Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum

Bug Reports Forum Have a bug to report? Please post here.

Old 03-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #1
siobhan
Minors (Single A)

World Templates creating too many similar names

Not sure how to better word the title...

I'm using a custom league (USBL Name Issues.lg on the FTP) and a custom world template in this example. (If it's an important issue, let me know if you'd like that uploaded too...) A custom database is also being used in this example, but I noticed it without a custom database during the beta, and I haven't tinkered with the particular nameset causing these issues, except to fix some broken name "stems" that should be there. In loading a league straight from the template, there is a strange issue that crops up with names from the Hispanic nameset. The screenshot below is a part of what I've noticed...basically, names like B.J., D.J., and (not pictured) R.J. are being used a lot more frequently for first names, and names with two or more words (like de Jesus in the example below) are being used a lot more frequently for last names. "Traditional" first names like Jose and Juan actually aren't being used at all, except for double names like Jose Antonio and Juan Carlos.

I'm speculating that spaces, periods, and/or, as DeMario is also being used a lot in the screenshot, names with multiple capital letters are messing up things. But who knows.

Hopefully, I've used the FTP correctly...never FTPed to the OOTP server before.
Attached Images

Last edited by siobhan; 03-26-2017 at 07:18 PM.
siobhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
siobhan
Minors (Single A)

New Build Has This Problem Too...

The league uploaded as "USBL Names With New Build.lg.zip" was entirely made with the newest build, as is the template I based it off of...the relative abundance of names with periods and/or spaces (and the complete lack of Hispanics named Jose and Juan) is still there.

I uploaded the template I used as well...it's "USBL v2.0.wtp" on the FTP with the saved games. Let me know if the database needs adding as well...although that said, there are only very minuscule difference in nameset 1 based on the original. The tendencies for Jose and Juan, for example, are the same as they are in the normal database. (Any Joses and Juans in the game are from a customized nameset 0, however.)

Anyway, I'm loving the new version, but still concerned about this.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:33 PM   #3
siobhan
Minors (Single A)

Noticing a major difference in .dat files...

Not to keep annoying the forum about this...but maybe I know what's going on. I may need to change the name of this post accordingly...

In a text editor, I looked at the names.dat file for a league that uses the same custom database, but is not based on a template, compared to the ones I've put on the FTP. If I need to put the non-template on the FTP, I'll do so.

Anyway, I've noticed that first and last names are seemingly being restricted to one nameset for the template leagues. (That there's a difference of one or two megabytes in the files is telling as well...) Because I (temporarily) have Juan and Jose in nameset 0 (testing purposes...), this is why there are no players named that in nameset 1. I have yet to put in initialed names in the edited nameset 0, which is why they show up frequently in nameset 1. Likewise with last names...Garcia and such shows up in nameset 0, and thus does not occur in nameset 1. Plus, because names are not yet fully spaced in nameset 0, de Jesus shows up frequently in nameset 1. (Got that? Good.)

Hopefully, this makes sense to more than just me.

If you need more info, I'll try to provide it.
Old 04-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
siobhan
Minors (Single A)

Not Just the Hispanic Set

Still there in the 18.3 build...and I noticed it's not just nameset 1 for the first time.

Based on how my database is, template leagues with my custom database currently has all the Australians named Seb. This is the only name in the Australian nameset that isn't being used in nameset 0 as well.

I'll provide an upload if necessary. (The league in the screenshot is completely made and templated through 18.3, BTW.)
Attached Images
Old 04-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

I don't think this is a normal bug as such. It looks to me like something has gotten corrupted in your files, presumably the name file.

Hopefully Matt will be able to take a look at the file and let you know for sure, but I really think that's the deal.

Possibly re-loading the names would help?

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

I see I'm not the only one with double flags for nations now.

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:46 PM   #7
siobhan
Minors (Single A)

Default Database Testing

Thanks for responding, Lukas. Hopefully, I didn't annoy you and your crew too much with four (now five) posts on the same thing. (Just trying to be detailed!)

My database files don't seem to be corrupted, since I can load them in a text editor, edit them freely, and have them be read by OOTP cleanly.

Plus, in testing with the default database, I've found it happening there too.

I tested with the default fictional setup, with full minors and, solely for this exercise, full feeders, and used the default database. As always, I saved it to a template and then reloaded it. The way I can tell there's a problem is that there's not a single Hispanic with a first name of Alex. That's significant because it's the second most common first name for nameset 1...but it's also used (albeit less frequently) in nameset 0. Jose is being used properly (the most common name), as is Juan (third most common)...but Alex is completely unused for Hispanic players. Plus, Canadian and Australian names are greatly limited due to so many also being in nameset 0.

This has been uploaded to the FTP as "Template with Default Database.lg.zip". Shouldn't need anything else this time...but again, let me know. Thanks in advance.