Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Never slide into first

Bill Nye says so:

Bill Nye says Eric Hosmer messed up by sliding into first and MLB.com's Statcast agrees | MLB.com

I've been appalled and frustrated at how people don't understand this, going back almost a half-century to my HS years. I remember arguing with a friend (who went on to be a HS coach) that you should never slide into first.

"But you want to get there faster! So you slide, like when you steal second," he said.

"You slide into second because you can't overrun it, not because you can get there faster. If you could overrun second, you'd never slide."

Thank you, again Science Guy.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Splitter24
Hall Of Famer

Well, not never. On that play, heck no. On 90% of the plays I see where a guy is diving into first base, heck no.

But if you see the first baseman go airborne or pulled off the bag toward the grass, then hit the deck to eliminate the sweep tag.

Currently Reading: The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen

"Well, the game is afoot. I’ll take anal bum cover for 7,000." - "Sean Connery" SNL Celebrity Jeopardy

R.I.P. Tommy Holmes 1917-2008
Splitter24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
Airdrop01
All Star Starter

That was huge.

But, in a tag play (game 6 for example Escobar slid by tag attempt by Belt) it is often the right play.
Airdrop01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

On a tag like that play sliding is the best option.

People mess up sliding into first base by sliding onto the bag like they do when going to second. When sliding into first you should slide with your foot just to the right (foul territory side) of the bag that way you aren't jamming your foot into the bag. then as you are sliding you make contact with your leg, torso, or hands/arm. At least that's what I was taught playing LL and HS. Never once was I ever told sliding was faster than running through that just seems silly.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:39 PM   #5
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Sliding into first will never get you there faster. A well timed dive, if low enough, might get you there a fraction of a second faster.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
If I was a manager I would fine players 5k for every head first slide period. Sliding head first is not the proper way to EVER slide and leads to a higher increased chance of hand, finger and wrist injuries.
In high school baseball we got laps around the field for the transgression of the head first slide.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 06:34 PM   #7
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
If I was a manager I would fine players 5k for every head first slide period. Sliding head first is not the proper way to EVER slide and leads to a higher increased chance of hand, finger and wrist injuries.
In high school baseball we got laps around the field for the transgression of the head first slide.
Did you ever play baseball? I am sure you have. Sliding head first is certainly not something any runner looks forward to doing. I know it was something I've always tried to avoid doing. But on occasion a head first dive can beat a throw. Like when stealing bases.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:03 PM   #8
Goody
Hall Of Famer

I think it depends, ultimately, on whether the player is better at diving/sliding or striding. (injury chance being taken out of the factor).

In the WS game 7 example, he didn't have very good timing and he drug his body across the dirt.

Myself, I'm a long legged guy for my height and can cover more ground striding forward than I can diving. Everyone's different.

Last edited by Goody; 11-01-2014 at 08:06 PM.
Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #9
MarkInCincy
All Star Reserve

In 20 years of playing baseball and another 15 of softball the only times I have ever slid feet first is to break up a double play. Personally I can pull my arm/hand away from a tag easier and better than my foot/leg and it was just a personal preference
Old 11-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #10
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Sliding into first will never get you there faster. A well timed dive, if low enough, might get you there a fraction of a second faster.
Bill Nye proved that you are wrong. It is impossible for what you assert to be true.

I omitted the 'avoid a tag' situation because it is a special situation in which the force is off and the play has turned into an unusual situation.

I'm glad this also morphed into the head first slide debate, another overused tactic that is worthy of discussion. Unlike the slide into first, however, I'm not aware of a physics argument which can prove or disprove either side of this debate.

I think the key to sliding fast is to begin the slide as close as possible to the base, so it is possible head first might get you there faster. However, grabbing the base to hang on is likely harder to do that than with a professional hook slide.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
Leo_The_Lip
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra7c7er View Post
Never once was I ever told sliding was faster than running through that just seems silly.
See Ragnar's post for the type of person I'm talking about.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
Carlton
Hall Of Famer

As an aside

When sliding into second, I believe Bob Bescher the great deadball speedster perfected the hook slide.

He would look to see if the ball was coming high or low from the C. If low he would hook to the outside of the bag, if high the inside.

Amazingly, even the speedsters I see in MLB nowadays will slide to the center of the bag no matter what, and many go head first.
Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_The_Lip View Post
Bill Nye proved that you are wrong. It is impossible for what you assert to be true.

I omitted the 'avoid a tag' situation because it is a special situation in which the force is off and the play has turned into an unusual situation.

I'm glad this also morphed into the head first slide debate, another overused tactic that is worthy of discussion. Unlike the slide into first, however, I'm not aware of a physics argument which can prove or disprove either side of this debate.

I think the key to sliding fast is to begin the slide as close as possible to the base, so it is possible head first might get you there faster. However, grabbing the base to hang on is likely harder to do that than with a professional hook slide.
I said "might" get you there a fraction of a second faster depending on the dive. The problem is the base is on the ground and it might take a bit longer just to fall. I have never slid into first. Chances are I am not getting there any quicker unless the base was waist high.

My main point is a head first dive is faster than a feet first slide. At least in my opinion, through my experience, it is. That could be a direct result of me not being that good at feet first sliding.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:07 PM   #14
Faroo6
Hall Of Famer

Sports Science did this.
Sport Science: Run Or Slide? - ESPN Video - ESPN

They don't mention it in the video, but you can see when they overlay the runners that a perfectly timed head first dive gets you to the base faster although not by much, talking thousandths of a second. However, the risk associated with it and the room for error makes it pretty dumb to go head first. You should only dive if the first baseman leaves the bag and is attempting a tag.
Faroo6 is offline   Reply With Quote