Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:19 AM   #1
Penfold75
Major Leagues

New Player

I have just bought OOTP Baseball 15. Love the game and getting really immersed in fixing the Mets.

However is there a way to stop the game auto saving when I exit the game. I like to be able to chose whether to save when I exit or not. Just a small issue but I hate it when games don't give you the choice.
Penfold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #2
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfold75 View Post
I have just bought OOTP Baseball 15. Love the game and getting really immersed in fixing the Mets.

However is there a way to stop the game auto saving when I exit the game. I like to be able to chose whether to save when I exit or not. Just a small issue but I hate it when games don't give you the choice.
No, there is no way to stop that. However, you can force quit out of the game to avoid the save, but that risks the chance of corrupting files.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
rpriske
Hall Of Famer

There are no do-overs in baseball.

````````````````````````````````````````

rpriske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #4
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Don't ever force-quit unless you really want to lose your league.

The game auto-saves. A side effect of that is that you can't quit without saving and so escape any game results that you don't like.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Eh, I've done it quite a few times with no adverse effects. It's certainly possible to mess up your league by doing it, but it's a risk, not a certainty. I'd say just make sure you back up your files regularly, and it shouldn't be a big deal if you force quit a couple times.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
wuttang
Minors (Double A)

i'm also a noob, so I backup my game saves multiple times. or just copy the save directory again and again.
I do this before I do or change anything major.
Saved me the hassle of redoing my minor league rosters and other stuff.
wuttang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #7
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
Eh, I've done it quite a few times with no adverse effects. It's certainly possible to mess up your league by doing it, but it's a risk, not a certainty. I'd say just make sure you back up your files regularly, and it shouldn't be a big deal if you force quit a couple times.
No offense, but that's very bad advice.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm just imparting my experiences. I don't make a habit out of it, nor am I recommending it, but for various reasons over the years, I've felt the need to force quit out of the game from time to time. I am fully aware of the potential for corruption, but I've never had a league get lost because of it. And even if I did, I'm diligent with my backups, so I'd simply lose a day, maybe a week tops if I was really behind on it.

As I said, it's a risk, not a certainty. I would never recommend that someone force quit out of the game over and over, obviously, but you made it sound like doing it once or twice is certain to ruin your league. All I was saying is it's not a certainty, just a possibility.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #9
david limbaugh
All Star Reserve

Save often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuttang View Post
i'm also a noob, so I backup my game saves multiple times. or just copy the save directory again and again.
I do this before I do or change anything major.
Saved me the hassle of redoing my minor league rosters and other stuff.
Been playing since OOTP4 but great advice. I have always saved onto other drives and in other places before making changes and I archive every so often so I can go back in time if something really bad happens....
Old 07-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #10
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:

good luck in fixing the mets. I'm also (somewhat) new to the game & currently doing the same

gotta take the good w/the bad though. i manage every game & missed the playoffs by just a few games last year. prob could have made it w/ a few re-starts, but imagine that I would always have that in the back of mind & it wouldn't have felt legit. such a long season, it's no sure thing anyways. was pretty happy w/my finish.

cant say it hasn't crossed my mind a few times though... just lost nick franklin to a fractured foot (4-5 weeks initially) immediately after him tearing up the league for the 1st month of season & easily winning batter of the month...& there is currently no one to replace his bat with.

same thing happened last year .
IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:37 PM   #11
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanIachimoe View Post
good luck in fixing the mets. I'm also (somewhat) new to the game & currently doing the same

gotta take the good w/the bad though. i manage every game & missed the playoffs by just a few games last year. prob could have made it w/ a few re-starts, but imagine that I would always have that in the back of mind & it wouldn't have felt legit. such a long season, it's no sure thing anyways. was pretty happy w/my finish.

cant say it hasn't crossed my mind a few times though... just lost nick franklin to a fractured foot (4-5 weeks initially) immediately after him tearing up the league for the 1st month of season & easily winning batter of the month...& there is currently no one to replace his bat with.

same thing happened last year .
Just a heads up to you new guys, if its something like a long term injury to your star or you favorite player that makes you want to force quit OOTP, there's no need to do that. Turn on commisioner mode, go into the player editor, and you can change injuries or suspensions or whatever.

I'm not advocating doing that, but it is possible and easy.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #12
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

There is no fixing the Mets. Quit right now and play fictional.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:25 PM   #13
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:

The game auto-saves. A side effect of that is that you can't quit without saving and so escape any game results that you don't like.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm just imparting my experiences. I don't make a habit out of it, nor am I recommending it, but for various reasons over the years, I've felt the need to force quit out of the game from time to time. I am fully aware of the potential for corruption, but I've never had a league get lost because of it. And even if I did, I'm diligent with my backups, so I'd simply lose a day, maybe a week tops if I was really behind on it.

As I said, it's a risk, not a certainty. I would never recommend that someone force quit out of the game over and over, obviously, but you made it sound like doing it once or twice is certain to ruin your league. All I was saying is it's not a certainty, just a possibility.
When we had a discussion in beta on the autosave on quit feature, Markus himself suggested closing the game from the task manager (force-quit) if a quit without a save was necessary. So Fyrestorm's suggesting that as well is not exactly bad advice. I've done it myself with no negative effects.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 07-03-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #14
Penfold75
Major Leagues

It's not a problem was just wondering if it was possible. I'm finally managing to repair some of the damage I did by trading David Wright in season 2. Saved me a load of cash and I got a haul of prospects just most of them turned out to be pretty rubbish. Fixing the problem has been more fun and has taught me more about the game. Cheers for the replies :-)

OOTP Baseball really gets you into the game I am quite happily losing hours.......ok days in my MLB world.

Good to see you over here in OOTP baseball land Lukas :-)

Last edited by Penfold75; 07-04-2014 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #15
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
When we had a discussion in beta on the autosave on quit feature, Markus himself suggested closing the game from the task manager (force-quit) if a quit without a save was necessary. So Fyrestorm's suggesting that as well is not exactly bad advice. I've done it myself with no negative effects.
The only issue I see with it is that you're effectively crashing the game, so there's always going to be the potential side effects that come along with a crash, forced or not.

FWIW, I've had plenty of un-forced crashes before, and only one actually messed anything up - but that one corrupted my league beyond repair. It's how I learned the importance of backing up your files first-hand.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:42 AM   #16
Penfold75
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
There is no fixing the Mets. Quit right now and play fictional.
Isn't fixing the Mets and having them playing well as fictional as baseball gets

What I really need is a time machine to bring back Gooden, Strawberry and Piazza.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #17
captaincoop17
All Star Reserve

I'll force quit all the time on my Mac, have never had an issue.

I usually only do it for a couple reasons;

-Don't like generated draft pool
-Don't like international amateurs
-Don't like international free agents
-Make stats look prettier for my favorite guys (This one doesn't happen too often. But at the end of a season, if a guy has a 4.03 ERA, than has a bad start ballooning it to like 4.25, I'll force quit and have him "re-do" the start, hoping the ERA will get to 3.99 or lower)
captaincoop17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #18
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Isn't fixing the Mets and having them playing well as fictional as baseball gets

What I really need is a time machine to bring back Gooden, Strawberry and Piazza.
And a truck to pack the snow in!

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #19
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I am torn all the time between starting a Mets replay from 1962 (trying to sign as many real Mets as possible while trying to be competitive at the same time) and doing any team from 1901, and in the end I will do nothing.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote