matter less.

But generally speaking a desktop will always be cheaper then exact specced laptop will be. And laptop is always in danger from mechanical failures not related to computer hardware failure. Cases, hinges, spills, falls etc. The amount of plastic parts that break on cheap or budget laptops is staggering.

But everyone has different tastes. Better off with an easily upgraded small form factor desktop bought refurbished off of business lease.
That's too much of a broad statement. I've got a desktop from 2017 and a high-end laptop from this past summer....I'm always going to go with the laptop if we're talking performance. There's a lot that goes into what's better.
ThePride87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:43 AM   #10
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Not When your comparing 2 things that aren't purchased as of yet.

Yeah you could compare a 2500 MSI gaming laptop to an oem hp desktop but that's isn't an even comparison.

Desktop processor and desktop gpus are better then their equal laptop components. Always. It's fact.

We aren't talking about a lopsided i7 laptop vs a Celeron desktop. That doesn't even make sense to compare.
Old 03-16-2020, 06:46 PM   #11
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Get what fits your needs the best. Don't get something based on the game alone. You can always get the other one later.
You could get a laptop and gradually build a desktop. You will probably be more happy in the long run.
Its pretty easy to put a desktop together compared to 20 years ago. If you dont understand how to do something you can always google it or have a tech shop put it together. Not sure how much they would charge. Just dont let them talk you in to buying a bunch of add on software.
Whatever you do, don't get an All in One (AIO) desktop as your gaming computer.
It may be nice to not have to get a monitor but you will hate it when you want to add anything.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:05 PM   #12
Pine Tar
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballMan View Post
Whatever you do, don't get an All in One (AIO) desktop as your gaming computer.
It may be nice to not have to get a monitor but you will hate it when you want to add anything.
This exactly. The last all in one I had was a Commodore 64 (C-64). The only difference was it has the computer in the keyboard and not the monitor.

Pine Tar

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sometimes I wonder, whatever happened to all the people I gave directions to ..
Never take a sleeping pill and laxative at the same time.
Pine Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:57 PM   #13
rburgh
All Star Reserve

Lenovo IdeaPad Flex

Excellent display, fast processor, excellent battery life. I routinely use it for 6-8 hours off the charger, with heavy graphics displays.

My only beef with the computer is that it doesn't have a numeric keypad. But that's a tiny flaw in an otherwise excellent machine.
rburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:45 AM   #14
yno88
Minors (Double A)

I bought a refurb Dell E5530 laptop specifically for this year's OOTP so I can play from anywhere. $129.50 at newegg. I also think the most important spec is at least 8 Gb ram.

yno88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:52 AM   #15
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

I have always enjoyed using a surface for OOTP. Small, lightweight, and fast plus the pen is great to use for this type of game.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:43 AM   #16
Heggybhoy82
Bat Boy

Are these good enough specs to play ootp21.
Amd ryzen 5 3500 u processor.
8gb ram ddr4.
256gb SSD storage.
Windows 10
1080 pixels
Radeon Vega 8 graphic card with 8gb ram gddr4???
Thanks.
Heggybhoy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:10 PM   #17
Bobbyraz49
All Star Reserve

I just ordered a HDMI cable that I want to run from my laptop to my 50" TV in my music room. Just for a different view I guess.
Also looking into other PC games on STEAM. Was looking at a car racing game. Suggestions welcomed. And if you have one, how difficult is it to actually drive?
TY
Bobbyraz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #18
cheo25
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heggybhoy82 View Post
Are these good enough specs to play ootp21.
Amd ryzen 5 3500 u processor.
8gb ram ddr4.
256gb SSD storage.
Windows 10
1080 pixels
Radeon Vega 8 graphic card with 8gb ram gddr4???
Thanks.

I ordered an Asus almost identical to this three weeks ago. Runs fine. If I had it do over again, I might would have gotten the 12GB just for some other stuff. But I've had no issues with OOTP.
cheo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:17 PM   #19
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

MAC..Book...Pro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMRO View Post
Does anybody have a recommendation for a good laptop to run OOTP21 on? Also, does the game work well with a monitor attached to the laptop? I would like to have a larger monitor for when I’m playing at home.

And is there any case to be made for having a desktop instead? This is the only game I’ll play on it so I’m thinking a laptop will handle it fine, but I’m not the most computer savvy.

Thanks in advance.
They aren't cheap...but they're awesome, and mine is well worth it. I run Win 7 in Virtual Box when I need to, and smoke most winfdows laptops I've come across doing so. Plus, if you've got an iPhone, it's a match made in heaven.
It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance.—Thomas Sowell
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:38 PM   #20
itsmb8
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
They aren't cheap...but they're awesome, and mine is well worth it. I run Win 7 in Virtual Box when I need to, and smoke most winfdows laptops I've come across doing so. Plus, if you've got an iPhone, it's a match made in heaven.
Yep. I have an Early 2015 Macbook Pro that I play FM and OOTP with, and in OOTP I can simulate an entire MLB season in 5-10 minutes.

I can only imagine how much better the new models would be.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote