Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 11-25-2019, 06:24 PM   #681
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
It's a bunch of crap IMO. Obviously Brady has to hit a wall sooner or later, I'm just not sure that's the reason now. Just like in 2013, Brady doesn't have much of an offense to work with. Did he hit a wall then?

Too many people make the mistake in thinking QB's play in a vacuum, either that or they just want something to write about. Your supporting cast matters.
Yep

It could end up this year to where the Pats are eliminated in the AFC playoffs, which has happened just as many times as it has not during the Brady & Belichick run.

This year - depending upon what stat you use to rank teams - the Patriots offense is somewhere between middle-of-the-pack and top 5, and their defense is pretty much 1st or 2nd. So, given that, I'd say their ceiling is The Lombardi, and their floor is a loss in the AFC title game to the Ravens. That said, given their relatively weak schedule so far, losses in their next two games - on the road vs Houston and at home vs the Chiefs - would significantly change both the diagnosis and prognosis.
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:56 PM   #682
slic1149
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Anyone been to the Hall of Fame in Canton? How many days would you set aside? 1? 2? Or even 3? I like to take my time at museums and such rather than just fly by everything.
I visited 20 years ago so I imagine they have more stuff. When I was there we spent a full day and felt pretty good about "doing" the entire museum. My guess is you will want more than one day if you would like to savor the experience. I doubt you would need three.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:41 PM   #683
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Could this season end in a Niners vs Ravens SB rematch?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:43 PM   #684
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
Certainly one of the more-likely matchups. And I think we can pretty much rule out the Rams returning to the Super Bowl this year. What a pathetic performance tonight. I get that the Ravens are the real deal (really good), but the Rams are looking like the Dolphins did in week one.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:01 AM   #685
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
Certainly one of the more-likely matchups. And I think we can pretty much rule out the Rams returning to the Super Bowl this year. What a pathetic performance tonight. I get that the Ravens are the real deal (really good), but the Rams are looking like the Dolphins did in week one.
Niners vs Ravens won't happen because the NFL doesn't want the media talking more about Kaepernick.

Seriously though, the 49ers are good, but the Seahawks just beat them. Whoever wins their week 17 matchup will probably have the leg up in the playoffs, and the Seahawks tend to get better as the season goes on.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:32 AM   #686
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post
Niners vs Ravens won't happen because the NFL doesn't want the media talking more about Kaepernick.
How would that matchup lead to a bunch of talk about Kaepernick? I mean, I know he last played for the Niners, but I don't see how that would generate anything more than passing commentary. And regardless, I find it hard to believe the NFL would actually tell the refs to make calls against for the 49ers for that reason. Seems like a bit of a reach to me... Besides, with the state of current NFL reffing, if NFL told them to do that, they'd blow it...
Old 11-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #687
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

I've had the 'pleasure' of watching a lot of the Patriots this season. What I've seen is Brady has had one of those wtf 5-yards-off-the-target throws that he'd usually have once a game, once or twice a quarter instead. Obviously context needs to be applied to the Patriots' recent offensive struggles; they've been banged up at receiver and on the o-line. But at this point I think I've seen enough off-target throws to say Brady's taken a step back and isn't the same guy. Unfortunately they still have the defense capable of carrying them.

It's also unfortunate that Baltimore is the only other legit team in the AFC, because I just get the feeling they won't justify the hype come postseason. Not that they will fall flat on their face, but they've been about as healthy as a team based around running the ball can be. I could see the Chiefs making a run but it'd probably have to run through Baltimore with New England being upset by someone else for them to do it. At least the NFC side of things should be really interesting.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #688
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
This would be hilarious, and fitting, because of Greg Roman.

Greg Roman was the abysmal Offensive "Coordinator" during the Niners/Ravens Superbowl. His play calling at the end of that game was beyond botched. Not even Andy Reid could have botched the end of the game that bad.

So it would be fitting for him to **** the bed at the end of another Niners/Ravens SB, but for the Ravens this time. It's only a matter of time before Greg Roman pulls a Greg Roman.
Old 11-26-2019, 04:17 PM   #689
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We can almost rule out the Rams making the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman576 View Post

Seriously though, the 49ers are good, but the Seahawks just beat them. Whoever wins their week 17 matchup will probably have the leg up in the playoffs, and the Seahawks tend to get better as the season goes on.
Don't rule out the Saints. Simply because it's going to be hard for any team to go there and win in the playoffs. My guess is the #1 seed will get there.

Oh yeah, and the Packers will get stomped again in the playoffs despite having the best QB ever. It's a mystery.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 04:23 PM   #690
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Semifinalists for Canton 2020.......... This list will be whittled down to 15.

Steve Atwater, S – 1989-1998 Denver Broncos, 1999 New York Jets

Carl Banks, LB – 1984-1992 New York Giants, 1993 Washington Redskins, 1994-95 Cleveland Browns

Ronde Barber, CB/S – 1997-2012 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tony Boselli, T – 1995-2001 Jacksonville Jaguars, 2002 Houston Texans

Isaac Bruce, WR – 1994-2007 Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams, 2008-09 San Francisco 49ers

LeRoy Butler, S – 1990-2001 Green Bay Packers | (Times as a Semifinalist: 3 – 2018-2020)

Alan Faneca, G – 1998-2007 Pittsburgh Steelers, 2008-09 New York Jets, 2010 Arizona Cardinals

Torry Holt, WR – 1999-2008 St. Louis Rams, 2009 Jacksonville Jaguars

Steve Hutchinson, G – 2001-05 Seattle Seahawks, 2006-2011 Minnesota Vikings, 2012 Tennessee Titans

Edgerrin James, RB – 1999-2005 Indianapolis Colts, 2006-08 Arizona Cardinals, 2009 Seattle Seahawks

John Lynch, FS – 1993-2003 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2004-07 Denver Broncos

Clay Matthews, LB – 1978-1993 Cleveland Browns, 1994-96 Atlanta Falcons

Sam Mills, LB – 1986-1994 New Orleans Saints, 1995-97 Carolina Panthers

Troy Polamalu, S – 2003-2014 Pittsburgh Steelers

Simeon Rice, DE – 1996-2000 Arizona Cardinals, 2001-06 Tampa Bay Buccaneers, 2007 Denver Broncos, 2007 Indianapolis Colts

Richard Seymour, DE/DT – 2001-08 New England Patriots, 2009-2012 Oakland Raiders

Steve Tasker, ST/WR – 1985-86 Houston Oilers, 1986-1997 Buffalo Bills

Fred Taylor, RB – 1998-2008 Jacksonville Jaguars, 2009-2010 New England Patriots

Zach Thomas, LB – 1996-2007 Miami Dolphins, 2008 Dallas Cowboys

Hines Ward, WR – 1998-2011 Pittsburgh Steelers

Ricky Watters, RB – 1992-94 San Francisco 49ers, 1995-97 Philadelphia Eagles, 1998-2001 Seattle Seahawks

Reggie Wayne, WR – 2001-2014 Indianapolis Colts

Patrick Willis, LB – 2007-2014 San Francisco 49ers

Darren Woodson, S – 1992-2003 Dallas Cowboys

Bryant Young, DT – 1994-2007 San Francisco 49ers
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-26-2019, 06:20 PM   #691
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We can almost rule out the Rams making the playoffs.
Right/agree. That was kinda my point but I was apparently lacking the requisite amount of sarcasm

Quote:
Don't rule out the Saints. Simply because it's going to be hard for any team to go there and win in the playoffs. My guess is the #1 seed will get there.
Yep. They had the early-season dud in LA when Brees got hurt, and the horrid loss to the Falcons at home a few weeks ago (which was likely just a one-off), but otherwise their schedule-to-date is full of quality wins. I wouldn't bet against them in any home playoff game.

Quote:
Oh yeah, and the Packers will get stomped again in the playoffs despite having the best QB ever. It's a mystery.
In recent years it was usually Rodgers surrounded by an inferior supporting cast, generally going down in flames. This year has seemed different, but the recent loss to the Chargers and then the drubbing at the hands of the Niners makes one wonder if they are a contender, or still just one of the teams that will fill out the playoff brackets.
Old 11-27-2019, 06:04 AM   #692
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slic1149 View Post
I visited 20 years ago so I imagine they have more stuff. When I was there we spent a full day and felt pretty good about "doing" the entire museum. My guess is you will want more than one day if you would like to savor the experience. I doubt you would need three.
Yeah I was looking at 2 being the more likely for a sedate look round.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 09:03 AM   #693
damientheomen3
Hall Of Famer

Green Bay definitely isn't as good as 8-3 would imply, and it's been proven their young interior offensive line can really be exploited. The Chargers ran Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram up the middle of the line to harass Rodgers all game and the 49ers have a great interior as well, and flipped Nick Bosa to the right side after Brian Bulaga got hurt.

They're still lacking in weapons. Mind you I don't see a lot of Green Bay but I've always felt like Devante Adams is overrated (that might be because I saw them more when he was younger and dropped every other pass, as well as dropping some gems like "I'm making no excuses but I blame my gloves for the drops"), and otherwise he really has no one to throw to besides a decrepid Jimmy Graham. Aaron Jones is running well but his touchdown rate is unsustainable and primarily a product of a wealth of opportunities at the goal line (like Todd Gurley last season). Defensively they're solid but young so they've been inconsistent this year.

The blueprint has been set for how to beat the 2019 Packers: pressure up the middle. The best interior pass rushes they've faced (Philadelphia, San Diego using both their guys inside, and San Francisco who is dominant in every phase of pass rushing) have all beaten them. They have a light schedule to finish with Minnesota being the only tough team they have left, so they'll probably come out of the season with 10 or 11 wins, but I don't see them as a legitimate Super Bowl contender from the NFC.
damientheomen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:20 PM   #694
Ragnar
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
In recent years it was usually Rodgers surrounded by an inferior supporting cast, generally going down in flames. This year has seemed different, but the recent loss to the Chargers and then the drubbing at the hands of the Niners makes one wonder if they are a contender, or still just one of the teams that will fill out the playoff brackets.
I agree. I just don't think this year is any different. I just get aggravated when people make comments like Rodgers can win games by himself. Or as long as Rodgers is playing, the team is never out of it. It's just flat out false. He's not the QB that will elevate his team past just a slightly superior opponent. Give him a stacked team, yeah, he's tough to beat.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 12:45 PM   #695
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damientheomen3 View Post
Green Bay definitely isn't as good as 8-3 would imply, and it's been proven their young interior offensive line can really be exploited. The Chargers ran Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram up the middle of the line to harass Rodgers all game and the 49ers have a great interior as well, and flipped Nick Bosa to the right side after Brian Bulaga got hurt.

They're still lacking in weapons. Mind you I don't see a lot of Green Bay but I've always felt like Devante Adams is overrated (that might be because I saw them more when he was younger and dropped every other pass, as well as dropping some gems like "I'm making no excuses but I blame my gloves for the drops"), and otherwise he really has no one to throw to besides a decrepid Jimmy Graham. Aaron Jones is running well but his touchdown rate is unsustainable and primarily a product of a wealth of opportunities at the goal line (like Todd Gurley last season). Defensively they're solid but young so they've been inconsistent this year.

The blueprint has been set for how to beat the 2019 Packers: pressure up the middle. The best interior pass rushes they've faced (Philadelphia, San Diego using both their guys inside, and San Francisco who is dominant in every phase of pass rushing) have all beaten them. They have a light schedule to finish with Minnesota being the only tough team they have left, so they'll probably come out of the season with 10 or 11 wins, but I don't see them as a legitimate Super Bowl contender from the NFC.
Being a Packers fan I'd say they were a 6-5 team but not an 8-3 team, for a start they were lucky with the calls against Detroit. The win at Soldier Field was against an overhyped Bears team, I'd say with what I've seen of the Vikings there a better 8-3 team. However if they got to the play offs there a decent one of game team specially with Rodgers.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and all others stateside.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:20 PM   #696
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Happy Thanksgiving to you and all others stateside.
Thanks, UK.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:16 PM   #697
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Two things just happened on consecutive plays in the Bears/Lions game:

- First, Clinton Ha-Ha Dix was called for one of those boneheaded penalties: lining up in the neutral zone. If he's watching, I'm sure Cobra Mgr is shaking his head...

- Then, Kyle Fuller of the Bears made a great, open-field, touchdown-saving tackle that would send most defenders into a celebratory "look at me" frenzy. Yet Fuller just got up, low-fived a couple of teammates, and went about his business, almost as if he'd made really good plays before. Refreshing.

Just a couple of observations, that's all

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Last edited by thehef; 11-28-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:02 PM   #698
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

- First, Clinton Ha-Ha Dix was called for one of those boneheaded penalties: lining up in the neutral zone. If he's watching, I'm sure Cobra Mgr is shaking his head...
Fortunately, I wasn't watching Dix make a bone head play. Unfortunately, I was watching the Tar Heels basketball team make bone head plays.

4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 11-28-2019, 04:23 PM   #699
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Hey, hey, hey! Here's a game in which I can root for somebody (who may also win).

THE BUFFALO BILLS

Criteria:

1) They are a New York State team. Don't care that we are on opposite sides of said state. Go New York (state).!

2) They happen to be a decent team, who, unlike the Jets and Giants, may actually win if I root for them.

3) They are playing the Dallas Cowboys, a team that I don't like. I never say hate because I think that is overdone, but I don't like the Cowboys.

Go Bills! Sing the Buffalo Bills "Shout" Song!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:59 PM   #700
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Hey, hey, hey! Here's a game in which I can root for somebody (who may also win).

THE BUFFALO BILLS

Criteria:

1) They are a New York State team. Don't care that we are on opposite sides of said state. Go New York (state).!

2) They happen to be a decent team, who, unlike the Jets and Giants, may actually win if I root for them.

3) They are playing the Dallas Cowboys, a team that I don't like. I never say hate because I think that is overdone, but I don't like the Cowboys.

Go Bills! Sing the Buffalo Bills "Shout" Song!
The Bills have sorta been flying under the radar. I was surprised to hear a short time ago (Jim Nantz said on the broadcast) that Buffalo is two games ahead in the wild card race. I knew they were in the mix, but that's surprising... Hey, as far as I'm concerned, if a New York team is going to have success, it may as well be the Bills!