Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:27 PM   #81
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

I'm most interested in Assenmacher, Worrell, and Kenneth Walker, who has the stuff but lacks the control. My goal for the bullpen this year is to develop those top-line arms into decent MLB middle relievers capable of being late-innings horses by 1987.
The_Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:57 PM   #82
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

March 4, 1985

Our first spring game is today against the Cubs.

Game 1985-ST-1: Jack Russell Stadium - Cubs 7, Phillies 2 / 0-1

Three runs in four innings for Kelly Downs, as the kids get the first run through the rotation. Jeff Stone doubles.

March 5, 1985

Game 1985-ST-2: Osceola County Stadium - Phillies 4, Astros 3 / 1-1

Glenn Wilson homers. John McLarnan puts up a stinker, giving up a three-run Curtis Burke home run in the ninth.

March 6, 1985

Game 1985-ST-3: Jack Russell Stadium - Phillies 5, Pirates 4 / 2-1

Not the best start to Donnie Moore’s spring (0.2 IP, 4 H, 1 BB, 3 ER). Joe Johnson pitches well (4.0 IP, 5 H, 1 ER), while Bobby Brown smashes a home run. Paul Molitor adds two hits.

Jamie Easterly now says the Brewers have a better offer out there. We go with an option of $240K after the minor league deal.

March 7, 1985

Game 1985-ST-4: Al Lopez Field - Phillies 6, Reds 4 / 3-1

Paul Assenmacher has a hard time in the ninth; meanwhile, Rip Rollins tosses two scoreless. Bobby Brown doubles.

March 8, 1985

Game 1985-ST-5: Jack Russell Stadium - Braves 1, Phillies 0 / 3-2

A single run in the second is all the Braves need, while we only get two hits off Atlanta. Three strikeouts in 1.1 innings from Don Carman.

March 9, 1985

The MLB rotation joins in to start building up their counts.

Game 1985-ST-6: Al Lang Field - Phillies 3, Cardinals 2 / 4-2

Mike Schmidt gets going with a double and a homer. Jeff Stone walks twice and swipes two bags. Steve Carlton goes four strong, and Rich Gaynor guts through two. Kelly Downs gets in an inning of relief and pitches well (2 K).

Meanwhile, Jamie Easterly signed. He immediately heads to Clearwater, and to counter, we send Steve Witt to minor league camp.

March 10, 1985

Game 1985-ST-7: Jack Russell Stadium - Giants 3, Phillies 2 / 4-3

Jamie Easterly gets three innings at the end of the game, and he only allows a walk. Jeff Stone with two hits - he keeps rolling.

March 11, 1985

Game 1985-ST-8: Al Lang Field - Mets 2, Phillies 0 / 4-4

Darryl Strawberry’s two-run double off Charles Hudson is the game. Meanwhile, Tug McGraw injures his hamstring and will sit a few days.

March 12, 1985

Game 1985-ST-9: Jack Russell Stadium - Padres 5, Phillies 2 / 4-5

Not a great day for Kevin Gross or Bill Campbell, but two more hits for Jeff Stone, plus Mike Diaz’s first spring home run. Also, another injury: Rip Rollins is down with forearm soreness - a few days.

March 13, 1985

Off to Vero Beach, Dodgertown, to meet Blue.

Game 1985-ST-10: Holman Stadium - Dodgers 12, Phillies 7 / 4-6

Scott Sanderson allows five runs in the first three, then Bob Long surrenders five in 1.2 IP. Mike LaValliere collects two doubles, while Paul Molitor gets two hits of his own.

March 14, 1985

Game 1985-ST-11: Jack Russell Stadium - Expos 2, Phillies 1 / 4-7

Just a couple hits in this one as John McLarnan gives up both runs in the sixth.

March 15, 1985

Game 1985-ST-12: Payne Park - Phillies 6, Cubs 1 / 5-7

Good pitching from just about everyone today (John Denny, Joe Johnson, Kenneth Walker, Jamie Easterly). Paul Molitor hits his first spring home run, while Glenn Wilson collects two singles.

March 16, 1985

Off day. Starting to cycle out players who don’t need playing time anymore this spring. Still undecided with the last few spots on the 25-man roster.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:59 PM   #83
progen
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Bats are starting to come around. Weren't scoring much early on, but it is spring training. Like your format, and you prove that a dynasty doesn't have to have a bunch of pictures with it(standings, players faces, etc.) At least for me, not something that I need. The writing is the key, and you're doing an excellent job there. Like the side notes, and info you give, not just stats.
progen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 11:19 PM   #84
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

March 17, 1985

Game 1985-ST-13: Jack Russell Stadium - Astros 4, Phillies 2 / 5-8

Our annual St. Patrick’s Day Game is a blown win. Jeff Stone with two hits a steal and Von Hayes with a homer, but Rip Rollins and Pete Falcone do us dirty. Stone is up to .360 now and might have to be considered for a more prominent role in Philadelphia.

Also, RP Chuck Cary was severely burned by hot water at his spring training apartment. Don’t want to know. He’s out for a week, and his chances at making the 25-man are compromised.

March 18, 1985

Game 1985-ST-14: McKechnie Field - Pirates 4, Phillies 1 / 5-9

I forgot what losing felt like for a moment. Seriously, though, Karl Best has a poor outing, while Steve Jeltz collects two hits.

March 19, 1985

Game 1985-ST-15: Jack Russell Stadium - Phillies 9, Reds 4 / 6-9

A nice win, as we overcome a 3-0 deficit to take it. Scott Sanderson is not pitching too well (7 IP, 10.29 ERA), but hopefully he’ll settle in. Don Carman is having a great spring (3.2 IP, 0.00 ERA, 6 K, 0 BB). Bill Lyons hits two doubles in this game, and with two hits, Darren Daulton is up to … .077? Woof.

March 20, 1985

Game 1985-ST-16: West Palm Beach Municipal Stadium - Braves 5, Phillies 4 / 6-10

Steve Carlton allows five runs in the third inning. Otherwise, a nearly perfect game. Chris James goes 2-for-3.

March 21, 1985

Game 1985-ST-17: Jack Russell Stadium - Cardinals 7, Phillies 6 / 6-11

Jamie Easterly blows up in this one. Glenn Wilson hits his team-leading second homer; he’s now at .375/.375/.625, a good sign, I suppose.

March 22, 1985

Game 1985-ST-18: Payne Park - Giants 4, Phillies 2 / 6-12

Wouldn’t mind winning a game now. Mike Diaz hits his second homer, while Bill Campbell gives up two runs late. Sweet.

March 23, 1985

Game 1985-ST-19: Jack Russell Stadium - Mets 9, Phillies 2 / 6-13

It’s a Dwight Gooden game, so yeah. It also happens to be a Ben Hayes and Rich Gaynor game, so yeah. But Glenn Wilson homers again, so that’s nice.

March 24, 1985

Game 1985-ST-20: Payne Park - Padres 1, Phillies 0 / 6-14

Ah, the old spring training two-hitter. Not much else to say here.

March 25, 1985

Game 1985-ST-21: Jack Russell Stadium - Dodgers 4, Phillies 3 / 6-15

Orel Hershiser came into this game with a spring ERA over 7.00, and that went down here. Two hits for Bruce Fields in this one, and two hits for Steve Jeltz, as well.

March 26, 1985

Game 1985-ST-22: West Palm Beach Municipal Stadium - Expos 10, Phillies 2 / 6-16

Alright, at some point we have to win something. John Denny only goes two, giving up seven runs - not great, John. Three scoreless innings from Bob Long somehow lowers his ERA to just 7.94. Jeff Stone triple alert, and three hits from Von Hayes.

As for the roster, I haven’t sent anyone down to the minors yet (seemingly no team is doing this right now), but I’ve internally reassigned a bunch of players. We have five pitchers vying for one to two bullpen spots (Kenneth Walker, Todd Worrell, Paul Assenmacher, Karl Best, and Jamie Easterly), and we’re not quite sure about the bench, but we’re thinking Jeff Stone, Mike Diaz, and Tommy Thompson have locked up spots. There are two, maybe three spots still open, and we still have too many competitors.

March 27, 1985

Game 1985-ST-23: Jack Russell Stadium - Phillies 3, Cubs 2 / 7-16

Finally, a win! A good start by Charles Hudson, who looks ready for 1985 with one spring start to go. Glenn Wilson tripled; he’s hitting .308 this spring, maintaining his spot in our starting lineup, it seems.

Meantime, the Yankees propose to us a trade: CF Randy Salava for 2B Rex Hudler. Interesting offer. Hudler plays a variety of positions (2B, 3B, SS, RF) and has outstanding speed (70). The problem is Salava is really my only center fielder in AAA. Anyway, I don’t really need Hudler, as I have both Steve Kiefer and Greg Legg to fill the multi-position infielder role at that level.

March 28, 1985

Game 1985-ST-24: Osceola County Stadium - Phillies 3, Astros 1 / 8-16

Bill Campbell can’t seem to go an inning without surrendering a run, so that worries me a bit. Otherwise a good pitching effort, with Kenneth Walker putting himself in pole position for a bullpen spot (1.59 ERA). Juan Samuel collects two hits, and Paul Molitor and Jeff Stone each walk twice.

March 29, 1985

Cut day.

SP Tim Belcher reassigned to minor league camp
SP Joe Johnson reassigned to minor league camp
SP Mike Maddux reassigned to minor league camp
SP Curt Young reassigned to minor league camp
RP Bob Long reassigned to minor league camp
RP Rip Rollins reassigned to minor league camp
C Mike LaValliere reassigned to minor league camp
1B Francisco Melendez reassigned to minor league camp
3B Rick Schu reassigned to minor league camp
CF Luis Polonia reassigned to minor league camp

The Braves lose Terry Leach for the season, so I look into deals involving one of my extra relievers. Atlanta doesn’t want to give up much - forget it.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:26 PM   #85
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

March 30, 1985

Game 1985-ST-25: Jack Russell Stadium - Phillies 5, Pirates 1 / 9-16

First good start of spring for Scott Sanderson, which is just in time, as it’s his last tune-up before the season. Mike Diaz slams his third spring home run in this one.

March 31, 1985

Game 1985-ST-26: Al Lopez Field - Reds 5, Phillies 0 / 9-17

Ugh, another two-hitter. Steve Carlton allows three runs in his final spring start.

Second round of cuts:

RP Pete Falcone reassigned to minor league camp
RP Rich Gaynor reassigned to minor league camp
RP Ben Hayes reassigned to minor league camp
RP John McLarnan reassigned to minor league camp
C Milt May reassigned to minor league camp
LF Alan Bannister reassigned to minor league camp
LF Bobby Brown reassigned to minor league camp
CF Larry Harlow reassigned to minor league camp
RF Jay Erdahl reassigned to minor league camp
RF Joe Lefebvre reassigned to minor league camp

Lefebvre is the big name here, going from opening day 1984 starter to spring training 1985 cut. He just didn’t have it, hitting under .200 and being outpaced by a number of younger players.

April 1, 1985

Game 1985-ST-27: Jack Russell Stadium - Phillies 5, Braves 4 / 10-17

Karl Best seals his fate by giving up three runs in an inning, while Kelly Downs has really improved in a big way (he’s at 2.92 this spring after some relief appearances). In a four-run eighth, Dave Concepcion and Glenn Wilson double, and Bruce Fields homers. Fields (.429) is angling for a bench spot.

April 2, 1985

Game 1985-ST-28: Al Lang Field - Phillies 7, Cardinals 2 / 11-17

Another four-run eighth, this time off former one-time signing Joe Cowley, and it’s a cool moment: a Dave Concepcion grand slam. Kenneth Walker (7.2 IP, 1.17 ERA, 6 K, 2 BB) has probably secured his bullpen spot.

April 3, 1985

Game 1985-ST-29: Jack Russell Stadium - Giants 5, Phillies 1 / 11-18

Kevin Gross ends his spring with a dud, finishing with a 4.50 ERA. Todd Worrell pitches well, ending a solid spring (8 IP, 1.13 ERA, 7 K, 5 BB), and I imagine he’s pretty close to the majors now.

Meanwhile, the White Sox lose closer Ron Reed for the season. Tough loss. So I swoop in:

TRADE

To Chicago White Sox

Jamie Easterly - RP

To Philadelphia Phillies

Pat Adams - 1B
$125,000 cash

Adams, 25, is a power-hitting first baseman who is an AA- to AAA-level player right now. He’s decent, but this is more about the money. Plus, I got Easterly for nothing (he has a major league option). Yes, he’s a good pitcher, but my depth is youth now.

April 4, 1985

Last spring game of the year.

Game 1985-ST-30: Al Lang Field - Phillies 3, Mets 2 / 12-18

Not the worst team this spring, but heh, close. The Angels (20-10) and Expos (19-11) have the top records. Cool. As for the game, a good start for Scott Sanderson, Bruce Fields collects two hits, and Glenn Wilson finishes probably the best spring of any of our hitters. He goes .326/.367/.587 with 3 HR, 10 RBI, 3 BB, 6 K.

April 5, 1985

So let’s go over the team. Here’s who is staying:
  • C/1B - Darren Daulton - 49/67
  • C/1B/2B/3B - Tommy Thompson - 34/38
  • 1B/3B - Mike Schmidt - 61/61
  • 2B - Juan Samuel - 48/48
  • 3B - Paul Molitor - 51/55
  • SS/3B/2B - UL Washington - 39/39
  • C/1B/3B/RF - Mike Diaz - 46/46
  • LF/1B/RF/CF - Von Hayes - 52/58
  • CF/RF/LF - Dave Stegman - 39/39
  • RF/LF - Glenn Wilson - 43/43

That leaves three, maybe four spots open for the offense.
  • SP - Steve Carlton - 53/53
  • SP - John Denny - 56/56
  • SP - Charles Hudson - 52/52
  • SP - Kevin Gross - 49/49
  • SP - Scott Sanderson - 48/48
  • RP - Larry Andersen - 55/55
  • RP - Bill Campbell - 56/56
  • RP - Donnie Moore - 50/50
  • RP - Don Carman - 49/49
  • RP - Tug McGraw - 42/42

And that leaves one or two spots here.

Offensively, here’s who is on the shortlist:
  • 2B/1B/3B/SS - Steve Kiefer - 46 PA, .136/.174/.182, 1 XBH, 2 BB, 14 K
  • 2B/3B/SS - Luis Aguayo - 25 PA, .125/.160/.167, 0 XBH, 1 BB, 7 K
  • 3B/CF/1B/2B/SS - Bill Lyons - 51 PA, .190/.333/.310, 5 XBH, 8 BB, 6 K
  • 3B/SS - Dave Concepcion - 32 PA, .207/.281/.414, 4 XBH, 3 BB, 6 K, 1 SB
  • SS/2B - Steve Jeltz - 73 PA, .179/.370/.196, 1 XBH, 17 BB, 10 K
  • LF/RF/CF - Jeff Stone - 69 PA, .233/.319/.317, 3 XBH, 8 BB, 12 K, 4 SB
  • LF/CF - Bruce Fields - 26 PA, .381/.500/.524, 1 XBH, 4 BB, 2 K, 1 SB
  • LF/RF/CF - Billy Sample - 21 PA, .222/.333/.222, 0 XBH, 3 BB, 2 K

Not a great spring for the offense. Aguayo and Lyons are without options, so if either of them misses the cut, he’ll have to get through waivers. And Concepcion and Sample are on conditional deals, so if they don’t make it, I have 30 days to figure something out.

Before spring, and during much of spring, I was leaning toward keeping Lyons and Stone. I’m sure about the former, who can play multiple positions, and decently, while hitting relatively well. Stone is another question. I want him on the team, as he’s electric and has demonstrated an ability to play well in the majors and over spring training. But I also want him to play often, and he won’t get to perform every day if he’s in the majors (Hayes and Wilson have really locked up their spots).

Alternatively, I can go with Fields and Sample - who feel more like fourth and fifth outfielders anyway - and, if there’s an injury in my outfield, or I feel like I need a starter change by May or June, it’s Stone time, regardless of how he’s playing in Portland.

As for a fourth spot, I’m not sure. I’m leaning Aguayo because of the lack of an option, but I could also use a seven-man bullpen. Or not. Here’s the reliever shortlist:
  • RP - Tim Worrell - 8 IP, 1.13 ERA, 7 K, 5 BB, 2.58 FIP
  • RP - Terrence Walker - 7.2 IP, 1.17 ERA, 6 K, 2 BB, 2.42 FIP
  • RP - Paul Assenmacher - 7.1 IP, 4.91 ERA, 6 K, 4 BB, 3.61 FIP
  • RP - Chuck Cary - 7.1 IP, 3.68 ERA, 6 K, 7 BB, 5.79 FIP
  • RP - Arturo Gonzalez - 6.1 IP, 4.26 ERA, 5 K, 4 BB, 5.57 FIP
  • RP - Karl Best - 5.1 IP, 8.44 ERA, 4 K, 5 BB, 9.95 FIP

I like Walker most, but Worrell pitched well this spring. Heh.

In the end I’m going with Aguayo over the seventh reliever. And I’ll keep Stone in Portland, but only for now.
Old 09-19-2019, 12:52 AM   #86
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

April 6, 1985

We fly back to Philadelphia. The season begins in two days against the Braves. And Dick Howser names Steve Calrton opening day starter; it will be Lefty’s 13th opening day start for the Phils, and his ninth consecutive.

April 7, 1985

The following moves bring the roster to 25:
  • SP Kelly Downs reassigned to AAA Portland
  • RP Paul Assenmacher reassigned to AAA Portland
  • RP Karl Best reassigned to AAA Portland
  • RP Chuck Cary reassigned to AAA Portland
  • RP Arturo Gonzalez reassigned to AAA Portland
  • RP Todd Worrell reassigned to AAA Portland
  • C Mike Martin reassigned to AAA Portland
  • 2B Steve Kiefer reassigned to AAA Portland
  • SS Dave Concepcion reassigned to AAA Portland
  • SS Steve Jeltz reassigned to AAA Portland
  • LF Chris James reassigned to AAA Portland
  • LF Larry Ray reassigned to AAA Portland
  • LF Jeff Stone reassigned to AAA Portland
  • 1B Mark Funderburk placed on irrevocable waivers

Funderburk, the story of last spring, has to go through waivers. No loss if he doesn’t make it.

Also, I released a bunch of players and put a couple more in extended spring training. Nothing too crazy here.

April 8, 1985

Opening day in some cities (Cincinnati, etc.), while tomorrow is our day.

The preseason predictions are out! The Sporting News has the Tigers winning the AL East with 102 wins, and the Red Sox, Yankees, and Blue Jays all within spitting distance. Meanwhile, it’s prognosticating a tight (and bad) AL West, with California, Kansas City, and Seattle all sitting at a leading 79 (!) wins.

In the NL West, the Dodgers are predicted to win out with 88 wins, while the upstart Padres finish in second with 84 victories. And then in the NL East, the Sporting News has the top three as so:

New York Mets - 98-64
Montreal Expos - 96-66
Philadelphia Phillies - 93-69

Wow! If we get to 90 wins, I’ll be ecstatic. I’m very surprised by this; also, I’m surprised by the defending champion Pirates being picked to only win 69 games. We’ll see. Looks out of whack, but either way, this excites me quite a bit.

And Baseball America has released its list of the the top-100 prospects. Our showing:

17. Gregg Jefferies - SS
64. Luis Polonia - CF
87. Kelly Downs - SP

That puts us back in 19th place - not good when my goal is “build a top-five farm system.” Of course, my deadline on that is 1987. Work to do. (Also, a number of my prospects graduated or just fell off with the addition of draftees.)

Dick Howser shared with me his opening day lineup. Here it is, and the rest of the roster:
  1. Von Hayes - LF
  2. Paul Molitor - 3B
  3. Juan Samuel - 2B
  4. Mike Schmidt - 1B
  5. Darren Daulton - C
  6. Glenn Wilson - RF
  7. UL Washington - SS
  8. Dave Stegman - CF
  9. Steve Carlton - SP

Bench: Tommy Thompson (C), Mike Diaz (1B/3B/RF/C), Luis Aguayo (2B/SS/3B), Bill Lyons (CF/1B/2B/3B/SS), Billy Sample (LF/RF), Bruce Fields (LF)

Starting Rotation: John Denny (SP), Charles Hudson (SP), Kevin Gross (SP), Scott Sanderson (SP)

Bullpen: Bill Campbell (RP), Larry Andersen (RP), Donnie Moore (RP), Don Carman (RP), Tug McGraw (RP), Kenneth Walker (RP)

No platoons to start. Diaz will get a few starts here and there, subbing in for Schmidt and Wilson primarily, and Molitor once in a while.

My expectation is to play around .500, if not a tad above. Eighty-five wins would be great; a surprise run that has us in contention going into September would also be great. I think the Mets are the best team in the division, but their youth hopefully will keep them from running away with the flag. I’m seeing something like last year, where three to four teams are in the race until September. I think we can be one of those teams.

If not, Bill Campbell and Tug McGraw will definitely be on the block, and I’d likely entertain trades for John Denny and Larry Andersen. Maybe even Steve Carlton. Mike Schmidt? Not sure yet. I hope I don’t get there.

Last edited by The_Myth; 09-19-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #87
progen
All Star Starter

Like the lineup. Should score some runs. According to the predictions, NL East is going to be tough. Good luck!!
Old 09-19-2019, 11:04 PM   #88
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Thanks!

To all: Thanks so far for following! I'm having a lot of fun simulating and writing it through.

I'll be out a few days, so I thought it may be cool right now to do a "press conference" before the 1985 season begins. If you have any questions about the 1984 or '85 Phillies, my offseason, or my sim in general, please ask here and I'll deliver the press conference where I answer your questions on Monday. (And if nobody asks any questions I'll just do my own press conference with fake questions.)

Then I'll continue with my 1985 season Tuesday.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:59 PM   #89
progen
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Myth View Post
Thanks!

To all: Thanks so far for following! I'm having a lot of fun simulating and writing it through.

I'll be out a few days, so I thought it may be cool right now to do a "press conference" before the 1985 season begins. If you have any questions about the 1984 or '85 Phillies, my offseason, or my sim in general, please ask here and I'll deliver the press conference where I answer your questions on Monday. (And if nobody asks any questions I'll just do my own press conference with fake questions.)

1. Coming out of spring training, relating to the players, were there any surprises that you weren't expecting when spring training started?

2. What was the hardest decision you had to make when it came to who made the ballclub, and who had to be sent down?
Old 09-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #90
splat58
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Thanks!

Do you plan to look for an upgrade in CF during the season?
splat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 11:04 AM   #91
Frithy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Thanks!

How do you think the team will handle the possible pressure of being "hyped" as a potential 93 win team?

How do you feel about the team defensively? Especially the right side of the infield with Schmidt at 1B and Samuel at 2B.
Frithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:34 PM   #92
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Since we're back in Philadelphia, I wanted to get the press corps together for a pre-opening-day press conference. It's 3 p.m., and members of the Philadelphia and national sports media have assembled to find out more about the 1985 Phillies.

GM: Afternoon everyone. Thanks for coming. Since we're a day from opening day, I wanted to just kind of put a bow on things and begin our regular season trek. So I'll open the floor to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frithy View Post
How do you think the team will handle the possible pressure of being "hyped" as a potential 93-win team?
GM: The great thing about this group is that it's a pretty diverse set, in terms of where they are in their individual evolutions as professionals.

We have rookies and near-rookies here, but then we have a whole host of guys who've played on pennant winners, world championship clubs, guys who've been around the block. We added Molitor, who was in the Series back in '82; UL, who's been there with KC; Sanderson was in the playoffs with Montreal; and Donnie Moore got there a couple years back with Atlanta. Then you add Dick to that ... he's been in the clubhouse, in the dugout, with those '78 Yankees, a couple playoff berths ... that alone, we're talking about experience being in contention, handling hype.

And they come in where there's Mike and Lefty, Denny, Tugger, even Von and Darren were there in '83. So I think the guys get it. They know every year is another chance, and hype may come with that. But these are even-keel, loose guys. And Dick has them under control pretty well. So I think they'll handle any expectation just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progen View Post
Coming out of spring training, relating to the players, were there any surprises that you weren't expecting when spring training started?
GM: If we're talking surprises with a capital "S," I'd say Bruce Fields really showed us something this spring. In games he was locked in, taking pitches, connecting with some liners. He wants it, and that's a reason we acquired him last deadline. He really wants to play and win.

And just to note, Glenn Wilson really stepped up. We're optimistic about him turning into a necessary run producer, someone who can back up Mike and the top of the order. He has real pop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Stark, Philadelphia Inquirer
The bullpen was pretty good last season, but without a true fireball ace in the back end. How confident are you going forward with Bill Campbell and possibly Larry Andersen?
GM: I suppose if we weren't confident we would've had someone else back there.

But seriously it's a strong group. No, we don't have anyone named Goose on this staff, but we have enough strong arms and if we need to add, we'll add. But ultimately I'm a proponent of having depth in relief options, finding what works, sticking with the hot hand. And we have a great young corps with Carman and Walker. We got Assenmacher and Worrell, Cary, Best, those guys in triple-A. Hopefully a fireballer emerges there. That's the goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progen View Post
What was the hardest decision you had to make when it came to who made the ball club, and who had to be sent down?
GM: They're all hard decisions, even the early ones, since you're telling a kid who's getting his first taste to head down and let that taste stay on the tip of his tongue so he wants to get back here as soon as possible.

But to say hardest ... of course, Stoney is someone we really battled about. He deserves a spot up here, but he needs regular playing time, and we're betting on Glenn-bo to deliver. Steggy's locked in at center, Von obviously in left. We'll see, but that was a hard one. Kid can play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Lyon, Philadelphia Inquirer
To you, who's the X-factor this year? Who's the guy who determines whether this is a playoff club?
GM: I don't know if one guy does that, Bill. If we're talking who's capable of moving the needle most, that's Mike. And he'd be the first to tell you he was unhappy with the campaign, that it wasn't anywhere near his ability, and yet he was still pretty good.

So is Mike the X-factor? I don't think so. I don't think a ballclub can have an X-factor. Maybe in basketball, but not here. Mike with his usual MVP-like season? That could move the needle for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frithy View Post
How do you feel about the team defensively? Especially the right side of the infield with Schmidt at first base and Samuel at second.
GM: Overall I think we'll be improved. UL is a solid shortstop; he'll make his errors, but he can get to the ball and make the tough plays. I really believe in Von improving in left, and a full year of Steggy helps.

With respect to the right side, Matsuzek was a solid defender at first, but Mike can hack it anywhere. He's a pro, he wants to be great everywhere, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's no fall-off there. And another year will only help Sammy. So I wouldn't say we're eight Ozzie Smiths out there behind the pitcher, but it's better than last year I think. We're getting there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wulf, Sports Illustrated
Speaking of Mike, can you elaborate on the dynamic between him and Paul Molitor?
GM: Big brother, kid brother. Both very similar in their desire to win and be the best. They're competitive - I know there have already been a couple Better Ball battles. Honestly, when we told Mike we were interested in Paul, he immediately signed onto it. He knew what it meant for him positionially, but he signed on right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat58 View Post
Do you plan to look for an upgrade in center field during the season?
GM: If we're contending and a position is suffering, yeah, I'll probably be on the lookout for improvements. But Steggy is mostly there for defense, holding that part down and batting deep in the order. If we're at a point where the offense is really poor, and the defense isn't so great that it renders the offense unnecessary, I think we could be looking for a guy with some pop. But again, that's if we're contending. We have boys in Portland ready to make some noise, so we'll be watching all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Stark, Philadelphia Inquirer
Do you think this is a 93-win team this season?
GM: Heh. I think we're better than last season, and I truly feel that last season, we were a better team than even the final record. So does that make us an 85, 90 win team? Does that put us over 90? I'm not sure.

But we're better. Good starting pitching, lots of depth in the bullpen, and in my opinion, a pretty solid offense. The division is good, and I imagine half the teams at least will be in it on September 1. Our goal is to be one of those three teams, and I think we got a better than 50 percent shot at it.

Alright, thank you everyone.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:38 PM   #93
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

April 9, 1985

Opening day!

Yesterday was a fun one. Don Mattingly took headlines by hitting for the cycle in a Yankees’ 7-2 rout of Boston. And, down 5-0, the Expos scored seven in the eighth to spoil the Reds’ annual opener.

Today is waiver wire day, with players from all corners available. The most interesting player is CF Jim Eisenreich, a 25-year-old who was with Minnesota but didn’t make the cut. He’s a 20/51 with superb contact and gap power potential. I put a claim on him (I’m debating keeping him on the MLB roster), and it’s accepted. We’ll see if it goes through.

Also, Garry Templeton is on waivers. I figure why not, and put in a claim that’s accepted for the moment.

Meanwhile, it’s time for the opener against Atlanta. Let’s play ball.

Game 1985-1: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 14, Braves 0 / 1-0

Talk about a way to start a season!

After Cannon Man is shot from home plate into a cushion in center field, we take over the festivities, and how.

Von Hayes leads it off with a home run and finishes 3-for-5, Mike Schmidt goes 3-for-4 including a monster homer, Paul Molitor adds two hits including a double, and UL Washington smacks two doubles of his own. Juan Samuel adds two hits, and Dave Stegman caps the day with a grand slam in the seventh. For his part, Steve Carlton strikes out seven and walks none in 8.2 strong. A beatdown, and an awesome show for the home fans.

April 10, 1985

Today’s the built-in opening-week off day. My Garry Templeton claim was ultimately rejected, as Houston claimed him. But my Jim Eisenreich claim went through, and better yet, he was already designated, so he can join my AAA Portland squad. He has no options after this, though.

Meanwhile, both Mark Funderburk and Arturo Gonzalez came back to me, but because of roster glut, I simply released them outright. Goodbye, Thunderburk.

April 11, 1985

Jim Rice smacked lifetime homer No. 300 in a 14-12 loss to the Yankees on Wednesday. Congrats to Jim.

Game 1985-2: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 6, Braves 0 / 2-0

In the short two-game series,we blank the Braves, 20-0, having as good a showing as possible. John Denny strikes out five and lets up just three hits (all singles) in a complete-game win of 97 pitches. Mike Schmidt hits homer No. 2 and drives in five, while Juan Samuel adds two hits and swipes his second bag of the season.

April 12, 1985

We head to Houston for our first road trip of the season.

Game 1985-3: Astrodome - Astros 2, Phillies 1 (12) / 2-1

The start of a narrative that might get chopped before it gets too long: Bill Campbell is handed a lead, and then …

Scoreless until the 11th, Glenn Wilson breaks through with a homer, but Campbell immediately gives it back with a Steve Garvey shot. In the 12th, the Astros get the win off Donnie Moore. Bad start for our bullpen. On the other hand, Charles Hudson goes 8.1 scoreless, though he walks four and strikes out only three.

April 13, 1985

First start against a lefty, and interestingly, Dick Howser puts UL Washington in the two-hole, while Paul Molitor heads to the five. Tommy Thompson gets his first start. Maybe Howser likes Washington’s lefty splits.

Game 1985-4: Astrodome - Phillies 6, Astros 3 / 3-1

Howser is right. UL Washington strokes three hits, including a triple and a home run, providing key offense from the two-hole. Glenn Wilson homers for the second consecutive game, driving in two. And while it’s a tough first inning for Kevin Gross (3 ER, 4 H), he buckles down to nearly throw a complete game, striking out five and walking none.

April 14, 1985

Scott Sanderson makes his Phils debut in the finale against Houston.

Game 1985-5: Astrodome - Phillies 3, Astros 1 (11) / 4-1

Another solid pitching performance, this time by Sanderson, who goes 8.1 while scattering seven hits and two walks. Donnie Moore and Bill Campbell redeem themselves in relief. As for how we win? Von Hayes swats a tying homer in the eighth against a terrific Mike Scott (8 IP, 1 ER, 6 H, 11 K, 1 BB), then in the 11th, after a Mike Schmidt double, the Astros elect to walk Darren Daulton intentionally to put the double play in order. But Glenn Wilson makes the ‘stros pay, banging a two-run double for the winning runs. Glenn-bo is happening!

Tonight, we learn that Mike Schmidt is the National League Player of the Week! He hit .444 in the first week of play, smashing two home runs and driving in six.

And the power rankings are in!

1. San Diego Padres - 4-1
2. Milwaukee Brewers - 4-1
3. PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES - 4-1
4. Detroit Tigers - 4-1
5. St. Louis Cardinals - 3-1

This feels good, even if it’s the only time all year we’re here. Time to head to Chicago.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:09 AM   #94
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

April 15, 1985

Game 1985-6: Wrigley Field - POSTPONED

A one-gate doubleheader has been set for Tuesday, starting at 11:30 a.m. We’ll sit Mike Schmidt in game one for Mike Diaz, then we’ll see what happens for game two.

April 16, 1985

Game 1985-6: Wrigley Field - Phillies 5, Cubs 1 / 5-1

Another solid pitching performance from Lefty, as he strikes out seven in 7.2 innings of one-run ball. He also hits a home run, as do Glenn Wilson and Von Hayes. With a left-hander on the hill for Chicago, UL Washington moves to the two-hole, and he adds two hits.

The game ends at just before 2:15, so first pitch for game two will be around 2:55. And we have about four hours to get it in.

For this late-afternoon game, Howser wants Bill Lyons to get a start, so he comes in for UL Washington. Meanwhile, Tommy Thompson subs Darren Daulton, who has yet to collect a hit this season.

Game 1985-7: Wrigley Field - Phillies 8, Cubs 6 / 6-1

Whew! First, a bone to pick with Dick Howser: John Denny goes just four, giving up five runs off eight hits. Then comes Tug McGraw, but Howser sticks with him for three innings, instead of turning to Don Carman or Kenneth Walker, who have yet to pitch this season. We’ll have to have a brief, functional chat.

That said, wow. Down to our last strike and down 6-5, Mike Schmidt strokes a two-run double to hand us the lead. This is all because of speed: Von Hayes singles, Paul Molitor guts out an infield single, and Juan Samuel hits a tailor-made double-play ball, but beats the throw to put two on for Schmidt. And because Sammy can fly, he scores from first on Schmidty’s double.

Then Glenn Wilson, who previously hit his fourth homer of the season, doubles Schmidt home. Wilson is hitting .333/.394/.867 with 4 HR and 10 RBI in the early going.

An awesome doubleheader sweep ending at 6:30 p.m., just before the sun creeps down at Wrigley.

April 17, 1985

We go up against 19-year-old pitcher Greg Maddux, making his second career start.

Game 1985-8: Wrigley Field - Phillies 14, Cubs 5 / 7-1

Yeah. Hell yeah. Mike Schmidt hits his third homer, a three-run blast, in the third. Juan Samuel has a four-hit day (and four-run day) that includes a triple and three stolen bases. Charles Hudson pitches a sterling seven, striking out five, while Kenneth Walker - who hadn’t pitched in two weeks - gives up three runs. I don’t blame him at all.

Heading into an off day with the Mets on tap, we’re 7-1, the best record in baseball. Wow.

April 18, 1985

On the off day, let’s take stock of what the hell is happening here. Eight games, yes, but an awesome run of eight games, at least offensively. As a team we’re hitting .279/.348/.497. Unsustainable, of course, but still, .279/.348/.497!

We lead the majors in stolen bases with 16, and 10 of them are by Juan Samuel, who has been caught just once. Sammy also has scored nine runs, but that’s second on the team to Von Hayes, who has crossed the plate 10 times in eight games. Hayes has a .385/.400/.744 line and is tied for the National League in home runs with four.

Mike Schmidt, of course, has been outstanding. He’s hitting an insane .520/.588/1.040 with 3 HR, 4 2B, and 15 RBI already, accumulating 1.1 WAR. Maybe the move to first base freed him up at the plate?

Getting consistent playing time, Glenn Wilson is tearing it up, hitting .303/.395/.788. He’s tied with Hayes for the NL lead at four homers, driving in 10 while also doubling four times. Newbie Paul Molitor has stepped right in: .306/.359/.361 with two doubles and six runs scored. UL Washington? Also not slowing: .367/.424/.633 with five extra-base hits and six runs scored.

The only poor performance at the plate is from Darren Daulton, who has started 0-for-20. Not great, and I may give him some additional time off just to collect himself. But he does have eight walks already (a .276 OBP with no hits is pretty damn astonishing).

The one piece of bad news is both Von Hayes and Paul Molitor are showing to be poor defenders so far. Hayes has committed two errors in left field, putting up a bad -0.8 ZR and .941 EFF, while Molitor has an error, plus a -0.3 ZR and .918 EFF. To his credit, Mike Schmidt has been terrific at first base (+1.0 ZR, 1.189 EFF), and Daulton has done everything else well (+1.1 ZR, a ridiculous 61.5 RTO%).

In short: The offense is firing on all cylinders, and regression will come, but I’m pretty happy with the defensive showing, and pitching has been pretty good.

April 19, 1985

A blow for the Mets, who lose Sid Fernandez with a ruptured finger tendon. Out for about three to four months. Meanwhile, we play New York. Dwight Gooden first. Goodie.

Game 1985-9: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 4, Mets 1 / 8-1

We solve Gooden by getting to him early. In the first, Paul Molitor doubles, then Juan Samuel triples, then Mike Schmidt homers. Glenn Wilson adds an insurance RBI later. Kevin Gross dances around trouble for six innings, giving up just one run despite 10 baserunners. Donnie Moore and Larry Andersen finish the deed cleanly.

April 20, 1985

Dick Howser gives Mike Diaz the start at catcher today, with Darren Daulton on an 0-fer. He might go with Tommy Thompson tomorrow.

Game 1985-10: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 5, Mets 0 / 9-1

This might just be the best 10-game stretch to start a season in Phillies history. What a complete effort today. A pitcher’s duel for six innings, with Ron Darling and Scott Sanderson trading barbs. Then in the seventh, Mike Schmidt reaches on an error, Mike Diaz singles him to third, and a Glenn Wilson groundout opens the scoring. Then UL Washington doubles to plate another. An inning later, it’s speed: Bruce Fields walks and steals second, then gets to third on a grounder and scores on an error. Schmidt and Wilson further make the Mets pay. This team is something so far.

Meanwhile at Milwaukee’s County Stadium, Texas’ Buddy Bell raps his 2,000th career hit. At just age 33, he might be able to close in on 3,000.

April 21, 1985

Bill Lyons gets the start in center field, while Tommy Thompson catches.

Game 1985-11: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 13, Mets 1 / 10-1

This is pretty incredible. We sweep the Mets by outscoring them 22-2 in three games. Mike Schmidt continues his torrid ways with his fifth home run of the season, going 3-for-4. Juan samuel (2-for-3) adds a homer, his first. UL Washington drives in four in a 2-for-5 day, and Paul Molitor picks up two hits. Steve Carlton throws a breezy eight innings. I’m stumped. We’re playing out of our minds.

Meanwhile around the league, this may be the year of the shutout. Tom Seaver, for the White Sox, blanks the Red Sox, while Orel Hershiser goes all nine and keeps the Padres off the board. It seems daily there are at least two shutouts.

As the night comes, we learn that - once again - Mike Schmidt has won National League Player of the Week honors. Hitting .526 over the week with 3 HR and 14 RBI, he’s now at a ridiculous .486/.553/1.000 for the season. That’s a 1.000 slugging percentage, by the way. Other season totals: 5 HR, 4 2B, 20 RBI and 13 R in 10 games. 1.5 WAR. 10 games. Schmidt leads the National League in AVG, HR, RBI, OBP, SLG, OPS, WAR, TB, ISO, OPS+, and wOBA. This is stunning. (Juan Samuel leads the league in 3B and SB, Glenn Wilson leads the league in 2B and XBH, and Von Hayes leads the league in R.

In the AL, Kevin Buckley of Texas wins Player of the Week honors by hitting .538 with 3 HR, 7 RBI, and 5 R.

Here are the power rankings:

1. PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES - 10-1
2. Los Angeles Dodgers - 9-4
3. Milwaukee Brewers - 7-3
4. Detroit Tigers - 7-3
5. St. Louis Cardinals - 7-3

How we rank in the National League:

1st - R, OPS, batWAR, wOBA, HR, SB, staERA
2nd - AVG, OBP, BR, RA
3rd - FIP, pitWAR, ZR
4th - bulERA
5th - EFF

Across the majors, our +59 run differential outpaces second place (Minnesota) by more than half (+27).
Old 09-27-2019, 12:12 PM   #95
progen
All Star Starter

Wow! Great start. On your way to 100 wins.
Old 09-27-2019, 11:42 PM   #96
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

April 22, 1985

Off to Montreal for three.

Game 1985-12: Olympic Stadium - Expos 2, Phillies 1 / 10-2

Bill Gullickson is wicked, striking out nine while surrendering six hits. Dave Stegman gets our one RBI, and good news, Darren Daulton finally notches a hit. John Denny pitches well in seven innings, but a two-run Gary Carter double is too much.

April 23, 1985

Game 1985-13: Olympic Stadium - Phillies 2, Expos 0 / 11-2

Charles Hudson, Donnie Moore, Larry Andersen, and Bill Campbell team up for a four-hit shutout of the Expos. Dave Stegman knocks a solo home run, while Mike schmidt stays hot with an RBI single in the third.

Over in San Diego, Bill Buckner racked up his 2,000th career hit in a 4-3 win over Atlanta, who is 1-12. Whoa.

April 24, 1985

Game 1985-14: Olympic Stadium - Expos 5, Phillies 4 / 11-3

We lose our first series, but not for a lack of trying. Mike Schmidt (2-for-3) socks his sixth home run to even the score at 4-4 in the eighth, but Don Carman gives up the go-ahead run in the bottom half. We’ve been a bit uneven in the bullpen, with Donnie Moore, Larry Andersen, and Bill Campbell getting too much work, and Carman not enough. I think today’s outcome proved he needs more work to stay fresh.

April 25, 1985

Off-day, so let’s check in for the first time with our farm system.

The AAA Portland Beavers are 6-2 on the early going, headlined by 3B Rick Schu (.406/.457/.656, 4 XBH, 7 RBI). Jeff Stone is doing his thing (.333/.378/.455, 3 XBH, 4 SB), and LF Chris James has been solid (.276/.364/.448, 3 XBH). On the mound, Mike Maddux has settled in (16.2 IP, 2.16 ERA, 7 K, 7 BB), and Kelly Downs has been acceptable (16 IP, 3.94 ERA, 7 K, 5 BB). The bullpen hasn’t had much work - only Paul Assenmacher (5.2 IP, 3.18 ERA, 8 K, 1 BB).

The AA Reading Phillies are 6-9. 1B Pat Adams, who we picked up in the Jamie Easterly trade, has been scorching hot (.368/.463/.667, 8 XBH, 11 K, 8 BB). LF Keith Hughes has also picked it up (.296/.387/.481, 9 XBH, 13 K, 7 BB) after a tough start in AA last year. William Jester has pitched well in his second stint in Reading (30.1 IP, 4.15 ERA, 17 K, 11 BB), but Tim Belcher has walked far too many (25 IP, 3.96 ERA, 9 K, 20 BB).

A Clearwater is 8-2, led by 2B Keith Miller (.385/.529/.564, 5 XBH, 3K, 12 BB). 3B Howard Nichols has three early home runs and a .735 slugging percentage, and CF Luis Polonia has kept right going (.304/.377/.435, 4 XBH, 6 K, 6 BB). Shawn Barton has been terrific on the mound (17 IP, 2.65 ERA, 15 K, 4 BB).

A Peninsula is 6-13. 1B Ronnie Gideon has been the top player out there (.304/.378/.658, 12 XBH, 23 RBI, 14 K, 10 BB), and LF Keith Ross has also stunned (.355/.481/.548, 7 XBH, 12 K, 15 BB). The only starter carrying the load right now is Kevin Coker, who has a 4.20 ERA, 20 K and 10 BB in 30 IP. 1984 first-round pick Pete J Smith has struggled (24 IP, 7.50 ERA, 12 K, 16 BB).

And A Spartanburg is 4-4, led by pitching. Offensively, only CF Scott Hufford has done well (.292/.485/.583, 3 XBH, 2 SB). 1985 second-round pick Blaise Ilsley has been superb (16.1 IP, 3.31 ERA, 18 K, 4 BB).

Meanwhile, Sixto Lezcano of the Cubs is on the waiver wire. Oof.

April 26, 1985

Speaking of the Cubs, they’re in town for three.

Got some bad news from Spartanburg: 22nd round pick David Blakley tore his flexor tendon. The elbow injury puts him out for the year, and probably a bit into 1986. At 21, this is a big setback for the reliever with a good fastball and curve. Really sucks.

And in the majors, Seattle pitcher Rick Waits has an elbow injury taking him out for 1985 and a portion of the ‘86 season. The 32-year-old was signed a a free agent and pitched well before suffering his injury in his third start.

Back to the Cubs: We’re facing a lefty today, so UL Washington goes to the two-hole. Also, Mike Diaz starts for Glenn Wilson, and Tommy Thompson is back in for Darren Daulton, who now has two hits this season.

Game 1985-15: Veterans Stadium - Cubs 4, Phillies 2 / 11-4

After starting the season 10-1, we’ve gone 1-3. Joe Carter hits a three-run home run in the first, and that’s all they need. Otherwise, on a rainy night when there’s a 27-minute delay, Scott Sanderson pitches well (6.2 IP, 4 ER, 7 H, 8 K, 2 BB).

April 27, 1985

Dick Howser is giving Mike Schmidt a rest for Mike Diaz. Steve Carlton is on the mound.

Game 1985-16: Veterans Stadium - Cubs 9, Phillies 4 / 11-5

We have a 4-2 lead in the seventh when Steve Carlton implodes, giving up four earned. A Ron Cey pinch-hit double really hurts. Tough to lose this series.

April 28, 1985

Game 1985-17: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 6, Cubs 1 / 12-5

A necessary win, as John Denny throws 8.1 solid innings. Von Hayes goes 5-for-5 with two doubles, while Darren Daulton hits a very satisfying three-run homer.

At AAA Portland, SP John Machin goes down with a herniated disk, a six-week injury.

No awards for us this week, and as for the power rankings:

1. Cincinnati Reds - 14-5
2. Milwaukee Brewers - 12-5
3. PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES - 12-5
4. Boston Red Sox - 12-6
5. Los Angeles Dodgers - 13-7

The Reds are pretty wild. C Butch Wynegar, who was just named NL Player of the Week, has a .435 OBP, while 23-year-old starter Jay Tibbs has a 0.75 ERA in 24 innings, and closer John Franco has a scoreless 10 innings to his name. But the weird thing: Pete Rose, who announced back in 1984 that he was retiring at season’s end, decided to come back and is 4-for-9 with his old team. I guess he couldn’t remove that bandage.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:22 PM   #97
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

April 29, 1985

Back home for a series against Montreal.

Game 1985-18: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 2, Expos 1 / 13-5

Tight. The Expos are up 1-0 in the eighth when Von Hayes strikes a double to score UL Washington. Then in the ninth, Mike Schmidt singles, Darren Daulton walks, then two consecutive passed balls allow Schmidty to score to win it. Take that, Gary Carter.

Meantime, Charles Hudson’s ERA is down to 0.92.

April 30, 1985

Game 1985-19: Veterans Stadium - Expos 8, Phillies 4 (11) / 13-6

An .092 hitter, Bill Moore hits a grand slam in the 11th. This after coming back to tie it in the ninth via a Glenn Wilson single. I’m not completely blaming Bill Campbell yet, but he gets the loss.

In better news, Mike Schmidt is named National League Batter of the Month. Meanwhile, American League Rookie of the Month is first-overall draft pick Barry Bonds, who hit .484 in 31 April at bats. He is one of a handful of players from the ‘85 draft who are already in the big leagues. Yikes.

May 1, 1985

It’s not that we need to win this finale, but that we really should.

Game 1985-20: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 5, Expos 3 / 14-6

Good win. We score four in the fourth thanks to a Mike Schmidt double, UL Washington single, Dave Stegman triple, and Von Hayes single. Then we hold on for dear life. Tug McGraw, Larry Andersen and Kenneth Walker team up and finish off the final two innings for Scott Sanderson (6 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 K, 4 BB) and Don Carman (1 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 1 BB).

May 2, 1985

Through the first month of the season, here’s where our guys stand in the National League leaderboards:

Hitters

Batting Average

2. Mike Schmidt - .394
4. Von Hayes - .378

Home Runs

1. Mike Schmidt - 6
2. Von Hayes - 5

Runs Batted In

1. Mike Schmidt - 24
T6. Glenn Wilson - 15

On-Base Percentage

1. Mike Schmidt - .488
6. Von Hayes - .404

Slugging Percentage

1. Mike Schmidt - .742
2. Von Hayes - .611

WAR

1. Mike Schmidt - 1.6
2. Von Hayes - 1.3

Hits

1. Von Hayes - 34
T5. Mike Schmidt - 26

Runs

T1. Von Hayes - 19
T1. Mike Schmidt - 19
T4. Juan Samuel - 17

Doubles

T2. Glenn Wilson - 7

Triples

T2. Juan Samuel - 2

Total Bases

1. Von Hayes - 55
2. Mike Schmidt - 49

Stolen Bases

1. Juan Samuel - 12

Walks

T3. Mike Schmidt - 14
5. Darren Daulton - 13

Isolated Power

1. Mike Schmidt - .348
2. Glenn Wilson - .271
4. Von Hayes - .233

Pitching

Earned Run Average

2. Charles Hudson - 0.92

Wins

T5. Steve Carlton - 3

WHIP

7. Steve Carlton - 0.96

Fielding Independent Pitching

7. John Denny - 2.55

Holds

T1. Larry Andersen - 2
T1. Donnie Moore - 2

Quality Starts

T4. Kevin Gross - 4

What this tells me is Schmidt deserved his NL Batter of the Month award. And if he’s the MVP frontrunner, then Hayes might be second.

May 3, 1985
  • SP Rodger Cole promoted to AAA Portland

Cole was in extended spring training, but now he joins the Beavers since John Machin hit the IL.

Game 1985-21: Veterans Stadium - Astros 5, Phillies 2 / 14-7

Feels like a game from last season, with Steve Carlton keeping the team in the game, but the offense doesn’t live up to its end of the bargain, and a reliever implodes late (in this case, Donnie Moore).

May 4, 1985

More bad news, as 19-year-old SP Len Watts has torn his UCL in extended spring training. He’ll miss the entire 1985 season with R Bend.

Game 1985-22: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 17, Astros 2 / 15-7

Whoa. We score in every inning but the first and second with Mike Schmidt getting the night off. Juan Samuel smashes a three-run home run, UL Washington, Paul Molitor, and Glenn Wilson go 3-for-5, we take seven walks in the game.

May 5, 1985

Game 1985-23: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 2, Astros 1 / 16-7

Astros’ pitcher Mike Scott is, as per usual, dealing, but we inch out a run in the fourth thanks to a Von Hayes double and Mike Schmidt single. Then in the sixth, Juan Samuel knocks his third home run. Charles Hudson goes a strong 7.2 innings (7 H, 1 ER, 4 K, 2 BB), while Bill Campbell closes the door in the last 1.1 IP. After a minor stumble, we’re back to our season-high mark of nine over .500.

Small note in this game: Astros' first-round pick Barry Larkin, called up before our series, notched his first-career hit, a double.

And in the news, Juan Samuel gets NL Player of the Week honors! He hit .400 with 2 HR and 5 RBI to win the award. He’s now hitting a very comfortable .308/.357/.484.

Meanwhile, 1B Eddie Murray agreed to a five-year, $6.6M extension with Baltimore. The 29-year-old is hitting .337 with 11 HR and 24 RBI this year, running away with the AL home run title so far. Baltimore is 10-13.

And this week’s power rankings:

1. Cincinnati Reds - 17-7
2. PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES - 16-7
3. Boston Red Sox - 16-9
4. Milwaukee Brewers - 16-8
5. St. Louis Cardinals - 13-8

Next up for us? A two-game mid-week set against those Reds.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:20 PM   #98
progen
All Star Starter

Always liked Charles Hudson. Thought he would end up as a decent starter, but never panned out for him. Phils traded him to the Yankees for two stiffs, and his career ended with the Tigers in 1989.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:08 AM   #99
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

Yeah, here Hudson outperformed his real-life 1984 pretty well, so I'm more optimistic in his staying power so far. Would love for him and Gross to make up a good young pitching core. Maybe Downs in there, too.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:15 AM   #100
The_Myth
Minors (Double A)

May 6, 1985

Orel Hershiser is having a breakout season. He tosses a one-hit shutout against the Cubs, striking out nine and walking two. He now has a 1.07 ERA on this season, with 32 strikeouts and six walks.

May 7, 1985

Just a two-gamer coming up with the Reds, but we’re talking the National League’s top two clubs at the moment. Should be fun!

Game 1985-24: Veterans Stadium - Phillies 5, Reds 0 / 17-7

A heck of a job by Kevin Gross (7.1 IP, 4 H, 4 K, 2 BB), with Kenneth Walker and Don Carman finishing it off. Dave Stegman homers (it’s his fourth), while Mike Schmidt continues his scorching hitting, notching three base hits and getting on base every time up. Von Hayes adds three hits and two RBI.

May 8, 1985

Game 1985-25: Veterans Stadium - Reds 4, Phillies 0 / 17-8

We get almost nothing from the offense today, stymied by Mario Soto, who lowers his ERA to 4.88. Yuck. Still, Mike Schmidt gets two more hits and a walk. On fire.

May 9, 1985

Tough news out of St. Louis: SP Jerry Koosman is out four months with bone chips in his elbow. Koosman, 42, was 3-1 with a 2.43 ERA this season. And apparently in New York, Yankees 2B Toby Harrah wants to be traded. He’s not getting regular playing time despite hitting .273/.385/.409; of course, the team’s top second baseman is Willie Randolph. He must’ve known going in?

May 10, 1985

Going to Shea Stadium, and it’s time to face Dwight Gooden once again.

Game 1985-26: Shea Stadium - Mets 4, Phillies 3 / 17-9

Questionable decision by Dick Howser to turn to Donnie Moore with a lefty Darryl Strawberry at the plate with two on and two out in the seventh. It hurt, as Straw singled home a run. Keith Hernandez, also a lefty, singled to give the Mets the lead and, ultimately, the win. With a 7.36 ERA, it has not been a good start for Moore.

Tonight for the Royals, Hal McRae collected his career 2,000th hit. At age 39, he’s probably close to finished, but a great accomplishment nonetheless.

May 11, 1985

Howser wants to sit Mike Schmidt tonight. I’ll go with him on this one ...

Game 1985-27: Shea Stadium - Mets 12, Phillies 1 / 17-10

It wouldn’t have mattered, as John Denny puts up the worst start of the season so far. The offense gets nothing going. Our third-straight loss. Hopefully this isn’t an indication of some bad times to come.

May 12, 1985

Game 1985-28: Shea Stadium - Phillies 4, Mets 0 / 18-10

An elixir of a win, with Charles Hudson blanking New York for eight innings (3 R, 2 K, 1 BB). He is the only qualified starter remaining in baseball with an ERA under 1.00 (0.80). Von Hayes with three hits including a double, and Mike Schmidt knocks a two-run insurance single in the ninth; he’s hitting .414.

Kirk Gibson is named the American League Player of the Week, while Darryl Strawberry (we can attest) took home National League honors. Also, California SP Geoff Zahn has announced he’ll retire at the end of the season. Zahn is 107-119 with a 3.97 ERA over his 13-year career that includes stints with the Dodgers, Cubs, Twins, and now Angels.

Finally, the power rankings. We went just 2-3 this week, so ...

1. Detroit Tigers - 18-9
2. Cincinnati Reds - 20-9
3. Milwaukee Brewers - 19-10
4. PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES - 18-10
5. San Diego Padres - 18-11

Now it’s off to Riverfront Stadium for a big two-gamer against the Reds.