Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > iOOTP Baseball > iOOTP - General Discussions

iOOTP - General Discussions Talk about iOOTP Baseball, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad

Old 11-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
hunterm726
Bat Boy

Bug

I've encountered this bug a few times, but I'm still not exactly sure what happens. Basically, the game will start with a bunch of runs already on the board, possibly the same score as the previous game. The box score ends up being normal, but the end result and scoreboard are affected by this. Also, my team ends up with an extra game played every time this happens, so I keep ending the season with 163 or 164 games played.

Here's a screenshot. As you can see, the Tigers only have 6 hits in the box score, but 15 on the scoreboard.

Like I said, I never know when this will happen until the game starts, so it's hard to tell what conditions are causing it, and some of the details of what happens. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll update this when I encounter the bug again.
hunterm726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterm726 View Post
I've encountered this bug a few times, but I'm still not exactly sure what happens. Basically, the game will start with a bunch of runs already on the board, possibly the same score as the previous game. The box score ends up being normal, but the end result and scoreboard are affected by this. Also, my team ends up with an extra game played every time this happens, so I keep ending the season with 163 or 164 games played.

Here's a screenshot. As you can see, the Tigers only have 6 hits in the box score, but 15 on the scoreboard.

<snip>

Like I said, I never know when this will happen until the game starts, so it's hard to tell what conditions are causing it, and some of the details of what happens. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll update this when I encounter the bug again.
This is the same bug as was reported in http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...r-get-one.html. I've run across it twice so far and, as I noted in that forum posting, the second time caused me to lose the pennant.

I really, really hope that the developers can fix this. I have plenty of screenshots if it will help at all but I haven't heard anything from anyone yet.
IAmC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
McGuiser
Major Leagues

I believe that this has happened to me when I shut the iPad cover (turning off the iPad2) in the middle of a game. This does not happen if I use the home button first to leave the game. I suggest you also check at the end of the season to see if your team played 163 games, not 162.
McGuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:13 AM   #4
JimmySamual
Bat Boy

No Haven't faced it yet,but would liek to know the solution may be it can happen with me in the future.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

This one is very tough to find, I never had it occur in 2011 or 2012.

Here is what I will do:

I will start a new thread were we can summarize all open bugs and I will try to fix them for 2013 (and maybe even put out another 2012 bugfix update).
Old 12-05-2012, 11:41 PM   #6
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
This one is very tough to find, I never had it occur in 2011 or 2012.

Here is what I will do:

I will start a new thread were we can summarize all open bugs and I will try to fix them for 2013 (and maybe even put out another 2012 bugfix update).
I've been trying to reliably duplicate the bug (seeing that it appears that I'm the only person that it's happened twice to) unsuccessfully. From my two times, it appears that it's happened in high-scoring games (might be a coincidence but I think that one other report had that be true as well) and it's first detectable if your starting pitcher is the same one as in your previous game.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 PM   #7
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuiser View Post
I believe that this has happened to me when I shut the iPad cover (turning off the iPad2) in the middle of a game. This does not happen if I use the home button first to leave the game. I suggest you also check at the end of the season to see if your team played 163 games, not 162.
Both times that it happened to me, it happened on my iPhone 4S.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
IAmC
Major Leagues

This bug happened to me again, this time in iOOTP13. This time, the previous game was scheduled to be pitched by a suspended pitcher. I brought in a MR to pitch the game and it went smoothly. The game saved and exited. When I restarted, it again suggested that I use the suspended pitcher. I exited playing that particular game and I reorganized the rotation to take him out of it. Starting up the game again chose the correct pitcher. When the game started up, the score was 9-4 (this time, I was winning!). Interestingly enough, the score of the previous game was NOT 9-4.

As a wild guess, I wonder if the bug is related to the pitching rotation. The other times that it's happened to me (and I can't believe that it's happened to me three times and rarely anyone else), it's entirely possible that I did something minor with the rotation that triggered the bug but wasn't notable enough to remember.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #9
IAmC
Major Leagues

This bug (where a game starts with an initial score in the line score and in the official score but not in the player stats) has happened to me again.

In the fifth inning, the score was 5-3 for me, even though I had scored 3 and the other team had scored 0. The line score had me scoring 3 in the 4th and 1 in the 5th (totalling 4, not 5) and the other team scoring 1 in the 1st and 2 in the 2nd. I had 13 hits in the line score and 5 when totalling the player stats. The other team had 7 hits in the line score and 2 when totalling the player stats. The pitcher stats matched the batter stats and were correct.

The previous game was won by me 3-2 in extra innings. The hits were 10 to 5 in my favor. I scored 2 in the 4th and 1 in the 11th. They scored 1 in the 2nd and 1 in the 5th.

As it turned out, I lost the corrupted game by one run. Again.

If this bug is ever found, I would very much appreciate knowing what the cause was and, especially, what the trigger was. As a software designer, I love the challenge of debugging obscure bugs :-).
Old 01-16-2014, 12:58 AM   #10
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterm726 View Post

I had this bug happen again. This time, though, I was able to predict the problem BEFORE it happened. Unfortunately, I had to go into the game in order to verify it but here's the scenario:
  • It was the third game after the All-Star break. I lost the first two games against the best team in the league (I was the second best team in the league, leading the East division), the second one by 10-0.
  • I played the third game. I remembered thinking that this wasn't going to be good for me, as I was starting Frank Tanana, a decent but not spectacular starter, against their pitcher (Mario Soto) who was 14-3 with an ERA under 2. Well, I won! And I think it may have been 5-3, but I'm not sure. But I remember that I knocked their ace out of the game in about the fifth inning while my starter went further.
  • I remember checking the Schedule in the Manage Team screen and seeing the three games (two losses followed by the one win).
  • I don't know if I saved the game (but the game seems to save itself constantly). I don't know if I advanced to the next day.
  • I did other stuff in other apps for a few hours.
  • I restarted iOOTP.
  • I went to play a game. I noticed that the starters were the same guys who started my game earlier in the day! So, I thought that I might be running across the bug mentioned in this thread.
  • I backed out of the game before the first pitch.
  • I went to the Schedule in the Manage Team screen. My third game (the one I won with Frank Tanana) was gone!
  • I restarted my iPhone.
  • I reentered iOOTP.
  • The Schedule was still missing my third game.
  • I went into the game. Frank Tanana and Mario Soto were still the starters.
  • Well, I figured that I was doomed to restart the game. So I threw the first pitch. I was ahead by 1 run. This may have been the same score as the now-lost game but I have no way of verifying.
  • Tanana lasted one inning before being exhausted.
  • In a large injustice, Soto was able to go 8 innings of 1 run ball!
  • I lost 8-7, having to deplete my bullpen.
  • In looking at the line score, it showed 8 runs for my opponent while I scored 7 runs.
  • In looking at the pitching results, my opponent only gave up 1 run and I only gave up 3 (enough to lose). In looking at the batting results, the RBIs and Runs Scored agreed with the pitching results. Both of these reflected the actual play of the game I just played (where I had to yank my starter after 1 inning).
I have screenshots, as usual, to back this up.

Adding another twist, I took a look at other screenshots that I made when the bug happened in two other games. EVERY ONE OF THEM involved Frank Tanana!

Now, it's not just tied to Frank Tanana, since I had this bug happen in another game that didn't have him in the league. But this is just weird.

Developers, PLEASE tell me that this now gives you enough info to find the bug! Again, I am more than willing to help with this if it can't be duplicated on your end.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmC View Post
This bug (where a game starts with an initial score in the line score and in the official score but not in the player stats) has happened to me again.
If this bug is ever found, I would very much appreciate knowing what the cause was and, especially, what the trigger was. As a software designer, I love the challenge of debugging obscure bugs :-).
Brad or Sebastian,
Can either of you tell me if this particular bug was found and squashed in iOOTP14? I've started one league in iOOTP14 specifically so I can try to find a reliable way of duplicating it but will stop if you've already fixed it. I had it happen to me in iOOTP13 a few weeks ago again...
Old 07-14-2014, 11:35 PM   #12
IAmC
Major Leagues

Quote:
Brad or Sebastian,
Can either of you tell me if this particular bug was found and squashed in iOOTP14? I've started one league in iOOTP14 specifically so I can try to find a reliable way of duplicating it but will stop if you've already fixed it. I had it happen to me in iOOTP13 a few weeks ago again...
To refresh your memory, "this particular bug" is having a game start with the score of the previous game, which has disappeared from the calendar, and my starting pitcher exhausted (but the other pitcher not exhausted).

I can confirm that this does happen with iOOTP14. The affected game ended up as a 13-8 loss. However, looking at the pitching lines, the other team only had 3 runs scored against them. The remaining 5 unaccounted for runs? They were from the 5-0 win that I had just finished, with Anthony Young (my starting pitcher) going 8 innings and being lifted when tired.

If I had to guess, I would say it has to do with invalid data in a save file not being cleared out appropriately. But it still is present in iOOTP14.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 03-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #13
manutebol
Bat Boy

Playing my first season with Iootp14 , this bug happened to me. Playing an 8 team fictional league about 40 games in. Won an 11 inning game. Next time I started the game I was confused seeing the same game in progress. Quick played it and won in 9 innings this time. Only the last box score shows up in my schedule but my team and my opponent in that game now both have 1 more game played than the other 6 teams.
Took awhile searching the forum to find this thread, but disappointed that there doesn't appear to be any fix to this , or at least no mention of it here
manutebol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #14
manutebol
Bat Boy

I'm really disappointed that there's been no reply to this bug. I was looking forward to playing the new version , but I've now tried iootp11 and 14 and have had 2 bugs effect the seasons I'm playing. In 11 it was career ending as the game became stuck on an in game injury. Now I've got this bug which affects the standings and stats and it seems it has happened to others. So bad....
manutebol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:02 PM   #15
ricealum
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
I had this bug happen again. [snip] here's the scenario:
  • I don't know if I saved the game (but the game seems to save itself constantly). I don't know if I advanced to the next day.
  • I did other stuff in other apps for a few hours.
  • I restarted iOOTP.
I don't know if this will help -- I've never seen this particular scenario, although I have had some seasons that went well over 162 games. But I see one thing to think about -- your assertion that the game saves itself. It does, sort of, but it's really easy to quit without saving. I do this occasionally to avoid a serious, even career ending, injury, or to make sure my team beats a team I really hate.

Try this some time when you're not too worried about losing something:
  1. Double click the home button to bring up the app switcher
  2. Swipe up to slide iOOTP off the top of the screen (force quitting it)
  3. Immediately tap on another app that uses a lot of memory, e.g. Mail, Netflix, or Bleacher Report
  4. Switch to another app or go to the home screen -- the idea is to use a bunch of memory quickly, before iOOTP can save itself.
  5. Start iOOTP again and continue the game

In my experience, about 80-90% of the time, you are back at the point of the last save. YMMV -- success rate will likely depend on how new your device is (how much RAM it has) and how quickly you can make it launch one or more apps.

Perhaps something similar is happening to you? Perhaps always saving before exiting the app will prevent this?
ricealum is offline   Reply With Quote