Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 07-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
chriskelly
All Star Reserve

spring training: teach new position

how exactly do i teach a player a new position in spring training without setting all of the individual lineups? I want my backup 1b to get LF experience. I don't want him to be the starting LF in the spring, just get playing time there.
chriskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #2
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

If you want him to get some time you will have to do manual managment. Setting him to start is the easiest way to get him time.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #3
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

does spring training adhere to depth chart whatsoever?

i regularly set it up with 6/7th day off with a backup etc... almost always multiple starters get 1/2 the AB as some of the other starters. either they get subbed more often or it's not caring about my choices. everyone should get the same amount of AB, roughly based on depth chart, but it doesn't happen.

i'm almost 99% certain that it doesn't give 2 cents about my bullpen depth chart. it clearly rotates between 2-3 rp per game. the 'better' rated ones get a few more innings even if buried at "MR-use less often" and no secondary. as i sim game by game it basically ignores my choices, i can tell by who gets used per day.

if i need someone to catch up in innings, this doesn't even work that well -- i will have them as primary long reliever and no one else with that responsibility... still isn't choosen first for long relief, lol....

one positive -- you supposedly learn a position a bit faster during ST than game time during the season.

nowadays, i have maybe ~15 batters and maybe ~6-7 rp in pen and that's it. otherwise my starters barely get any playing time. if i have >28-30 in ST it's due to something odd.

long story short: you may have to start the games, ensure of a proper lineup that you want that day, and sim the game... if you want to make sure he plays more than a few innings, you'll have to play the entire game out, most likely.

Last edited by NoOne; 07-29-2018 at 10:23 AM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskelly View Post
how exactly do i teach a player a new position in spring training without setting all of the individual lineups? I want my backup 1b to get LF experience. I don't want him to be the starting LF in the spring, just get playing time there.
Be aware that the player must have a certain set of default skills that fit the defensive spectrum in order to develop a position rating. If your backup 1B is a true 1B then it might be difficult to play OF. More likely that a backup IF OF or catcher could make the switch with better results. That being said OOTP does not punish low defensive ratings enough IMO.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote