Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 12-18-2018, 10:58 PM   #21
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
It sounds like the idea behind this is simply to encourage people to play OOTP, not to give points for whooping up on the AI.

It that's true then I wish they'd open this up to all kinds of solo play. I build solo leagues to be challenging because otherwise I'd be bored, but I don't like the restrictiveness of Challenge mode. Especially having to stop play every week. For a GM only player, that's like doing a cross country drive and having to stop at a red light every 100 ft.
Unfortunately, two things. One, packs are tied to achievements, which are tied to Challenge Mode. Two, without Challenge Mode on, you could mod your league to your heart's content, and give yourself nine of the best power hitters in history, while cranking the home run modifiers, and carve your way through the AI to rake in the achievements. It'd kind of defeat the purpose.

Also, man, we play the game vastly different. Even when I play GM-only, I have to see the results of every game. I feel like it helps me get a better feel for what changes need to be made and when. The thought of missing a week of games in one go is horrifying to me!

Last edited by Fyrestorm3; 12-18-2018 at 11:05 PM.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:49 AM   #22
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
One, packs are tied to achievements, which are tied to Challenge Mode.
If you're talking about Steam Achievements, they are only applicable to Steam users.

If you're talking about those little in-game OOTP only achievements and season scores, you get them in non-challenge play too.

Quote:
Two, without Challenge Mode on, you could mod your league to your heart's content, and give yourself nine of the best power hitters in history, while cranking the home run modifiers, and carve your way through the AI to rake in the achievements. It'd kind of defeat the purpose.
That was my worry in even in Challenge Mode only. But the cool-off period seems to prevent that. It seems to me that the only way you're going to earn packs reliably is if you enjoy playing your league enough to be in there all the time. People aren't going to play a cheese league for very long.

Quote:
Also, man, we play the game vastly different. Even when I play GM-only, I have to see the results of every game. I feel like it helps me get a better feel for what changes need to be made and when. The thought of missing a week of games in one go is horrifying to me!
I thought you played that way. I remember you saying something in another discussion and thinking, boy, he'd hate the aloof GM only style that I play as.

Me, I've been playing OOTP for at least 15 years, and until 2015 or so you had no choice but to play as both GM and manager. So I've done plenty of that too. As time has gone by, I've shifted away from the day to day stuff because I like the player development side and watching careers play out. If I'm tied up in details then I won't get far enough to really get the feel of that.

My video game baseball 'career' has almost exactly mirrored that of a real career. I was very good at the arcadey baseball games until I was in my 30's. Then I got out of them and into in game management. Finally I'm here up in the front office as a 'consultant'. Next I'll be playing some kind of owner mode. I wonder if that's the pattern most people follow?

I do miss knowing all of the players like I used to though. I still know my own players pretty well, but not the opposition players unless they used to play for me. There's always a sacrifice
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:29 AM   #23
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
If you're talking about those little in-game OOTP only achievements and season scores, you get them in non-challenge play too.
You know, I honestly wasn't sure about that after I typed it but I legitimately could not remember if I'd ever seen them outside Challenge Mode or not. Don't mind me, then.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #24
RoteLaterne
Major Leagues

Asking myself, wether you might get packs while playing Franchise Hockey Manager 5 in Challenge Mode?!

Last edited by RoteLaterne; 12-30-2018 at 08:44 AM.
RoteLaterne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #25
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteLaterne View Post
Asking myself, wether you might get packs while playing Franchise Hockey Manager 5 in Challenge Mode?!
Oh god no. I'd rather get packs from mowing a dev's lawn challenge.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #26
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

I ended up getting a free Gold pack yesterday. Pretty cool, although the gold was JD Martinez, who I already had, but at least he's worth well above 1K PP.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #27
Clavette
Major Leagues

Do you only receive packs for new achievements?

My 2 challenge mode seasons I have I haven't received a pack since starting one of them a few we weeks ago.

Today I started a challenge mode with the 27 yanks and got it in the first month with a new achievement
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:38 PM   #28
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavette View Post
Do you only receive packs for new achievements?

My 2 challenge mode seasons I have I haven't received a pack since starting one of them a few we weeks ago.

Today I started a challenge mode with the 27 yanks and got it in the first month with a new achievement
I think it's any achievement and it's just randomized when it pops. I just fire up the 27 Yanks every couple days and I'll usually get one during the first season or postseason.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:17 AM   #29
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoofBonser26 View Post
Playing Challenge Mode isn't meant to be a reliable way to get packs for PT, just a fun little bonus that ties the two together.
This. Also, we need to be extremely careful about the mechanics, as everything which may trigger pack awards outside of PT could potentially be hacked, hence we have a pretty low drop rate. And this won't be changed for OOTP 20.

