Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:39 PM   #1
Kinsella19
Minors (Double A)

Final thoughts on the beta before official release

After playing this beta pretty much nonstop since I received it on monday, I thought I'd like to make a topic discussing my final thoughts on the beta version of the game.

Pros

-Despite not initially being a big fan of the new UI, it has grown on me quite a bit. I still prefer the old version but there's nothing wrong with a little change every once in a while.

-The new random debut mode is an absurd amount of fun. Starting back in 1942 and running through decades upon decades has been my main go to for the majority of my playing time so far. Part of me wishes that everybody started at age 18 in the beginning of your save file but it's really not a big deal and everybody might not agree with me.

-The new tactics system. The system is far improved from last year. It finally feels like you have control over the type of role you want your player to play. Great improvement on this one guys.

-Haven't been able to start up my online leagues yet (waiting for official release) but just the simple fact that they're in the game is a blessing in itself.

-Little improvements like showing a little star for players that have won a championship in the past are a great addition to the game. Especially when you see the level of detail you guys put into it (Like having CHL championships for current NHL players).

Cons or Bugs

-It's been said already in other threads but there absolutely does need to be a dark background option in the game. Playing this game late at night (even with f.lux on) is BRUTAL. Feels like my eyeballs have been slowly burning away for the last three nights.

-The fact that we are currently unable to set our players training is a pretty HUGE bug that absolutely has to be fixed by the official release. It's kind of ruining the standard game for me at the moment and is one of the reasons why I'm sticking mostly to random debut atm.

-The game still crashes at random times, which is a real pain in the ass and caused me to give up on one of my saved files.

-Still no option to force takeover an international team of your choice which I don't think should be that hard to implement in the game code (Minor complaint for most but a HUGE one for me because I've been trying to manage the United States U20 team since FHM3 and have been unable to do so)

-Sorting a draft list by stars and then returning to the same list after clicking on a player resets the whole list again. It was never like this in other FHM's and is really annoying.

-Hovering over a player's name to see a quick recap of their basic info and stats from the last two years seems to work only about 25% of the time. Extremely weird bug that needs to be fixed as well.

-Mat Barzal having less offensive potential than Brady Tkachuk (781 vs 795) and many others. LOL 781 potential for Barzal is a legitimate crime that should be tried in court

Overall, I love this new edition of the game and just by fixing many of the obvious bugs listed above (and throughout the forums) I think you guys can create something truly great here with FHM5.

Last edited by Kinsella19; 10-03-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Kinsella19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 12:27 PM   #2
Brob89
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella19 View Post

-Mat Barzal having less offensive potential than Brady Tkachuk (781 vs 795) and many others. LOL 781 potential for Barzal is a legitimate crime that should be tried in court
Shhhhhhh!!!!!!

I have Ottawa in my online league. Don't wreck my one bright spot!
:P
Brob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella19 View Post
-The game still crashes at random times, which is a real pain in the ass and caused me to give up on one of my saved files.
Could you be a bit more specific? What type of game, during simulating or when navigating on screens? Customized or standard game? Repeatable or not? Did you post this crashes somewhere and/or uploaded saves for us to look at?
Old 10-05-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
Could you be a bit more specific? What type of game, during simulating or when navigating on screens? Customized or standard game? Repeatable or not? Did you post this crashes somewhere and/or uploaded saves for us to look at?
I experienced 2 crashes so far.

1) played thru a regular season NHL game, game ended so i clicked end, then i clicked on the name of a player on the score sheet.

2) managing NHL game, enabled control AHL team, click on AHL lines, individual tactics and changed player role, clicked on lines then click on a player and it crashed

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
beezer2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer2434 View Post
I experienced 2 crashes so far.

1) played thru a regular season NHL game, game ended so i clicked end, then i clicked on the name of a player on the score sheet.

2) managing NHL game, enabled control AHL team, click on AHL lines, individual tactics and changed player role, clicked on lines then click on a player and it crashed

Can´t reproduce both. Do you have a save where it always happens?
Old 10-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #6
beezer2434
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
Can´t reproduce both. Do you have a save where it always happens?
Its only happened once for each so far, i tried again in the save but didnt crash

beezer2434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beezer2434 View Post
Its only happened once for each so far, i tried again in the save but didnt crash

Thanks, please let me know when you see it again.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:39 AM   #8
tk43
Minors (Triple A)

The game is after coming a long way since I started playing it with FHM 3, I play mostly modern day NHL so I give you my 5 cents to the conversation which i think you could improve on...

1., Goalie starts in the playoffs.... This is an absolute must change.
In my first year when in the playoffs I played against Colombus who started their 2 star backup over a 4.5 star starter (Korpiskalo over Bobrovsky) and in the Stanley cup final the LA Kings started with a 2 star Campbell over a 4.5 star Quick. If the teams tried them in net after going down 3-0 in the series to see what happens I wouldn't mind but to start the series is... unrealistic ( no injuries )

2., Whilst an amazing job was done with the Limited NTC it would be nice to know the list where a player accepts a trade to rather than clicking through every team to see if he is willing to waive it.

3a., the trade engine is a lot better than in previous years, but still needs work. Buffalo trading Dahlin after only 6 months for a 2nd round pick was a really bad trade that wouldn't happen ( watch them do it in real life now haha )
3b., there was little to no movement around the trade deadline, no buying and selling clubs at all, while in real life we have GM's issuing public letters to the fans that they are entering rebuild and trading away aging stars for future prospects/picks

4a., young stars signing their 2nd contract... In real life you have guys like Ehlers and Pastrnak signing 6 year deals for top dollar and in the game you have guys like Matthews, Laine, Provorov signing 2-3 year bridge contracts...
4b., Stars in their prime on the Free Agents not asking the highest possible deals... The only ingame example i would have is Erik Karlsson when after 1 year with the Sharks he returned to the Senators on a 6 year 9.9mil/year deal.. (must admit tho that this could be possible in real life as he likes Ottawa and might sign a "hometown" discount, but i think if he wanted to stay he would've signed the extension given to him )

5., clearing all lines in the offseason is a pain!!! it would be nice to be able just to move into next year with the lines saved instead of needing to put everyone back manually....

6., the sorting of players by stars resets to alphabetical after you view a player... tiny bit annoying :-)

Thanks to the Devs for a great game, I for one really like the new UI. Amazing job guys, keep up the great work!

Last edited by tk43; 10-06-2018 at 06:59 AM. Reason: added point 6.,
tk43 is offline   Reply With Quote