Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - Public Beta Test
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
JeffR
FHM Producer

FHM and Macs

Just to clear up the situation regarding our plans for a Mac version of FHM:

We intend the September release to have both PC and Mac versions. However, the Beta release will be PC-only for the immediate future. Sebastian hopes to start on the Mac version within a month, but that largely depends on what his workload is like at that point.

So, for the time being, any attempt at playing the game on a Mac via emulators or dual booting will be at your own risk. We also can't promise that a license purchased now will work on a Mac later (it's likely, but definitely not certain), so the safest route will be holding off on buying the game if you only have access to a Mac.

That said, if Mac users want to use this thread to discuss amongst yourselves ways to get the beta running, go ahead - we just can't officially support anything at this point.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
Stat
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Here is the guide I wrote with the thread linked with another thread here. Please read and use at own risk.

Work in Progress - At your Own Risk

How to Run FHM (Or Any Other Game on the Mac):

There are three ways to run Franchise Hockey Manager on the Mac using a Windows EXE file. Understand that the FHM beta is unstable and may not work at all. But do not worry as a Mac beta and a Mac version will be coming out.

Please read Jeff's post above. It's at your own risk.
Bootcamp will work best followed by Parallels and Wineskin but Wineskin is the easiest to set up and test. I will write a guide for the methods depending on how I get each to work. Personally, I recommend Wineskin. But if it doesn't work, I would recommend waiting for the Mac beta. Yes, it's unfortunate but for some people, a beta shouldn't cost $30 + the cost of the Windows License and the resulting complicated install.

You will need a FHM License and the EXE file from your purchased license. Depending on the method, a Windows OS CD and/or separate programs. Understand that it may not work, and some of these are quite complicated. I recommend waiting for the actual Mac beta if Wineskin doesn't work and you don't have the other two methods

Bootcamp

The first is Bootcamp. You need a Windows Operating System (OS) License CD for it and have to run bootcamp using a partitioned hard drive. Essientially, you will allow your computer to boot up into a Windows or a Mac OS on start up. This is a long install and something I do not recommend doing if you only will play the FHM beta. Linked above is the official Apple guide on how to install using bootcamp.

Bootcamp:

Pros: Your computer will act and boot like a Windows computer. It becomes a Windows computer in a Mac box. This will work. Easiest to use once installed.
Cons: Partitioned Hard Drive requires formatting and its a longer install. Much more complicated to use than some other methods.

How to Install: This is Apple's official guide on how to install bootcamp. After completion, download the EXE file for the FHM beta and install.
Required: Mac running 10.5.0 or later, Windows License OS CD, 10GB of hard drive space (more is recommended since you can't change this after installation), and a couple other minor things located on the first page of the guide.

Parallels
The second is Parallells . It is a paid program that runs a Windows virtual machine while you are on a Mac. Again, requires a Windows OS License. It's almost like playing a computer game within a computer while on your Mac. You use both at the same time. I've used this before - I didn't like it as much as bootcamp for other programs but it works. Can be a bit slow though.

How to Install: Follow this official guide. It's simple to use. After that install the FHM beta on the Windows virtual machine and get playing.

Pros: Allows you to have a Mac/Windows at the same time on the same screen.
Cons: Most expensive. I've found it to be buggy but it has its uses. Not recommended for just playing the FHM beta.

--

Wineskin
The third is Wineskin. It's free and open source but is the least-stable of the three versions. It requires a wrapper in order to run the game. I have played betas in Wineskin before (Spy Party) but has the lowest chance of working. This is a process of installing, creating wrapper, and working. It essientially creates a smaller version of a Windows virtual machine exclusively for that game. Lots of people use it using custom wrappers for some of the larger games that aren't on the Mac (like Skyrim).

I will write a guide up on how to install FHM using a Wineskin beta when it is released.

Pros: Free, open source.
Cons: Least likely to work. Can't update the database to have pictures/new databases as easily.

Last edited by Stat; 03-04-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

Hi Jeff - this is a sub I'll follow with particular interest. While I have both PCs and Macs - and could easily join the fun now, I'd PREFER ultimately to enjoy the sim on the Mac (I currently play OOTP 13 on the Mac) - particularly if there's any chance that a PC license purchased during the beta process won't transfer over for a user who would re-install on the Mac.

I'm sure once Sebastian climbs out from the rubble of this initial "get it out the door" push and has time to begin porting it over to the Mac - we'll need to give it solid testing on Mac systems as well (I can't imagine the next six months of testing being PC exclusive with the go-to-market to include a Mac version without solid beta testing) ... so at this point, I'm thinking of following your lead and holding off 'til something is actually ready to go for Mac before committing to purchase a license.

I'm enjoying following the proceedings here tho, I must say! And will be very happy to throw my hat in the ring and help with testing once a Mac version is ready to roll!

Best of luck and wishes of abundant success on this fine effort!!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
silentsim
Bat Boy

I purchased the beta after being told on Twitter that the license would eventually work with Mac- but it seems to have been clarified. Fortunately the Twitter crew told me that should it not be, they will be able to switch the license for me, due to providing the other information.
Glad to hear that and hope the beta goes well!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

hi silentsim - I was seriously considering purchasing a license and testing on PC when initial indications were that the license would transfer. Since Jeff clarified it in the post at the top of this thread - I had to reconsider (not interested in purchasing two licenses for a game I'll play on one system - lol) ...

I love this whole concept tho of a public beta period - it's gotta be really groundbreaking in the industry - and i particularly love the fact that the gamers will have a real stake in this part of the process - not limiting a beta version to a relatively small cadre of testers (relatively small vs the larger gaming community) will allow for an almost infinite amount of deeper testing, better bug squashing, feature development - and by gamers being able to input feedback - for them to at least feel - if not outright have - a sliver of 'ownership' in the final product. This is absolutely brilliant and I must say I'm enjoying seeing how this is unfolding.

I also fully appreciate the absolute, 100% up-front forthright approach the developers (Jeff, Sebastian, and everyone working on this project) are taking - they're not sugar coating anything - telling it exactly like it is - not withholding information and keeping all of us informed. The Mac readiness and Mac license transfer issues being a good example of the EXCELLENT communication on Jeff's part. It's really nice to see that in the marketplace nowadays!

Wishing everyone on this outstanding project only the very best for abundant success!!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
silentsim
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probert24 View Post
hi silentsim - I was seriously considering purchasing a license and testing on PC when initial indications were that the license would transfer. Since Jeff clarified it in the post at the top of this thread - I had to reconsider (not interested in purchasing two licenses for a game I'll play on one system - lol) ...

I love this whole concept tho of a public beta period - it's gotta be really groundbreaking in the industry - and i particularly love the fact that the gamers will have a real stake in this part of the process - not limiting a beta version to a relatively small cadre of testers (relatively small vs the larger gaming community) will allow for an almost infinite amount of deeper testing, better bug squashing, feature development - and by gamers being able to input feedback - for them to at least feel - if not outright have - a sliver of 'ownership' in the final product. This is absolutely brilliant and I must say I'm enjoying seeing how this is unfolding.

I also fully appreciate the absolute, 100% up-front forthright approach the developers (Jeff, Sebastian, and everyone working on this project) are taking - they're not sugar coating anything - telling it exactly like it is - not withholding information and keeping all of us informed. The Mac readiness and Mac license transfer issues being a good example of the EXCELLENT communication on Jeff's part. It's really nice to see that in the marketplace nowadays!

Wishing everyone on this outstanding project only the very best for abundant success!!
Yeah, I would not have purchased it if the license wouldn't have transferred- which is why the Twitter crew said they would take care of me should it not transfer (transfer my license to the Mac version). So now I can enjoy the beta and not have to worry about purchasing it twice
Old 03-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #7
Jason
Hall Of Famer

Well, I was very excited until I saw this thread. I'll see if I'm still interested come September.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

Oh, believe me, I'm interested - just would rather buy once and not have to worry about whether a license will transfer or if I need to get any help with getting it to transfer. i'll gladly wait - plus, I'm figuring whatever bugs get squashed in the PC testing will already be squashed when the game is ported over for Mac OS. So hopefully the initial build for Mac should be a more polished, more stable version than the initial builds that are being tested on PC systems beginning now.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
flannigan
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
We also can't promise that a license purchased now will work on a Mac later (it's likely, but definitely not certain), so the safest route will be holding off on buying the game if you only have access to a Mac.
****, wish I read this before jumping in and buying the game ..
Old 03-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #10
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flannigan View Post
****, wish I read this before jumping in and buying the game ..

I hear ya - I held off on jumping in (partly because I figured today would be a zoo - and partly because there hadn't been confirmation of Mac-related details 'til Jeff posted this - once I saw it I slammed on the brakes!!) -- am very glad now I did.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
Coker
Bat Boy

For the record, I'm running it on Wineskin and it seems to be working fine.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #12
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coker View Post
For the record, I'm running it on Wineskin and it seems to be working fine.
Good to know - still, i'm holding off 'til an actual Mac beta is released - I'm not a big fan of the Windows emulators - prefer to run programs in Mac OS-native format - I've just had a lot more success with OS-native software running correctly - and have found Wineskin, Bootcamp etc., while functional, to not be without a few glitches here and there. Plus - since I have absolutely no intention of running the application permanently in a Windows emulator (which if I were going to run the PC version permanently, I'd just install it on my PC and be done with it) - and not knowing whether the license key would transfer - and having no intention of purchasing two licenses - I'd far rather wait, buy once, run it in a Mac-native environment and have far fewer concerns over "will this work or not" just to have it "now".

Last edited by Probert24; 03-05-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #13
sth0009
Minors (Single A)

Am running FHM on the MAC using Crossover. The install was straight forward and I have run about a month into my first game.

No problems to this point.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth0009 View Post
Am running FHM on the MAC using Crossover. The install was straight forward and I have run about a month into my first game.

No problems to this point.
Good to know it's pretty stable in an emulator.

Just curious - in the event the game license for the PC version does not transfer to the Mac - are you planning to stick with the Windows version in Crossover or buy a second license to run it Mac-native?

I'd be curious to know what many Mac users are planning to do - would tend to think the camp is probably pretty evenly split on that one.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #15
turakm
Bat Boy

ill be grabbing this whenever you get the mac version up!
Always played the iphone version of ootp but I have barely any baseball knowledge.
Being a huge hockey guy, I can't wait.
I hope you guys get this over to the iphone one day too!

GO RANGERS
Old 03-06-2013, 12:26 PM   #16
sth0009
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Probert24 View Post
Good to know it's pretty stable in an emulator.

Just curious - in the event the game license for the PC version does not transfer to the Mac - are you planning to stick with the Windows version in Crossover or buy a second license to run it Mac-native?

I'd be curious to know what many Mac users are planning to do - would tend to think the camp is probably pretty evenly split on that one.
As i do with OOTP, i put one license on a windows device and one on a MAC. That way if my wife is using the MAC, which she usually does, i can move to the PC; it is good to have options.

If the MAC version is slow in coming I am seeing no issue running it in crossover on the MAC. I do run bootcamp on the MAC for other things but prefer to be able to play on the MAC side since i do most of my work there.

I also have a copy of Parallels, on the MAC. I have many windows Apps i run there. I got Crossover recently and have migrated a few Apps there. Crossover seems to use less resources than parallels.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:30 PM   #17
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sth0009 View Post
As i do with OOTP, i put one license on a windows device and one on a MAC. That way if my wife is using the MAC, which she usually does, i can move to the PC; it is good to have options.

If the MAC version is slow in coming I am seeing no issue running it in crossover on the MAC. I do run bootcamp on the MAC for other things but prefer to be able to play on the MAC side since i do most of my work there.

I also have a copy of Parallels, on the MAC. I have many windows Apps i run there. I got Crossover recently and have migrated a few Apps there. Crossover seems to use less resources than parallels.

Now - did you receive two distinct licenses for OOTP - or did you have to purchase two licenses? I'm unfamiliar with how this all would work - I have OOTP but only for the Mac. (happily, my wife has her own laptop PC - and I have desktop PCs, a MacBook Pro and a Mac mini (I use the mini for most of the games i have on Mac) ...

Not a huge fan of the emulators but I do have Wineskin and have tried out one or two of the other ones. Am just more a fan of running an application on its native platform - PC software on the PCs - Mac software on the Mac. I've had fewer issues doing that over the years.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
highheat42
Minors (Double A)

Purchased a windows license anyways, but hoping that it will be cross platform, if not,well glad i got that raise.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #19
Probert24
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by highheat42 View Post
Purchased a windows license anyways, but hoping that it will be cross platform, if not,well glad i got that raise.

hopefully the license will transfer for you! I also just got some extra $$ - but I can't justify wasting money by buying twice that which, with a little patience, I only need to purchase once. If I was planning to play on a Windows machine, that'd be one thing - but since I'm planning to play only on the Mac -- and since the developer cannot guarantee the license key will transfer from one platform to the other -- it's definitely worth the wait.

Last edited by Probert24; 03-07-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #20
Hockey13Playa
Hall Of Famer

I would love LOVE to play and help contribute too improving this game! But I, like others, are nervous to purchase and play using parallels then not be able to use the same license on my MAC. I wish we could get a guarantee it would work... If so they'd have my money already