Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 09-27-2003, 06:25 PM   #1
TRay
Minors (Rookie Ball)

AAA Scouting Info

Alright, folks. Here's a question for ya... I haven't played TOO much of OOTP5, but when I'm looking at my minors report, will there be a comment next to a AAA player saying he's ready for the bigs? I haven't seen one yet, so I'm guessing nobody is ready?

Thanks for any info.
TRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 06:40 PM   #2
Woodchuck
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I think that comment usually appears considerably later than when the player could play in the big leagues.
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 07:50 PM   #3
Henry
Hall of Fame

There isn't any "symbol" per se. His scouting report might suggest he's ready "he can probably handle..." etc. Once he gets to AAA, the decision really rests with you.
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:43 PM   #4
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

"should get a shot at the bigs if there is room" is the line i think. usually applies to those 26+ years old from my experience.
andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2003, 09:54 PM   #5
TRay
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Wow. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-28-2003, 05:00 AM   #6
Muppetus Galacticus
Hall Of Famer

I have just read my Minors Report and it told me that my 25yr old lefty starter, "Should get a shot at the Bigs if there is room on the active roster.". I was going to bring him up anyway before the end of the season if the division race was over with games still to play. Nice to know he's up for it though.

I was going to ask a similer question myself soon. I have a 4 1/2 star prospect CF (4 5 4, A range at CF + RF, C range at 2B) who I planned on bringing up next season. Now I know the decision mostly rests with me I will not overthink it because the AAA manager hasn't said to do it yet. So thanks from me too

Muppetus Galacticus

My Sports Replay Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Met Police football club blow a late three goal lead
As for the Met, coming away from Essex with a point has to rank as one their biggest disappointments since failing to catch Jack The Ripper in the late 1800's.
Muppetus Galacticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 06:44 PM   #7
jened
Minors (Triple A)

don't forget the 3 year window starts clicking if you bring him up after you are officially eliminated from the playoffs just to see if he can perform. if he's a stud, i'd hold off til next year.
Old 09-28-2003, 08:14 PM   #8
Mel_Ott

The game will tell you when the AI thinks the player is ready. However, it's not always reliable; I've had AAA SPs with a 2 in 'avoid runs' get the message while a better ('5' in avoid runs, and better in the other ratings, too), younger (22 to 26) player doesn't get the message.

Really, I think you need to look at a player's ratings and stats in AAA more than the AI recommendation for when you need to bring a guy up. I usually do just the opposite with A and AA callups, though, unless a guy is just tearing it up at his current level.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:52 PM   #9
TRay
Minors (Rookie Ball)

3 Year Window? Crap. I brought up a whole load of them this year in September. Oh, well. I guess the clocks are a-tickin'!
Old 09-29-2003, 04:38 PM   #10
saves the day82
Minors (Single A)

I think them being ready is separate from their ratings, I've had a vet with a 3 in runs allowed dominate down the stretch run for me and a youngin with a 5 in runs allowed blow it everytime I gave him the ball in the 7th or 8th inning
saves the day82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 05:04 PM   #11
Bohica
Minors (Triple A)

Could fare pretty well against major league Pitchers right now. Or might say, could be a very effective Pitcher in the Big Leagues right now.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:50 AM   #12
Cooker
All Star Reserve

Like others, I've called up pitchers from AAA with pretty good "Avoid Runs" and "Avoid Hits" ratings who got absolutely shelled. And I've also had a few (but only a few) with very low ratings (e.g., 3 in AR) who seem to shine in the bigs.

It seems like pitchers' successes in OOTP5 are lots harder to predict just using their ratings than are hitters' successes. But even minor league hitters will sometimes surprise you. Due to injury I had to call up a marginal 1B prospect (with a 3 in Hits but a 9 in HRs) who in two months has hit .300 with 12 HRs.

Sometimes it drives me crazy; but then I remember real life is like that. ML scouts who rate minor league players are sometimes simply all wrong. Look at the Indians' Jody Gerut, who in one season went from fringe prospect to rookie-of-the-year candidate!

I love the fact that OOTP5 doesn't let me rely totally on formulas!
Cooker is offline   Reply With Quote