Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 10-15-2016, 07:11 PM   #41
DJP53916
Minors (Double A)

Intellivision Baseball and Intellivision World Series Baseball were my first games. Also Bases Loaded, RBI Baseball and Baseball Simulator 1.000 for NES. Ken Griffey, Jr., Tecmo Baseball and Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 for SNES.
DJP53916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:09 AM   #42
conception
All Star Starter

NES: RBI Baseball and Bases Loaded III. RBI was miles better, having the awesomeness of real players though I had BLIII for longer so probably played it more.
Sega: World Series Baseball. The first game where it really seemed like real baseball.
PC
Hardball 5 - my first love. Very customizable. Loads of fun. Later got Hardball 6, which took forever to come out and whose graphics model wasn't as satisfying for its era.
MVP 2005 - played this one the longest after Hardball. Great custom content, good graphics, and a satisfying enough gameplay experience.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:38 AM   #43
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

First I played was in 1978 or '79 and was a tabletop dice and player card game similar to APBA called 'Longball' from Ashburn Industries (still have the game). Myself and 3 other friends played hours and hours and I kept the stats, by hand, in a small notebook.

From there it was APBA (when Longball stopped putting out new cards).

Electronically it was the handheld Matell Baseball game (and their football game too).
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:45 AM   #44
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Pursue the Pennant(of course), Ken Griffey Jr. baseball, RBI Baseball, baseball stars(arcade)
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #45
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Not in exact order

Started with Cadeco Baseball (spinners) in early 70s
A friend of mine had Sports Illustrated Baseball, and we would play in the summer.
Decided would get my own copy, and found out it was out of print, but discovered APBA, and then the Master game, and fell in love.

Later graduated to the APBA computer game, including later Ernie Harwell version (best announcer ever in a computer sports game. Was like listening to the game on the radio.)

Later played numerous games on computer before finding OOTPB around version 3,

Earl Weaver Baseball
Tony LaRussa
Pursue the Pennant (Later Diamond Mine baseball)
Dyanasty League
High Heat
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:14 PM   #46
SandMan
Hall Of Famer

Younger years:

Ethan Allen Baseball (dad gave it to me)
APBA
Strat-o-matic
All star baseball
Penant Race
Statis Pro
Dave Koch Baseball (yes the ActionPc guy)
Extra Innings
Replay games
Big League Manager
... others that I can't remember - at one time I had 15 different games that I colected over the years and my wife made me get rid of them. Should have got rid of her instead.....

Later board games:
Pursue the Pennant

Computer:
Earl Weaver
Time Travel Baseball
Tony LaRussa
Lance Haffner Games
APBA for dos (miller Associate version)
APBA BBW version 3.5 through v 5.5
Strat-O-Matic
PTP
Diamond Mind v 8.0 - 9c and recently purchase v11
Design Depot - Dynasty Baseball
Action PC Baseball - recently purchased
Dombrov Baseball
SBS
OOTP since v2 - recently purchased OOTP17.
Microsoft Baseball
FPS Baseball
again there are more but I really can't remember all the games I played on the computer in the 1980's-90's but when I found a game I bought it.
SandMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #47
Cap
Hall Of Famer

We used to dream of playing baseball in a cow pasture! We played in the bottom of an old rock quarry with a great steaming pile of dung as home-plate, dead crows as bases, a frozen glob of vomit for a baseball and my littlest brother as the bat. When game was over we went home to our shoebox on side of road ate a handful of gravel and went to bed half an hour after we woke up....

I also played Old Time Baseball by Stormfront on the PC.

Cap
Attached Images
Old 11-02-2016, 02:10 PM   #48
PW MAX
Minors (Triple A)

Bases Loaded is the first game to come to mind. I always played as Jersey, and I can still remember most of the line-up. Ryder, Becker, Paste, Bay, Ford, Goro... after that, it gets a tad foggy. I can remember my two favorite pitchers too. Greco and Valez. Paste was the man, though. If he made contact, it more often than not went yard.

I remember playing RBI Baseball, I think it was called. I never owned that one, but I rented it A LOT. There was also a game I believe was called MLB Baseball, (I might be a tad fuzzy on the name, but it had all the major league teams, and I can still see the cover when I think about it.

Tecmo Baseball was another. I played a lot, but some of the names elude me at the moment. There was one, seems like it was Little League or something, that had bunny rabbits as the umpires. I played that one, and one that had a team called the Black Sox as well. Played that one, drawing a blank on titles at the moment.

Loved Hardball III on the Genesis. I played as an edit team I called Chi Town Heat, and I made what I thought was a pretty cool logo for them. Also loved the Super NES rendition of Bases Loaded, (Ryne Sandberg plays). Ryno is, was, and will in all likelihood continue to be my favorite player ever, so needless to say, I enjoyed that one.

I also had a lot of fun with the EA Sports Triple Play games when they came out on the Playstation, but I was a teenager by then.

Very good chance I'm leaving some out here, I've played a lot of baseball games in my time.

Thanksgiving Day, 1998 - October 28, 2011

Last edited by PW MAX; 11-02-2016 at 02:13 PM.
PW MAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 09:00 PM   #49
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

My first one was Microleague baseball. I actually took all the greatest teams and did a draft, made my own league, and tracked it when I was 11. This was the original one on Apple so I was able to edit teams etc. it was a blast.

Then I broke my arm for the summer when I turned 12, so I played a full 162 game season with HardBall (with the BLUE team, of course) and had a baseball scorebook that my dad had bought me, and I scored and statted the entire season.

Good times!

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #50
bleachercreature
Major Leagues

the correct question

The correct question would be which one didn't I play:

I played Pursue the Pennant, Tony LaRussa, Microleague, Intellevision, RBI, Griffey, I think Tecmo might have made a baseball game, I played some baseball game on the Tandy that might have just been called baseball. There are a bunch of others that I'm forgetting. Microsoft made a game for a few years and I almost forgot Strat.

Favorites: Loved Microleague. wasn't terribly realistic but I could input stats for the entire season in a few hours and with no pitcher fatigue I used guys like Norm Charlton and Rob Dibble as starters and racked up strike outs like crazy. Again, not terribly realistic but crazy fun at the time.

LaRussa was great: I loved the draft and the fact that in manager mode you could call the pitches. The game was made even better with Nick Keren's Ultimate Utilities.
bleachercreature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:26 PM   #51
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

I replayed the 1985 Strat-o-matic season from 1986-2002 and then bought stb2k3 and never played SOM again.
andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:16 AM   #52
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

What games did you play as a kid ? ---- Outside on the diamond as much as possible . Lived on a farm so some times it was throw the ball on the barn side and hitting the bounce back .

Strat-o-matic baseball ..Earl Weaver Baseball , APBA Baseball for windows, Classic Stats Pro Baseball -- In the mid 60's they had play results on cards (single double, triple, Home run , strikes , balls, and outs including doubleplays.... Played Atari games, NES games, Play station , ( still play NCAA Baseball ****think "O7 )

We had wrestling games - basketball games (I enjoyed Jeff Segrim and Billy Packers' computerized game ) HINT : could never beat Wilt's Kansas team unless I fouled him out. Too many football games college and pro ---- liked the early Maddon games for ability to draw and make plays .. when have the computer run the play in slow motion so you could see where blocks were missed or made AND ADJUST DESIGN.
Also played 1991 NFL Pro Football League by Micro Sports---- you had a playbook -- made a game plan for each game - including play cards........ John Elway Quarterback football game.
Thinking man Football ------- Thinking man Golf ------- Win, Place, Show (Horse Racing ) ------ Played Lemans Race Game but wile in the Army left the game in Alaska **** I MISS THAT GAME ***

As I commented my family played most of the Video game consoles. (I have an Atari console, NES , SNES, PS, PS2, Xbox 360 ... some of the games run on a cassette tape.

But they filled a lot of time ......

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:22 AM   #53
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

I had/have all three of the Season Ticket games ---- Baseball (OOTP3) --- Pro football --- and Pro Basketball .

I keep an old Windows 3.1 computer so I can play from time to time.

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 09:31 PM   #54
bama1959
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Strat-O-Matic

I have been playing Strat Baseball since 1969. In my opinion there is not a better baseball game out there. As for pro & NCAA football Action is the best.
bama1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #55
TwinsGuy11
Minors (Triple A)

My two Biggest ones were:

1. MVP 2005. My cousin played that non-stop! And not even like playing actual games. We would just start fantasy drafts with bad teams, build them up, and manage every game. Aside from Mass Effect, I've probably played that game more than any other game ever. It was a blast and I kept up with it somewhat on PC with MVPmods, but honestly it just didn't do it for me more than a month or two. I'm someone that struggles with living in the past, but I think it's best to leave those games and the memories back then.

2. MLB Showdown. I love that game so much. Same cousin and I would combine our card and do drafts and we'd each control about 9-10 teams in different conferences. We'd keep track of our stats and then play the World Series together at some point. I thought about taking the game out again, but man it's just too much of a hassle to keep track of it all and take out the cards every time. You don't realize how much time you have until you get a full time job, family, etc.

Other games I played:

2k (I always loved their pitching mechanics. Never great games but usually solid).

Triple Play, Ken Griffey, High Heat, etc.
TwinsGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 10:31 PM   #56
Steve Kuffrey
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP53916 View Post
Intellivision Baseball and Intellivision World Series Baseball were my first games. Also Bases Loaded, RBI Baseball and Baseball Simulator 1.000 for NES. Ken Griffey, Jr., Tecmo Baseball and Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 for SNES.
Oh wow!!! My wife and I used to play Intellivision Baseball when we were first married....I'd forgotten about it.
Baseball Maelstrom-Montreal Expos-2013 Tourney winner, 2014 WC Team
Sparky's League - Tampa Bay D'Rays
Epicenter Baseball League - Astros 2014
The CBL Rewind - Phillies '95
Steve Kuffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:46 AM   #57
crawdad5000
Major Leagues

I was an extreme strat-o-matic fan. Got my first board game in 1970 with the "miracle mets" 1969 cards. I played the board game with new cards every year until the late 80"s. Kept numerous spiral ring notebooks full of stats. My Dad taught me how to use a slide rule (before calculators) in 1970 to keep the stats. When I bought my first PC in 1992 I switched to their computer version and bought all the discs. Then FPS came out, had better tracking of stats and historical replay and then OOTP hit the market and I've never looked back. I do still have the hall of fame version of the strat-o-matic board game with updated cards. I get that out every once in a while. It's fun to roll the dice and hold the cards. I had their football and basketball board games for years, also. I'd probably still be playing their computer game today if I hadn't converted to MAC years ago. For some reason strat-o-matic is still only windows based.
crawdad5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:55 AM   #58
Keral
Bat Boy

I played electronic baseball. It's really enjoying for me. I love it so far.
Keral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:10 PM   #59
Basebrah
Minors (Double A)

Parker Brothers Charlie Brown BROWN'S ALL-STARS BASEBALL board game
Old 01-30-2017, 05:31 AM   #60
Keral
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basebrah View Post
Parker Brothers Charlie Brown BROWN'S ALL-STARS BASEBALL board game
wow! It's really great experience playing those board games.
Keral is offline   Reply With Quote