Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

General Discussions Discuss Out of the Park Developments' games, web site, downloads, research and anything else related to OOTP Developments.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:13 AM   #81
GunnyB
Minors (Triple A)

Earl Weaver baseball and Baseball Mogul most of the time.
Truth is I have Earl Weaver game somewhere in my the house.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:41 PM   #82
jabba
Bat Boy

Bases Loaded and Baseball Stars on the NES ( wow that was awhile ago) RBI baseball before those two. La Russa '95 was the first video game that has realistic stats and could play out a 162 games season, which I did twice. After that it was the mediocre Triple Play 96' and Gold, neither had realistic game play over a full season which made me not play them after a few games into a season. I had to wait until High heat 2001 until I had a realistic simulation that would sim for decades and still be playable. I wasnt playing HH on controller though, just the franchise text sim. After that it was OOTP 6.
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #83
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
In Order:

Atari2600 Baseball
Matell Handheld Baseball
Hardball on Commodore
Bases Loaded on NES
Hardball 4-6 on PC
OOTP
WOOT! hardball on commodore! (if memory servers jsut red vs blue teams? may have had names i just remember the colors and the players always being the same?)

i can't recall if i had a baseball game on atari but hardball definitely was before bases loaded on nes... the catcher on the red team with teh .180's BA was a killer! (probably a false memory of what i 'wanted' at the time, lol)

i think i had earl weaver on c64? that could have beena 80286 pc, too. but it wasn't a action sports game... so i returned it (at that age was too boring if i didn't get to play the games, lol)

was there an RBI baseball on nes? bah, i had hardball too. RBI Baseball may hav preceeded it on NES.

i think it was Bases Loaded - certain pitchers could throw high-inside (or a particular location) and pretty much throw near no-hitters every time out. have a sub1.00 era.. (had to calculate the stuff by-hand for multiple season, it didn't keep track of something... so i had to)

Last edited by NoOne; 06-03-2017 at 02:11 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #84
sissonjj
Bat Boy

As a Kid

I played a lot of MLB the SHOW.

Also, can someone send me a link to download jerseys? I can't seem to find any to download.
sissonjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #85
ForeverRoyalKC
All Star Starter

Way back in the 80's, me and a friend of mine drove a small video store owner nuts! We would ask if RBI Baseball II for Nintendo was in ALL the time. If it was, we would have him hold it 'til we could get there. Then when someone else had it, we would wait the allotted time that someone could have it and then call immediately to see if it came in yet once the time was up and it was due to be returned!
ForeverRoyalKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:13 PM   #86
DawnBTVS
Major Leagues

Going roughly by year. I think 1994, when I was about 9 is the earliest I remember although I know I was playing NFL/NHL games much earlier e.g. I still own Madden 1990 on NES so I likely played some baseball game. Roger Clemens' MVP Baseball in 1992 for the SNES definitely seems like one I would've played but I can't remember much about it in particular, same for the Tony La Russa Baseball in 1993.

1994: Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball for SNES, Tecmo Super Baseball for SNES, and World Series Baseball for Sega Genesis
1995: Super R.B.I. Baseball for SNES
1996: Ken Griffey Jr's Winning Run for SNES and World Series Baseball '96 for Sega Genesis
1997: Triple Play 98 for PS1
1998: Triple Play 99 for PS1
1999: Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest for N64 and Triple Play 2000 for PS1

Last edited by DawnBTVS; 07-03-2017 at 06:16 PM.
DawnBTVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:17 AM   #87
Scott Vibert
Hall Of Famer

If not outside playing baseball, wiffleball or some other variant for real.

1.) A dice game of my own development with my baseball cards and probabilities derived from the stats frequency of different hit types that I found in a Sports magazine's baseball preview
--various computer/video games, plus Starting Lineup Pro Baseball (cartridge/stat based)--
2.) 1971 Sports Illustrated baseball game (got it from a friend, still have the team sheets/dice, but nothing else)
3.) Strat-o-Matic (1994-strike shortened season)
4.) FPS Baseball Pro
5.) Baseball Mogul
6.) OOTP 3 and so-on
Scott Vibert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #88
Mariner and Giants Fan
All Star Starter

Just think how much shorter this thread would be if he had said PC based video games only! I played very few console baseball games as I thought they were so very unrealistic and more like exercises in dexterity not management or real simulations. I do not even remember them though my sons did play a few in the 80's and 90's. Now my grandson plays them and they are much much better on the stat based side. Still nothing compares with what I was looking for when I played APBA and Statis-Pro back in the 70's. I remember being so excited when my APBA game would arrive in the mail! The first one I received was in 1973 and I played them until the 80's. Then I got into Earl Weaver, Tony LaRussa and Micro League of course all on the PC before getting into my early favorite baseball simulation Pursue The Pennant (1987) and later Diamond Mind Baseball for the PC. Then I discovered Season Ticket Baseball the first version of OOTPB that I played around 2000. I also gave Baseball Mogul a try but it was rather lame.
When I was young I so wanted to play out the MLB seasons but keeping the stats was so time consuming that I never was able to. Then I was with DMB/PTP but I really wanted to be the GM and have the other teams also have an AI GM and thus OOTP filled my needs and desires in baseball sims perfectly. I still play some DMB for the pure replay value but OOTPB has the accountant/basbeall stats fan hooked and satisfied.
I just purchased "Smart Baseball: The Story Behind the Old Stats That Are Ruining the Game, the New Ones That Are Running It, and the Right Way to Think About Baseball" to get a better understanding of the Sabermatrics new age of stats as I was really raised in the old school stats and need to better understand the new age ones to really appreciate OOTP and todays MLB players and GMs. Has anyone else read this book yet? I sometimes like to edit the players to matchup with how they are doing in the current season, such as Yankees slugger Judge for example. However, I need a fuller understanding of the modern day stats to really appreciate how to make these edits/changes. I am looking forward to receiving the book on Tuesday while I am still on vacation and to read it while restarting the 2017 season!
Old 07-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #89
bdvorak11
Bat Boy

MicroLeague Baseball. Used to write out the box scores and manually compile the stats until they finally released a stat complier disk. Also played Triple Play on the PS1.
bdvorak11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #90
Colt_Justice
Bat Boy

Last edited by Colt_Justice; 07-05-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Colt_Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #91
Brian Phillips
Bat Boy

When I was a kid, I first played Gil Hodge's Pennant Fever. Then my cousin turned me on to APBA, which his father handed down to him. I was hooked on that for years, and still am.
I just bought OOTP 18. I really like it, but I still like throwing dice. But there is so much more you can do with OOTP, so I guess I'll just go back and forth. Hard to break very old habits. lol
Brian Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:57 AM   #92
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleb View Post
Yup!
loved that game

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #93
IanIachimoe
All Star Starter

IanIachimoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #94
BoomsdayDevice
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I'm old. Off the top of my head.......

RBI Baseball
Bases Loaded
Tommy Lasorda Baseball
Tony La Russa Baseball
Bo Jackson Baseball
World Series Baseball '95
Triple Play
“[Baseball] breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall all alone." ~ A. Bartlett Giamatti

Last edited by BoomsdayDevice; 07-17-2017 at 02:01 PM. Reason: forgot one
BoomsdayDevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #95
alkeiper
Minors (Single A)

MicroLeague Baseball (Commodore 64)
Major League Baseball (NES)- It had MLB trademarks, but wasn't endorsed by the MLBPA. It had numbers instead of names.
RBI Baseball (NES)
Tommy Lasorda Baseball (Genesis)
Tony LaRussa Baseball (PC)
Tony LaRussa Baseball 2 (PC)
Tony LaRussa Baseball 3 (PC)
MLB '98-'99 (Playstation)
Triple Play Baseball (Playstation)
MVP Baseball (PS2)
NCAA Baseball 2006(PS2)
MLB The Show 2007-11 (PS2)
Baseball Mogul 2003 (PC)

I've bought various iterations of OOTP beginning with version 6.

Tony LaRussa Baseball 2 is my all time favorite because you could essentially create your own league and players, and it had all of the classic stadiums.
alkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 10:06 PM   #96
kingtut313
Minors (Double A)

I remember that I had this Pulsonic baseball game from the 70's that my mom gave me. There was even a flap at the top that opened up for someone else to pitch to you!

Then I really got into RBI Baseball. I used to play season after season, creating dozens of line-ups for my team on notebook paper, rotating guys.

Ken Griffey Jr for N64 was really good too. I remember a lot of kids in the neighborhood had the game and we would set up tournaments to determine the best player in the area. Good times.