Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-05-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Cycles

Just had Mike Trout hit for the cycle on back to back days, May 30 and 31 1962. 8-11, with 11 RBI.

Last edited by David Watts; 11-05-2014 at 09:39 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:49 AM   #2
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Nice
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Great that he is a player that no one would question could do it.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Never seen that...in fact, I don't think I've ever seen the same player do it twice in one season, even. Although, yeah, if anybody could do it, Trout would be high on the list of those who could.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #5
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Big question. If you were a manager in the second game and Trout needed a single to complete the second cycle and he came up in the 8th inning with 1 out in a tied game with a man on second, would you have the balls to walk him as you probably should?

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 11-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #6
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

I had Frank Schulte do it 5 times in one season back in one of my replays...considering his best season you can see why he'd be the easiest player to accomplish this

BA- .300
2b - 30
3b - 21
HR - 21
K's - 71
BBs- 76

Never had a back to back one though
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Big question. If you were a manager in the second game and Trout needed a single to complete the second cycle and he came up in the 8th inning with 1 out in a tied game with a man on second, would you have the balls to walk him as you probably should?
Yes, no doubt. You don't pitch to a guy just because he has a chance to get a cycle.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
Dutch Alexander
All Star Reserve

Never understood cycles. What's the big deal? One of each of the 4 possible hits. OK, nice quirk, but so what? If a player goes 4 for 4 with a HR, a triple and two doubles it's a great game, nothing more. Trade in one double for a single, all of a sudden it makes headlines and we have a special name for it. That's just so incredibly random.

Imagine a player coming to bat in the 9th with the game already decided, needing a single to complete the cycle. If this player hits a line drive down the line into the corner, what should he do? Run to 2nd for a stand-up double or stop at first to "complete the cycle"? Pretty obvious what he should do off course. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody would actually stop at first to "complete the cycle". Imagine that, what a mockery that would be.
Dutch Alexander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #9
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Yes, no doubt. You don't pitch to a guy just because he has a chance to get a cycle.
Exactly. Only if it's late in the season are there are no pennant implications for either team should you even consider it...and even then, you should think twice.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:21 PM   #10
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If I noticed that he only needed a single for the cycle I'd probably walk him, yes. I have been known to IBB people 4 times after they've made one out just to end hitting streaks though, so maybe I'm not rational.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #11
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSeventiesGuy View Post
Exactly. Only if it's late in the season are there are no pennant implications for either team should you even consider it...and even then, you should think twice.
Or if his name is Derek Jeter and it's his last game ever and the Orioles don't need to win the game ...

**ducks head as Yankee fans start hurling things my way**
Old 11-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Trout has been a fascinating player during this random debut league. He has a career batting average in the .340 range and has put together some amazing seasons. That being said after about 2 or 3 seasons he started getting hurt and after a couple shortened seasons his injury rating was wrecked. He's now in his late 30's and managed to play the majority of last season healthy and he's 50+ games into 1962 without and injury(I know jinx). What has me baffled is the fact that is performance has never suffered due to all the injuries.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Alexander View Post
Never understood cycles. What's the big deal? One of each of the 4 possible hits. OK, nice quirk, but so what? If a player goes 4 for 4 with a HR, a triple and two doubles it's a great game, nothing more. Trade in one double for a single, all of a sudden it makes headlines and we have a special name for it. That's just so incredibly random.

Imagine a player coming to bat in the 9th with the game already decided, needing a single to complete the cycle. If this player hits a line drive down the line into the corner, what should he do? Run to 2nd for a stand-up double or stop at first to "complete the cycle"? Pretty obvious what he should do off course. I wouldn't be surprised if somebody would actually stop at first to "complete the cycle". Imagine that, what a mockery that would be.
That has happened. I'll try to find the link.

Edit;

Can't find one. I was sure that a player needed a double, hit a gapper such that he could have strolled to 3B but stopped at 2B.

RichW

#stopthestupid

Last edited by RchW; 11-07-2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: No link
Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 PM   #14
thehatfield
All Star Starter

Quote:
That has happened. I'll try to find the link.
I know there's a Sam Fuld story but he did end up going to second base for the double.

SBC - Western Suburbs Magpies

no pressure no problem

thehatfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #15
thehatfield
All Star Starter

This is an incredibly naïve question for someone who has watched baseball for 30 years, but say a game is tied, you need a single, double, or triple to complete the cycle, and instead you hit a 2-run walk-off home run. The winning run will score ahead of you, but could you stop at a base to complete your cycle?

no pressure no problem

Last edited by thehatfield; 11-07-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:05 PM   #16
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Cowboy View Post
This is an incredibly naïve question for someone who has watched baseball for 30 years, but say a game is tied, you need some sort of base hit to complete the cycle, and instead you hit a 2-run walk-off home run. The winning run will score ahead of you, but could you stop at a base to complete your cycle?
Yes. Robin Ventura hit a walk-off grand slam in the playoffs and was mobbed by teammates after rounding first and was only credited with a single.

Grand Slam Single - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 11-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #17
thehatfield
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Yes. Robin Ventura hit a walk-off grand slam in the playoffs and was mobbed by teammates after rounding first and was only credited with a single.

Grand Slam Single - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Excellent, thanks! I bet someone like A-Rod would stop if it meant getting his cycle.

no pressure no problem

Old 11-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #18
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Heck yes.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:01 PM   #19
Number4
Major Leagues

I wouldn't. Waste of 3 perfectly good pitches. Just hit him, to add insult to injury (and maybe injury to injury).
Number4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:21 PM   #20
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Heck yes.
I agree with you and the others but I'm also sure that it would generate discussion by fans players and media if it happened.

Bunting for a hit late in a possible no-hitter generates a lot of talk. I know there are posters here, players, and media who feel it is improper/bad form.

RichW

#stopthestupid