Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:13 AM   #1
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Love, love, love the ability to re-order columns now...

...so when are we going to be able to mess with the columns and their order on the individual player pages? That would be great.

I do have to say that right now I’ve got team pages set up so it feels like I’m looking at the stats in Baseball Weekly and that alone is fantastic. Having all of that data to work with is great but I really like being able to control what I see easily as well, and part of *that* in turn is ordering. It seems like a small thing but your eye naturally moves to different places on the screen or paper and just doing stuff like sticking runs before hits and wins and losses right before G, GS, CG, and ShO gives you a different perspective on the game than you get with the game’s default ordering.

Okay, that last sentence may be the nerdiest thing I wrote. Oh, who am I kidding? It’s probably not in the top 20 of nerdiest things I’ve written on this site...
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Syd Thrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #2
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

You know you can edit columns on the player page, right? If you go to the player page's batting stats or pitching stats subtabs, on the View dropdown menu, if you go to the edit button, you can control which stats items you can display there. And whatever the first row of the batting stats you have on your list will be used on the main player page.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
...so when are we going to be able to mess with the columns and their order on the individual player pages? That would be great.

I do have to say that right now I’ve got team pages set up so it feels like I’m looking at the stats in Baseball Weekly and that alone is fantastic. Having all of that data to work with is great but I really like being able to control what I see easily as well, and part of *that* in turn is ordering. It seems like a small thing but your eye naturally moves to different places on the screen or paper and just doing stuff like sticking runs before hits and wins and losses right before G, GS, CG, and ShO gives you a different perspective on the game than you get with the game’s default ordering.

Okay, that last sentence may be the nerdiest thing I wrote. Oh, who am I kidding? It’s probably not in the top 20 of nerdiest things I’ve written on this site...
You can but, not on the player card, it's not very intuitive. On my pitcher's page I have ERA and FIP side by side. Can't recall for sure but something like

edit>add row

opens the selection box. Then IIRC there is a scroll box on the right where you can drag\drop whatever category you want. At least that's how I think I did it Not where I can open game and try to repeat but if you mess around a bit I think you'll find it

And, of course, Matt answered as I was writing mine.

Last edited by Sweed; 03-21-2020 at 10:25 AM.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #4
jfb8300
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
You know you can edit columns on the player page, right? If you go to the player page's batting stats or pitching stats subtabs, on the View dropdown menu, if you go to the edit button, you can control which stats items you can display there. And whatever the first row of the batting stats you have on your list will be used on the main player page.

The Game Log section doesn't appear to update either.
jfb8300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 10:55 AM   #5
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
Oh wow! How long has this been in there? Just when you thought you knew all there was to know about OOTP...
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 03-21-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb8300 View Post
The Game Log section doesn't appear to update either.
The Game Log tracks different things, though. It'd be cool, I guess, to be able to update that (for older leagues, I like having even basic compiled stats like OBP and SLG obscured) but you can also just choose "Splits" and then all the fields will be the same.
Old 03-21-2020, 11:14 AM   #7
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Oh wow! How long has this been in there? Just when you thought you knew all there was to know about OOTP...
New in OOTP 21
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #8
ALB123
All Star Reserve

The new, customizable columns are awesome. I've already made a few custom views too. I love how OOTP 21 will remember that I was using one of my custom views even when I go off to do something else on a different screen and then come back to the player stats screen. Is there a way to be able to define which column it will default sort?

This is a Custom View, obviously. Whenever I go into my Pitching screen as seen above, it will default sort on G (Games). 99% of the time when I want to view my Pitching screen, custom view or not, I sort on POS (Position) so it will group my Starters, relievers & closers. I am constantly click on POS when I play OOTP. Worse still, I have to click on POS twice because it sorts alphabetically and I prefer the inverse so my Starters are listed on top.

I found a cosmetic issue. Not a huge deal. But, I applied a filter on Age & Games in my custom view. You see that OOTP applies asterisks to the fields that are filtering results and it mangles the letter A in Age.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:07 PM   #9
Ktulu
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
The new, customizable columns are awesome. I've already made a few custom views too. I love how OOTP 21 will remember that I was using one of my custom views even when I go off to do something else on a different screen and then come back to the player stats screen. Is there a way to be able to define which column it will default sort?
It should save the sort when you save the view, so right before you save your view sort by the column you want to be the default sorting.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #10
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Love, love, love the ability to re-order columns now...
This feature alone was worth the price of the game to me. Funny how that is with some folks and some features. People ballyhoo over the Ballpark Construction Kit but I would fork over the $36 and more merely for this capability (Hssst! Shut up, Bruce! Just you shut your mouth! ).

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:41 AM   #11
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
This feature alone was worth the price of the game to me.
Oh, man...I'm right there with ya! Especially since we can also create our own custom views with any info we want, this one feature is a substantial improvement. I was never a software developer with Microsoft Windows in mind, but I don't understand why we can't also adjust the sizes (widths) of each column. Shouldn't that be a standard capability? The first application to pop in my tiny brain is Windows Explorer and the width adjustments one can do if wanted. There are instances when the column heading(s) are truncated because of asterisks applied (Fig. 1) when using the extremely helpful Filter capability. 90% of OOTP'ers will probably never see those instances, however, so no real harm is done.

P.S. This new capability might actually be a bad thing, at least for me. I have literally spent hours upon hours managing my teams' rotations, lineups, and depth charts and it's all because I can now arrange data is my own crazy ways. In the last two days I've probably logged 8-10 hours in OOTP, maybe more, and I have advanced a total of 7 days in 1984. I use 6-Man rotations in my Rookie and Rookie+ leagues and I needed to see how a full turn through the rotations worked out for my Yankees and 6 other farm teams. Reports thus far seem very good. Big thanks to the Developers!!!

Figure 1. Notice the column for Age. Also, look at that width for the (G) column. That's too wide for Games. If only we could re-size that.

Last edited by ALB123; 03-22-2020 at 10:47 AM.
ALB123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #12
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALB123 View Post
I was never a software developer with Microsoft Windows in mind, but I don't understand why we can't also adjust the sizes (widths) of each column. Shouldn't that be a standard capability?
I'd spend another $36 for that capability. (Bruce, you really can't help yourself, can you? You just don't know when to pipe down, do you? )

- Bru

Old 03-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #13
DaBears
Major Leagues

The ability to reorder columns is phenomenal. Also love being able to see rest status in % number now.
DaBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #14
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
The ability to reorder columns is phenomenal. Also love being able to see rest status in % number now.
Yes! I'd spend another $36 for that fea . . . (smack! )

- Bru

Old 03-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #15
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Yes! I'd spend another $36 for that fea . . . (smack! )

I'm totally with you, Bruce!

Another cosmetic feature I wish they would implement (OOTP 22 perhaps?) would be to carefully go through and make the presentation of stats uniform. When looking at your team's stats, if you mouse-over a column heading you will be presented with a 'tooltip' that describes what that column represents rather than the abbreviation shown on the stats columns. Maybe I'm the only one who occasionally forgets what some of the abbreviations are - mainly the advanced statistics like you'd find on Pitching Stats 2 or Batting Stats 2 views. What I really, really wish could be implemented is the mouseover tooltips like Baseball-Reference.

It would be great if you received a tooltip when viewing a page like MLB > Statistics > Team Statistics. That's what I meant when I said making the stats uniform. The pages themselves don't need to look the same. That would be quite boring. But, if I'm going to get a tooltip on mouseover on one page of stats, I think I should also get it on a different page of stats.

Veterans of OOTP would probably think this type of stuff is unnecessary and maybe it is. But I'm still an OOTP Rookie and I forget many of the advanced sabermetrics - how they're calculated.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #16
robc
Hall Of Famer

Is there any way to customize what you see when playing out a game on the pitcher and batter windows? If playing without ratings it would be nice to see things like AB/HR, K/9IP, etc...
Old 03-23-2020, 02:47 PM   #17
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

Speaking of which, I'd loooove for the team reports to look like BBRef. On the other hand, the team reports haven't been updated for years (and frankly I very rarely look at them myself) so it's probably not a huge priority...
Old 03-23-2020, 04:35 PM   #18
ALB123
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Speaking of which, I'd loooove for the team reports to look like BBRef. On the other hand, the team reports haven't been updated for years (and frankly I very rarely look at them myself) so it's probably not a huge priority...
I don't think I know what you're talking about...I mean, I don't know what to visualize. I'm there so often. Could you send an example link?

I just saw my "Team Reports Home" for the first time. LOL I don't know how the heck I never saw this before. I think Team Reports Home looks pretty sweet! However, I absolutely do not like the Batting Leaders, Pitching Leaders or Fielding Leaders. Not one bit. Maybe if there were only 2 or 3 columns, so there is much more space between each. My Team's offense is terrible. I have one .300 hitter. Andre Dawson at .304 on Sept, 3, 1984. I just counted. His ugly mug is on my Batting Leaders page 16 times. Yes. 16 times.
Old 03-23-2020, 05:33 PM   #19
Craig Scarborough
All Star Reserve

I moved my columns around last night, but I noticed they don't save. Do I need to save them as a customized view?
Craig Scarborough is offline   Reply With Quote