Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 Online Leagues

OOTP 19 Online Leagues Want to create or join an OOTP 19 online league? This is the right forum for you.

Old 03-23-2018, 06:47 PM   #1
Fronzizzle
Minors (Double A)

Can someone explain to a dummy how online leagues work?

Hello all,

OOTP 19 is the third version of the game I've owned (the first since 16, I think). I always play solo, but I'm interested in joining an online league now.

Before blindly joining one, though, I'd like to get some information on what that means, exactly. I wouldn't want to join a league without knowing what sort of time commitment is required - and I wouldn't want to join a league without being able to give it the attention necessary because I don't think that's fair to the other owners. Years ago, I used to play in an online football league and we had about 20 dedicated owners and about 100 people that cycled through the rest of the teams and it was always frustrating.

Anyway, I'm sure it has at least a bit to do with how the league is structured but if someone can run down for me what an online league typically entails I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Mike
Fronzizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:32 PM   #2
Jwalk100
Minors (Single A)

Online leagues all play the same way.

STEP 1: The commish will set you up with a league file and your team access. You will download the league file and use the password he gives you to access your team.

STEP 2: You sign into your team and make lineup changes etc for the next sim day.

STEP 3: You will export your team to the league server.

STEP 4: The commish will pull all the exports from the server on sim day and run the sim on his computer.

STEP 5: The commish will upload reports to statslab, ootpu or stats+, whichever your league uses.

STEP 6: Commish will upload file to the server.

STEP 7: You download from server and go back to STEP 2.

You will do this over and over and over again until a season is complete. Some leagues require exports and forum attendance. Some require more such as voting or writing. It is great fun and more of a challenge than simming alone at home.

Last edited by Jwalk100; 03-23-2018 at 08:33 PM.
Jwalk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:01 PM   #3
TrendyDelta
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwalk100 View Post
Online leagues all play the same way.

STEP 1: The commish will set you up with a league file and your team access. You will download the league file and use the password he gives you to access your team.

STEP 2: You sign into your team and make lineup changes etc for the next sim day.

STEP 3: You will export your team to the league server.

STEP 4: The commish will pull all the exports from the server on sim day and run the sim on his computer.

STEP 5: The commish will upload reports to statslab, ootpu or stats+, whichever your league uses.

STEP 6: Commish will upload file to the server.

STEP 7: You download from server and go back to STEP 2.

You will do this over and over and over again until a season is complete. Some leagues require exports and forum attendance. Some require more such as voting or writing. It is great fun and more of a challenge than simming alone at home.

Thanks for the help, this is great! Can you expand a bit on step 5? I've seen a lot of leagues stating they use one of these three options, but I don't understand how to access these tools or whether they're even necessary. A quick google search for each yields some confusing results.

Thanks in advance!
TrendyDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 01:04 PM   #4
Winnipeg59
All Star Starter

I appreciate it is a huge leap into the unknown (we have ALL been there), but one of the best ideas might be to find an established (only because of the track record - and that said, many of the established leagues may still be riding out seasons in 18 before converting, so if you also have 18 JUMP IN TOO) online league that seems to match how you want to play and jump in. While it can be intimidating initially, you will learn an awful lot very quickly.

Just be careful about trading away your entire team. Online is very different, given humans!

Ask a TON of questions. The leagues usually have several great GM's that will guide you.

And stick around!

Last edited by Winnipeg59; 03-24-2018 at 01:06 PM.
Winnipeg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 04:28 PM   #5
Jwalk100
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendyDelta View Post
Thanks for the help, this is great! Can you expand a bit on step 5? I've seen a lot of leagues stating they use one of these three options, but I don't understand how to access these tools or whether they're even necessary. A quick google search for each yields some confusing results.

Thanks in advance!
You will be given a link usually with a password in some cases to login. Stats+ uses facebook or slack sign in. Stats+ is great for the stats geek. You can get lost in there for days. Some leagues will draft or vote for awards in these tools.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:16 PM   #6
tward13
All Star Starter

Try to find a league with an established commissioner running it. They're ready to help you get going and have already answered any questions you can come up with.

Decide what kind of league you'd like. Starting in 2018 with current rosters? A historical league that began some time in MLB past? A fictional league that may or may not have the same structure as MLB and may not use real MLB players.

Also determine what you like from solo leagues. Coaches? Scouting, rating scale? Etc.

As for time commitment. There are leagues that sim 3-4 times a week, each weekday, every day.

The time working on your team, uploading and downloading is no more that playing solo. The extra time commitment is being part of that league's community. Using a forum, or slack to communicate with the other teams, working out trades, maybe some friendly trash talk. Some check in a couple times a day, others seem to live on their league board.

Things like stats+, slack, etc are additional features of the league that are generally free to league members. You get a password to a website and can view stats, draft players, vote on awards, etc.

Some league are bare bones, others have all the bells an whistles. And it doesn't necessarily mean one is better than another.

Try an established league, ask questions, see what you like. I think most people end up in more than one league. I'm in 3 and am waiting for a 4th to start.

Let us know what your preferences are and people here can point you towards some leagues.

For the most part the only monetary commitment will be to buy the new version of the game each year. But I do anyway.

Last edited by tward13; 03-24-2018 at 05:17 PM.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote