Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 10-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
tward13
All Star Starter

Historical sims

In trying to decide which season to start with I was wondering what happens in the 40s. Do player just disappear for the war for 2-3 years then come back to their teams?

Or if I start from 1931 will players just stay with their teams as if nothing happened?

I'm a Rangers fan and I'm wondering what happens after the team good enough to win the Cup in 1940 and contend another couple years is decimated and becomes an 8 - 11 win team after the war.

I'm tempted to start with the first 6 team league and build up that horrible Rangers post war team.

Also, with historical, do players start with their real team or is there a draft. That'll greatly affect that bad team.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 06:22 PM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

They'll stay with their teams right now. Once we get suspensions into the game, I may try to use that mechanic to handle guys leaving for the war, I've got a couple of ideas in that area.

You can set up the league either way, having the players appear on the first team that actually owned their rights, or by having them assigned via a draft.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:27 PM   #3
tward13
All Star Starter

Thanks for the reply. I like your thought process going forward.

Now one more question. If I start in say 1935-36 with two 4 team divisions, will those teams stay in the league or will they automatically fold? I kind of like the two 4 team divisions with the Maroons and Americans
Old 10-03-2015, 12:31 AM   #4
mking55
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR View Post
They'll stay with their teams right now. Once we get suspensions into the game, I may try to use that mechanic to handle guys leaving for the war, I've got a couple of ideas in that area.

You can set up the league either way, having the players appear on the first team that actually owned their rights, or by having them assigned via a draft.
My viewpoint, for what it's worth, is if you have guys leave for the war, make it an option. I know it's more "realistic" if they go, but many players prefer a "what-if" scenario.

The baseball game keeps the players through the war years and even though I might have missed it, I've never heard anyone complain about that.

I don't think people buy these games for a "strict" replay but rather to create a fantasy world with what-if's in it.
mking55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:01 AM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mking55 View Post
My viewpoint, for what it's worth, is if you have guys leave for the war, make it an option. I know it's more "realistic" if they go, but many players prefer a "what-if" scenario.

The baseball game keeps the players through the war years and even though I might have missed it, I've never heard anyone complain about that.

I don't think people buy these games for a "strict" replay but rather to create a fantasy world with what-if's in it.
Yeah, it'd definitely be optional. And there are other little details to consider, like taking Canadian players away two years before Americans go, and whether or not to make it random or take the guys who actually served. It'll be a while before I figure it out and we get it in, and there are prerequisites - the suspension system - that need to happen first.

The problem with letting everybody keep playing hockey vs. baseball is that hockey scoring stats went crazy in the war years because of the loss of talent and uneven distribution of the remaining good players. So if the big stars that missed those years actually play, they tend to get huge scoring totals in that environment that look a little odd in their history and can wind up setting single-season records that don't get broken for a long time (which actually happened, the goal record set in wartime stood for 20 years and the points record for 8 postwar, but it gets even more exaggerated in the game.)
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #6
mking55
All Star Starter

Good point about the high point total. I was amazed when I first learned about Rocket Richard's 5 goal night against the Maple Leafs. When I found out many years later that it happened in 1944 during the war, I was disappointed. I felt it diminished his brilliance a touch.
mking55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
tward13
All Star Starter

Good thoughts both ways on the war years, but now what about the 8 teams?
Old 10-03-2015, 09:50 PM   #8
tward13
All Star Starter

Anyone have an answer on this?
Old 10-03-2015, 10:08 PM   #9
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

You have to restart your Historical Sims because it says invaled Datebase with New Patch.
Also no Unsigned Prospects show when you start a Historical Sim.
Old 10-03-2015, 11:22 PM   #10
tward13
All Star Starter

Restart it? When? Why?

I'm in my first season 1935-36 when will it fail?
Old 10-03-2015, 11:45 PM   #11
Duranium
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I like your thought process going forward.

Now one more question. If I start in say 1935-36 with two 4 team divisions, will those teams stay in the league or will they automatically fold? I kind of like the two 4 team divisions with the Maroons and Americans
The teams in FHM2 will fold in the year they folded in real life, so you can play the Maroons until 1938, the Amerks until 1942 and so on.

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote