Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues > Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner

Earlier versions of OOTP: Commissioner's Corner Want to run an online league? Want to learn about the 'ins' and 'outs' of being a commish? This is the place!

Old 03-11-2009, 04:44 PM   #21
satchel
Hall Of Famer

It's pretty nice to be able to look at my site statistics, and know that they reflect human activity.

When 21 "guests" were browsing the forum of our 16-team league, something wasn't right. I know that the Jamaica League is popular with all the cool kids, but let's be realistic.
satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #22
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post
It's pretty nice to be able to look at my site statistics, and know that they reflect human activity.

When 21 "guests" were browsing the forum of our 16-team league, something wasn't right. I know that the Jamaica League is popular with all the cool kids, but let's be realistic.
Excellent news satchel!

Asahi2 Baseball ex-Commissioner(Historical League Since 2004)
www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)
f.montoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #23
CommishJoe
Global Moderator

Yeah, spammers are a royal pain in the rear end. Glad to hear you were able to eliminate them from your site.

Success isn’t owned. It’s leased. And rent is due every day.
CommishJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:17 AM   #24
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Just a quick update on the mini php script. It appears to slow down the speed at which the front page loads. So instead of adding it to the top of you index.php, add it to your php files that your registration pages use. This will keep your website running quickly while completely disallowing anyone using a proxy to register on your site.

www.allsimbaseball.com (OOTP web hosting - Customized sites for online leagues - Sign up, Connect OOTP and Play!)
Share Your Mods - Free, unlimited and easy to upload to share your Mods instantly(free site registration required)
Old 03-13-2009, 07:21 AM   #25
Comedian2004
Hall Of Famer

I thought this was a thread about the great pitcher:

Ready for this?

It is a good one.

Warren Spahn.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:38 PM   #26
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian2004 View Post
I thought this was a thread about the great pitcher:

Ready for this?

It is a good one.

Warren Spahn.
EDIT: I don't get it.

Last edited by f.montoya; 03-14-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:00 AM   #27
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

I've updated my first post to include the files with better instructions and a revision to where I recommend placing the script.

If your website was getting bombarded with spammers, either posting ads or even just registering, that bombardment can be reduced to merely an occasional pebble tossed at you.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #28
Comedian2004
Hall Of Famer

Warren Spahn : War on Spam
Old 03-15-2009, 01:10 AM   #29
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comedian2004 View Post
Warren Spahn : War on Spam
Lol. I was just kidding.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #30
satchel
Hall Of Famer

After a week with this new system, I am pleased.

My problem never was with getting spammed. My forum got spammed a few times, but it was all concentrated in a limited amount of time; I think there was a period of about three days in which my forum had some bogus registrations, and some resulting spam posts.

The thing I don't like is hacker 'bots crawling all over my site all the time. It used to be constant. For example, I'd always have numerous "guests" on my forum, and when I researched their IP addresses, 90% of the time, the "guests" were originating from hives of hacker activity: downtown San Jose, Costa Rica; shady precincts of Moscow; etc.

The worst was when my site actually got hacked. We got hit at least twice, maybe even three times; I can't remember exactly. Both times they inserted an i-frame, which was a redirect to a site which launched Adobe Reader to insert a Trojan onto the victim's machine. My own computer got infected twice, both times with twext.exe, and the cleaning process was hellish. Plus, every time that one trojan got a foothold, it would invite two or three more in, right away.

Even beyond these major attacks, every time that I simmed, and was uploading my files and reports after the sim, these foreign agents on my domain were doing things that would interrupt my uploads, opening and closing ports against my will, trying to work their evil. It was ridiculous.

I installed Fidel's safeguards a week ago. I liked the first version best, with the scripts right on the php index pages, but it was too restrictive when some systems interfaced with it. So I moved the scripts to the forum registration page. In the first couple of days after installing everything, I was still getting 'bots, but they didn't stay long (before, they would linger). Now I don't see any at all. I figure that they're still trying, so I don't know if they're stopping by so briefly that I'm missing them, or what. But I'm not having the problems I was before. No one is fiddling with my ports; no one is interrupting my uploads.

Fidel has really helped me out personally, and he has benefitted my league. I know that not all of what he shared with us was his own original material, but without him, I never would have gotten hold of it. I have a deep appreciation for Fidel's work, and I sincerely thank him.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:13 AM   #31
kq76
Global Moderator

I got the strangest email today (I admin the CBL forums and my email address is attached to the forum so that's why I got it):

Quote:
Я русский форум Spammer. Пожалуйста, удалите мое внимание сразу.

I am Russian Forum Spammer. Please delete my account immediately.

------------------------------------
Mail.Ru - удобно, доступно, надежно!
------------------------------------
-by "Russian Spammer" (address available upon request)

The thing is, why? Is it just a joke? I don't think our forum sends out unsolicited emails.

Last edited by kq76; 03-20-2009 at 04:16 AM.
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:54 AM   #32
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the kind words, satchel. That is great to hear! In the first place I don't see why spammers would want to mess with such small gaming communities like we have with our online leagues. But it is nice that we can find answers to problems like this.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:05 AM   #33
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
I got the strangest email today (I admin the CBL forums and my email address is attached to the forum so that's why I got it):

-by "Russian Spammer" (address available upon request)

The thing is, why? Is it just a joke? I don't think our forum sends out unsolicited emails.
That is indeed strange. Sounds like he made some sort of mistake and is trying to get rid of evidence.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #34
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Surely it wasn't written by the fellow himself. It sounds like some defense mechanism has kicked in, and sent you that email, which is just written as if it came from the hacker's hand. It's probably not written that way to make you think he actually wrote it, it's just intended to be completely clear and unambiguous.

Perhaps his own ISP sends those out, when it catches one of its members hacking, due to some law or legal requirement; and the ISP sends it out from the hacker's own account.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #35
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL Forum
Most online today: 5
And they're all human! Thanks again FM.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #36
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchel View Post
And they're all human! Thanks again FM.
Nice!

Old 04-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #37
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Clear upswing in 'bot activity, these last few days.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #38
f.montoya
Hall Of Famer

Depending on what forum software you are using, you can add some noise to the confirmation code image. This deters a lot of bogus registrants. Keep an eye on your raw access logs as well. You can add these "bots'" IP's to your deny lists in the .htaccess file.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:09 AM   #39
satchel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.montoya View Post
You can add these "bots'" IP's to your deny lists in the .htaccess file.
Thanks for the reminder about this.

Huge upswing in 'bot activity in the last week. I don't know if the April 1 trojan has infected so many computers that the hackers have a new army of zombies with which to do their work, or what.

My site doesn't have many 'bot registrations—at this point, we've got enough layers of security to keep them from registering. I do like to keep them off of the site completely, though, if I can help it.