Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #1
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Some thoughts after NCAA Final game.

IMO, the game was lost in the 1st half when Saban went for it on 4th down in his own territory. Yes, they converted. But the message it sent both sidelines affected the outcome. To the Tide D, he was saying he didn't have an answer for Clemson's attack. "I can't offer you any guidance. I don't trust you guys to stop them. I have no adjustments to give you at half time." In other words, panic. And I think Clemson & their staff smelled that fear......

......Don't think what follows is an attempt to downgrade Lawrence. I recognize the talent. The calm. He could develop into a legit pro QB. And I just know the media is going to make me pull against him as they overheap the praise on everything he does. Trevor had a good game.

But so did just about everybody else wearing orange. I told friends pregame that if Clemson's o-line played well, they would win by 6. If not, Bama by 10 or more. Trevor Lawrence was never bothered by Bama's D. Since when have you seen the Tide's front 7 never get the QB on the ground? The Tigers WR's appeared to be more physically gifted that the Crimson secondary. So Lawrence had open targets throughout the night......

......And it is that superior advantage that affected Tua's performance and could hinder Trevor's development. Just about anyone can play QB when you have a clean pocket. Just about anyone can play QB when the guys in the pattern have a yard's distance from the defender just about every pass play. But what happens when that gap narrows? When the protection has breaks every once in awhile? When the D has no reason to acknowledge your play action fakes? Tua has had similar advantages up to this point. He had never faced adversity. But he struggled vs UGa and had a mediocre game last night. Lawrence is going to have the same scenario in the next 2 seasons.

That is why as an NFL owner, I wouldn't want a QB from a football factory. Look at the NFL rosters. How many starting QB's are from, @ the time of graduation, NCAA powerhouses? Brady from Michigan, Mariotta from Oregon, Mayfield from Oklahoma, Winston from FSU. That's about it. No Tide, no Buckeyes. It's NCSt, Miami (OH), Purdue, N.Dakota St. It's nice to be able to hit the open man and no pass rusher within 2 steps of you. You gotta be able to make plays when the TE has to stay in to help w/the opposing DE. When your pre snap reads are necessary because your wideouts aren't going to out run the coverage. Adjust. Find a way to make it work. Be the plus when all other factors are even......

......Keep in mind I'm only privy to the statements the media reports. But I was disappointed in the quotes from the Tide after the loss. I think it is important to look inwardly first when undesired results come about. But in competition I think you also should credit the other team as well when you lose. I'm sure the Tide didn't play as they expected. I'm sure some people were out of position. I'm sure some plays they usually make didn't pan out. But I'm also sure Clemson had some part in that as well. The Tide may have not made plays in big situations. But give the Tigers credit for taking advantage of opportunities when they presented themselves.

Tua's INT's were horrible throws. Yet Clemson's secondary took advantage, made it count, & returned them for big yards resulting in pts & field position. The Tide's fake punt was a curiously horrible, panicky & stupid decision. But Clemson was ready and stayed in a base defense ready to make the stop. Untimely luck when a corner hurt himself in coverage. But give the Clemson WR credit for taking it to the house. Bama couldn't convert key 4th downs in the 2nd half. But much of that was due to Clemson hunkering down in those moments. Bama didn't make the plays they usually make. But Clemson did. Give them their props......

.......I wrote this at the end of last season....
Quote:
I can't say college football is boring. But I can't say there is any suspense to it. As far as the national title is concerned, that is. It's not just that the Tide won again. It's the fact you look @ the waaaayy too early preseason rankings and what do you see? Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State. This doesn't affect me in other sports. Cause I know things will be settled on the field/court/diamond etc. A team can earn their way to the top.

But I know that's not the case in college football. I can sit right here & tell you right now the above 3, Oklahoma, USC, & Notre Dame do not have to worry about a loss taking them out of national title consideration. Heck, if they "lose good" @ the right time, they might be able to endure 2. They have that advantage right out of the gate. A select few. But I can also tell you right now out of the gate there @ least 90, if not more, schools who will have little to no shot of making the final 4 even if they win each game they play. There are no Cinderella stories in NCAA football. No Hoosier seasons. No "Do you believe in miracles?" calls in the future.......

I'm not saying the Bamas, OSUs & Clemsons have done anything wrong. They are doing what they are supposed to do. It is much like the complaint people had last spring about the Warriors & Cavs. You can't help it if all the talent wants to join you. Their job is to do all they can to win. But the NBA offers a reward if the have-nots step their game up. College football offers no hope. Thus, no suspense..........

My thoughts are still the same.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote