Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
arribaarriba
Bat Boy

Post DHing your pitcher!!!!

Hey everyone, so I'm simming through a fictional league with 1-10 ratings, and my team has a solid SP(7-8-7), who also has very good batting ratings(7-7-6-6-6) and is a 3.5 star DH. I was wondering if he could both be in my rotation and be my DH in my lineup? When i think about it I do not see any problems with it, but OOTP 14 won't let me do this, it keeps switching my lineups when i sim thru games. Is there something I am missing? Can this not be done?

Also I wondered, if my SP is my DH does his rest status also affect how well at the plate he performs? Let me know what y'all think?
arribaarriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
Righty Groove
Minors (Triple A)

He definetely can be, and it's quite easy too.

When he is starting, simply deactivate the DH, of course. He will bat then.

When he ISN'T starting, set him as the DH. You'll have to use the 7-day lineups, or it definetely won't work.

Regarding rest, it definetely does affect his batting (and pitching also). You may have to give him a day off (no DHing) after a start, and a day-off right before a start aswell. Use 7-day lineups!

So, he probably can't be a FULL TIME DH, pitching every 5th day and DHing 2 games between starts. You may try different stuff with him, see what works.
Righty Groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

The one thing OOTP doesn't replicate is the NCAA rule that allows a player to be the P/DH in the lineup. That way if he's taken out as a pitcher, he can remain in the lineup as the DH.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

The Game doesn't allow you to bat the P in the DH slot. If you leave the slot where the DH would bat empty. it just selects another position player to DH. Using players Both ways is something I've done (And continue to do) extensively. There is no way to bat a Pitcher in a League using the DH (In the game he pitches) using 7-day lineups that I have found that works.

He can bat in games he doesn't Pitch in a league that uses the DH, and in a league that doesn't use the DH he can bat in a slot other than 9th in a game he pitches (By leaving any slot empty and moving another player to 9th in the order)

Here is a thread I wrote about using players both ways

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...babe-ruth.html
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino

Last edited by Painmantle; 11-01-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
D-BacksJosh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
The one thing OOTP doesn't replicate is the NCAA rule that allows a player to be the P/DH in the lineup. That way if he's taken out as a pitcher, he can remain in the lineup as the DH.
This would be great if implemented.
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

You can't have a P/DH in OOTP, but for the other 80% of games he can be the DH. You lose his bat when he pitches, though.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Brummer's_Stealing_Home!
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painmantle View Post
The Game doesn't allow you to bat the P in the DH slot. If you leave the slot where the DH would bat empty. it just selects another position player to DH. Using players Both ways is something I've done (And continue to do) extensively. There is no way to bat a Pitcher in a League using the DH (In the game he pitches) using 7-day lineups that I have found that works.
I have had limited success doing this, actually, by using 7-day lineups, and in the depth charts vs. LHP and RHP listing the two-way player as the top pinch-hitter. It doesn't always work, for some reason, and the two-way player stays in the game as the DH even though he leaves as the pitcher. Witness P/DH Juan Marquez for Youngstown below:
Attached Images
Brummer's_Stealing_Home! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
tds7887
Minors (Rookie Ball)

If a starter comes into a game when he isn't starting and he bats or plays the field but doesn't pitch will he still recover fatigue?

Basically what I'm asking is for pitcher fatigue does only pitching affect it or does coming into a game affect it?
Old 11-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #9
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummer's_Stealing_Home! View Post
I have had limited success doing this, actually, by using 7-day lineups, and in the depth charts vs. LHP and RHP listing the two-way player as the top pinch-hitter. It doesn't always work, for some reason, and the two-way player stays in the game as the DH even though he leaves as the pitcher. Witness P/DH Juan Marquez for Youngstown below:
Wow, interesting! Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #10
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He can bat in games he doesn't Pitch in a league that uses the DH, and in a league that doesn't use the DH he can bat in a slot other than 9th in a game he pitches (By leaving any slot empty and moving another player to 9th in the order)

Here is a thread I wrote about using players both ways

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...babe-ruth.html
I plan on using the pitcher as a hitter quite a bit in my upcoming 2017 season can you give me some tip?. Now mine is a tad different then using him just as a hitting pitcher, he also catches. He will catch the #2 guy and the #2 guy catches the #1 guy i also have a clone of Bob Boone as my other C who will catch the other 2-3 pitchers.
Do you use SP as 2 way players and how tired do they get? Both my top 2 SP have STA of 10 and I use Normal for pitcher fatigue.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
BoSoxFan
Major Leagues

Can't you "lose the DH" and put the pitcher where the DH would be? I remember Joe Maddon doing that in Game 3 of the ALDS against the Sox.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #12
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSoxFan View Post
Can't you "lose the DH" and put the pitcher where the DH would be? I remember Joe Maddon doing that in Game 3 of the ALDS against the Sox.
Yes, that typically happens when the DH is inserted into the field. The DH must remain in the same spot in the lineup all game long, so when the DH goes into the field, the DH is lost and the pitcher must hit.

IIRC, Maddon put Matt Joyce, who was DHing, into the outfield. So the pitcher then became the hitter in the spot where the previous RF was.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
I plan on using the pitcher as a hitter quite a bit in my upcoming 2017 season can you give me some tip?. Now mine is a tad different then using him just as a hitting pitcher, he also catches. He will catch the #2 guy and the #2 guy catches the #1 guy i also have a clone of Bob Boone as my other C who will catch the other 2-3 pitchers.
Do you use SP as 2 way players and how tired do they get? Both my top 2 SP have STA of 10 and I use Normal for pitcher fatigue.

Catchers are very hard to work with, I haven't been very successful with them because of the fatigue factor when playing their position. There is a link in the post of mine you quoted about using players 2-way. All I can tell you is play the player with the guidelines in my thread
Dual Players 101 (Or How to develop the Next Babe Ruth)

I learned in a league where I was playing out all the games. I have done it enough now to apply that knowledge to online leagues that sim a week at a time and the basics are in the above thread.

Good Luck
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Catchers are very hard to work with, I haven't been very successful with them because of the fatigue factor when playing their position. There is a link in the post of mine you quoted about using players 2-way. All I can tell you is play the player with the guidelines in my thread
Dual Players 101 (Or How to develop the Next Babe Ruth)

I learned in a league where I was playing out all the games. I have done it enough now to apply that knowledge to online leagues that sim a week at a time and the basics are in the above thread.

Good Luck
thanx I bookmarked it, I will look at it before I begin my 2017 season.

"Stay Strong"

Old 11-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
boshk
All Star Reserve

just make sure to remember to change their positions when pitching/hitting. in the past i have had a 2-way player, and if i forgot to change them to pitcher, they fatigued really fast, and only lasted an inning or two.
boshk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #16
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boshk View Post
just make sure to remember to change their positions when pitching/hitting. in the past i have had a 2-way player, and if i forgot to change them to pitcher, they fatigued really fast, and only lasted an inning or two.
You can keep them listed as a P all the time.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #17
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
You can keep them listed as a P all the time.
Yeah in my test league I was able to keep both my SP/C at P the entire time.

"Stay Strong"