Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Sweet 16/Elite 8 discussion

Some tourney notes......

.....I think it has been proven how top heavy the ACC was this season. I wouldn't be surprised if any of the remaining 5 made the FInal 4. But the rest of the league were quickly ousted from the postseason. NCAA's & NIT (w/the exception of NCSt, who won by one point over Harvard).......

.....I also think the Big East was highly overrated. St. John's should have never been included. Marquette was never in it vs Murray St. Seton Hall ended up losing by 16 to Wofford. And Nova had a mudhole stomped into them by Purdue. I honestly don't get how the committee thought an 8-10 BE team was a better choice than a .500 ACC school or the 2nd place team from the Atl Sun or Southern..........

.......For the most part, the results of this tourney so far show the committee did it's job. This is the most chalk I've ever seen in a tourney. Only one double digit seed, Oregon, has advance to the Sweet 16. And Auburn at 5 is the lowest after them. This is not Cinderella's year......

.....It's also not the mid major's year either. The Zags & Houston are the only teams not from a Power 6 conference. And I'd hardly call Gonzaga a mid major program. The selection committee, again, did its job. But part of the magic of the tourney is the one shining moment. The interest in the tourney is going to wain if the little school from nowhere no longer can make it past one weekend........

......dook is 31-5. They could easily be 26-10 and getting ready for next year. They won on a buzzer beater @ FSU, benefitted from a choke job to end all choke jobs by Louisville, and have won 3 others when tips @ the buzzer by Wake Forest, UNC & UCF somehow didn't fall. The Devils are not as formidable as people think.......

.....The further LSU & Auburn advance, the more everyone surrounding the NCAA's sweat. Once the NCAA goes full bore in their investigations, it is very likely a lot of schools, including the Tigersx2, are going to have their programs scrutinized and possibly punished. And no one wants to see a title vacated.......
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
.....It's also not the mid major's year either. The Zags & Houston are the only teams not from a Power 6 conference. And I'd hardly call Gonzaga a mid major program. The selection committee, again, did its job. But part of the magic of the tourney is the one shining moment. The interest in the tourney is going to wain if the little school from nowhere no longer can make it past one weekend........

for me personally, I'd rather see the best or 2nd best team from a mid-major with 25-27 wins (albeit a possibly weak schedule) that lost their conference tourney (possibly to a buzzer beater or a fluke call), than the mediocre few games above .500 8th or 9th place team from a major conference who has already proven over the season there were many teams better than they were
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:06 PM   #3
Reed
All Star Starter

I think it is pretty balance so far with the 4 best (I Think) ACC schools, 4 best SEC, and 3 best Big 10 schools still in the tourney.
I think except for Kentucky, the SEC is the weakest of the 3 conferences but maybe the SEC will win bragging rights.
My favorite time of year, OOTP and the NCAA the same week.
It should be good.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #4
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
I think it is pretty balance so far with the 4 best (I Think) ACC schools, 4 best SEC, and 3 best Big 10 schools still in the tourney.
I think except for Kentucky, the SEC is the weakest of the 3 conferences but maybe the SEC will win bragging rights.
My favorite time of year, OOTP and the NCAA the same week.
It should be good.
I think the ACC has the most viable title contenders. The Big T1e4n is the deepest conference. The remaining 3 from the SEC can hang with anyone's top trio. The 12ish was a disappointment. Big East was mediocre. Pac12 was trash.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 03-29-2019, 10:49 PM   #5
madjac74
Minors (Double A)

Zion is the best at the chicken wing move...which is a "foul" on everyone else
madjac74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:59 AM   #6
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjac74 View Post
Zion is the best at the chicken wing move...which is a "foul" on everyone else
Just imagine. A guy does a swim move on someone's face and his opponent gets called for the foul. Then the refs go to the video to see if the one who committed the foul was the victim of a flagrant foul. Only I didn't need to imagine it. It actually happened last night.

How do you say a player was fouled, yet, he also may have committed a flagrant? Don't you think if you saw someone that did something worthy of stopping play to watch the replay, that they would have been at minimum been called for a personal foul?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 03-30-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
Reed
All Star Starter

Duke has been getting a lot of breaks in these games. Kentucky looks to have the best road to the finals since Auburn’s best player got hurt. I do not care for N. Carolina but I thought R. Williams showed a lot of “class” in his post game comments. He did not blame the players for the loss, said he got out coached and poorly communicated with the team on what he wanted them to do. Also expressed concern for the Auburn player.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Duke has been getting a lot of breaks in these games. Kentucky looks to have the best road to the finals since Auburn’s best player got hurt. I do not care for N. Carolina but I thought R. Williams showed a lot of “class” in his post game comments. He did not blame the players for the loss, said he got out coached and poorly communicated with the team on what he wanted them to do. Also expressed concern for the Auburn player.
I wasn't happy with how Roy coached. But frankly, I don't think he could have said anything that would have changed the outcome. Auburn is just super hot right now. They could placekick a couple 3pters @ this point.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 03-30-2019, 09:40 PM   #9
madjac74
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Just imagine. A guy does a swim move on someone's face and his opponent gets called for the foul. Then the refs go to the video to see if the one who committed the foul was the victim of a flagrant foul. Only I didn't need to imagine it. It actually happened last night.

How do you say a player was fouled, yet, he also may have committed a flagrant? Don't you think if you saw someone that did something worthy of stopping play to watch the replay, that they would have been at minimum been called for a personal foul?
I remember that move. And lost my mind. There was nothing "incidental" about it. He will do well in the pros where that crap and 4 step drives are allowed.
madjac74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:39 AM   #10
Reed
All Star Starter

I guess I will root for Texas Tech. Not because I am a fan but I like underdogs and I do not think Auburn has a chance now with their main player injured. I do not like Duke or Kentucky but I think one of those two win it. Between the 2, Kentucky seems to have the easier path.
Old 03-31-2019, 08:04 AM   #11
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

My mantra...............

3rd fave team, dook
2nd fave team, UNC
Fave team, whoever is playing dook
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 03-31-2019, 12:15 PM   #12
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

the UVA-Purdue game was a great spectacle. Edwards was Curry-unreal, but second-half Guy matched him. At the end of regulation, Purdue choked again. Folks forget Edwards choked at the end of the Tennessee game when he had a chance to hit 3 fts and win the game. Instead, he only made 2 and forced OT where the Vols proved themselves the bigger chokers. No player made big FTs in that game.

Last night, Clyne (he of the hotting shooting against Tennessee) had a chance to put the game away with a second FT, but missed. That set up UVA for an amazing end sequence where all five guys contributed. In OT, Edwards missed a shot and UVA closed them out with 4 FTs while Edwards threw a pass into the stands.

Edwards tried (and failed) to take over the game with long shots, but left his team with no Plan B when the game was on the line and he could not get open.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:09 PM   #13
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Now Zion can start working on getting ready to play real basketball.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 10:42 PM   #14
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

I am happy with the results from a fan perspective. For me having Duke, Kentucky and North Carolina eliminated makes the final four exciting.

Auburn has a cool story with their main star being injured.

I will root for Virginia as they have recovered from being the first team in history that lost to a 16 seed.

Michigan State I can't say I have anything against them, but I will still hope for their demise.

Texas Tech is in the big 12 and is a very talented team but the big 12 gets a lot of press so yeah not pulling for them.
knightdreamer2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:34 AM   #15
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k View Post

Michigan State I can't say I have anything against them, but I will still hope for their demise.
Here's something:

Larry Nassar.

I will NEVER look favorably on that school again.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #16
Reed
All Star Starter

Best elite 8 I can remember. All the game could have been won by either team with a minute to go. Final four will not be able to top those games. I am glad that schools from 4 different conferences are represented. I do not have a favorite but I get tired seeing the same teams in the finals so for me, this is a very good final four.
Most of my picks fell flat so I better not try to pick a winner.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #17
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Here's your dose of irony for the day. A dook blogger complaining that Zion was ill treated by the refs & was the victim of flopping. He should be fired by the internet.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 04-01-2019, 11:47 PM   #18
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
Here's something:

Larry Nassar.

I will NEVER look favorably on that school again.
Yeah, I don't like how they handled that whole event. I am not rooting for Michigan State, but I don't have the hatred for the team. Maybe just the university.

I'm going for Virginia.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:39 AM   #19
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, probably VA, but anybody but MSU is good with me. I live in Michigan now, and most of the people I know are U of M fans, so I was never that into them even before the Nassar skeevyness.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 12:10 AM   #20
knightdreamer2k
Major Leagues

I am glad that Virginia won. I think the redemption story of being humiliated as a 1 seed by a 16 is great. Looking back Virginia was arguably the best team this past season. They had 2 losses to Duke, and one to Florida State, very good resume. Virginia never looked dominating but they were a consistently good team.