Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-25-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
John McGraw
Minors (Single A)

AI Cheats or Does it Predict?

Two issues:

I'm managing the Washington Nationals. Bryce Harper dropped from .486 to .215 after 10 games. Then during one game, the flame icon pops up next to his name. He was hitting about .250.

In the next 5 games, he won Player of the Week, hit 4 homers and drove in 11 runs, AFTER the flame icon. Prediction or Pre-determined outcome?

Next, Nationals winning in the 9th 4-2. I have a relief pitcher in. He walks two. No outs. I try bringing in my closer, once, twice, three times, and each time he does not enter the game. I pitch using the reliever to keep the action going and I cross my fingers. He walks two runs home and hits a batter. I lose the game without giving up a hit.

AI Cheats?
John McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #2
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Oh, it's the annual AI cheats thread.

/grabs popcorn
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:51 PM   #3
John McGraw
Minors (Single A)

Nope, not complaining.

Just asking, in a provocative way, if this is typical. Does the AI predict a player's performance and are there ways manual players cannot make changes.

Not looking for an argument, just wondering.
John McGraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:56 PM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

No and no. In the second case, you did something wrong. Impossible for anyone else to know what it was.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
Reggie
Major Leagues

The AI cheats. One time I was the Mets and won the World Series in game seven. When I clicked leave game OOTP crashed to the desk top (version 18). The last game wasn't saved so I simmed game 7 and lost. Of course the game didn't crash that time.
Reggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:01 PM   #6
drksd4848
All Star Starter

The only thing I can say - and this may or may not apply to this case - is to carefully watch real MLB (although I can't without vomiting). You see that things in real life that are not that far off from OOTP.

Let me put it another way: think of all the weird things that have happened through out the history of real major league baseball. Imagine if they happened in OOTP? We'd all say it was a bug, or the AI was cheating, no?

The other thing is this: if you see a player going on an un-real hot streak, or a game ends in a way that "seems" predetermined, crash it and try again. You'll get a very different outcome.

(BTW, I always notice the flame pops up after a player has had a couple of good games. Not at the end of a miserable slump.
drksd4848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:06 PM   #7
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
The AI cheats. One time I was the Mets and won the World Series in game seven. When I clicked leave game OOTP crashed to the desk top (version 18). The last game wasn't saved so I simmed game 7 and lost. Of course the game didn't crash that time.
The Mets have replaced the Cubs as the team that is not allowed to win the World Series in OOTP....it's hard coded....
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
D-BacksJosh
Banned

my favorite is when the AI pinch hits with a guy off the bench who's ratings are all on in the red and an average below the mendoza line... and he proceeds to hit a walk-off homerun against my all-star closer... Now how would it know to do that, cheating bastard!
D-BacksJosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 04:47 PM   #9
Scott Vibert
Hall Of Famer

The flame icon only appears after a certain level of short-term performance, indicating the player is on a hot streak. In this case the batter gained 40 points on his average over X games, so it would seem he was having some good games prior to getting the icon. In the end he's a highly rated player, a big week and some big numbers should be expected, particularly over a short interval.
Scott Vibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:19 PM   #10
Whoofe
All Star Reserve

is the AI using Apple watches?
Whoofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:30 PM   #11
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Vibert View Post
The flame icon only appears after a certain level of short-term performance, indicating the player is on a hot streak. In this case the batter gained 40 points on his average over X games, so it would seem he was having some good games prior to getting the icon. In the end he's a highly rated player, a big week and some big numbers should be expected, particularly over a short interval.
I've seen good players go 7-10 days hot, then cool off but not slump and then get hot again. For the OP see "The Book" by Tango et al for info on hot and cold streaks.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:07 PM   #12
Will_L
All Star Reserve

I get the "x" player on my team hits 3 home runs in a game and gets hurt for 3-4 months immediately afterward.
Will_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:10 PM   #13
Qeltar
Major Leagues

Lots of small sample sizes and confirmation bias kicking around this thread.
Qeltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #14
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Thank you!
There is someone else who believes that the AI still CHEATS!

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 08:01 PM   #15
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
AI is artificial, so how can it cheat?
Just saying...Think About It
BB
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 09:12 PM   #16
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:47 PM   #17
rjl518
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
There is NO crying in OOTP Baseball!

"Colon looking for his 1st hit of the year and he DRIVES ONE! Deep left field! Back goes Upton! Back near the wall! ITS OUTTA HERE!!! Bartolo has done it!!! THE IMPOSSIBLE HAS HAPPENED!!! This is one of the great moments in the history of baseball! Bartolo Colon has gone deep!" ---Gary Cohen. (May 7, 2016) (Petco Park) NYM 6 @ SD 3
rjl518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #18
Qeltar
Major Leagues

I have a guy who was absolutely tearing up the league until recently. Now he can't buy a hit.

He's 4 for his last 29.

It's frustrating and it FEELS like somehow the game is cheating, but this is very much part of baseball.
Qeltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #19
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I have had so many of those moments when I become (almost) completely convinced that the game is rigged, that the outcome has been preordained and I have no chance no matter what I or my team does (I particularly get this feeling in the post-season.) And then I just have to calmly talk myself down off the ledge of paranoia.

One way I comfort myself is by seeing how many of the developers, by the evidence of this forum, play the game all the time themselves. And I figure, well, they wouldn't really create a game that would cheat against them, would they?
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:16 PM   #20
Noone_Uknow
Minors (Single A)

**Places tongue firmly in cheek**

Of course the game cheats, but not in the way you'd originally think...Here are some examples I've uncovered of how the game has cheated. Please note, these are examples of the game cheating and not me making mistakes :

* If I have an early morning meeting and want to try and play a game before going to bed, the game knows this and the game I'm playing will go into extra innings. The number of innings is directly proportionate to the importance of the morning meeting...

* If you trade or sign for an Iron Man veteran, they will get injured within 2 weeks of being acquired

* If you trade a middle of the road prospect (or, even worse - leave them unprotected at the Rule V draft), that player will become the next Bryce Harper/Mike Trout and proceed to dominate your league, while the solid contributor you picked up will struggle to the point where you want to cut them

* If one of your players is on a hot streak, it will end when they come up in the 9th inning with the bases loaded of a playoff game when your team is down by 1 run with 1 out. (Pre-scripted for a double play!)

* If one of the players on the other team is on a cold streak, it will end if you are in contention, usually at moments that most hurt your team

**Removed tongue from cheek**

The games doesn't cheat, although I am not convinced there aren't OOTP Gods the same way there are Baseball Gods
Noone_Uknow is offline   Reply With Quote