Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-13-2016, 05:00 PM   #1
wspahn21
Major Leagues

What causes rookie of the year repeats?

Been playing 14 and today bought 16 finally and started a new historical fiction league.

Started in 1871 and not even 6 years in to building history there is already a repeat ROY winner.

What could cause that? I am not sure how the game determines ROY.

I tried to search but couldn't find anything useful.
wspahn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

One thing I could think of would be a serious shortage of rookies, which small leagues with few teams might be prone to, where a guy wins ROTY without even meeting the minimum requirements to disqualify his rookie status for the next season, where he might be technically eligible again. Did the guy in question play a full season in the first year or was it just a cup of coffee, and it's just that there just weren't many other rookies getting playing time?

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #3
wspahn21
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
One thing I could think of would be a serious shortage of rookies, which small leagues with few teams might be prone to, where a guy wins ROTY without even meeting the minimum requirements to disqualify his rookie status for the next season, where he might be technically eligible again.
I think you are right. I just looked and one finished in ROY voting for 3 years in a row. There aren't enough rookies and not enough players meeting the requirements so the game is doing what it can.

If I wasn't building history and following closer I could manually vote and not have this issue. Something to think about but not sure if it worth starting over for.
Old 03-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
DocHalladay
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspahn21 View Post
I think you are right. I just looked and one finished in ROY voting for 3 years in a row. There aren't enough rookies and not enough players meeting the requirements so the game is doing what it can.

If I wasn't building history and following closer I could manually vote and not have this issue. Something to think about but not sure if it worth starting over for.
When i simmed my MLB Standard league in god-mode, i voted for all-stars, manually assigned year-end rewards and voted for HoF every season.

I am confident in looking back over history the awards were given by my standards and not the AI standards. Gives my league more street cred, if you will.
DocHalladay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #5
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

At the present time, the game only takes into account the IP limit for P, and the AB limit for position players. It is not currently taking into account the days on the active roster limit which is 45 days (prior to September). That limit seems to be beyond OOTP's ability to discriminate properly as to who is and is not a rookie. Furthermore, if you're playing in 1871, it would take longer to reach the 130 AB limit or the 50 IP limit than it would in modern times due to the difference in schedule length. In my games, I play without September roster expansion, so anybody with 1 year, 46 days and up of service time, I eliminate as a rookie, and move on to the next choice. I choose my own awards (partly so that this doesn't happen).
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 06:32 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Please show screenshots. With all respect I've never seen this in any league I've played. I'm not disputing it; just interested in documenting a huge bug.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:18 PM   #7
wspahn21
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Please show screenshots. With all respect I've never seen this in any league I've played. I'm not disputing it; just interested in documenting a huge bug.
I will get some screenshots if I can. I have seen it before a long time ago but I just figured it would be something fixed by now.

It has always kind of been an unwritten rule with OOTP that before 1901 YMMV.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #8
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll get some when I can. It's not that time of year in my game right now. I just did my awards a couple of days ago in real time, but I'll be damned if I can remember the guy the game wanted to give it to that didn't qualify due to service time. I've even seen guys with 2 years, 0 days of service time that the computer has tried to award the Rookie of the Year to (or second or third place), and that flat out shouldn't be happening however many AB or IP he had the previous season.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:15 AM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

A screenshot of duplicate ROY should be easy to produce.

See this page. Any duplicate should show up in the RHS column. Nothing to do with time of year.
Attached Images

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 12:51 AM   #10
brewdog
Minors (Triple A)

Don't know if this has been said, but, check your service time required for 1 year. In a modern MLB environment it is 172 days. I may be wrong but this could lead to multiple rookie season if set too high.
Old 03-14-2016, 03:31 AM   #11
monkeystyxx
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
A screenshot of duplicate ROY should be easy to produce.

See this page. Any duplicate should show up in the RHS column. Nothing to do with time of year.
As AJ said though, he's giving out the awards himself. So the ROY the AI wanted to award won't show up there. He'll need to wait for awards season.
monkeystyxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 05:28 PM   #12
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewdog View Post
Don't know if this has been said, but, check your service time required for 1 year. In a modern MLB environment it is 172 days. I may be wrong but this could lead to multiple rookie season if set too high.
I have mine set to 172 days, but my seasons run 182 days, so that can't be it.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:51 PM   #13
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Ok RchW...Got one for you. First screenshot shows that the computer has chosen Milton Bradley for the AL Jackie Robinson Award (Rookie of the Year). Second screenshot is a shot of Milton Bradley's card with his Service Time listed as 1 Year, 121 Days. Therefore, by the little known third criterion for Rookie of the Year (no more than 45 Days on the roster prior to September in prior year(s) - I play with September roster expansion off, so that's no more than 45 days on the roster in prior year(s) period), he should not be eligible for the award. Yet, he is. Theoretically, this could lead to a duplicate of RoY awards for one player if he didn't exceed his AB or IP criteria in those years, which Bradley didn't. This is going to be problematic in leagues with shorter schedules (which the OP appears to have been playing as he was in 1871) because AFAIK, the AB and IP criteria do not change regardless of schedule size. I'm gonna enjoy ripping the award away from a RL cretin like Bradley, but that's neither here nor there. Screenshots below.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by actionjackson; 03-15-2016 at 04:53 PM.