Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 09-23-2003, 11:35 PM   #1
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Bigtime busts and vise versa

One prime example. I have a 5 star player that has stats through the roof. If there was 6 star players he would be one. 2nd season in a row he's batting in the 240's with under 10 homeruns. He is currently being replaced by a 1 star part time player with a .370 AVG after about 170 AB........I play out all of my games and i'v seen this happen from time to time. What I find great about this is if and when OOTP goes to H2H online play I will not be able to pawn this 12.1 Million dollar player off to anyone like i will do in my solo league.

The advantage to playing out all of the games is you actually see the personalities of each player. It's hard to explain but there is such A thing as a good .250 batter and a bad .250 batter.

Now I know you can't see that in a sim league. But do sim league's produce such busts?
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 12:07 AM   #2
kingcharlesxii
Hall Of Famer

My league is a sim league and I've seen lots of guys like that. I've seen a guy with a 7 in hits be a career .240ish hitter and a guy with a 3 in hits hit over .300 for several seasons in a row. With pitchers, I've seen a lot of 5 star guys have a 5 era while my now washed-up but still future HOF pitcher with a 0 in AR and 2 in AH go 9-9 with a 4.00 ERA. It's half the reason why I love this game so much!
kingcharlesxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 01:03 AM   #3
dangarion
All Star Reserve

Yes they do. I did some fun stuff just to play around and made 2 players each of my buddy and myself with brilliants all over the place 1 pitcher and 1 batter each for us.

3 of them developed into full time major leaguers
2 were what I consider good/great
1 was fair/average
and one of the hitters was just hideous he ended with maybe 300 at-bats in his career

But I'm talking more about player developement

As for your question I've seen players in sims do poorly even with good abilities and skills.
dangarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:17 AM   #4
dumrox
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
The advantage to playing out all of the games is you actually see the personalities of each player. It's hard to explain but there is such A thing as a good .250 batter and a bad .250 batter.
Heh, too true. I have a couple guys who may be batting .280, but I groan when they come up in a critical situation. Then I've got a few others whose stats are no better, but I feel like there's hope when they step up to the plate. I think early season stats and performance in a few memorable situations cloud my impartiality. Not that it's a bad thing. Gives life to the game.
dumrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:26 AM   #5
andjbock
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by dumrox
Heh, too true. I have a couple guys who may be batting .280, but I groan when they come up in a critical situation. Then I've got a few others whose stats are no better, but I feel like there's hope when they step up to the plate. I think early season stats and performance in a few memorable situations cloud my impartiality. Not that it's a bad thing. Gives life to the game.

just the opposite for me i have a guy who is hitting 240 but something like 500 as a pinch hitter
andjbock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:41 AM   #6
scprideandms
All Star Starter

http://www.nwbl.homeip.net/Baseball/NW/p876.html

15th overall pick in 1988 (now 1992) and has never "developed" (as a ball player that is....

If you keep on doing what you've always done you'll keep on gitting what you've always gotten.
scprideandms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 11:59 AM   #7
ctorg
Global Moderator

I've had so many busts like that, and so many inexplicably good players too. I love that this happens.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 12:05 PM   #8
scprideandms
All Star Starter

Since my team sucks that Hooters is on, she (along with a bunch of 23/24 yr olds) is gonna get a shot in bigs as a grand experiment!!!

If you keep on doing what you've always done you'll keep on gitting what you've always gotten.
Old 09-24-2003, 12:54 PM   #9
thbroman
All Star Reserve

Yeah, and just wait. If the promised godies in OOTP6 come to pass, we'll all be spending big bucks to sign those worthless 5-star rookies to fat contracts!!
Won't THAT cause the head to burn and the nostrils to flare!
thbroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 01:01 PM   #10
Gastric ReFlux
Hall Of Famer

Game 7 of the World Series, top of 53rd inning, scoreless games, my team loads the bases, and I call for the suicide squeeze. Zack Zoll delivers and I go on to win.

Bigtime bunt, best I've ever seen.
Gastric ReFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2003, 02:15 PM   #11
KurtBevacqua
Hall Of Famer

Re: Bigtime busts and vise versa

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragnar
For me it was my RF, Mike Vannater. He was a 5/5/5 rating, perrennial .240-.250 hitter, with normal clutch rating. Yet the guy always managed to get 80+RBIs while batting 6th in the lineup. He was a machine with men on base. Always one of my top 2 GWRBI guys on the team. He was also a B range RF with an A arm. I always considered him my best all around player on that team.
KurtBevacqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 02:13 PM   #12
BadVlad
Minors (Single A)

Just for the record, "vise versa" of "Bigtime Busts" would be "Busttime Bigs".

Just for the record...
BadVlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 02:47 PM   #13
ctorg
Global Moderator

I initially thought this thread was going to be about bra sizes and was going to suggest that it be moved to OT, but it actually does involve the game, so I guess it should stay.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 02:48 PM   #14
scprideandms
All Star Starter

Busttime Bigs, hmmm sounds like a good nickname for Hooters Galore

Old 09-25-2003, 03:45 PM   #15
Woodchuck
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally posted by scprideandms
http://www.nwbl.homeip.net/Baseball/NW/p876.html

15th overall pick in 1988 (now 1992) and has never "developed" (as a ball player that is....
"Injured on 4/3/1991 with a Strained Rib Cage Muscle, out for one week..."

No surprise here.
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote