Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #1
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Top Prospects as Rule 5 Draft Picks

I managed to pick up the no. 12 (3B), 67 (C) and 89 (C) prospect according to the "official" OOTP scouting via the Rule 5 Draft.
Now I made the mistake before thinking I have picked up top prospects via this Draft while my scouting was actually overvaluing them. But should the AI really make such highly ranked players available? I mean not only my scouts think they are good, they are also high up the anual Top 100 prospect ranking.
geisterhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:43 PM   #2
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

They might get sent back.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:11 PM   #3
lukestephens2293
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgom27 View Post
They might get sent back.
they get sent back if you DFA them i think
Old 04-06-2020, 10:26 PM   #4
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterhome View Post
I managed to pick up the no. 12 (3B), 67 (C) and 89 (C) prospect according to the "official" OOTP scouting via the Rule 5 Draft.
Now I made the mistake before thinking I have picked up top prospects via this Draft while my scouting was actually overvaluing them. But should the AI really make such highly ranked players available? I mean not only my scouts think they are good, they are also high up the anual Top 100 prospect ranking.
Depends how young they are. You have to keep them in MLB the entire season except for injury and rehab or they get sent back to the original team.

If they are really young like A or rookie ball players the other teams might not have wanted to waste a 40 man spot on them so took a chance no one would pick them up.

It also depends on how good those other teams are and how their 40 man roster looks. If they are stacked with prospects or just got stuck with a full 40 man then those teams are out of luck unless they do some trades which I'm not sure if the AI can handle that type of logic. Every now and then a real MLB team will get stuck the same way its just incredibly hard to keep a player on the active roster if they are far from developed.

Now if the guys you picked up were AA or AAA players then I would question those teams and how they are handling the 40 man.

I know myself I might get stuck with some international guy who I brought out of the complex early at 16/17 but if they are still far from AA/AAA/MLB then I don't protect them because I don't want to give them a MLB contract which starts that arbitration/contract clock.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #5
geisterhome
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Depends how young they are. You have to keep them in MLB the entire season except for injury and rehab or they get sent back to the original team.

If they are really young like A or rookie ball players the other teams might not have wanted to waste a 40 man spot on them so took a chance no one would pick them up.

It also depends on how good those other teams are and how their 40 man roster looks. If they are stacked with prospects or just got stuck with a full 40 man then those teams are out of luck unless they do some trades which I'm not sure if the AI can handle that type of logic. Every now and then a real MLB team will get stuck the same way its just incredibly hard to keep a player on the active roster if they are far from developed.

Now if the guys you picked up were AA or AAA players then I would question those teams and how they are handling the 40 man.

I know myself I might get stuck with some international guy who I brought out of the complex early at 16/17 but if they are still far from AA/AAA/MLB then I don't protect them because I don't want to give them a MLB contract which starts that arbitration/contract clock.
Im a year later now with those 3 on my 26 man roster. The higher ranked of the 2 catchers had a really good 2.8 WAR season. He had been in AAA for 1,5 years before with his previous team. That team would have been better off keeping him, their best catcher had 2.4 WAR and his replacement -0.7. He would have been their best DH too.
The 2nd catcher was in high A and had a negative WAR as replacement on my MLB roster, his potential even improved though and I believe his previous team would have been better off putting him on their 40 man at least. He should be MLB ready the upcoming season. The 3B didnt have a good season (-0.7WAR) but still got a high potential and is ranked the no. 12 prospect right now. He was in AA before that. The are 21,21 and 23 years old. Certainly none of them much more than 1 or max 2 years away from being MLB ready.
If I had a contending team I probably would have been wrong picking the latter 2 up via the Rule 5 Draft but even worse if a team didnt find a space on their 40man roster at least for that caliber of players/prospects.
Anyways that was just one draft and maybe the next years such players wont be exposed. If so I might apply house rules that prevent me from improving my prospect pool that easily.
geisterhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 06:18 PM   #6
eas9898
Minors (Single A)

That's really strange. I have played over 30 seasons with 21 (MLB), and I haven't seen even a 4 star POT prospect available on the Rule 5, even after the league reduced the 40 man list to 38.
eas9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 11:03 PM   #7
TomVeal
All Star Starter

If the two 21-year-olds were eligible for the Rule 5 draft a year ago, they must have started their pro careers at age 15!
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 12:49 AM   #8
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
If the two 21-year-olds were eligible for the Rule 5 draft a year ago, they must have started their pro careers at age 15!
If they are ever cut and resigned then it messes with eligibility.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #9
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
If they are ever cut and resigned then it messes with eligibility.
I claim no expertise on a rule that is as impenetrable as parts of the Babylonian Talmud, but I can't think of a scenario in which a 20-year-old could be eligible for the Rule 5 draft. Maybe someone else can.
Old 04-13-2020, 02:46 PM   #10
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Mlb real rule if a player gets cut while not rule 5 eligible and is signed by another organization he is instantly rule 5 eligible unless he is on 40 man. Could even be an 18 yr old who was cut.
Old 04-13-2020, 07:09 PM   #11
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
Mlb real rule if a player gets cut while not rule 5 eligible and is signed by another organization he is instantly rule 5 eligible unless he is on 40 man. Could even be an 18 yr old who was cut.
I didn't know that. Thanks.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #12
byzeil
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is a couple years old but I have a GM asking about R5 eligibility. Would anyone happen to have a link to the official MLB rule regarding the R5 and specifically this part of the rule?
byzeil is offline   Reply With Quote