Last edited by Markus Heinsohn; 12-31-2018 at 06:18 AM.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:15 PM   #30
wolfslice
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
This. Also, we need to be extremely careful about the mechanics, as everything which may trigger pack awards outside of PT could potentially be hacked, hence we have a pretty low drop rate. And this won't be changed for OOTP 20.
You might as well just get rid of the mechanic if hacking is such a concern. Honestly the rates are such garbage that it's pointless. I put in 60 hours to the main game (and enjoyed it) but only got 3 packs. I waited till the card pack mechanic was in effect before I even started, which was also pointless in hindsight. I think anyone who isn't a yes man would recognize that your rates are horseshxt. People here like to kiss ass and sugar coat things, but I'm telling you with all honesty: it's not in a good place, you have not balanced it well, and it's worthless to play if card packs are any sort of goal to you.

Last edited by wolfslice; 01-03-2019 at 03:24 PM.
wolfslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #31
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfslice View Post
You might as well just get rid of the mechanic if hacking is such a concern. Honestly the rates are such garbage that it's pointless. I put in 60 hours to the main game (and enjoyed it) but only got 3 packs. I waited till the card pack mechanic was in effect before I even started, which was also pointless in hindsight. I think anyone who isn't a yes man would recognize that your rates are horseshxt. People here like to kiss ass and sugar coat things, but I'm telling you with all honesty: it's not in a good place, you have not balanced it well, and it's worthless to play if card packs are any sort of goal to you.
It's a small bonus meant to reward people who play challenge mode. We certainly don't have to give out packs for playing challenge mode, so even a small drop rate is better than nothing.

But yes, if card packs are a goal for you, most likely playing hours and hours of challenge mode games is not a very good return for your time. You're better to go work a couple hours at a coffee shop and just buy points. But if you're playing challenge mode anyways, then the occasional pack is a nice bonus.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:13 PM   #32
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Or you could just realize that Challenge mode is it's own separate entity and was never meant to be a method to build your Perfect team.

It is a bonus for those who play both modes and not a compelling reason to play a mode you otherwise would not be interested in.

No where did I ever read the devs say how many packs or how quickly you could win packs in Challenge mode. If it does not live up to your expectations then it is on you because you set your own expectations.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 04:50 PM   #33
wolfslice
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
Or you could just realize that Challenge mode is it's own separate entity and was never meant to be a method to build your Perfect team.

It is a bonus for those who play both modes and not a compelling reason to play a mode you otherwise would not be interested in.

No where did I ever read the devs say how many packs or how quickly you could win packs in Challenge mode. If it does not live up to your expectations then it is on you because you set your own expectations.
Oh man, I just realized you're totally right. 3 packs in 60 hours is just fine. Guess I should just keep my mouth shut unless I agree with everything the dev team does, because they clearly understand reward balance better than a fan. Your input was REALLY helpful.
wolfslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #34
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
I think it's any achievement and it's just randomized when it pops. I just fire up the 27 Yanks every couple days and I'll usually get one during the first season or postseason.
I haven't gotten any packs from CM after the 3rd season since achievements don't happen as much. It seems to me that after 3 seasons of play, you are best to start over if you are playing CM for packs only.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #35
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Oh man, I just realized you're totally right. 3 packs in 60 hours is just fine. Guess I should just keep my mouth shut unless I agree with everything the dev team does, because they clearly understand reward balance better than a fan. Your input was REALLY helpful.
Yep, it is just fine.

Playing Challenge Mode is not supposed to award tons of packs like you want it to. It was always stated this way. Just quit playing it if you don't like it. Blaming the developers for not meeting your unrealistic expectations DESPITE what was always stated is absurd. Your whining is REALLY helpful.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:20 PM   #36
freedavebrown
Minors (Double A)

From my experience it’s about 2-3 packs a week and I’ve even gotten one gold pack. I think that’s plenty and a nice little bonus.
freedavebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #37
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
I agree, thanks Markus and team for a small bonus. Keeps interest up in perfect team which I assume is the goal - so goal met.

Last edited by mcdog512; 01-06-2019 at 03:04 PM.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:21 PM   #38
Echo127
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedavebrown View Post
From my experience it’s about 2-3 packs a week and I’ve even gotten one gold pack. I think that’s plenty and a nice little bonus.
How much challenge mode do you play? I've played through 2 challenge mode seasons since the PT update and havent seen a pack yet?
Echo127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:24 PM   #39
sharknut
All Star Reserve

I just got a silver pack for 4 HR's in an inning.

If I have multiple Perfect Teams, do I get to pick which team gets the pack?

ETA: Guess not, I went to log on and it went to the first team I created.

Last edited by sharknut; 01-06-2019 at 04:25 PM.
sharknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #40
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharknut View Post
I just got a silver pack for 4 HR's in an inning.

If I have multiple Perfect Teams, do I get to pick which team gets the pack?

ETA: Guess not, I went to log on and it went to the first team I created.
It's whoever you're logged into at the time.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote