Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2014, 01:12 PM   #1
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

(Dynasty) Project Rebuild - Dallas Stars

I decided that I wanted to start rebuilding a team from today's date, so I simmed forward to 14th March and took over the team bottom of the whole league with a view to rebuilding from scratch.

That team was....

Dallas Stars

Information

Roster

Prospects

Last edited by jonnycosmic; 03-14-2014 at 03:25 PM.
jonnycosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
Empach
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycosmic View Post
I decided that I wanted to start rebuilding a team from today's date, so I simmed forward to 14th March and took over the team bottom of the whole league with a view to rebuilding from scratch.
Neat idea. I'll have to try that one day.
For my team I choose Buffalo. I always find it most enjoyable to with a rebuilding team or a team that needs to start a rebuild.
Empach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #3
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

It would seem that the two main prospects on the roster are going to be RFA's at the end of the season and are looking for a massive pay increase from $950,000 per season to over $5 million and am not sure that this is the direction I am wanting to go. As you can see, I have offered both Cody Eakin & Brendon Dillon contracts that I believe fits the status of the team and the individuals going forward. I can't imagine they will sign, but I am not really looking to offer long term, high salary contracts to players that are not deserving. For the last few games of the season, every single Dallas Star is playing for a position on next years roster.

I have been offered a three year contract with the Stars under the proviso that I reshape and rebuild the team. It is a team that mixes a lot of excellent younger players with a few that are at the wrong end of their careers. There are also a few good prospects that we own the rights to and I look to pick up a few more excellent prospects next season or in the draft.

First game after I take over is at home to the also struggling Calgary Flames.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:43 PM   #4
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

Manager Thoughts
A tough loss to take. It is the 7th game in a row that the Stars have lost, but against another struggling team at home, the forward line made Joey MacDonald work for the victory. Just 1 goal given up on 36 shots is a stellar night for the goalie, which will further increase his saves percentage from .914, and be disappointed to not be included in the three stars. It is also the third time this season that Calgary have ended up with the win. Plus points are, there were not many penalties given up; a stark improvement on the past few games, where we were averaging 10 Penalty Minutes.

Going Forward
Next up is a road trip to Winnipeg, who have been languishing on the borderline of playoffs qualification for the whole season. Better positioning and a clinical edge is needed on the PP and a continued effort to avoid giving up penalties, as with the third worst PK in the league, it is ill advised.

Last edited by jonnycosmic; 03-14-2014 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

First Period
GOAL(ES): WPG 3:56 - Dustin Byfuglien (Michael Frolik)
GOAL(ES): WPG 5:26 - Matt Halischuk (Patrice Cormier, Adam Lowry)
GOAL(ES): WPG 6:20 - Michael Frolik (Evander Kane, Tobias Enstrom)
Penalty: DAL 7:54 - Cody Eakin (Interference, 2 minutes)
GOAL(ES): DAL 13:35 - Cody Eakin (Valeri Nichushkin, Jordie Benn)
GOAL(ES): DAL 17:43 - Alex Goligoski (Trevor Daley, Ray Whitney)
Penalty: DAL 17:56 - Aaron Rome (Hooking, 2 minutes)
GOAL(PP): WPG 18:45 - Bryan Little (Andrew Ladd, Evander Kane)

WPG 4-2 DAL

Second Period
Penalty: DAL 1:14 - Eric Cole (Holding, 2 minutes)
GOAL(PP): WPG 1:35 - Andrew Ladd (Zach Bogosian, Dustin Byfuglien)
Penalty: DAL 6:50 - Brendon Dillen (Game Misconduct, 10 minutes)
GOAL(ES): DAL 7:12 - Jamie Benn (Vernon Fiddler)
Penalty: WPG 15:35 - Anthony Peluso (Slashing, 2 minutes)

WPG 5-3 DAL

Third Period
Penalty: WPG 0.36 - Dustin Byfuglien (Cross-checking, 2 minutes)
GOAL(ES): DAL 2.46 - Shawn Horcoff (Alex Goligoski, Alex Chiasson)
GOAL(ES): DAL 15:35 - Jamie Benn (Vernon Fiddler)
GOAL(ES): WPG 18:45 - Olli Jokinen (Grant Clitsome)

Manager Thoughts
On the positive side of things, the team showed excellent resolve in the third period to come back from a goal down to tie up the result. Again, the side are getting the shots on the net and for the second match in a row, we outshot our opponents. Negatively, another two goals given up on the powerplay is unacceptable. The late goal to give Winnipeg the victory is also a kick in the teeth, after such a tremendous comeback. For the neutral, this was an excellent match to watch. Need to tighten up defensively and stop giving up silly penalties, especially the game misconduct. I can only imagine what Brendon Dillen did.

Going Forward
Up next is a home tie against division leaders Pittsburgh Penguins, who I imagine are in no mood to give up a defeat against the current bottom team in the league. Much better penalty killing is needed and making the shots on net count. Tim Thomas has been placed on waivers and will probably not play again for Dallas. A 21-year old prospect has been brought into the fold and will potentially start against Pittsburgh or further down the line.
Also, have been looking forward to scouting players for the draft. Assuming the lottery is nice for us, a decision needs to be made on Sam Reinhart, or Aaron Ekblad. Further down the draft, a few goalies have caught our eye and the scout reports will hopefully be here in a week or so.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:35 AM   #6
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

First Period
Penalty: PIT 4.44 - Joe Vitale (Interference, 2 minutes)
GOAL(ES): PIT 6:45 - Matt Niskanen (Jussi Jokinen, Scott Harrington)
Penalty: PIT 15.43 - Chris Kunitz (Fighting, 5 minutes)
Penalty: DAL 15.43 - Aaron Rome (Fighting, 5 minutes)
Penalty: DAL 16.43 - Alex Goligoski (Hooking, 2 minutes)

DAL 0 - 1 PIT

Second Period
GOAL(ES):
PIT 15.24 - Brandon Sutter (Kris Letang, Olli Maata)
GOAL(ES): DAL 16.01 - Jamie Benn (Rich Peverley, Sergei Gonchar)
Penalty: PIT 18:05 - Craig Adams (High-Sticking, 2 minutes)

DAL 1 - PIT 2

Third Period
Penalty: DAL 0.45 - Mike Winther (Cross Checking, 2 minutes)
GOAL(ES): DAL 4.34 - Shawn Horcoff (Alex Chiasson)
Penalty: DAL 7.45 - Sergei Gonchar (Tripping, 2 minutes)

FINAL
DAL 2-2 PIT

Shootout
Ray Whitney (DAL) - SCORE 1-0
Pascal Dupuis (PIT) - SCORE 1-1
Sergei Gonchar (DAL) - MISS 1-1
Chris Kunitz (PIT) - SCORE 1-2
Erik Cole (DAL) - SCORE 2-2
Taylor Pyatt (PIT) - MISS 2-2
Rich Peverley (DAL) - SCORE 3-2
James Neal (PIT) - MISS 3-2

Manager Thoughts
Another excellent fightback, after giving up two early goals, this time culminating in the shootout win. Lots of positives in this game. A much improved penalty killing team, giving up no goals on the three penalties. Nothing more to be said about this road trip. We went to the home of one of the top teams in the league and when all looked bleak, they have shown a fantastic resolve to turn the game around.
Old 03-15-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

I'm really enjoying this dynasty report, even if it is the Stars. Keep up the good work and keep them coming!

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:29 AM   #8
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

-----------------------------------------------------

Manager Thoughts
Excellent two days for the Stars, beating teams in and around the same positions as us. We are still ten points behind the 29th placed team, but these matchups show us that we can definitely beat teams and our position is situational, with several early season injuries dictating the poor start to the season. Fantastic third period in both games, but especially so against the Flyers. Disappointingly gave up more goals on the powerplay and this is the main area of improvement for next season. Pretty good debut for the rookie goalie, Jack Campbell (6.5a/7.5a), who gave up 5 goals on 42 shots, but the main thing is getting his first win in the NHL.

Going Forward
Next up is a game against the Winnipeg Jets. I am looking for Alex Chiasson & Shawn Horcoff to continue their excellent run of form, as it is making the rest of the team perform. I may have a look at changing the PK lines, as it is clear that the lines are not getting the job done. May take a more aggressive stance for the next game.
In contract news, I have tabled improved offers for Cody Eakin & Brendon Dillon. I still believe that the offers are reasonable for both prospects, but way under the contract they are wanting. We will see if they change their minds when the offer sheets do not materialize.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:29 PM   #9
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

Manager Comments
Not a pretty game for the neutral, as the scoring was over by the end of the first period, but another win on the board against a team that had the better of us in previous encounters. The real story coming out of the game was an exceptional game from Ondrej Pavelec, who gave up just 2 goals on 49 shots. An excellent offensive game from the Stars, with a much improved penalty percentage - giving up just one penalty in the whole game. Need to keep the offense going as we face a tricky road trip to Chicago.

================================================== =

Manager Thoughts
Picked up a couple of injuries early on in this game and that affected the overall feel of the side. Alex Chiasson is listed day-to-day with a calf strain and Ray Whitney out 3 weeks. The offense never really got going and it seemed like the major task of overcoming the Stanley Cup champions was too much for the young Stars to deal with. On the back of that, the defensive efforts seemed a little too aggressive for the officials, although I am happy that they only gave up 1 goal on 5 PP opportunities. Overall, it is a very talented young crop of players to work with and am very much looking forward to picking up a few more in the draft, with blueliners a must. Have moved to within 6 points of 29th in the league, with 9 games left to play.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #10
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Nice job so far! Good read!!
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:43 PM   #11
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

==================================================

Manager Thoughts
Did exactly what was asked of the team in a massive home matchup and the first of a 5-game road streak. Massive numbers coming out of the match against St. Louis, with the special teams being the major talking point. No goals given up from the PK unit, and with Tyler Seguin fitting back into the PP line after an injury, three powerplay goals. These results take us off the bottom of the league, replaced by New Jersey. Next goal to get off the bottom of the conference. This could prove to be quite tricky, with 5 of the final 7 on the road.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

Dallas Stars news

Minors
A pretty tough month all in all for the two affiliated clubs. Out in the American Hockey League, Texas Stars cling to the final playoff spot by the skin on their teeth. Major plus points have been an excellent season by the Edmonton native, 21-year-old Brendan Ranford. Drafted 209th in the 2010 draft by Philadelphia, Ranford is a skillful winger playing on the fourth line for the Texas Stars, which is shocking as he is 43rd on the overall scoring chart.
Out in the ECHL, the Idaho Steelheads have qualified for the playoffs, but have some serious injury troubles to contend with going into the off-season. Stars prospect Taylor Peters is picking up some seriously good reviews and may be looking to move up to the NHL next season.

Draft Preview
Dependent on the draft lottery, sources inside the Dallas Stars have Boston College goaltender Thatcher Demko at the top of the Stars shortlist. The 18-year-old San Diego native is a 6' 3" goalie with a .913 average in his rookie season for the Boston College Eagles. Sources claim that if the Stars fail to acquire either Sam Reinhart or Aaron Ekblad, future goaltending prospects are where you'll expect coach Jonathan Ball to put his first round pick.

Current Standings

Old 03-19-2014, 06:31 PM   #13
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

Manager Thoughts
Disappointing road trip to Washington, as they were coming off the back of a 7 game losing streak. Shots not getting on the net in this game is the most worrying aspect of the matchup. Had plenty of the puck, looked dangerous going across the blueline, but not making the goaltender work. Another DtD injury picked up by Valeri Nichushkin made this an all around dreadful trip out to Washington. Only saving grace is another goal by Tyler Seguin, who is looking fully fit after his injury.

======================================

Manager thoughts
Bit of an odd game to watch this one, it seemed at times that neither team wanted to give up a penalty, for fear of what may happen on the breakaway. Throughout the game, there was a grand total of 14 short handed shots on goal, resulting in two goals - one for either side. In the end it went the full distance, with 1st star Eric Cole getting the only goal in the shootout to decide the tie.

Coming Up
Two tricky ties coming up in the next few days against Tampa Bay Lightning and the much improving Florida Panthers. Will look to maybe give Jack Campbell another start in the game out in Florida and might need to juggle a few of the lines, to compensate for injuries.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:12 PM   #14
jonnycosmic
Minors (Single A)

I've decided against continuing this dynasty, as I was unable to sign any of my RFA's at the end of the season, but I was able to trade for 4 of the top 7 drafted players in the league with minimal offers on my side.

By the start of the next season I had Aaron Ekblad (my pick, 3rd overall), Sam Bennett (2nd overall), Leon Draisatl (4th overall) & Thatcher Demko (6th overall) - all in all, I gave a 4.5/6.5 defenceman, a few later round picks and the rights to someone who refused to sign for me and the team I drafted him to.

I will definitely come back to writing a dynasty when trading and contracts get up to scratch.

Still loving the game though....