Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

TBCB General Discussions Talk about the new boxing sim, Title Bout.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:46 PM   #1
darthpb
All Star Reserve

Boxing on NBC

Despite having that dbag Broner on I think it was a successful debut. Marv and Ray need work, Marv gets excited to easily, but how great to see boxing on TV again!!!!!
darthpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:54 AM   #2
Mark42661
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthpb View Post
Despite having that dbag Broner on I think it was a successful debut. Marv and Ray need work, Marv gets excited to easily, but how great to see boxing on TV again!!!!!
I agree... it's awesome to see boxing on primetime network TV again. Honestly, I thought it would never happen again.

The Broner "fight" was awful, but I felt that the Robert Guerrero fight more than made up for it. Guerrero is a prime example of what makes this still the greatest sport there is.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:57 AM   #3
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

What a great fight that was. I was actually believing that Guerrero would be able to put him down.

What fight was the judge watching that scored it 120-107? He clearly won two rounds and I thought had an argument for a third (9th or 10th I think, where Thurman took it off and ran. )

Anyway, very entertaining fight and thrilled to see boxing back on network t.v.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:47 AM   #4
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark42661 View Post
I agree... it's awesome to see boxing on primetime network TV again. Honestly, I thought it would never happen again.

The Broner "fight" was awful, but I felt that the Robert Guerrero fight more than made up for it. Guerrero is a prime example of what makes this still the greatest sport there is.

I agree, NBC sure made it a big production & yes, the 2nd fight was entertaining!

Best part, it's just the beginning, Spike has a card Friday & CBS a title fight on a Sat afternoon next month.
hamed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

I read something somewhere that someone was going to ante up 20 mil to put fights on mainstream (aka nbc, cbs etc) ill look for the link but NBC is having another fight in April
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyberianwarrior View Post
I read something somewhere that someone was going to ante up 20 mil to put fights on mainstream (aka nbc, cbs etc) ill look for the link but NBC is having another fight in April

Al Haymon - he bought the time on NBC, he has 100 (maybe a lot more) fighters under contract and is behind the whole thing.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
Cap
Hall Of Famer

It was a boxing orgy yesterday. I watched four heavyweight fights from the Boxcino tournament online, then watched Charley Norkus vs Danny Nardico I and II, Then watched the live boxing on NBC on a channel I didn't even know I got. The advance PR for Prime Time boxing was pretty dismal. I'm an average boxing fan and I didn't know it was on. The first fight was terribly one-sided. The Thurman-Guerrero fight was better but by the seventh round I figured Thurman would win. Did Steve Farhood give Guerrero even one round? (Haymon paid big bucks to showcase two of his guys.) Did you notice the actual ringside weights of those junior welters and welterweights? The lightest guy was 152 just under 11 stone.

Cap

Last edited by Cap; 03-08-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
Hanson Bros
Hall Of Famer

Thought it was well done ... commentating was horrible ... not sure Marv has watched a boxing match in the 30 years since it was on network TV ... Leonard spent the whole first fight praising Molina ... it was clear he had no idea who any of these guys were ... I did like having Flores and Ali in the corners but thought Flores was underused ...

UTBA3
Hanson Bros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:27 PM   #9
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

I thought Broner-Molina was just awful. I almost turned off the TV and went back to the living room where my wife was watching the Cavaliers vs the Phoenix Suns. Molina looked one-dimensional, clueless and overwhelmed, either by the moment or by Broner. It sometimes looked like he didn't want to be there at all.

I wonder how many viewers pronounced this experiment a failue during Broner vs Molina and turned to something else? I've never seen Broner fight, and I'll never sit through another of his fights even if someone pays me. All I know of him is what I've read or heard various analysts say about him. Last night I was not impressed at all.

Thurman-Guerrero was quite good. I'm glad I stayed around to watch that one. During that fight I kept wishing my dad and father-in-law were still alive to enjoy it with me.

I had no problem with the commentary. I also had no problem with seeing Leila Ali in living color on my TV screen.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 03:43 PM   #10
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyberianwarrior View Post
Yes, Danny Garcia vs. Lamont Peterson & Andy Lee vs. Peter Quillin on April 11th. They were also going to have Danny Jacobs on that card but decided to move him to April 24th on Spike.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #11
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post

I had no problem with the commentary. I also had no problem with seeing Leila Ali in living color on my TV screen.
Her dad always claimed to be a pretty man!
Old 03-08-2015, 04:52 PM   #12
Jackyle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonin View Post
I thought Broner-Molina was just awful.

Thurman-Guerrero was quite good.

Ditto on all of the above. Thurman really proved a lot to me, and Guerrero... Guy is just fantastic!

Molina, really let me down.

Albert was awful. Leonard is just for the name. Ali is gorgeous. Kenny Rice stinks. Flores is excellent.

I personally love the Shobox team of Marquez, Farhood, and Tompkins.

I was sick yesterday, and watched boxing all day. Marquez v Vazquez 1, JoJo Diaz and the FS1 broadcast, Tony Harrison and the Friday night fight broadcast, Zou Shiming on HBO2. Even watched a few fights from UFC 179 that I had missed.
Jackyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #13
Hanson Bros
Hall Of Famer

Kenny Rice looked like he was doing a Fireman Bill impersonation the whole night

UTBA3
Old 03-08-2015, 05:02 PM   #14
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

^ I agree about Molina, he talked so big on that good show NBC produced about the 4 fighters. Goosen seemed frustrated too, I wonder if they'll be together for his next fight?

Maybe Molina should fight Mike Alvarado next?
Old 03-08-2015, 05:39 PM   #15
Antonin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyle View Post
Ditto on all of the above. Thurman really proved a lot to me, and Guerrero... Guy is just fantastic!

Molina, really let me down.

I was sick yesterday, and watched boxing all day.
It's no fun being sick all day, but at least you had boxing to make you feel better!

I thought Thurman and Guerrero did the sport proud. Both fought hard, they were respectful of each other afterwards, and they seemed aware that being on network TV was a big deal. I with they had been the opening bout.
Cultural icons, gone but not forgotten: David Bowie, Lou Reed, William S. Burroughs, Tristan Tzara, Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsburg, Jimi Hendrix, John Cage, Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls), Mike Hudson (The Pagans), Joey Ramone (Ramones), Stiv Bators (Dead Boys), Tomata Du Plenty (The Screamers), Joe Strummer (The Clash), Lester Bangs
Antonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:12 PM   #16
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Keep Ali and Flores. Sugar Ray wasn't good, but he's better than Roy Jones and he's an attraction all by himself. Did I say keep Laila Ali?
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #17
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

sorry i missed all of this but getting my life back and a season ticket plan to the Nashville Predators helps as well (all star game in 2016 ) and I missed out on this Peterson punked Khan for his title if anyone remembers....looking forward to this.
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:27 PM   #18
CMH
Hall Of Famer

I liked the Molina/Broner fight mostly because it was so lopsided.

Molina looked completely overwhelmed or uninterested or confused. Can't quite figure it out. I can see why maybe that would make the fight poor but I wanted to keep watching just to see how else he could make himself look dull.

Broner was barely challenged but I said it to someone else, Broner is a fast hitter that is really slow on defense. It was weird to see. He also didn't seem to realize that he was lucky to have that fight because as uninterested as Molina looked, Broner looked lazy.
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:09 PM   #19
American_Ernesider
Major Leagues

Glad to see this thread. I really want this return to prime time to be relatively permanent. I came up in a time when there was lots of major network boxing (I think the three major ones had a summer program, and of course we had ESPN's RIngside and USA Tuesday NIght FIghts, etc.), but the last primetime bout was probably two years before I started watching in earnest.
American_Ernesider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:03 AM   #20
Hanson Bros
Hall Of Famer

Molina really disappointed me ... I actually put money down on him because he was a pretty big dog and I knew he (usually) worked hard and had a lot of pop ... when a normally busy fighter won't let his hands go against a guy who really can't hit it makes you wonder if he was paid off ...

UTBA3