Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-24-2016, 09:33 AM   #1
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

Should Use of ghost players box be checked in settings ?

I am not clear on why this box should be checked or not checked and how using it or not using it affects the minors and game play. In the past with my OOTP 16 on line league, I tried using that box checked and not checked. I encountered issues with the "Jim Unknown" showing up in box scores and having to delete numerous "Jim Unknown" players from the league file. I realize if a certain minor league team is shorted on players at every position or having anywhere from 9 players up to 25 players that a "ghost" player will be used in the lineup. But that creates the Jim Unknown player in the box score issue..............does it not? How does a sim run if ghost players are not checked ? Does the sim stop until players are moved from other levels to fill open positions and roster limits? My intent is to require all GM's to closely monitor minor league team roster levels to ensure players at all positions to avoid the use of a ghost player. I have also seen the issue whereby I would activate the computer manager to "ask AI to setup complete minor league system" for a certain team due to low shortage of players at AAA or AA when it has too many players in A or rookie leagues (60 - 100) or more in many cases) and the result is a zero (no players) in A ball or a rookie level which in turn causes the need to use a ghost player at that level. So, what I am asking, is how can I in an online league properly apply league settings to avoid the Jim Unknown and ghost player useage ? Is there a mechanism in the game to set minimum/maximum limits at the minor league levels and maintain that level. I would set the AAA and AA levels at 35 players in the game and exports come in with 40 players (going over that max setting) by any number of GM's in the league. Is that just a guide or suggestion...?? Any way in game to prohibit going over the maximum setting ?
strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
rworth88
Minors (Double A)

I don't know about online leagues at all but I too don't like the ghost players, I will fill all minor leagues with fictional guys in a fictional league from the league functions option in the game settings which will fill rosters with fake dudes, in a real mlb game there is always enough players so I don't have that problem.
rworth88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i wouldn't use the "fill" function. that is creatng new fictional players of varying talent. this will potentially have repercussions in your league.

the jim unknowns are temporary... i don't think they show up in box scores. you'll only see them in the game during real-time sim. once the games have finished for that day, they will disappear from view.

use the ghost player option if no one in your league wants to deal with signing filler scrubs. i've had no problems using ghosts. development is fine, but minor league team records are terrible if that doesn't bother you.

turn it off if everyone wants people to have a full and filled minor leauge system, because they value the minors and pay attention to it.

i'm testing the new "fill based on ability" vs "top-down" setting in league settings-players i think or stats/AI. i have not looked at results yet. but, i'm guessing it will prevent the ai from filling lower minors with overqualified players.

imo, you are better off turning asst gm on to sign MiL free agents and such. i think with this new setting, it should work well.

in the past i always had ghost players turned on. i don't like signing 30 players to fill my minors and the asst gm wasn't doing anything because i had my roster locked from AI interference so that i could control lineups and such.... that also has a new tickbox in global settings i think... so, the ai should fill that crap now for me.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote