Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-26-2016, 12:15 AM   #41
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

I tried this today using 3D full screen on 3 display eyefinity 5922x1080 resolution and it was surprisingly cool. The field took up my whole center monitor.
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:46 AM   #42
battists
Hall Of Famer

So, as much as it pains me to be a clueless n00b on here, how the heck do you enable the 3D stuff? I'm playing out my first game, and I see the ball animation, but nothing else.

Or is it automatically enabled, and I just have some graphics issue going on?
Old 03-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #43
rworth88
Minors (Double A)

Only used 3d once, it's a cool addition, but it's every other aspect that makes the game great, I'll pop in the Show for my arcade fix, which I rarely get due to the limitless aspects of this masterpiece.

Good job devs..
rworth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:21 AM   #44
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post
So, as much as it pains me to be a clueless n00b on here, how the heck do you enable the 3D stuff? I'm playing out my first game, and I see the ball animation, but nothing else.

Or is it automatically enabled, and I just have some graphics issue going on?
You need to change the display to 3D at top of the screen once you are in the PBP mode.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 08:26 AM   #45
PhillieFever
Hall Of Famer

I am admitted graphics snob who loves "The Show" and in the beginning I was completely 1000% against any kind of rudimentary 3D graphics for fear it would "cheapen the game," you know make it seem as if the game itself was like say Mogul, and not the Triple A title it actually is. But, once I gave it a try, I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that it actually added to the immersion, big time, and that alone makes all of the effort to implement 3D worth it. Bravo guys, thank you for sticking to your vision and not listening to the doubters like myself
Old 03-26-2016, 09:53 AM   #46
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
You need to change the display to 3D at top of the screen once you are in the PBP mode.
Doh.
Old 03-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #47
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I've only played out a few games so far but they reminded me of this at 1st.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:22 AM   #48
Greek
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raginhood View Post
I was expecting a little more I guess. It doesn't look like real players or anything. Just some minature pawns running around in a frenzy. I was at least expecting in today's time MicroLeague baseball icons and movements. Though Front Page Sports Baseball would have been the cat's meow for me and the statistics of this game.

I guess I'll sit back and keep waiting but for some reason I don't think Marcus is going in that direction.
Hate it, I just play in the 3D park.
Greek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 02:46 PM   #49
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Obviously, I think using pawns is a wonderful idea.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:04 PM   #50
risp2out
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I've only played out a few games so far but they reminded me of this at 1st.
Make sure you click "allow ghost players" in the minor leagues.
risp2out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:50 PM   #51
Lincster
Bat Boy

I didn't think I would.....but what has drawn me in is...

1) It still lets you use your imagination.
2) The shadow of the ball is great and makes me feel like I heard a great crack of the bat...but rats its just a fly out.
3) Small stuff....defensive shift show up, so when your batter beats one by going the other way its great. Also the pawns aren't on rails...they move, tag up, take wide turns and so on.
4) Finally, the big one for me is to watch way more of my defense that I ever did before. It was hard for me to get immersed in my defensive play, but this really helps.

It will keep getting better, but I'd be fine with a couple of years of just improving pawn action.
Lincster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 03:56 PM   #52
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Obviously, I think using pawns is a wonderful idea.

You should get a promotion to RHP Right Honourable Pawn.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #53
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

One thing I DON'T like is how, if you have a different cap color than your jersey color and are using the custom colors, that the hat color smears down the pawn. I'd rather just have the top sphere be hat color and the lower body be jersey color. Anyone else?

Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #54
cdcool
Minors (Single A)

I don't. looks weird, would be better with Jersey's
I play in Webcast view
cdcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 06:34 AM   #55
louisvillec271
Minors (Triple A)

There's no good reason as to why a baseball simulation has any need for a visual representation of what's taking place on field. Anyone who has listened to a baseball game on the radio has had to envision what's taking place on the field. Listen to enough games, and envisioning what's taking place isn't difficult.

With that being said, if OOTP is going to go the route of incorporating a visual representation of on field action into the game, it should be done to a modern day standard. These "chess pawns" aren't a modern day standard. Sorry to everyone who likes them but let's call it like it is. These things are cheesy. I'd have been happy with having 3D ball flight in the webcast mode. For the second consecutive version of the feature, I will not play out one single full game in 3D mode.
louisvillec271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:34 AM   #56
VARoadstter
Minors (Triple A)

The pawns are adequate but I do hope they become tiny ball players at some point. I also liked the suggestion of having just a circle with the uniform number.

My biggest quibble is the ball flight after the player decides whether or not to send the runner. The ball flying back to the batter from the outfield is weird.
VARoadstter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #57
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvillec271 View Post
There's no good reason as to why a baseball simulation has any need for a visual representation of what's taking place on field. Anyone who has listened to a baseball game on the radio has had to envision what's taking place on the field. Listen to enough games, and envisioning what's taking place isn't difficult.

With that being said, if OOTP is going to go the route of incorporating a visual representation of on field action into the game, it should be done to a modern day standard. These "chess pawns" aren't a modern day standard. Sorry to everyone who likes them but let's call it like it is. These things are cheesy. I'd have been happy with having 3D ball flight in the webcast mode. For the second consecutive version of the feature, I will not play out one single full game in 3D mode.

This is a text sim, "modern day standard" wouldn't apply graphic wise for this game and I'm comfortable with that since text/stats no other game comes close to OOTP. In my opinion some customers are very happy with this first animated 3D player version while at the same time it is providing us with new features in all other aspects. And don't forget, different strokes for different folks, the more people you please the more sales you will get.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:27 AM   #58
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I was more expecting a 2d circle, ala FM's first on field engine than an actual 3d player. So yes, for the first effort of 3d players on the field these are just fine and went well past my expectations.

I think it's quite obvious these are placeholders for future 3d player models and will be improved on year to year. Too those that think they are "cheesy" or take away some OOTP's swagger because they aren't today's standard I guess there were two possible choices..

Don't release the 3d model until more realistic player models can be included.

Release 3d, as they have, for v17 and let us enjoy being a part of seeing this feature grow. Why would they hold it back when it is really impressive for a first go at trying 3d with movement?
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:36 AM   #59
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I like the new 3-D thing but I won't use it. I echo the sentiments of many others here that I much prefer the text pbp. Hopefully, text pbp will get some love in future versions.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:26 AM   #60
Pineywoods OOTPer
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
I like the new 3-D thing but I won't use it. I echo the sentiments of many others here that I much prefer the text pbp. Hopefully, text pbp will get some love in future versions.
I like a little of both, so my question begs is what do you want to see improve on the text pbp?

Senior Office Manager, 13th Circle of Heck.

Pineywoods OOTPer is offline   Reply With Quote