Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - New to the Game?

OOTP 19 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 07-26-2018, 05:20 AM   #1
siddharth
Minors (Single A)

Salary cap question

1.How do u determine what the Salary cap should be ?

2. Is this the right salary cap for 1946 for a league with AAA should i raise it or lower it

3. I found this salary cap calculator here in the forums but I don't know what this lg Highest budget.

Last edited by siddharth; 07-26-2018 at 02:56 PM.
siddharth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
cheo25
All Star Reserve

I think I have always taken the average player's salary for a given year, multiplied it by 25, and then rounded up to the nearest million.

I'll be honest: I've always just kind of attacked it as just a shot in the dark.
cheo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheo25 View Post
I think I have always taken the average player's salary for a given year, multiplied it by 25, and then rounded up to the nearest million.

I'll be honest: I've always just kind of attacked it as just a shot in the dark.
I would probably do something like this too. But I would DEFINITELY do some simming with this.

For example, set it to $500k like you did. Then save your league and back it up. Then be a commissioner and let the game sim for 10 years. Then take a look at the league. Are there tons of great FAs sitting out there because no one has cap space to sign them? Does the league history look competitive? Then throw away that version of the game and go back to your backup. Tweak the value as necessary, rinse and repeat.

I say this because you don't want to pick a number, then play two seasons and realize it screwed up the competitive balance in your game. It's worth a little time up front to get something like that right.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:05 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

first year would be a bit harder, because the estimates for revenues will be terrible.

you can look over and see min/max payrolls and make an informed decision about where to draw that arbitrary line in the sand (cap).

you shouldn't have too much issue with FA. it may make extension funky if out of balance, though. they'll ask for too much in extensions and initial FA demand, then drop down to normal levels. that too may have been fixed or at least less extreme in last couple releases.

the salary cap in my experience seems to set the tone for player demands... assuming enough revenue in league to match the appropriate salary cap used. e.g. i use 250M and the ai never pays more then ~35M/year. if i take the cap off, it goes up to 40-45+m with very similar financial environement. (nearly ceterus paribus but not quite)

i would think about what you want to accomplish with the cap. if it's to control prices, set it near or a bit above the most revenue the largest markets size can make in a very successuful year. it won't constrict but should set tone for payroll -- proportional to settings for the various qualites of players and $-value.

if you want to clip it off somewhere, look at the various market sizes at the top... or how it relates to the bottom etc.... what you want to accomplish will dictate how you use it.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #5
siddharth
Minors (Single A)

what about this salary cap calculator I found in this forum .But I cant figure out whats it means by
LG. HIGHEST BUDGET
LG. Mid BUDGET
Lg Low budget
Attached Files
File Type: xls CAPNSALARYCRUNCH.xls (21.5 KB, 74 views)
siddharth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

looks like tried to use interest to guage min / mid / max budget per a market size?

look for high/mid/low that is similar to yours if you want to use that estimate. i really am not sure what you can accomplish from this spreadsheet.

the idea is sound though. each market size will have a range of possible max payrolls due to fan interest, gate revenue etc etc the revenue that varies due to success. you'd have to gather data points of a large market, mid and small to know what kind of revenue they will likely make... which will then help you set a salary cap relative to your league. i.e. at each market size fan loyalty 3-5-10 and interest 30-50-100 or whatever... 9 different combinations or just look at extremes, which should be enough for a salary cap guess.

all you have to do is decide what you want done.... look at numbers and set the cap appropriately.

do you want to truncate the highest markets a bit? then make sure you set cap below their max salary.

do you want to severely hamper the richer teams? drop it even lower.

if you want a stock car-like experience, you need to even out all the revenues... then a cap is mostly arbitrary to use.

some stuff in game can help you guage what you want to be done

-Financials Report

-in Front Office, one of the optional window tiles will show you league average payroll.

all the information you need is there... may want to do 1 series of data points for the largest market in your league... fan interest=100, loyalty=100, see what media revenues jumps to... see what gate revenue will be etc etc. add it up and you'll see their ~max payroll they cna afford (revenue minus ~30 to 35M on default... can't help you in 1946, but you could add up baselines for that stuff and have a good estimate.)

in the end, i think you are overthinking this. look at existing payrolls, make a decisions from what you see. make a backup... test it. if no problems keep on playing, otherwise revert. be conservative at first then you can adjust. figure a lag upto as long as "max length" contract for league turnover on new financial rules dictating contracts... make a change and it can take upto 10 years to fully turnover league under those guidelines for salaries to 100% see the ramification. (not that oddities can't exist otherwise)

Last edited by NoOne; 07-27-2018 at 02:22 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote