Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 02-19-2019, 11:45 PM   #1
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Another one...$15K for a SP and a DH

Who would you get?

My rotation right now...

84 Orel Hershiser (loving this guy)
89 Curt Schilling
72 Dennis Martinez
88 Dizzy Dean
88 Bob Feller

My DH platoon

88 Harland Clift
79 Ross Youngs

My weakest defensive players I could move to DH to replace with someone

85 Roberto Alomar
84 Willie McCovey
77 Don Mattingly

I am really enjoying this game even though I am just getting to silver after five seasons in Bronze.

"When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self."

Last edited by enuttage; 02-20-2019 at 12:15 AM.
enuttage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:23 AM   #2
Echo127
Minors (Single A)

There are so many posts like this that really confuse me. You say you're just moving up to silver, but based on those players I'd expect your team to be better than mine. And I've been middle-of-the-pack Diamond for ages.
Echo127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:25 AM   #3
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo127 View Post
There are so many posts like this that really confuse me. You say you're just moving up to silver, but based on those players I'd expect your team to be better than mine. And I've been middle-of-the-pack Diamond for ages.
Yup. I've been winning over 100 games in Bronze for awhile. For whatever reasons that I do not pretend to understand, I was moved up to Silver for this season after 5 seasons in Bronze, where I crested 500 wins last season overall.

I lost a lot of early playoff series in my career.

FWIW, I just picked up Gary Peters for 7.5K. Have another $7.5K to play with. Or sell my underwhelming Bob Feller and go get a Ken Griffey Jr. card. I've always wanted a Ken Griffey Jr. card.

"When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine your own self."

Last edited by enuttage; 02-20-2019 at 12:26 AM.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:35 AM   #4
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Yeah. That is pretty crazy that your team is just coming up to silver with that talent.
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:36 AM   #5
joehart
All Star Starter

Larry Dierker should be better than any of your current pitchers and available at a really reasonable price (1500-2000).

Orel will eventually get hit for lots of HRs. You may want to invest into a few new SPs.

I don't believe in trying to stack up on HR hitters (only works in early leagues)...if you want to get a good 1B that hits for AVG look for Rod Carew (82).
He is not always available in the Auction House.
joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:15 AM   #6
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo127 View Post
My understanding is that players who bagan PT early after it’s release we’re being promoted easily.
Now it takes a lot to be promoted. You can easily win 100 games like my team did 4 seasons in a row but lose 3 out of 5 games and not get promoted.

I began PT on December 24th and am just now in my first season in silver.

My understanding is that far fewer teams are promoted now than when PT first began.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 05:15 AM   #7
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
My understanding is that players who bagan PT early after it’s release we’re being promoted easily.
Now it takes a lot to be promoted. You can easily win 100 games like my team did 4 seasons in a row but lose 3 out of 5 games and not get promoted.

I began PT on December 24th and am just now in my first season in silver.

My understanding is that far fewer teams are promoted now than when PT first began.
Everybody was dumped into bronze leagues after the first week in the entry pool, and I think 16 teams were promoted to silver level after that first bronze league season. You did not even have to make the playoffs, or have a winning record, to get promoted, and that pace kept more or less going until all levels were filled by week 5. Now that all levels were filled, promotions were reduced to (most of the time) four at each level. But if you were in the initial bunch, zooming up the ladder was not that hard.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #8
Thundercrack
All Star Reserve

Yes, much more difficult now to move up or down. You either have to get to the championship series or have a disaster of a season to do either
Thundercrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:33 AM   #9
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Continuing the OT convo, I think sticking around in Bronze longer actually allowed me to accumulate more points faster than I would've otherwise.

Gift horse and all that, as I'm pure F2P. Although I will eventually fork over a few bucks for some points, it's not in the budget this month.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:36 AM   #10
Canadaleaf
Minors (Double A)

I bought Orel Hershiser like 5 days ago for 1800pp. I am only in bronze and he was getting rocked like crazy. I just sold him last night and bought Larry Dieker instead. The only good thing Orel Hershiser brought me was I was able to sell him for for a profit of Perfect points!
Canadaleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:38 AM   #11
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehart View Post
Larry Dierker should be better than any of your current pitchers and available at a really reasonable price (1500-2000).

Orel will eventually get hit for lots of HRs. You may want to invest into a few new SPs.

I don't believe in trying to stack up on HR hitters (only works in early leagues)...if you want to get a good 1B that hits for AVG look for Rod Carew (82).
He is not always available in the Auction House.
Thanks, Joe.

I don't know what my problem is with not wanting to own the players "everyone else" does. And I see Dierker SO much around each of my seasons (also a sign he's a good deal).

Thanks for the tip on Hershiser. He has been so good for so long for me that I have an attachment now. But a ballooning HR total will certainly sway me back the other way.

I keep eyeing Tony Gwynn for my DH slot (or moving McCovey over to DH - neither of them are great fielders). Adding a little non-HR pop. Not sure.

I'll probably auction off a few and get back to being able to spend 10-12K on one more hitter, sticking to my lineup until one starts to clearly falter.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:43 AM   #12
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadaleaf View Post
I bought Orel Hershiser like 5 days ago for 1800pp. I am only in bronze and he was getting rocked like crazy. I just sold him last night and bought Larry Dieker instead. The only good thing Orel Hershiser brought me was I was able to sell him for for a profit of Perfect points!
Isn't that funny!? Over four full seasons, my OH is 61-32, 3.71, 1.25, .9 HR/9, 2.4 BB/9, 7.2 K/9. Steady.

Kyle Freeland put up similar numbers for me, but started to regress to the mean (I guess?) in the last couple seasons I used him. I still have him on my reserve roster, just in case.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #13
mess
Minors (Triple A)

Record Breaker Carlos Delgado vs RHP and Live JD Martinez vs LHP is my current DH platoon setup and is working wonders for me.

You could probably buy both for under 8k combined.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:31 AM   #14
enuttage
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mess View Post
Record Breaker Carlos Delgado vs RHP and Live JD Martinez vs LHP is my current DH platoon setup and is working wonders for me.

You could probably buy both for under 8k combined.
Thank you! Good advice and on a shoestring.